Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
VulgarandStupid
Aug 5, 2003
I AM, AND ALWAYS WILL BE, UNFUCKABLE AND A TOTAL DISAPPOINTMENT TO EVERYONE. DAE WANNA CUM PLAY WITH ME!?

demolina posted:

That's the exact drive I have and I love it. The speed of windows boot up, Team Fortress 2 loading screens and other program uses have sold me over to the SSD way of doing things. I picked it up for only £120 which is about the same in $.

The earlier issues I was having was due to the voltage to my CPU somehow being changed once I replaced the main hard drive. No clue how that occured, but once I sorted it out I've not had anything go wrong.

I've already had SSDs before, and I'm moving away from RAIDing two 120GBs. I guess I'm just wondering how these drives compare to others. People poo poo on OCZ's drives, and then I see that this one is the same controller and maybe the same memory as the Vertex 3's. So I'm just trying to be extra cautious.

A lot of neweggers are saying it BSODs their systems. I guess I'll just keep waiting.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

quadratic
May 2, 2002
f(x) = ax^2 + bx + c

Alereon posted:

It's not a BAD option, but SSDs with 90/180/360GB only use 6/8 channels so have roughly a 25% performance penalty. Not that you'd notice, it would just irk me to pay so much and leave performance on the table. I would consider the Mushkin Enhanced Chronos Deluxe 480GB for $379.98, both use the Toggle NAND that offers improved performance over the cheaper Asynchronous flash memory.

Would you take that over the 512GB Crucial M4 for any reason? Amazon is selling it for $398.99, which seems pretty decent.

shodanjr_gr
Nov 20, 2007

Alereon posted:

It's not a BAD option, but SSDs with 90/180/360GB only use 6/8 channels so have roughly a 25% performance penalty. Not that you'd notice, it would just irk me to pay so much and leave performance on the table. I would consider the Mushkin Enhanced Chronos Deluxe 480GB for $379.98, both use the Toggle NAND that offers improved performance over the cheaper Asynchronous flash memory.

Oh wow. And an extra 120 GB for +$60. Are there other alternatives I should consider? I'm not set on an SF drive but I need 300+ GB of storage.

Alereon
Feb 6, 2004

Dehumanize yourself and face to Trumpshed
College Slice

VulgarandStupid posted:

I've already had SSDs before, and I'm moving away from RAIDing two 120GBs. I guess I'm just wondering how these drives compare to others. People poo poo on OCZ's drives, and then I see that this one is the same controller and maybe the same memory as the Vertex 3's. So I'm just trying to be extra cautious.

A lot of neweggers are saying it BSODs their systems. I guess I'll just keep waiting.
They both use the same controller, but the Chronos Deluxe uses completely different flash memory. The Vertex 3 uses Intel Synchronous NAND (fast and expensive), the Chronos Deluxe and Vertex 3 MAX IOPS use Toshiba Toggle NAND (fast but not as expensive), and the non-Deluxe Chronos and Agility 3 both use Intel Asynchronous NAND (not as fast and cheap).The issue with OCZ has never been the controllers or type of flash memory, but build quality and claims that they intentionally bought lower grades of flash memory.

quadratic posted:

Would you take that over the 512GB Crucial M4 for any reason? Amazon is selling it for $398.99, which seems pretty decent.
Yes, the Chronos Deluxe uses faster flash memory, but I'm having trouble finding benchmarks of the 480GB version to get a fair comparison. As usual you'll see compellingly better performance on Sandforce drives when working with compressible data or in situations where TRIM isn't enabled, but that probably doesn't apply to you.

Christobevii3
Jul 3, 2006
I have two of the 120GB first sandforce mushkins and never had issues.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Just wear the fucking mask, Bob

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

VulgarandStupid posted:

I was hoping a deal would pop up for the 240 or 256GB versions of the Samsung 830 or Crucial M4 again. In the meantime, I did see this drive. Are they any good? I'm having a hard time finding reviews on them. It's a Mushkin Chronos Deluxe for $200.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820226226

I have had that for a few months in my iMac, it's only SATA 2 so there's no mind-blowing benchmarks but its a trillion times faster than the factory hard drive. No kernel panics, freezes, or other issues yet.

Red Robin Hood
Jun 24, 2008

Buglord
Could have sworn it was on the last page, but... 3gb/s vs 6gb/s? Does it matter?

