Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SupahCoolX
Jul 2, 2005

Gurz posted:

All the whining of the Sony-victims itt finally convinced me to invest into m43 - 14mm and 20mm here we go. I'm (from my current point of view) going to miss out on focus peaking and a less aggressive crop factor for my legacy lenses, but m43 seems to be on a roll.
Don't forget the Olympus 45mm for portraits (if that's your thing) to complete the "holy trinity" of affordable m43 primes. Also, you can get the 14mm on eBay for like $160 (parted out from kits in Asia), and it's a steal at that price.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pompous Rhombus
Mar 11, 2007

LiquidRain posted:

I have a friend who wants to buy a camera for her dad similar to what she saw me using with my NEX-7, but without spending the $1300 for a NEX-7. What m4/3rds camera should I recommend for an ol' coot? Something at or under $400 (with a lens) and performs well? I see a few Lumixes and Olympuses at that price. The father used to do a lot of film shooting and even his own development, so learning curve shouldn't be a big issue when it comes to the camera menu systems. Recommendations for models?

Tell her to figure out what film system her dad uses (assuming he still has his film stuff) and grab an adapter on eBay for it to go along with it. Even with the crop, guy would probably get a kick out of using his old lenses on a new camera,

Startyde
Apr 19, 2007

come post with us, forever and ever and ever
I'd probably go for the GX1. They're starting to come down, there was a slickdeal the other day wih kit lens for about 400.
I love my GF1, but the GF1/2/3 are mostly the same outside of image processing improvements(and dumbing down of UI). So GX1 or one of the Pens is the way to go, IMO.

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

I keep hoping for the OM-D to come down in price, or you know, be available at all. :saddowns:

aluminumonkey
Jun 19, 2002

Reggie loves tacos

spankmeister posted:

I keep hoping for the OM-D to come down in price, or you know, be available at all. :saddowns:

Place around the corner from me has them in stock. I think it is the 18-42mm bundle.

If I make my decision today, I am stopping over there today to return my nex 7 for that kit plus another lenses. Which should I get?

unleash the unicorn
Dec 23, 2004

If this boat were sinking, I'd give my life to save you. Only because I like you, for reasons and standards of my own. But I couldn't and wouldn't live for you.
20 and 45 are both affordable and great lenses

get the 20 first

wheres my beer
Apr 29, 2004

Tryin' to catch me ridin' dirty
Fun Shoe

Startyde posted:

I'd probably go for the GX1. They're starting to come down, there was a slickdeal the other day wih kit lens for about 400.
I love my GF1, but the GF1/2/3 are mostly the same outside of image processing improvements(and dumbing down of UI). So GX1 or one of the Pens is the way to go, IMO.
I'm in the same boat. Get a GX1 if you're going to use it as a primary camera. I've been hunting for a GF1 so I could have it IR converted since I really don't see the point of having a camera *with* a mirror converted if it's just going to be stuck in live view all of the time.

e: Oh it's $479 with a 14-42mm lens at Adoarma with free shipping.

wheres my beer fucked around with this message at 19:20 on Jul 11, 2012

signalnoise
Mar 7, 2008

i was told my old av was distracting
Just so happens if you're looking for the GX1 body only, that's the Amazon DOTD for $395

http://www.amazon.com/Panasonic-DMC-GX1-Compact-System-Camera/dp/B00604YTFM

wheres my beer
Apr 29, 2004

Fun Shoe

signalnoise posted:

Just so happens if you're looking for the GX1 body only, that's the Amazon DOTD for $395

Depending on where you live getting the camera with the lens may still be a better deal. In Washington Amazon.com charges us a sales tax so the body only works out to $440 actual vs 480 no tax from Adorama. It kind of makes me sad the GX1's remote port doesn't double as a mic port.

TheAngryDrunk
Jan 31, 2003

"I don't know why I know that; I took four years of Spanish."

signalnoise posted:

So tempting. I'm dying to see what Canon's mirrorless looks like in a couple of weeks.

Costello Jello
Oct 24, 2003

It had to start somewhere
Don't forget he wants to get a camera for an old man who probably won't be doing any RAW post-processing. I don't know about the GX1, because I haven't kept up with it, but for the older Panasonic and Olympus m4/3 cameras, I thought the color rendition and noise reduction in jpegs in the Olympus models was pretty significantly better.

LiquidRain
May 21, 2007

Watch the madness!

I did just recommend the GX1, but if she wants to bundle in a kit lens it likely won't get bought anyway. Trying to find out what her Dad's old equipment is, but I thought there were adapters for just about anything anyway.

