Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Beautiful Ninja
Mar 26, 2009

Five time FCW Champion...of my heart.

Endymion FRS MK1 posted:

I have the exact same setup. Just go into the bios, set the multiplier to 4.3, voltage offset to +0.05 or +0.10 (don't remember where mine is), you'll be good.

Tried these settings with the +0.05 voltage offset and it looks like it's working out, ran IBT on Maximum setting and it passed with temps going 87/91/86/80. Well within the thermal limits of Ivy Bridge it looks like, but it's not like I'd ever get temps that high in the first place in a real life computing scenario. I tried 4.4ghz with +0.05 offset and it looked like my video drivers crashed before IBT finished one Linpack test, so I guess that means I need to bump up the voltage again if I want to aim for 4.4+.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Incessant Excess
Aug 15, 2005

Cause of glitch:
Pretentiousness

Beautiful Ninja posted:

Tried these settings with the +0.05 voltage offset and it looks like it's working out, ran IBT on Maximum setting and it passed with temps going 87/91/86/80. Well within the thermal limits of Ivy Bridge it looks like, but it's not like I'd ever get temps that high in the first place in a real life computing scenario. I tried 4.4ghz with +0.05 offset and it looked like my video drivers crashed before IBT finished one Linpack test, so I guess that means I need to bump up the voltage again if I want to aim for 4.4+.

You should make sure those numbers are safe, if i remember correctly, the 100% safe temps for Ivy Bridge are in the low 70s.

Beautiful Ninja
Mar 26, 2009

Biggest human being Ever posted:

You should make sure those numbers are safe, if i remember correctly, the 100% safe temps for Ivy Bridge are in the low 70s.

I've been reading up on temperatures, I'm going to run Prime95 now to see what kind of temperatures I get, my understanding is that IBT runs things hotter than you'll ever really see from actual computer use where Prime95 is a little bit closer to what one would expect from a real "full load" situation. The thermal limit for Ivy Bridge is apparently 105C but I obviously don't want to get near that.

E: Prime95 core temps are much lower, I've had the hottest core peak at 79C but usually it's low to mid-70's with the other cores being low-70's to high 60's.

Beautiful Ninja fucked around with this message at 21:43 on Jul 12, 2012

Factory Factory
Mar 19, 2010

This is what
Arcane Velocity was like.
79 C is still too hot for regular use if you don't want to shorten chip's life.

E: To clarify further, 105 C is the temperature at which the CPU will throttle itself and shut down to prevent imminent damage. For long-term damage, the limit is more around 68-72C.

Factory Factory fucked around with this message at 22:41 on Jul 12, 2012

Beautiful Ninja
Mar 26, 2009

Yeah, I think I figured out what my problem was, I had too much thermal paste on, cleaned it and put on a smaller amount, hopefully that fixes things.

Endymion FRS MK1
Oct 29, 2011

I don't know what this thing is, and I don't care. I'm just tired of seeing your stupid newbie av from 2011.

Beautiful Ninja posted:

Yeah, I think I figured out what my problem was, I had too much thermal paste on, cleaned it and put on a smaller amount, hopefully that fixes things.

I can't remember what my IBT temps were (I want to say high 70's low 80's like you), but it runs mid-high 60's on BF3 and similar games for reference.

Factory Factory
Mar 19, 2010

This is what
A bit of very useful information via AnandTech, in a review of a boutique overclocked IVB system.

quote:

The main issue I have with our review unit is the 4.6GHz overclock on the Intel Core i5-3570K. Origin is pushing 1.4V through the chip under load and while in regular use (PCMark, game testing) the CPU never heats up too much, Prime95 sends the temperatures skyrocketing into the low 90s after just fifteen minutes. Worse, 1.4V is well beyond what conventional wisdom suggests is acceptable for Ivy Bridge. Origin argues that the typical user won't tax the CPU enough for this to result in reliability and longevity issues; their validation process through Intel states that at these settings and spending 70% of its lifetime under sustained load, the i5-3570K will last two and a half years.

Emphasis added. If you work backwards, that's ~1.75 years running 24/7.

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

To be fair, 70% of time under full load on a gaming PC means you're gaming almost 17 hours a day.

Also, 2.5 years is longer than their target demographic is likely to keep that computer, anyways.

That said, I'd want some heavy duty cooling if you're going to overclock it THAT MUCH.