Factory Factory
Mar 19, 2010

This is what
Arcane Velocity was like.
For Joe Schmoe's desktop or laptop, no. It takes SSD to SSD/large RAID array transfers to really get some benefit, and power user/professional use before it makes much sense to put extra money into it.

Red Robin Hood
Jun 24, 2008

Buglord

Factory Factory posted:

For Joe Schmoe's desktop or laptop, no. It takes SSD to SSD/large RAID array transfers to really get some benefit, and power user/professional use before it makes much sense to put extra money into it.

Thanks. Pretty sure my mobo has 6gb/s plugs but I just booted up for the first time and it shows the SSD with 3gb/s after it. Does that mean the guy I bought it from had it installed in the 3gb/s plug? Can I shut the machine down and move it to the 6gb/s plug without causing any issues?

VulgarandStupid
Aug 5, 2003
I AM, AND ALWAYS WILL BE, UNFUCKABLE AND A TOTAL DISAPPOINTMENT TO EVERYONE. DAE WANNA CUM PLAY WITH ME!?

Red Robin Hood posted:

Thanks. Pretty sure my mobo has 6gb/s plugs but I just booted up for the first time and it shows the SSD with 3gb/s after it. Does that mean the guy I bought it from had it installed in the 3gb/s plug? Can I shut the machine down and move it to the 6gb/s plug without causing any issues?

Yes, you should switch it over. I mean, it won't hurt to at all. You may have to change the boot preference in the BIOS. It may occasionally save you some non-perceivable fraction of a second every now and then, though.

VulgarandStupid
Aug 5, 2003

Alereon posted:

Yes, the Chronos Deluxe uses faster flash memory, but I'm having trouble finding benchmarks of the 480GB version to get a fair comparison. As usual you'll see compellingly better performance on Sandforce drives when working with compressible data or in situations where TRIM isn't enabled, but that probably doesn't apply to you.

So between the 240GB Mushkin Chronos Deluxe and the 256GB M4, which would you choose for most users? They are essentially at the same price point. I mostly play games, but may start learning some video editting stuff. I wouldn't be planning on RAIDing SSDs anymore or storing video on them. This is in a Windows 7 enviroment.

Alereon
Feb 6, 2004

College Slice

VulgarandStupid posted:

So between the 240GB Mushkin Chronos Deluxe and the 256GB M4, which would you choose for most users? They are essentially at the same price point. I mostly play games, but may start learning some video editting stuff. I wouldn't be planning on RAIDing SSDs anymore or storing video on them. This is in a Windows 7 enviroment.
Here's a comparison at Anandtech, the Vertex 3 MAX IOPS is essentially identical to the Chronos Deluxe in terms of controller and NAND. I'd go with the Chronos Deluxe given that choice, but that's me.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

Red Robin Hood posted:

I did exactly that actually and it worked fine. I unknowingly plugged my SSD into a 3gb slot and installed Windows on it. Everything still worked super fast and I didn't know anything was wrong until I did a Crystalmark benchtest a few days later and noticed it was writing like 250megs instead of the usual 400+

I just shut it down and switched the plug and now it works at the correct speed.

Red Robin Hood
Jun 24, 2008

Buglord

Mu Zeta posted:

I did exactly that actually and it worked fine. I unknowingly plugged my SSD into a 3gb slot and installed Windows on it. Everything still worked super fast and I didn't know anything was wrong until I did a Crystalmark benchtest a few days later and noticed it was writing like 250megs instead of the usual 400+

I just shut it down and switched the plug and now it works at the correct speed.

Awesome. Noticeable difference?

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

Nope. It bumped up my Windows Experience Index score though. e-penis is huge.

VulgarandStupid
Aug 5, 2003

A deal came up for the Sandisk Extreme 240GB, which should be essentially the same as the Chronos Deluxe we just discussed. Sorry for linking slickdeals, but the instructions help. Also for me it displayed 189.99 until I added it to cart, just an FYI. Went ahead and ordered one. Buy.com does charge tax and has free 5-8 day shipping, but 2-day shipping was only 5.15 so I got that.

http://slickdeals.net/f/4866326-Sandisk-Extreme-240GB-2-5-SATA-III-SSD-17-Buy-com-Credit-for-169-99-159-99-AC-at-Buy-com-LIVE

where the red fern gropes
Aug 24, 2011

VulgarandStupid posted:

A deal came up for the Sandisk Extreme 240GB, which should be essentially the same as the Chronos Deluxe we just discussed. Sorry for linking slickdeals, but the instructions help. Also for me it displayed 189.99 until I added it to cart, just an FYI. Went ahead and ordered one. Buy.com does charge tax and has free 5-8 day shipping, but 2-day shipping was only 5.15 so I got that.

http://slickdeals.net/f/4866326-Sandisk-Extreme-240GB-2-5-SATA-III-SSD-17-Buy-com-Credit-for-169-99-159-99-AC-at-Buy-com-LIVE

It's displaying $160 for me. I also have this SSD, but haven't had it long enough (<24 hours) to say how reliable it is. But being an SSD, it goes fast. The 240GB size does include the partition-thing they do, so the drive's usable size is showing as 223GB. After Win7 was installed, I had about 198GB remaining. Even after dumping Steam plus some other games onto it, I still have 79.1GB left. It's playing nice with the rest of my machine so far, though my monitor is sort of blurry and I have no idea what's wrong, or how to fix it (though I've been trying).

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
ASK ME ABOUT HOW HUMAN LIVES THAT MADE VIDEO GAME CONTROLLERS ARE WORTH MORE
Lipstick Apathy
I just bought a MacBook Pro with a toasted hard drive and want to get it up and running so I can resell it. Do you think I can get more money for it on eBay if I toss a 64gb SSD in it (Microcenter down the street has the good Crucial brand for $70), or should I just get a larger normal hard drive with that money?

Edit: Will do, thanks. I don't follow the market enough to know which is more attractive.
VVV

Zero VGS fucked around with this message at 21:11 on Jul 11, 2012

Maneki Neko
Oct 27, 2000

Zero VGS posted:

I just bought a MacBook Pro with a toasted hard drive and want to get it up and running so I can resell it. Do you think I can get more money for it on eBay if I toss a 64gb SSD in it (Microcenter down the street has the good Crucial brand for $70), or should I just get a larger normal hard drive with that money?

Just get a larger normal hard drive.

DarkJC
Jul 6, 2010
Yeah, I don't think the layman really quite understands the value of an SSD yet, and to be honest while a 64GB SSD will be faster the value of it is questionable if that's the only drive in the thing. The user is going to want more space somewhere.

Kabe
Nov 12, 2006

My computer currently has an SSD installed with win 7 on it. If I wanted to add another SSD drive to store my steam games on there would I need to do any tweaking or anything listed in the OP to make it work optimally? It's a crucial m4. I had someone build it for me so I assume they did everything for the first drive already so I just wanted to be sure I don't need to do anything except install and make sure windows can see the drive.

Alereon
Feb 6, 2004

College Slice

Kabe posted:

My computer currently has an SSD installed with win 7 on it. If I wanted to add another SSD drive to store my steam games on there would I need to do any tweaking or anything listed in the OP to make it work optimally? It's a crucial m4. I had someone build it for me so I assume they did everything for the first drive already so I just wanted to be sure I don't need to do anything except install and make sure windows can see the drive.
Nope, that should be all you need to do.

VulgarandStupid
Aug 5, 2003

Kabe posted:

Hardware wise, no. Software side, yes. I'm not entirely sure how it works, but there's some sort of linking involved if you have Steam installed on your C: and want your games to install on your D:. On the other hand, if you reinstall Steam on your D:, it will just all go there.

LRADIKAL
Jun 10, 2001

Fun Shoe
Unless it's changed recently you can just copy your entire steam directory onto the SSD. Make a new shortcut, done!

Space Gopher
Jul 31, 2006

BLITHERING IDIOT AND HARDCORE DURIAN APOLOGIST. LET ME TELL YOU WHY THIS SHIT DON'T STINK EVEN THOUGH WE ALL KNOW IT DOES BECAUSE I'M SUPER CULTURED.

Jago posted:

Unless it's changed recently you can just copy your entire steam directory onto the SSD. Make a new shortcut, done!

It's a problem when your Steam directory can fill your SSD by itself, though. The solution is to use SteamMover to create NTFS junction points for just the games you want to keep on the SSD. You could also manage the junctions yourself, I guess, but why go to all that work?

