Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Lovely Joe Stalin
Jun 12, 2007

Our Lovely Wang

S.J. posted:

Ork Buggies :colbert:

Buggies are as big as the Orks want them to be. I reiterate, the Leman Russ is most in need.

Lovely Joe Stalin fucked around with this message at 18:20 on Jul 12, 2012

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

S.J.
May 19, 2008

Just who the hell do you think we are?

Rapey Joe Stalin posted:

Buggies are as big as you the Orks want them to be. I reiterate, the Leman Russ is most in need.

Look at how wrong and awful this post is.

Lovely Joe Stalin
Jun 12, 2007

Our Lovely Wang
Look at how wrong and awful the Leman Russ is.

numerrik
Jul 15, 2009

Falcon Punch!

The Russ needs it most you say? At least that model gets instructions and actually fits together. The Exorcist needs a new model, one with instructions this time, the most, so quit your belly-aching. On the plus side, when sisters get thier 6th codex and whole new plastic line, we probably will get well fitting, instruction having, Exorcists, though they badly need to move that time table up to 3rd or 4th codex and plastic line to come down the pike, and not far off, like I believe it to be.

Phyresis
Nov 2, 2004

I can't sleep, I hope I stay awake

Cause I've been running, running, running all day

Long nights, no peace

I feel like everybody's eyes on me
I wouldn't even put Sisters on the radar anytime soon. They are certainly not making it in this year or all of 2013, and there are so many armies that are going to be updated first that I don't think they'll even get a Codex.

my kinda ape
Sep 15, 2008

Everything's gonna be A-OK
Oven Wrangler
The Leman Russ just got new kits in like 2010 so it's pretty unlikely that it'll be redone any time soon.

Ashcans
Jan 2, 2006

Let's do the space-time warp again!

Given how terrible the White Dwarf Dex for Sisters was, I can't imagine that they have actually given them any real thought. Which is ok by me because that spares me being tempted to buy into a third army when my second is still in pieces! But yea, they are obviously way down on GWs list.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
The new Russ kits look the same but they go together much, much better.

S.J.
May 19, 2008

Just who the hell do you think we are?

Rapey Joe Stalin posted:

Look at how wrong and awful the Leman Russ is.

Well duh. It's a tractor.

Fearless
Sep 3, 2003

DRINK MORE MOXIE

numerrik posted:

The Russ needs it most you say? At least that model gets instructions and actually fits together. The Exorcist needs a new model, one with instructions this time, the most, so quit your belly-aching. On the plus side, when sisters get thier 6th codex and whole new plastic line, we probably will get well fitting, instruction having, Exorcists, though they badly need to move that time table up to 3rd or 4th codex and plastic line to come down the pike, and not far off, like I believe it to be.

The last whirlwind I bought had instructions in it for the Exorcist, and none for the whirlwind. Maybe that is where they all are?

turn it up TURN ME ON
Mar 19, 2012

In the Grim Darkness of the Future, there is only war.

...and delicious ice cream.

Acebuckeye13 posted:

Yes to the first, no to the second. It's a Thunderbolt being used as terrain.

The Valkyrie is on the other end of the table. :v:

You are incredible. What is the Thomas the Tank Engine count as? Please tell me it's a super heavy.

Deviant
Sep 26, 2003

i've forgotten all of your names.

Will GW stores take back items in shrink if I don't have a receipt?

Ashcans posted:

Given how terrible the White Dwarf Dex for Sisters was

It's not bad, it's just dull.

Deviant fucked around with this message at 19:30 on Jul 12, 2012

BadLlama
Jan 13, 2006

Deviant posted:

Did you purchase with credit/debit card?

Deviant
Sep 26, 2003

BadLlama posted:

Did you purchase with credit/debit card?

Nyet. These were gifts, bought cash. I'm ok with store credit if they'll give me that. I just don't want tau. :(

numerrik
Jul 15, 2009

Falcon Punch!