DrankSinatra
Aug 25, 2011
So, I have a question. In my excitement to OMG BUY A PC RIGHT NOW STEAM SALE YEAH, I specced out a bunch of parts, but somehow missed the part where the 3570K's selling point was overclocking. I had ordered a Cooler Master Hyper 212, for cooling, because why not, but I didn't really look for a case that was designed for cooling - mainly I looked for a non-hideous aesthetic, and some builder-friendly features.

I settled on the Fractal Design Define R4. In the building thread, and in all the reviews I read, they said it was fine cooling-wise for stock configurations, which is what I was originally shooting for.

Now that I know that my 3570K is designed to be overclockable, I kinda want to get some value out of that extra 30. With a CPU cooler like the one I purchased, and a case like mine, does anybody have a guesstimate at what sort of overclock I could expect to get while keeping my temperatures in check?

Also, I've never been too good with thinking about airflow in a PC - would the temperature of the CPU have a significant impact on a graphics card [Or vice versa]? I'm thinking no, since the PCI-E slots are located below the CPU, and besides that, the cooler on my GPU vents outwards, too.

Factory Factory
Mar 19, 2010

This is what
The spirit of overclocking is experimentation. Certainly there are far too many factors for us to give you hard numbers. Even if there were some known average we could give you, it could be tossed out the window by normal variations in the processor and motherboard. An excellent i5-3570K in a Define R4 could easily run faster and cooler than a poor i5-3570K in an Arc Midi, all else being equal. That's how much individual chips vary.

Re: airflow and temperature concerns, the GPU temperature will affect the CPU to some extent through convection. However, the effect generally isn't large, and there isn't much you can do about it anyway. If your particular GPU is a model with a blower cooler (a reference card, for example), then case airflow is actually relatively unimportant as the blower will exhaust its own waste heat (hence the name).

You really only have to be concerned about GPU-CPU heat intermingling when 1) the video card is crazy hot, like a GeForce 580, uses a cooler that doesn't specifically exhaust air (like most custom coolers - MSI Twin Frozr, Asus DirectCU, etc.), or both (GeForce 690 - exhausts half its moved air out the back); and 2) there is little capacity to move air through a large CPU heatsink, such as in a small mini-ITX case. In such cases, increasing airflow or even creative solutions like closed-loop liquid cooling to shift heat around before radiating are what you would do. But the Fractal R4 can handle things much better than a tiny mini-ITX case.

Factory Factory fucked around with this message at 02:39 on Jul 28, 2012

DrankSinatra
Aug 25, 2011

Factory Factory posted:

The spirit of overclocking is experimentation. Certainly there are far too many factors for us to give you hard numbers. Even if there were some known average we could give you, it could be tossed out the window by normal variations in the processor and motherboard. An excellent i5-3570K in a Define R4 could easily run faster and cooler than a poor i5-3570K in an Arc Midi, all else being equal. That's how much individual chips vary.

Cool. I actually like that answer, it's liberating and a license to gently caress around a bit. Thankfully, I'm a well-paid dumbass with no significant obligations to anybody at this point, so I'll just enjoy the ride.

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

I wouldn't worry about it. The R4 has decent airflow. I have its big brother (the Define XL), and my parts stay nice and chilly, even with just the stock case fans.

Jewce
Mar 11, 2008
I just got a new PC and I was not planning on getting a 'k' chip, but there was a sale at Microcenter that got me the i5-3570k and Asus P8Z77-V LX ATX LGA1155 for $255 total. Suffice to say, I am now planning on overclocking assuming the rest of my system is okay.

PCPartPicker part list: http://pcpartpicker.com/p/dqBk

CPU: Intel Core i5-3570K 3.4GHz Quad-Core Processor ($189.99 @ Microcenter)
CPU Cooler: Cooler Master Hyper 212 Plus 76.8 CFM Sleeve Bearing CPU Cooler ($19.99 @ Newegg)
Motherboard: Asus P8Z77-V LX ATX LGA1155 Motherboard ($124.98 @ NCIX US)
Memory: Kingston Blu 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1600 Memory ($33.99 @ Newegg)
Hard Drive: Western Digital Caviar Blue 500GB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive ($69.00 @ B&H)
Video Card: MSI Radeon HD 7770 GHz Edition 1GB Video Card ($116.97 @ Newegg)
Case: Thermaltake VL80001W2Z ATX Mid Tower Case ($24.46 @ Microcenter)
Power Supply: Cooler Master 460W ATX12V Power Supply ($32.98 @ Newegg)
Optical Drive: Lite-On iHAS124-04 DVD/CD Writer ($17.99 @ Newegg)
Total: $630.35

I know that a few items on there are not the greatest. For example, I got the 212 plus instead of Evo because my company was buying this computer and they made some decisions I wouldn't have, but I couldn't argue. Same with case, memory, and power supply. Hopefully none of those things are major issues.