Xenomorph
Jun 13, 2001
OK, I had this 60GB SSD recommended to me on here because it uses synchronous NAND:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=20-226-246

Is this the 120GB version of it?
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820226318

Mushkin seems to have 100 drives, with regular names, names with Deluxe, then names with Deluxe MX. What does" MX" mean? Is MX better than non MX?

For our Linux/XP systems, 60GB should be fine. If we start putting Windows 7 on these, we're gonna end up with mostly-full drives.

Space Gopher
Jul 31, 2006

BLITHERING IDIOT AND HARDCORE DURIAN APOLOGIST. LET ME TELL YOU WHY THIS SHIT DON'T STINK EVEN THOUGH WE ALL KNOW IT DOES BECAUSE I'M SUPER CULTURED.

Xenomorph posted:

OK, I had this 60GB SSD recommended to me on here because it uses synchronous NAND:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=20-226-246

Is this the 120GB version of it?
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820226318

Mushkin seems to have 100 drives, with regular names, names with Deluxe, then names with Deluxe MX. What does" MX" mean? Is MX better than non MX?

For our Linux/XP systems, 60GB should be fine. If we start putting Windows 7 on these, we're gonna end up with mostly-full drives.

What are you doing?

If it's for business desktop use, just get Intel drives. Benchmark wanking is nice and all, but you're never going to see a practical benefit without specific workloads way more specialized than Word, Excel, web browsers, and sol.exe. Intel has the best reputation for reliability in the business right now, and if you want Sandforce GC for XP machines, they make some pretty cheap Sandforce-based drives.

Zhentar
Sep 28, 2003

Brilliant Master Genius
The Samsung 830 is also a good choice.

You'll recover the entire cost between the cheaper drives on your first RMA.

Xenomorph
Jun 13, 2001

Space Gopher posted:

What are you doing?

If it's for business desktop use, just get Intel drives. Benchmark wanking is nice and all, but you're never going to see a practical benefit without specific workloads way more specialized than Word, Excel, web browsers, and sol.exe. Intel has the best reputation for reliability in the business right now, and if you want Sandforce GC for XP machines, they make some pretty cheap Sandforce-based drives.

Scientific software usage. Sorta like business desktop use.

I'm not going for mad speed, but having something "a little bit faster" for not that much more is a bonus.

I'm more interested in the SandForce controller.

Googling Mushkin's regular vs. MX vs. DX gave me some forum links with these two bits of info:

quote:

The Chronos uses async NAND, the MX uses sync NAND and the DX uses premium sync NAND.
The DX will be the fastest of the bunch under test, though this isn't always as apparent in real world use.

quote:

The DX uses Toshiba Toggle NAND, currently the best NAND, the MX does not.
Performance wise the MX is between the regular Chronos and the DX.

Alereon
Feb 6, 2004

College Slice
I'm pretty sure that all things being equal, Synchronous NAND is faster than Toggle NAND. The reason you see high-performance drives using Toggle NAND is that 32nm Toggle NAND is going to have smaller (capacity) dies, so twice as many NAND devices, which improves random read/write performance. I don't think there's been a decent head-to-head comparison yet between two drives where the only difference is Toggle vs Synch NAND, not how many devices there are.

Christobevii3
Jul 3, 2006
One of the reasons I've tried to buy mushkin is their forum has an employee that posts useful info almost immediately during the day. Also their rma process is great. I can't say I've ever dealt with someone who responds so quickly and as well. I'd be surprised if Intel could match it tbh.

Anonononomous
Jul 1, 2007
I just got a 128 GB Samsung 830. I'm planning to install Windows, browsers and Zune software on it and move games onto it as necessary. Is there any way to automatically migrate over my settings, such as automatic backups and my Zune account info, and the My Documents folder, when/after I install Windows? Or will I need to do all that manually? Any other recommended stuff to put on the SSD?

Can someone explain this AHCI thing from the OP? When I look in my BIOS at all my drives, even though they are all SATA, they are listed as IDE devices. If I go and switch the AHCI setting from IDE Native to AHCI, they all disappear and I can't boot.

Anonononomous fucked around with this message at 18:23 on Jul 14, 2012

Krakkles
May 5, 2003

So I finally got around to installing my Crucial M4 into my early-2011 MBP, and after doing a clean install of Lion, I get the gray startup screen with a lined-through circle rather than the Apple logo. What could cause this?