Fearless posted:

The last whirlwind I bought had instructions in it for the Exorcist, and none for the whirlwind. Maybe that is where they all are?

You still have them? I'll paypal you a buck if you will mail them to me, provided you live in the US and a letter envelope is like 45 cents. We can argue a price if you live outside the US.

ImperialGuard
Jan 10, 2010

Deviant posted:

Nyet. These were gifts, bought cash. I'm ok with store credit if they'll give me that. I just don't want tau. :(
What were they? As a new tau player I might be able to help you with some of that if you can't return it for cash.

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010

Against All Tyrants

Ultra Carp

SquadronROE posted:

You are incredible. What is the Thomas the Tank Engine count as? Please tell me it's a super heavy.

I believe the guy who converted it normally uses it as a Battlewagon. Here, have a less tilted picture:

Ashcans
Jan 2, 2006

Let's do the space-time warp again!

Deviant posted:

It's not bad, it's just dull.

Sorry, you're right. I'm primarily in the hobby for the fluff and modeling aspects, so by 'terrible' I mostly meant 'low effort and boring'. It just seemed like they realized they needed to do something and tossed out the least work they could get away with.

Which is a huge shame because Sisters have a lot of character and potential.

Indolent Bastard
Oct 26, 2007

I WON THIS AMAZING AVATAR! I'M A WINNER! WOOOOO!

Deviant posted:

They should let you do an exchange no questions asked as long as the bar code still scans. (As in, if the box is so old that the SKU isn't in their system anymore you are out of luck).

turn it up TURN ME ON
Mar 19, 2012

In the Grim Darkness of the Future, there is only war.

...and delicious ice cream.

Acebuckeye13 posted:

I believe the guy who converted it normally uses it as a Battlewagon. Here, have a less tilted picture:

Words fail me. That is awesome. Also, there's a lot of other things I don't recognize in that pic, even though I've read a lot of the Imperial Armour stuff. Is that really tall thingy that is bristling with guns some sort of Gargant?

Ignite Memories
Feb 27, 2005

No way, gargants are gigantic. Gargants are the stompas of stompas.

It probably is a kustom stompa, which they put out rules for at one point-or-other. That thing in the top looks like a deff arsenal, which is one of their signature weapons.

edit: here you go.

those would be kanz or dreads on the far right, stompa to the left of that, gargant all the way to the left.

Ignite Memories fucked around with this message at 20:50 on Jul 12, 2012

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010

Against All Tyrants

Ultra Carp

pw pw pw posted:

No way, gargants are gigantic. Gargants are the stompas of stompas.

It probably is a kustom stompa, which they put out rules for at one point-or-other. That thing in the top looks like a deff arsenal, which is one of their signature weapons.

Yep, done by the same guy that did Thomas. He also made an Ork Bomber out of a Storm Raven, which I have to get pictures of at some point because it looks absolutely badass.

BadLlama
Jan 13, 2006

Sooo are Witch Hunters not a thing anymore? Sisters of Battle are now just a white dwarf codex?

Deviant
Sep 26, 2003

Indolent Bastard posted:

They should let you do an exchange no questions asked as long as the bar code still scans. (As in, if the box is so old that the SKU isn't in their system anymore you are out of luck).

Even for like $500-600 in Tau?

PierreTheMime
Dec 9, 2004

Hero of hormagaunts everywhere!
Buglord

Deviant posted:

When the hell did you get that much Tau and how have you not shovelled it onto OB_Juan yet? He needs more suits, etc. Unless you have $500 in Ethereals and Vespid.

BadLlama
Jan 13, 2006

Deviant posted:

Hmm you received that much as a gift? Come on be honest, you robbed a GW truck didn't you?

Phyresis
Nov 2, 2004

Long nights, no peace

Deviant posted:

Clay is probably not going to let you do this. Store policy is exchanges only with receipt. Maybe if it was like, 2 or 3 kits. I know this because I returned a few things I got as a gift a few weeks ago.