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer

TheAngryDrunk posted:

So tempting. I'm dying to see what Canon's mirrorless looks like in a couple of weeks.

As someone who doesn't follow the rumor sites, is there confirmation to this? I know about that pancake lens which seemed to hint at a mirrorless system, but that's it.

Shmoogy
Mar 21, 2007

Flash Gordon Ramsay posted:

As someone who doesn't follow the rumor sites, is there confirmation to this? I know about that pancake lens which seemed to hint at a mirrorless system, but that's it.

http://www.canonrumors.com/2012/07/mirrorless-update-aps-c-cr2/

quote:

Going bigger?
We’ve mentioned in teh past that the upcoming mirrorless camera from Canon would have the G1 X sensor. While an apparent prototype exists using the sensor, the coming camera is apparently an APS-C sized sensor based around the 18mp sensor in the Rebel T4i (Hopefully the rubber grip isnt the same).

The camera will also feature an articulating touchscreen, and maybe larger than some people are anticipating.

More to come I’m sure. An announcement is expected on July 23, 2012.

It seems they're going to potentially challenge the Nex rather than Nikon/Pentax/everyone else. It should be interesting to see how it plays out, especially as if it's APS-C, they'll likely have a way to use EF lenses on it, and maybe even more pancakes.

Clayton Bigsby
Apr 17, 2005

Urgh, I hope they are not making a Canon version of the :downs: K-01.

TheAngryDrunk
Jan 31, 2003

Canon Rumors hasn't given it a CR3 rating yet, which would mean it's pretty much fact. But the new product announcement on July 23rd is fact and there have been rumblings of the mirrorless for a while now.

Dr. Despair
Nov 4, 2009

39 perfect posts with each roll.

You'll all be surprised (when it's their version of the Pentax Q)

Costello Jello
Oct 24, 2003

Shmoogy posted:

http://www.canonrumors.com/2012/07/mirrorless-update-aps-c-cr2/
It seems they're going to potentially challenge the Nex rather than Nikon/Pentax/everyone else. It should be interesting to see how it plays out, especially as if it's APS-C, they'll likely have a way to use EF lenses on it, and maybe even more pancakes.

That's a little disappointing if true. I was hoping they'd use the GX1 size sensor to keep the lenses size down. But maybe they think the micro4/3 system is too mature to beat, and they are confident they can put out some good but compact APS-C lenses, and be a strong competitor to Sony while it struggles with putting out more NEX lenses.

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Now that I've fallen in love with the X100, I'm hoping they go with retro styling and single purpose dials and whatnot. Make it look like my AE1 Program. but, you know, mirrorless.

rio
Mar 20, 2008

An AE-1 design mirrorless would be sweeeeet.

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

rio posted:

An AE-1 design mirrorless would be sweeeeet.

This would make perfect sense IMHO, exactly like what Olympus did with the OM-D.

I hope it's in the upper market segment at least so the OM-D will drop in price maybe hopefully.

Malcolm XML
Aug 8, 2009

I always knew it would end like this.

Now that I've fallen in love with the X100, I'm hoping they go with retro styling and single purpose dials and whatnot. Make it look like my AE1 Program. but, you know, mirrorless.

They should really just take this and produce it.

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer

printf posted:

They should really just take this and produce it.

Holy poo poo that dude is in my head. Though I don't know why you keep the lump for the pentaprism if you're going mirrorless.

edit: I guess I need to read what he envisioned.

krackmonkey
Mar 28, 2003

when the going gets weird, the weird turn pro...
I hope they have a well-planned and aggressive lens support strategy. Nikon really hasn't shown much love for their early adopters on their mirrorless system, so it would be nice for Canon to come out and really show folks how it's done.

That being said, the next Canon I buy will probably be a FF body. I don't think anyone's going to beat the OM-D this year, so I'm pleased as punch to finally land on a system that doesn't feel like a compromise.

TheAngryDrunk
Jan 31, 2003

signalnoise posted:

TheAngryDrunk posted:

Oh gently caress it! GX1 and 20mm f/1.7 ordered. :dance:

I'm hoping that I can take this camera with me more often than my DSLR.

And if Canon comes out with something that I must have, I know the resale value on this will be pretty good.

wheres my beer
Apr 29, 2004

Fun Shoe

TheAngryDrunk posted:

I'm hoping that I can take this camera with me more often than my DSLR.

And if Canon comes out with something that I must have, I know the resale value on this will be pretty good.

My GF2 comes everywhere with me. It's a lovely size and having flexibility with your lenses means you can have a little fun.

