Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

RazorBunny
May 23, 2007

Sometimes I feel like this.

Universe Master posted:

I'm new to roasting beef and I'm wondering: what's the best way to cook a center cut chuck roast?

I like to drop one in a crock pot with some flavorful liquid and aromatics and let it go all day on low. In fact, I have one in there now :)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

I like turtles
Aug 6, 2009

I heard the words "sloppy joes" today and it brought back memories of them from my childhood.

I think there is a very decent possibility of making something really neat and innovative beyond the ground beef, onion and sorta homemade BBQ sauce type recipes with minor variations in spicing, etc, that I'm seeing online. Or, you know, from the can.

So how about it, do you have any classy sloppy joe recipes knocking around?

Or should just I be happy with the basic idea that seems so common?

Scientastic
Mar 1, 2010

TRULY scientastic.
🔬🍒

ShadyNasty posted:

Is switching mains a good move?

YES. Don't cook something so boring as a ragu. It's delicious, but unexciting for a date.

Cook this delicious seafood pasta recipe. Quick, easy, but impressive.

Chemmy
Feb 4, 2001

Scientastic posted:

Put the green tomatoes in a paper bag with a banana. That'll ripen them right up.

That'll turn them red but they won't get "ripe". Bananas give off ethylene gas which is what they ship flavorless green tomatoes in to make them red by the time they get to the grocery store.

SubG
Aug 19, 2004

It's a hard world for little things.

I like turtles posted:

Make chili. Serve on bun.

You can toast the bun first for a touch of class.

Nelson Mandela
Jun 4, 2007

SO SHINY
SO CHROME

Scientastic posted:

YES. Don't cook something so boring as a ragu. It's delicious, but unexciting for a date.

Cook this delicious seafood pasta recipe. Quick, easy, but impressive.

(My) seafood allergy means that couldn't possibly be more of a bad idea! Sad.

I would argue that a good, genuine ragu isn't boring at all especially if the other person is used to lovely Italian food. However, I have switched to the carbonara (same deal - common dish but it's always poo poo so making it properly should be a minor revelation), no question.

Nelson Mandela fucked around with this message at 03:28 on Jul 13, 2012

dino.
Mar 28, 2010

Yip Yip, bitch.

geetee posted:

Speaking of frying, has anyone made gulab jamun before? People at work bring them in occasionally and I eat them until I develop diabetes and grow a walrus mustache. Not sure what'll happen if I learn to make them myself... I'm planning on trying this recipe: http://www.manjulaskitchen.com/2006/12/23/gulab-jamun/
Really GOOD gulab jamun syrup needs to have saffron, rose water, and cardamom (whole pods lightly crushed, not the ground crap). The smell should be so intoxicating that you want to rub it all over yourself, and wear it as a perfume.

Happy Abobo
Jun 21, 2007

Looks tastier, anyway.

I like turtles posted:

I heard the words "sloppy joes" today and it brought back memories of them from my childhood.

I think there is a very decent possibility of making something really neat and innovative beyond the ground beef, onion and sorta homemade BBQ sauce type recipes with minor variations in spicing, etc, that I'm seeing online. Or, you know, from the can.

Or should just I be happy with the basic idea that seems so common?

If you use a good recipe for an absolutely standard Sloppy Joe, it'd be worlds better than the crap you normally find. I actually had the same sudden craving a few months back, used this recipe, and it really hit the spot. Way better than I remember them being.

Boatswain
May 29, 2012
Clam Chowder, any good recipes?

I'm thinking clams, onions, garlic, some bacon, potatoes and white wine but I think I need something more specific…

Splizwarf
Jun 15, 2007
It's like there's a soup can in front of me!

dino. posted:

Really GOOD gulab jamun syrup needs to have saffron, rose water, and cardamom (whole pods lightly crushed, not the ground crap). The smell should be so intoxicating that you want to rub it all over yourself, and wear it as a perfume.