Creepy Goat
Sep 19, 2010

Deviant posted:

Maybe not all at once in the same store. GW has a no questions asked exchange for anything policy- on 6th release day some dude brought a huge bag of stuff in and swapped it all out for a whole new army. Was maybe only $200 though.

Trade chunks of it in at different stores if you want $600 worth of another army, technically you are allowed to trade the whole lot in for it's sum total of other stuff, but I can easily see some employees/managers being suspicious.

Phyresis
Nov 2, 2004

Long nights, no peace

Yeah dude, just drive to the other GW store in Florida. Wait, the next nearest GW is literally 500 miles away? Oh.

JoshTheStampede
Sep 8, 2004

come at me bro
Walk into the store, ask him if you can exchange it. If he says no, then say ok, cool, and call GW and ask them what the company policy on returning NIB shrinkwrapped product is.

mmj
Dec 22, 2006

I've always been a bit confrontational
Without turning into a giant bitchfest about my tyranids, I'm really getting discouraged with 6e. Everyone is saying they get a more cinematic and dynamic feel from the game but I just don't see it. Are there certain units I should be fielding to keep it interesting? A lot of my old favorites just seem bland and I just want to get some fun games in, not necessarily win. I'd field 9 pyrovores if it was actually fun.

Von Humboldt
Jan 13, 2009
I went through my bits, and realized that I have about twenty five regular Guardsmen in need of assembly. I figure I can finally slap them together and use them as Allies in my CSM list to sit on an objective and provide fire support. However, I'm not sure exactly what to build these guys as. Since they are Guardsmen, most will be bog standard of course, but I am trying to figure out their special weapons and what not.

I could build two Vet squads, which have the benefit of a high BS and loads of special weapons. The remaining five guys I could either not bother with or build into a Command Squad, which means even more special weapons and the ability to toss out orders (unless I am misremembering who they can shout at.) The problem is that gets pretty expensive pretty quickly, and I'm not sure if the cost of the units would balance out the fact that I could fit in another Rhino + 10 CSM. I could also just build a Lord Commissar for an easy solo HQ. Primaris Psykers are right out, since I'm playing a Khornate warband. (:black101:)

Alternatively, I could just build them as two infantry squads with a command squad, and then bash together someone to count as a Lord Commissar. Since I can blob up the two squads, they'll be a pain to wade through, and they'll be cheap besides. I could either sit the blob in the back and fire a couple shots off a turn, or wade them forward in front of the Marines to soak up fire. Honestly, there isn't much of a downside to this plan except that it won't be firing in the realm of 6-8+ plasma shots a turn like the Vets with the Command could.

Comedy Option : Double Penal Legion.

Quick Edit : Guess I should point out special weapons - I'd have the Vets run Plasma to the teeth (I love plasma) and the grunts run Flamers, so to keep costs down.

JoshTheStampede
Sep 8, 2004

come at me bro

mmj posted:

Without turning into a giant bitchfest about my tyranids, I'm really getting discouraged with 6e. Everyone is saying they get a more cinematic and dynamic feel from the game but I just don't see it. Are there certain units I should be fielding to keep it interesting? A lot of my old favorites just seem bland and I just want to get some fun games in, not necessarily win. I'd field 9 pyrovores if it was actually fun.

Well, what don't you find fun? I think the initial OH poo poo concerns people had about assault armies turned uot to be not nearly as bad as initially thought, like Overwatch.

pr0digal
Sep 12, 2008

Alan Rickman Overdrive
Well my 'nids battleforce came in. Hopefully I can start assembling and priming them tonight while I wait for my paint to come in.

Before priming them would you recommend soaking the pieces in a 1:10 Simple Green/Water mixture to get any oils and crap off?

PeterWeller
Apr 21, 2003

I told you that story so I could tell you this one.

mmj posted:

You should definitely bring along brood lords; you'll get the cinematic feeling when they murder your opponents' characters in challenges.

xtothez
Jan 4, 2004

College Slice

pr0digal posted:

Well my 'nids battleforce came in. Hopefully I can start assembling and priming them tonight while I wait for my paint to come in.