So I am going to put this thing together tonight, but I have a question about thermal paste. I was going to just use the "Pea Method" but I read something in this thread about how my cooler would benefit from me applying the paste directly with a business card or something. Are there any thoughts on this? Can I use the pea method or should I do something else?

Thanks for getting me started with the build and I'm sure I'll be back once the actual overclocking process begins!

Factory Factory
Mar 19, 2010

This is what
I'm a proponent of the pea method. Pre-spreading is for lame dumbos.

E: That said, for the 212+, there are gaps in the heatpipes that you should fill in with paste first so they aren't air gaps. A business card works great for that, just don't use it to spread paste over the heatpipes' contact surface itself.

Factory Factory fucked around with this message at 23:34 on Jul 30, 2012

dont be mean to me
May 2, 2007

I'm interplanetary, bitch
Let's go to Mars

Jewce posted:

I know that a few items on there are not the greatest. For example, I got the 212 plus instead of Evo because my company was buying this computer and they made some decisions I wouldn't have, but I couldn't argue. Same with case, memory, and power supply. Hopefully none of those things are major issues.

The power supply might be. Challenge it if you can; replace it out of your own pocket if you have to.

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

Factory Factory posted:

I'm a proponent of the pea method. Pre-spreading is for lame dumbos.

E: That said, for the 212+, there are gaps in the heatpipes that you should fill in with paste first so they aren't air gaps. A business card works great for that, just don't use it to spread paste over the heatpipes' contact surface itself.
I don't think the gaps are that big of a deal. From what I've seen in pics and reviews, the 212+ and 212 Evo both have "gaps", just that the Evo gaps are narrower. A small circle of paste will get you more than enough coverage to fill any possible gaps, and besides, the mounting mechanism will mate the heatsink to the CPU without any paste.

Jewce
Mar 11, 2008

Sir Unimaginative posted:

The power supply might be. Challenge it if you can; replace it out of your own pocket if you have to.

Yikes! Thanks for that link. I won't overclock until I get a new PSU.

I ended up put on the thermal paste with a pea method on the chip and a thin, thin layer on the heatsink itself. Hopefully everything turned out okay...

DrankSinatra
Aug 25, 2011
So, I'm using a CM212 Evo for my heatsink/fan combo. I'm noticing that my core temperature hits somewhere around 64 after about 20 minutes in Prime 95. Should I take off the arctic silver/reapply it/reseat the heatsink? Also, how tight should I screw down my heatsink mount? I was a bit worried about overtorquing the motherboard, and the manual wasn't really clear about how far down those weird spring/screws should be tightened down.

Factory Factory
Mar 19, 2010

This is what
The thing's designed for about 80 pounds of mounting force, so those screws should be pretty tight, though not bottomed out or anything.

You've got an i5-3570K, right? Is that at stock, or overclocked? If overclocked, what voltage/frequency are you at?

HalloKitty
Sep 30, 2005

Adjust the bass and let the Alpine blast

DrankSinatra posted:

So, I have a question. In my excitement to OMG BUY A PC RIGHT NOW STEAM SALE YEAH, I specced out a bunch of parts, but somehow missed the part where the 3570K's selling point was overclocking. I had ordered a Cooler Master Hyper 212, for cooling, because why not, but I didn't really look for a case that was designed for cooling - mainly I looked for a non-hideous aesthetic, and some builder-friendly features.

I settled on the Fractal Design Define R4. In the building thread, and in all the reviews I read, they said it was fine cooling-wise for stock configurations, which is what I was originally shooting for.

Now that I know that my 3570K is designed to be overclockable, I kinda want to get some value out of that extra 30. With a CPU cooler like the one I purchased, and a case like mine, does anybody have a guesstimate at what sort of overclock I could expect to get while keeping my temperatures in check?