Got a recipe? Because those are one of my favorite foods and I always want to use the syrup for other things. Like a mixer, a dash of it is great with Tangueray over ice. :3:

Splizwarf fucked around with this message at 14:18 on Jul 13, 2012

dino.
Mar 28, 2010

Yip Yip, bitch.

Splizwarf posted:

Got a recipe? Because those are one of my favorite foods and I always want to use the syrup for other things. Like a mixer, a dash of it is great with Tangueray over ice. :3:
That was the recipe hahaha. Just make a simple syrup, add a couple of pods of crushed cardamom, a small pinch of saffron, and a few shakes of rose water, and let it steep (when hot) until the cardamom cooks through, and the saffron tints everything. Let it come down to room temp on its own, and go to town. It really does make an extremely good cocktail addition. For bonus points, add a squirt or two to hibiscus iced tea, and it will taste amazing.

CuddleChunks
Sep 18, 2004

Boatswain posted:

I'm thinking clams, onions, garlic, some bacon, potatoes and white wine but I think I need something more specific…

Half-and-half, chicken stock and celery too.

RazorBunny
May 23, 2007

CuddleChunks posted:

Half-and-half, chicken stock and celery too.

I use the liquid from the clams (if I'm using canned clams), or seafood stock if I'm using fresh clams. Although I'm sure chicken stock wouldn't be bad in this application.

Recently I saw a clam chowder recipe that called for carrots, and I was very confused. Is that a thing? I've never seen carrots in a seafood chowder.

SDBB
Jan 23, 2002

I am looking to make some hot pepper oil with some homegrown peppers and jalapenos bought in bulk. I've made it before, by heating canola oil in a pot, adding cut peppers, and simmering while stirring frequently. I then put half of it in my oil drizzler which stays on the counter, and put the other half in a washed out jar and into the fridge. I ate all of it and it was delicious.

My wife brought up the idea of bacterial growth and my possible death, so I ask; what is the correct way to make and store hot pepper oil?

Edit for bugged out tilde

SDBB fucked around with this message at 17:19 on Jul 13, 2012

Very Strange Things
May 21, 2008

RazorBunny posted:

I use the liquid from the clams (if I'm using canned clams), or seafood stock if I'm using fresh clams. Although I'm sure chicken stock wouldn't be bad in this application.

Recently I saw a clam chowder recipe that called for carrots, and I was very confused. Is that a thing? I've never seen carrots in a seafood chowder.

The abomination that is called Manhattan Clam "Chowder" will often have carrots in it.

My clam chowder is very similar to my fish chowder, in that the bulk of it is butter and heavy cream. As far as the stock goes, I've usually just used chicken or, if I was out, I made a quick veggie stock BUT the best chowder I ever made was from leftover mussel broth.

Boatswain posted:

I don't really use a recipe but I usually start by cooking some bacon, chopped in a big cast iron pot.
Once some fat is rendered out* I
- throw in chopped onion, sautee it for a few minutes while adding some butter knobs
- throw in some potatoes, chopped. I leave about a third of the skin on mine. let them fry a little before adding
(I just do this part right in the pot, but a pro would probably make a roux separately and add it in:)
- a bunch of stock, and bring it to a boil
- Add in some clam juice or reserved clam broth fairly early.
- add a poo poo load of cream and start whisking in a little flour **
- a few bay leaves, s+p, some thyme is nice but don't go heavy with herbs.
- The clams. Steam them, just until they barely open, clean them and reserve some of that broth. If you can get your hands on a big quahog to throw in, in its shell, it adds a bunch of flavor; make sure it's really clean.
- Simmer, taste, repeat for

Other stuff, that's nice would be:
- some diced celery
- some sweet corn

* Raw salt pork would be a bit more traditional. Also: cook some other bacon until it is quite crispy, pat the fat out of it and reserve to crumble on top of the cups when serving.