Before priming them would you recommend soaking the pieces in a 1:10 Simple Green/Water mixture to get any oils and crap off?
Not for brand new plastics. Only ForgeWorld-style resin needs to be cleaned up like that.

mmj posted:

What are you favourites? There's quite a bit changed this edition, it really depends on what you have.

Kilo147
Apr 14, 2007

You remind me of the boss
What boss?
The boss with the power
What power?
The power of voodoo
Who-doo?
You do.
Do what?
Remind me of the Boss.

Ashcans posted:

The new walkers are boss, but I kind of have a soft spot for the old metal ones, I even repainted mine!

that's like me and the old sentinels, or even screamer-killers. They just look so ridiculous that you have to take them.

Zuul the Cat
Dec 24, 2006

Grimey Drawer

Von Humboldt posted:

Words about IG allies.

Are you sure you want IG allies? Why not hold up for a few months, as the leaked Chinese starter has Cultists. You could convert them into Blood Pact if it turns out to be true, which I believe were the Khorne IG worshippers in the Gaunt books.

mmj
Dec 22, 2006

I've always been a bit confrontational

Dominion posted:

Well, what don't you find fun? I think the initial OH poo poo concerns people had about assault armies turned uot to be not nearly as bad as initially thought, like Overwatch.

primarily concerns about slowing down assault still. I loved hormagaunt with hive commander/genestealer outflanking because it felt like the kind of alien attacks you see in a sci fi movie with a sudden flood of creatures coming out of nowhere. I enjoyed throwing in warriors a lot actually, because they were risky but could pay off really well. I didn't even mind the fearless saves (although I definitely didn't like them either) because I saw it as waves of minions breaking against a solid defense. All of those felt pretty epic and cinematic as part of 5th. Now fliers tend to wreck me horribly in part because my winged tyrant seems to have terrible luck with missing the ground once hit and those creatures flooding out of the walls to overwhelm the enemy are polite enough to stop while the enemy reloads and catches their breath. I guess I loved feeling like the monsters from Aliens/Starship Troopers and I just don't get that now. I'm sure this is because my favorite units from 5e function so differently now, which is why I figure I can get the same feeling back if I get some advice.

I also wish there were more tyranid units that could be involved in challenges, or that none could. Technically according to fluff in the codex Tyranids should be unable to issue or receive challenges (it talks about them viewing honor/morale/vengeance/other 40k emotions in such an alien way that they simply ignore them). Really either way would work: more units that can issue/accept challenges or none but I don't really care for it as is. I know the challenge system in general has been a big hit and made huge changes in tactics so I would just prefer tyranids have a simple change to participate more, or lock them out of challenges specifically. Psykers that could force challenges or something would still make sense.

The other main bitch I have is more of a pure balance issue that I don't expect to be addressed any time soon but more tyranid MCs need a 2+ save or something more effective than regen now that power weapons are AP3. Right now our only 2+ that can be fielded from the codex is HT with armoured shell (which means no wings) and the T-fex, which I barely ever even see fielded.

Edit:
As far as broodlords go, I wish I could field them but I am so unimpressed with genestealers currently that I feel like I would be taking squads solely for the broodlord. With no increase to armor, toughness or wounds and the removal of assault from a good outflank or infiltrate I feel like genestealers are mediocre at best. I'm at work and can't check, but can ymgarl stealers take a broodlord? That might feel like the fast alien attack thing again

mmj fucked around with this message at 21:45 on Jul 12, 2012

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lovely Joe Stalin
Jun 12, 2007

Our Lovely Wang

CommissarRed posted:

Are you sure you want IG allies? Why not hold up for a few months, as the leaked Chinese starter has Cultists. You could convert them into Blood Pact if it turns out to be true, which I believe were the Khorne IG worshippers in the Gaunt books.

Take cultists and Guard.

• Locked thread