(Image attached, crappy size, sorry)

Googling suggests bad disk: https://discussions.apple.com/thread/1576513?start=0&tstart=0

Only thing I can think of is that I formatted it as encrypted and it never asked for the password during bootup, so ...?

edit: Awesome. Now that I've gone back, completed all the steps from the post, and tried to install again, it won't install, and says there's an error, even though everything checked out per the post.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Krakkles fucked around with this message at 03:31 on Jul 15, 2012

Christobevii3
Jul 3, 2006

Anonononomous posted:

I just got a 128 GB Samsung 830. I'm planning to install Windows, browsers and Zune software on it and move games onto it as necessary. Is there any way to automatically migrate over my settings, such as automatic backups and my Zune account info, and the My Documents folder, when/after I install Windows? Or will I need to do all that manually? Any other recommended stuff to put on the SSD?

Can someone explain this AHCI thing from the OP? When I look in my BIOS at all my drives, even though they are all SATA, they are listed as IDE devices. If I go and switch the AHCI setting from IDE Native to AHCI, they all disappear and I can't boot.

You need the sata drivers for the operating system to see ahci device.

Astiesan
Aug 4, 2003

Yeah, about that.
I'm looking to buy an SSD next weekend as a birthday present to myself. I was looking at the Mushkin Chronos in the 120GB form. I'm probably just going to put windows on it and my few more commonly played games (like WoW and SC2) on it, so 120GB is more than adequate and I have two mechanical drives for mass storage. The only issue I'm seeing is that as of recent the mushkin drives have gotten terrible reliability ratings, and most are dying in under one year. I'd really like to keep the purchase around $100, but should I take the leap and go with a Samsung or Crucial even though they're more expensive? Read speed doesn't particularly matter to me, as it's going in a SATA II system anyways as sort of a usability upgrade.

Opinions appreciated! Thank you in advance.

Krakkles
May 5, 2003

Astiesan posted:

I'm looking to buy an SSD next weekend as a birthday present to myself. I was looking at the Mushkin Chronos in the 120GB form. I'm probably just going to put windows on it and my few more commonly played games (like WoW and SC2) on it, so 120GB is more than adequate and I have two mechanical drives for mass storage. The only issue I'm seeing is that as of recent the mushkin drives have gotten terrible reliability ratings, and most are dying in under one year. I'd really like to keep the purchase around $100, but should I take the leap and go with a Samsung or Crucial even though they're more expensive? Read speed doesn't particularly matter to me, as it's going in a SATA II system anyways as sort of a usability upgrade.

Opinions appreciated! Thank you in advance.
Watch for deals, you can get a Crucial M4 128GB for $104 pretty regularly.

Or:

http://www.buy.com/retail/product.asp?sku=226050639
http://www.buy.com/prod/crucial-m4-128gb-2-5-sata-iii-solid-state-drive-ssd/221150373.html

Krakkles fucked around with this message at 04:55 on Jul 15, 2012

Red Robin Hood
Jun 24, 2008

Buglord

Krakkles posted:

Watch for deals, you can get a Crucial M4 128GB for $104 pretty regularly.

Or:

http://www.buy.com/retail/product.asp?sku=226050639

Even better: http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/B0062IMAQ6/

Astiesan
Aug 4, 2003

Yeah, about that.

I seemed to remember Kingston getting not so great praise from one of the major sites, either anandtech or toms hardware. Is that not the case in practice?

Krakkles
May 5, 2003

I'll be honest, I threw that out because I was looking at the deals thread. I went Crucial, myself, and I'm not by any means an expert.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Astiesan
Aug 4, 2003

Yeah, about that.

Krakkles posted:

I'll be honest, I threw that out because I was looking at the deals thread. I went Crucial, myself, and I'm not by any means an expert.

After poking around in reviews, I seem to have been moderately correct. The drive was intended to be a budget drive, and even though it's a SATA III drive, it still caps out at SATA II speeds and has pretty abysmal write performance.

Since my current box is old enough to be SATA II, I'd rather get something that's a SATA III to use in my next build before I pass this computer off to my mother or a relative when I do decide to build a new box. That's another reason I think that Kingston is probably just not a good buy.

I think having looked at those extra reviews, I can't really go wrong with an m4. I've bought crucial ram since the dark ages and only ever had one go bad, and they fixed that in 72 hours. Crucial and Corsair are the only memory makers I will even consider, to be honest. That seems to just point I should go with my gut and pony up the extra $20.

• Locked thread