Grease Faucet
Feb 24, 2007
For that just-brushed feeling

TheAngryDrunk posted:

After years of debating what kind of setup I wanted to start getting into photography (almost pulled the trigger on a DSLR countless times), I just went with this exact combo. Any goons with this lens/setup have sample images or experiences they'd like to share? I've spent all day drooling over what's available on Amazon or DPReview but I'd love to see more.

Costello Jello
Oct 24, 2003

Flickr tag search is a good way to see lens/body combinations.

Grease Faucet
Feb 24, 2007
For that just-brushed feeling

Costello Jello posted:

Flickr tag search is a good way to see lens/body combinations.

I did not know this. Thanks!

Clayton Bigsby
Apr 17, 2005

Tried the 14/2.5 out today. Nice, fast focusing, compact, and very sharp little lens. Amazing what kind of quality they can get out of such compact glass.

That leaves me with the E-M5, 14/2.5, 20/1.7, and 45/1.8. Pretty happy with this setup.

Question is how much of my big Canon gear I dump now. :) Will definitely keep the 7D+500 for wildlife and birding, and probably the 1DsII + 100-400, PC-Nikkor and Samyang 14. The rest might be heading out the door though.

Startyde
Apr 19, 2007

come post with us, forever and ever and ever
^I dumped almost all my F mount gear when I switched to MFT. Kept a film body and a couple of my favorite lenses. That was a couple years ago, I can count the times I've used them on one hand. Most of the time I end up using my 35AF point and shoot rather than lug the SLR for film.

Nice picks though, I could shoot forever with that set up and maybe a tamron 90mm macro if/when they bring the drat thing over native. The adaptall version is great but I'm getting to old to not have AF. :v:

LiquidRain
May 21, 2007

Watch the madness!

Well, I think I'm likely to make a return to DSLR land. I was looking at the gear I'd buy were I to invest in Micro 4/3rds, and for what I like to shoot, it's nearly twice as expensive as Canon EF-S.

The only equivalent to my main-stay lens, the Tamron 17-50, is Panasonic's 12-35 f/2.8. And that Panasonic lens is even more expensive than Canon's 17-55 f/2.8 EF-S. (a lens I sold to get into the NEX :/ )

The second main-stay lens of mine (and a lens I hold near and dear to my heart) is the Tokina 11-16mm f/2.8. The closest thing is the a 7-14mm f/4, $300 more than I can get the Tokina back for. To fill in the large-aperture gap I'd need to pick up the not-quite-as-wide 12mm f/2 lens for $800. (and trust me, the 11mm end of the Tokina is the end I like the most - I like my wide angle to be just-barely-not-fisheye)

Add to that the usual assortment of pancakes, and there you have it. Also I'm tired of switching lenses out on my NEX. I've found out I just plain don't like changing lenses, and that I'm not a huge fan of primes. I'm going to follow Canon's announcement next week that's expected to be mirrorless, but I doubt I'm going to be impressed, so it's looking likely that I will return to DSLRs by picking up a used 60D or 7D.

Suggestions before I :shrug: and sell all my NEX gear and harumph my way back to Canon gear in a pile of tears from the money I've lost?

e: the alternate route is to pick up an Alpha adapter and get the equivalent lenses for my NEX, and keep the pancakes around for portability.

LiquidRain fucked around with this message at 17:06 on Jul 14, 2012

unleash the unicorn
Dec 23, 2004

If this boat were sinking, I'd give my life to save you. Only because I like you, for reasons and standards of my own. But I couldn't and wouldn't live for you.

LiquidRain posted:

Well, I think I'm likely to make a return to DSLR land. I was looking at the gear I'd buy were I to invest in Micro 4/3rds, and for what I like to shoot, it's nearly twice as expensive as Canon EF-S.

The only equivalent to my main-stay lens, the Tamron 17-50, is Panasonic's 12-35 f/2.8. And that Panasonic lens is even more expensive than Canon's 17-55 f/2.8 EF-S. (a lens I sold to get into the NEX :/ )

Suggestions before I :shrug: and sell all my NEX gear and harumph my way back to Canon gear in a pile of tears from the money I've lost?

No it's true. I had the same thought. I really want an OM-D and the Panasonic zoom lens, but for that kinda money I could get a 5D Mark II which probably still beats the hell out of the OM-D in terms of image quality.

Add to that that a normal prime (50mm 1.8) costs 100 bucks in Canonland and 300-400 in M4/3 country and I'm pretty disillusioned with the system, even though the lenses are great.