** I don't use a lot of flour. I like to do most of my thickening with mashed potato.

I really eyeball it, but an approximate amount thingy for a 2 pound bag of clams would probably be:
- 2 cups of stock
- a pint or more of heavy cream
- a stick of unsalted butter
- 6 potatoes
- 3 smallish onions or a couple big ones
- 3 strips of thick bacon, (6 strips of thin I guess)

Edit: Gotta get you some oyster crackers, there, chummy. But saltines will do.

Very Strange Things fucked around with this message at 17:58 on Jul 13, 2012

Boatswain
May 29, 2012

RazorBunny posted:

Thanks guys!

I ended up doing something different - clams with celery, fennel, carrots, onion, garlic and white wine, cream for stock.

Next time I'll do something cheaper using canned clams, bacon & your ideas.

Mr Kapu
Jul 6, 2009
I want to make three different kinds of samosas for a get-together tomorrow. I'd like to make lentil, vegetable, and ???.

Samosas are a triangular Indian pastry that is usually eaten as an appetizer. They can be stuffed with all sorts of delicious goodies. I've only made them once and that was a few years ago and under the direction of another cook, which means I've forgotten a lot of the ingredient combinations. Does anyone have any experience making them? I've found a good walkthrough for the assembly of samosas but I'd love some pointers from people for familiar with eastern cuisine.

Mr. Wiggles
Dec 1, 2003

We are all drinking from the highball glass of ideology.

Vander posted:

I have a huge amount of unused tomatillo salsa. Can I cook some meat in it for tacos, or is there something about tomatillos that makes that a bad idea?

No it will be fine.

Bonzo
Mar 11, 2004

Just like Mama used to make it!
What the hell can I use corn flour for? My wife bought it thinking it was corn meal.

Scientastic
Mar 1, 2010

TRULY scientastic.
🔬🍒

Bonzo posted:

What the hell can I use corn flour for? My wife bought it thinking it was corn meal.

Make a non-Newtonian fluid!

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer
It depends on whether it's British corn flour, which is corn starch in the states, or American corn flour.

RazorBunny
May 23, 2007

Flash Gordon Ramsay posted:

It depends on whether it's British corn flour, which is corn starch in the states, or American corn flour.

And if it's American corn flour, is it fine or coarse? For some things it doesn't matter, of course.

LongSack
Jan 17, 2003

Very Strange Things posted:

The abomination that is called Manhattan Clam "Chowder" will often have carrots in it.

Is your objection the use of the word "chowder" or something more fundamental? I personally do not like creamy soups and prefer brothy ones, and I have a recipe for Manhattan style clam soup (if you prefer) that is very tasty.

Edit: it doesn't use carrots, however.

Никогда не доверяйте толстому полицейскому или тощему повару

LongSack fucked around with this message at 01:06 on Jul 14, 2012

Propaganda Machine
Jan 2, 2005

Truthiness!
So, I made pad thai for the very first time this week for a bunch of friends. It went well! The sauce was comprised of sugar, rice wine vinegar, tamarind, and fish sauce.

Here's the thing; fish sauce scares me. Smelling tablespoons full of the stuff while I was making the pad thai sauce made me gag a bit. Fish scares me in general, actually. I had a gross experience with a fish stick at age 3, and didn't try eating seafood again until I forced sushi on myself at age 21. Now, I love sushi, and, I can handle fish and chips and calamari and even oysters, but if I have cooked fish I'll almost never be able to finish. So now I have a huge bottle of stinky fish sauce in my kitchen. I'd like it not to go to waste. After all, the pad thai worked well. I would also like to be an awesomer human/cook.

Give me some ideas/advice for how to use this stuff!

dino.
Mar 28, 2010

Yip Yip, bitch.

Mr Kapu posted:

I want to make three different kinds of samosas for a get-together tomorrow. I'd like to make lentil, vegetable, and ???.

Samosas are a triangular Indian pastry that is usually eaten as an appetizer. They can be stuffed with all sorts of delicious goodies. I've only made them once and that was a few years ago and under the direction of another cook, which means I've forgotten a lot of the ingredient combinations. Does anyone have any experience making them? I've found a good walkthrough for the assembly of samosas but I'd love some pointers from people for familiar with eastern cuisine.