Also, I've never been too good with thinking about airflow in a PC - would the temperature of the CPU have a significant impact on a graphics card [Or vice versa]? I'm thinking no, since the PCI-E slots are located below the CPU, and besides that, the cooler on my GPU vents outwards, too.

Define R4 is a slightly refined version of the R3 which I have - it can be a perfectly good cooling beast if you crack the top two vents and have a side intake, for example.
I run it with the top vents and side vent closed for that extremely quiet idle experience: 2500K @ 4.3GHz / Radeon 6950 (not blower style).

DrankSinatra
Aug 25, 2011

Factory Factory posted:

The thing's designed for about 80 pounds of mounting force, so those screws should be pretty tight, though not bottomed out or anything.

You've got an i5-3570K, right? Is that at stock, or overclocked? If overclocked, what voltage/frequency are you at?

Yep! At this point it's stock.

Factory Factory
Mar 19, 2010

This is what
You should get a pretty healthy overclock out of that without pushing the voltage much, which should keep your temperatures in check. Ivy Bridge just does run hotter than Sandy Bridge.

To be an absolute stickler, maybe that is a smidge high, temperature-wise. But it's not insane. Target ~80C for IntelBurnTest/OCCT Linpack, and your Prime95/real-world loads should be just fine.

Agro ver Haus doom
Jul 27, 2011

by Y Kant Ozma Post

DrankSinatra posted:

So, I'm using a CM212 Evo for my heatsink/fan combo. I'm noticing that my core temperature hits somewhere around 64 after about 20 minutes in Prime 95. Should I take off the arctic silver/reapply it/reseat the heatsink? Also, how tight should I screw down my heatsink mount? I was a bit worried about overtorquing the motherboard, and the manual wasn't really clear about how far down those weird spring/screws should be tightened down.

You have to realize that Prime is a stress test that blasts your CPU to 100% load and RAM takes a beating too. That said, you will never actually see this sort of stress and load in real world everyday use... not during a game or anything really.
That said, 64C is totally fine and nothing to be worried about at all.
Tighten those thumb screws down all the way, IMO, so that the heat sink is totally flush, smooth, and evenly balanced on your CPU.

Factory Factory
Mar 19, 2010

This is what

Agro ver Haus doom posted:

You have to realize that Prime is a stress test that blasts your CPU to 100% load and RAM takes a beating too. That said, you will never actually see this sort of stress and load in real world everyday use... not during a game or anything really.

Counterpoint: Metro 2033 :gonk:

It really is THAT rough a program. Or you might run Dwarf Fortress, which is famously intensive yet only single threaded, so it will push the limits of your overclock even if it isn't pulling down all the watts that Metro might. Or you could do CPU-based h.264 transcoding, which is basically as intensive as real-world loads get.

unpronounceable
Apr 4, 2010

You mean we still have another game to go through?!
Fallen Rib

That said, 64C is totally fine and nothing to be worried about at all.
Tighten those thumb screws down all the way, IMO, so that the heat sink is totally flush, smooth, and evenly balanced on your CPU.

Actually prime95 is a pretty good indicator of a typical max stress situation. I've seen my CPU temps match prime95 levels during the second pass of an h264 encode.

IntelBurnTest, on the other hand, is specifically designed to stress every single part of the CPU pipeline at once, and as a result, the temps are higher.

e:f;b

Agreed
Dec 30, 2003

The price of meat has just gone up, and your old lady has just gone down

Yeah... that's not true. The farther beyond spec you go, the less you can count on a poorly tested overclock. Please don't say stuff like this, it's walking potential newcomers to overclocking in the wrong direction vis a vis system stability. Prime95 is a representative high load, but remember that it exists as such because the Prime95 team needed a way for people to ensure that their systems weren't sending in bunk data for the calculations done in the search for higher (Mersenne, I believe?) primes. An unstable system eventually kicks an error and sends in an exciting new finding, which then wastes other systems' time because it turns out it was just a miscalculation.