The only thing that ties me to Olympus is that I already own the 20 and the 45 primes and they've gone through hell with me so their resale value is probably pretty low even though they work fine. (Which, on the other hand, is something that speaks for the M4/3s system. I dropped both lenses more than once onto hard concrete and they both still work like a charm. I dropped the Canon kit zoom once and the autofocus was gone)

TLDR: Photography is expensive and whatever choice you make youre gonna regret it. M4/3 is in no way a "cheaper alternative" to Canon or Nikon.

Clayton Bigsby
Apr 17, 2005

unleash the unicorn posted:

TLDR: Photography is expensive and whatever choice you make youre gonna regret it. M4/3 is in no way a "cheaper alternative" to Canon or Nikon.

Yeah, that is quite true. Today you can get a Canon/Nikon setup with decent glass for not a lot of coin. If I wanted a set of good zooms that didn't cost a fortune M43 would be right out for me; being a prime shooter though I am happy to have fast, compact, sharp lenses that are reasonably affordable.

RustedChrome
Jun 10, 2007

"do not hold the camera obliquely, or the world will seem to be on an inclined plane."

Clayton Bigsby posted:

Yeah, that is quite true. Today you can get a Canon/Nikon setup with decent glass for not a lot of coin. If I wanted a set of good zooms that didn't cost a fortune M43 would be right out for me; being a prime shooter though I am happy to have fast, compact, sharp lenses that are reasonably affordable.

I had a good Canon set with nice lenses. I never wanted to lug it around with me so it was worthless most of the time. That's why I sold most of it off and went mirrorless. Now I am happy to have a nice camera with me almost everywhere I go. It's a trade off and it certainly depends on how and what you like to shoot.

LiquidRain
May 21, 2007

Watch the madness!

unleash the unicorn posted:

I see what you mean by regrets - no matter what I buy at this point, I will be disappointed in some aspect of it. If I go back to DSLR I'm going to loathe the weight and size, if I stick with NEX-7 plus the LA-EA1 adapter I will be disappointed with AF performance but be able to choose when I want the weight and size. (I shoot too much low light to go with the SLT/LA-EA2 adapter) Micro 4/3rds and I'll regret the heaps of money I'm going to have to spend but have most of the best of both worlds. (the sticking point there is I seriously cannot afford the m4/3rds for what I'd want it for)

RustedChrome posted:

I had a good Canon set with nice lenses. I never wanted to lug it around with me so it was worthless most of the time. That's why I sold most of it off and went mirrorless. Now I am happy to have a nice camera with me almost everywhere I go. It's a trade off and it certainly depends on how and what you like to shoot.
This is why I'm leaning towards adapting and buying Alpha lenses - if I know I'm going to want the flexibility of a good zoom, I don't mind bringing the weight around. If I know I'm going to want something light, or if I know I'm bringing along the camera without the intention of shooting but just in case I *want* to shoot, then I have the option of the tiny pancake package.

[edit] If this is how fast the LA-EA1 focuses then no way in hell am I buying it. I consider the NEX-7 slow enough as it is! And no, I'm not willing to live with the LA-EA2's incoming light hit. That's a line I'm not crossing.

LiquidRain fucked around with this message at 18:21 on Jul 15, 2012

wheres my beer
Apr 29, 2004

Fun Shoe
Hay guys i got an olympus pen!

:haw:

accipter
Sep 12, 2003
Some pretty funky lenses. Too bad they only support Olympus 4/3

http://lensbaby.com/lenses

Edit: vvv Thanks. Actually, they support a range of mounts mounts for these Mirrorless cameras: Samsung NX, Panasonic Lumix™ G Micro System, Olympus PEN®, and Sony® α NEX digital cameras.

accipter fucked around with this message at 21:47 on Jul 18, 2012

wheres my beer
Apr 29, 2004

Fun Shoe

accipter posted:

Some pretty funky lenses. Too bad they only support Olympus 4/3

http://lensbaby.com/lenses

They sell NEX and MFT models of their lenses, but I'd rather spend a few more dollar and get an adapter so I can use their lens on another system.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Schmerm
Sep 1, 2000
College Slice
Welp, I got an OM-D yesterday and so begins my journey into Micro 4/3rds land. I had to read many reviews to convince me that the "downgrade" from my APS-sized NEX sensor isn't that big a deal, especially combined with all the nice juicy features the OM-D offers (the image stabilization is awesome!).

With the 12-50 kit lens, the OM-D is kinda heavy for a mirrorless. The 20mm 1.7 pancake lens should fix that. I hope I can sell the kit lens for a reasonable price on craigslist or whatever.