Onion Samosa: http://altveg.blogspot.com/2011/06/onion-samosa.html

SubG
Aug 19, 2004

It's a hard world for little things.

Propaganda Machine posted:

Kimchee.

You can also usually sub fish sauce in where you would otherwise use soy sauce in cooking.

The real protip is to use fish sauce pretty much anywhere you are using tomatoes. Both tomatoes and fish sauce are full of glutamate, and you can put a fair amount of fish sauce behind some tomato purée or concasse or whatever before it noticeably alters the flavour balance. You end up just adding a bunch of umami, which is the `meaty' or savoury flavour you get out of a meat broth (for example).

GrAviTy84
Nov 25, 2004

Propaganda Machine posted:

So, I made pad thai for the very first time this week for a bunch of friends. It went well! The sauce was comprised of sugar, rice wine vinegar, tamarind, and fish sauce.

Here's the thing; fish sauce scares me. Smelling tablespoons full of the stuff while I was making the pad thai sauce made me gag a bit. Fish scares me in general, actually. I had a gross experience with a fish stick at age 3, and didn't try eating seafood again until I forced sushi on myself at age 21. Now, I love sushi, and, I can handle fish and chips and calamari and even oysters, but if I have cooked fish I'll almost never be able to finish. So now I have a huge bottle of stinky fish sauce in my kitchen. I'd like it not to go to waste. After all, the pad thai worked well. I would also like to be an awesomer human/cook.

It is staple in pretty much all South East Asian food. Funny enough it, it's great in mac and cheese. Don't think of it as "fish sauce" think of it as "glutimate sauce with funkiness".

RazorBunny
May 23, 2007

Fish sauce is awesome, but if you spill it on your clothes, go throw them in the wash. It has this weird tendency to suddenly become noticeable hours afterward. And it reeks when it does.

pnumoman
Sep 26, 2008

I never get the last word, and it makes me very sad.
If thinking about fish sauce as funky glutimate sauce isn't intuitive, then think of it as a funkier Worcestershire sauce.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat
I always thought of it as Asian sodium with funk

Ghost of Reagan Past
Oct 7, 2003

rock and roll fun
I'm making hummus for a party tonight, but...I didn't soak enough chickpeas. I don't have a pressure cooker.

Is there anything I can do other than buy a can or two of chickpeas?

Cowcatcher
Dec 23, 2005

OUR PEOPLE WERE BORN OF THE SKY

Ghost of Reagan Past posted:

I'm making hummus for a party tonight, but...I didn't soak enough chickpeas. I don't have a pressure cooker.

Is there anything I can do other than buy a can or two of chickpeas?

I did that once, so I took the plunge and boiled dried chickpeas. I just left them on the stove for longer than usual, and no one noticed anything :ninja:

Semisponge
Mar 9, 2006

I FUCKING LOVE BUTTS
I've come to the conclusion that the more fish sauce you use, the better the leftovers taste. Sure, it might smell like feet, but it really is an excellent flavor-betterer. Learn to like it. Learn to love it.

Ghost of Reagan Past
Oct 7, 2003

rock and roll fun

Cowcatcher posted:

I did that once, so I took the plunge and boiled dried chickpeas. I just left them on the stove for longer than usual, and no one noticed anything :ninja:
Well, I can't imagine they would notice anything since it'll all be pureed anyway.

Going with this. Let's hope it works in time!

Foxfire_
Nov 8, 2010

My pepper plants bore fruit, so I tried my hand at making some salsa for a barbaque I was going to. It didn't turn out particularly well and I want some advice about what to change for next time. My goal was a thin spicy/sweet salsa.

I did:

- seed and mince a habanero
- quarter a medium tomato
- blend until smooth
- add some garlic and onion powder
- chop up half a mango and mash it into the salsa
At this point it was too watery, so I cooked it down until it was about salsa consistency and called it done.