Anything Linpack-based is waaaay off the grid when it comes to real workloads, that's more what you're talking about (and, maybe ironically, less likely to find low-level instabilities because of the speed with which it exposes medium to high level instabilities - it shouldn't be used much with these more and more heat-sensitive components, get a 22nm transistor up to 75ºC+ and the resistance increase becomes dangerous to the nano-scale components themselves, can cause precipitous failure).

dont be mean to me
May 2, 2007

Let's go to Mars

Should I be getting the same temperatures with the current Linpack at 4096MB stress level as I do with Prime95 Small FFT? (Both 72~73c on 2500K@4.2 GHz)

Agreed
Dec 30, 2003

Should I be getting the same temperatures with the current Linpack at 4096MB stress level as I do with Prime95 Small FFT? (Both 72~73c on 2500K@4.2 GHz)

Small FFT, for sure?

dont be mean to me
May 2, 2007

Let's go to Mars

Apparently it's not quite so bad, but I'm not sure it should be hovering around 70 either.

(linked)

(I was probably a fool not to screencap it from idle, but my idle hovers around 37~39. Airflow in here sucks.)

Agreed
Dec 30, 2003

Hold up, should be idling closer to 33ºC regardless of load. Wait, are you using the stock cooler or an aftermarket heat sink?

dont be mean to me
May 2, 2007

Let's go to Mars

Agreed posted:

Hold up, should be idling closer to 33ºC regardless of load. Wait, are you using the stock cooler or an aftermarket heat sink?

Xigmatek Gaia.

If I get the air conditioning going and close the door I can get down to 35~36 idle. 33 is probably out of reach during summer, though.

Agreed
Dec 30, 2003

Let me rewind that last statement as well, ah, how exactly are you doing the overclocking? It could be idling normal if you're going with a constant voltage. If, however you're using the offset method it should be undervolting to .9V and downclocking to 1600mhz and idling cooler than that.

dont be mean to me
May 2, 2007

Let's go to Mars

Agreed posted:

Let me rewind that last statement as well, ah, how exactly are you doing the overclocking? It could be idling normal if you're going with a constant voltage. If, however you're using the offset method it should be undervolting to .9V and downclocking to 1600mhz and idling cooler than that.

I set it to 42 and stuck with default voltages and apparently it only undervolts so low as 1.000.

Agreed
Dec 30, 2003

I set it to 42 and stuck with default voltages and apparently it only undervolts so low as 1.000.

So, one-button overclock, and it is doing its power saving, that's good - but your temps aren't. If it's not underclocking to 16x (1600mhz) when idling, nearly 40ºC is a high idle, especially for the type of cooler that you're using, and could indicate some issue with its mounting (or, as you note, maybe just really bad airflow - that's the thing with the Xigmatek iirc, it isn't really optimized well as far as fin placement goes so a lack of airflow could mean that it needs a higher temperature delta in order to increase the efficiency of heat removal).

Either way, those temps are 100% safe with Sandy Bridge, if a bit on the high side, and you can feel free to file all this away as academic if you'd like. You can run that setup for as long as you have the computer and expect no issues, I'd imagine.

dont be mean to me
May 2, 2007

Let's go to Mars

Agreed posted:

So, one-button overclock, and it is doing its power saving, that's good - but your temps aren't. If it's not underclocking to 16x (1600mhz) when idling, nearly 40ºC is a high idle, especially for the type of cooler that you're using, and could indicate some issue with its mounting (or, as you note, maybe just really bad airflow - that's the thing with the Xigmatek iirc, it isn't really optimized well as far as fin placement goes so a lack of airflow could mean that it needs a higher temperature delta in order to increase the efficiency of heat removal).

Either way, those temps are 100% safe with Sandy Bridge, if a bit on the high side, and you can feel free to file all this away as academic if you'd like. You can run that setup for as long as you have the computer and expect no issues, I'd imagine.

Not a one-button overclock, and yeah it's underclocking at idle. I must have thought that goes without saying; sorry.

It could be air issues (Silverstone PS07), though, or cooler issues. Or hell, ambient issues; guess that's the price of working in a room that's literally only cool when A/C is running regardless of the time of year, in a house built in a California desert. (There's no room to relocate my workspace anywhere else in here either.) I'm pretty sure I got the thermal paste application right; I just did it how the instructions said to (not that I could prove it without having to do it all over again).

I'm just wondering how much headroom I have to boost the multiplier at this point.

dont be mean to me fucked around with this message at 23:01 on Aug 3, 2012

Agreed
Dec 30, 2003

Not a one-button overclock, and yeah it's underclocking at idle. I must have thought that goes without saying; sorry.

It could be air issues (Silverstone PS07), though, or cooler issues. Or hell, ambient issues; guess that's the price of working in a room that's literally only cool when A/C is running regardless of the time of year, in a house built in a California desert. (There's no room to relocate my workspace anywhere else in here either.) I'm pretty sure I got the thermal paste application right; I just did it how the instructions said to (not that I could prove it without having to do it all over again).

I'm just wondering how much headroom I have to boost the multiplier at this point.

Well, basic physics of taking heat from one thing and moving it to another thing is that the greater the difference in temperature, the quicker it happens. So while you're idling high, the performance under heavy loads is good. Living where you do, with high ambient temperature and expensive as poo poo electricity, maybe you're just gonna have to deal with high idle, it's not going to hurt anything, it's just a little weird. The load temperature is fine in Linpack and a bit high for Prime95, common advice here would be that you've got 10ºC of wiggle room with the multiplier and voltage with IBT, but I'm concerned about the Prime95 score. I don't get DRAMATICALLY different Prime temperatures, but they're consistently at least 6ºC lower than anything Linpack-based, and that's pretty important when you want to push your hardware as safely as possible.

Well, if you want to go farther, I'd say the first thing to do is to get away from default voltage, if by that you mean "I changed the multiplier to 42 and didn't manually adjust the voltage," which it sounds like is what happened? Hell, your temps could just be due to an overzealous automatic voltage - what is your vcore under load as measured by HWiNFO64? Careful not to take the first values you see that relate to voltage, as those are VID in that monitoring utility, you need to scroll a bit to see vCore. 24/7 safe voltage is 1.38V for Sandy Bridge, but that assumes operational temps within safe parameters too, which Intel floats as 72.5ºC*.

What's your motherboard? You're getting to the fun part of overclocking now. :getin:

*I think that's bullshit for a few reasons, not the least of which is they say the same thing for Ivy Bridge and there's no way the more sensitive and heat-issue-prone 3D transistors in IVB exhibit the same resistive, capacitive, or inductive properties, or experience electromigration exactly like Sandy Bridge, but they're being conservative and that's their prerogative, I'd estimate the real safe long-term temperature at 75-76ºC with infrequent excursions to 80ºC under extraordinarily heavy loads, within safe voltage parameters... Well, that's neither here nor there.

Factory Factory
Mar 19, 2010

This is what
Two things on the temperature limit:

1) That's Tcase, a specification for the package/heatspreader temperature, not individual core temperatures. The idea of Tcase is that it's the target upper limit for 24/7 safety on the easily-measured heatspreader without overheating the cores. It's specified mostly for the benefit of OEMs designing as-cheap-as-possible cooling systems.

We just kinda... use that as a target, because Intel said not to exceed it for a 24/7 safe overclock. If you're not exceeding Tcase, then the processor is "in spec" in that regard.

2) Tcase is specified by TDP in 1 C increments. 77W processors like Ivy Bridge i5/i7s actually have a specified Tcase of around 68 C, but the table actually lists Tcase figures below 65W and above 95W.

dont be mean to me
May 2, 2007

Let's go to Mars

Agreed posted:

Load values?

Asus P8Z77-M Pro

Idle: 1608MHz 37C 0.968V
Load*: 4222MHz** 74C 1.272V (although it spiked as high as 1.304 apparently, but that was before I even hit start)

*Where load is the fifth pass of IntelBurnTest 2.54 x64 4096MB.
**I left the bus clock at default too, but I guess the board thinks bus default is 100.5, not 100.0. v:shobon:v

dont be mean to me fucked around with this message at 01:18 on Aug 4, 2012

Tha_Joker_GAmer
Aug 16, 2006
Is an i5 760 that hovers around 80c under load something to worry about? I'm thinking it may be the cause of some hardlocks I've been getting.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

future ghost
Dec 5, 2005

:byetankie:
Gun Saliva

Liu posted:

Is an i5 760 that hovers around 80c under load something to worry about? I'm thinking it may be the cause of some hardlocks I've been getting.
80C is relatively high for a 760, although it's not at critical shutdown-level as far as I'm aware. Is that with the stock cooler, and which app are you using to check temperatures? Hardlocks could be due to various factors, including a bad or insufficient power supply.