The problems:
- It tasted too tomato-y. It was too much like tomato sauce instead of salsa
- The spiciness was uneven. Some bites would be bland and some would be good. It wasn't ever too spicy though.

What should I change for attempt 2?

nwin
Feb 25, 2002

make's u think

Quick question: I'm making buttermilk fried chicken tonight and using the ad hoc recipe which I've done before.

Problem is I only have about 1-2 cups AP flour, and a bag of whole wheat flour, bag of bread flour, and some wondra flour.

Really tryin not to go to the store today...would the bread flour or something else work or not really what I'm looking for?

The recipe calls to dredge in a flour mixture containing spices, dip in buttermilk, then dredge in flour mixture again- then deep fry.

Ghost of Reagan Past
Oct 7, 2003

rock and roll fun

Ghost of Reagan Past posted:

Well, I can't imagine they would notice anything since it'll all be pureed anyway.

Going with this. Let's hope it works in time!
It turned out fantastic, just an FYI, throwing in dried beans. I just let them cook for some extra time, and using that extra time made some pita bread...

Fresh pita best pita, holy poo poo.

Bonzo
Mar 11, 2004

Just like Mama used to make it!

RazorBunny posted:

And if it's American corn flour, is it fine or coarse? For some things it doesn't matter, of course.

American and it is fine

pile of brown
Dec 31, 2004

Foxfire_ posted:

My pepper plants bore fruit, so I tried my hand at making some salsa for a barbaque I was going to. It didn't turn out particularly well and I want some advice about what to change for next time. My goal was a thin spicy/sweet salsa.

I did:

- blend until smooth
At this point it was too watery, so I cooked it down until it was about salsa consistency and called it done.

The problems:
- The spiciness was uneven. Some bites would be bland and some would be good. It wasn't ever too spicy though.

swap out your onion powder for fresh onion: it's a different flavor and the onion adds bulk, sweetness and pungency. You can throw it down on a grill and char it a little if you have a lit grill handy. then blend it with your other stuff.

wateryness: only use the flesh of your tomato

spiciness: make it a day ahead and let it sit overnight, it will become more consistent in flavor.

tomato-ness: you don't actually need a tomato in your mango salsa. if you do want tomato, adding the fresh onion should lighten the tomato flavor; but start your next batch with half as much tomato and add more if youre sure you want it. also theres a pretty big difference in fresh and cooked salsa, usually I wouldn't cook a fruit salsa (other than maybe grilling the onion or chiles) unless it was an unripe stonefruit salsa or something

I didnt see you mention cilantro but there should definitely be cilantro.

pile of brown fucked around with this message at 21:39 on Jul 14, 2012

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GrAviTy84
Nov 25, 2004

Foxfire_ posted:

I did:

- blend until smooth

The problems:

Before answering your questions, here are some general critiques on your recipe:

- Use fresh onion and garlic. It will taste significantly better. There is a time and place for powders, but this is not it.
- Add green flavors like cilantro and scallions. These will round out your salsa considerably.
- I don't see a mention of salt, but if you're not salting, you should. It will make your mangoes taste mangoey-er, your peppers taste pepperyer, and everything taste everything-ier
- I don't see a mention of acid. Lime juice is the go to for a Mexican-type salsa. It will lift all of your fruit flavors and blend them with your green flavors.

On tomatoes:
The act of refrigerating will kill your tomatoeyness, permanently. There is a flavor compound that turns off for good when cold. This is why you should never buy tomatoes that have been refrigerated or store them in the refrigerator. If you refrigerate, I would just oust the tomato completely because it won't really add much at all, except for water.

Re spiciness, try pureeing for longer, or pureeing the habs and the juice by themselves until smooth. This will ensure that you are not leaving residual chunks of pepper in the final product.

Edit: :doh: pileofbrown beat me to a lot of this, so just consider it seconding.