Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

COUNTIN THE BILLIES
Jan 8, 2006

by Ion Helmet

Turkeybone posted:

Yeah, most of the REITs (AGNC, ARR, NLY, HTS, TWO, etc)are doing pretty well.. they indirectly benefit from the troubled waters, as the Fed will probably continue to not gently caress with interest rates for awhile.

It's really just dumb luck that I chose to sell CIM to raise some cash.

Those REITs were a good play.

Kneel Before Zog posted:

Can anyone suggest a site or blog that goes over why that days highest/lowest price gainers jumped or dropped in price?

The only thing I like about StockTwits is you can zoom in to see what stock had the unusual amount of chatter as it means something odd happened with that stock.

http://stocktwits.com/signals/stocks/day

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dolphin
Dec 5, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Kneel Before Zog posted:

Can anyone suggest a site or blog that goes over why that days highest/lowest price gainers jumped or dropped in price?
You probably shouldn't do this, you'll lose money. But if you must, don't rely on blogs, rely on press releases and other market information, analysts are completely confirmationist. If the market goes up they'll say "market goes up on renewed optimism for X" and if the market goes down they'll say "market declines on renewed X fears." With a couple exceptions, it's all junk information. If someone says something about a stock, be sure to double check their information before you use it for trading purposes.
If you're planning to use a strategy like this be sure that you have a rock solid grasp of fundamental analysis or you'll get burned, top losers often drop for days or weeks and top gainers can do the same in the opposite direction. Buying the occasional top loser can be a good strategy ONLY if you can recognize overselling. Even then, investors can continue to freak out about rumors and downgrades and technical bullshit for longer than you would want to hold a volatile position. Set exits, and don't hold overnight unless you're positive the stock is going to bounce back.

Dolphin fucked around with this message at 04:44 on Jul 10, 2012

YeahDavidLeeRoth
Sep 23, 2008

Do you people have any good, preferably easy to read, guides to reading and understanding financial data on stocks. I'm trying to better understand balance sheets/income data and see jumps out as dangerous. I see a lot of you comment on things like this when people mention stocks here, looking to gain some of that knowledge without having to do a degree in finance.

bam thwok
Sep 20, 2005
I sure hope I don't get banned

YeahDavidLeeRoth posted:

Do you people have any good, preferably easy to read, guides to reading and understanding financial data on stocks. I'm trying to better understand balance sheets/income data and see jumps out as dangerous. I see a lot of you comment on things like this when people mention stocks here, looking to gain some of that knowledge without having to do a degree in finance.

First you've gotta understand the four financial statements and how they relate to each other:
http://www.quickmba.com/accounting/fin/statements/

The information and format of these documents are standardized across most firms in the US based on what are called Generally Accepted Accounting Principles. Because of this, you can compare similar companies using the same metrics to pick out which are the riskiest or best performing. There's about a million different ratios people use, either alone or in tandem, based almost entirely on personal preference or specific to the industry in question being examined.

The Polish Pirate
Apr 4, 2005

How many Polacks does it take to captain a pirate ship? One.
Linkedin dropped a bit due to the FB announcement, but LNKD still only has like 20% of the job market and I don't see people moving to FB for professional referrals and offers. I mean who wants their private life on display to prospective employers? Probably going to jump in to LNKD expecting that they will hit 125 this year.

Elephanthead
Sep 11, 2008

Toilet Rascal

bam thwok posted:

First you've gotta understand the four financial statements and how they relate to each other:
http://www.quickmba.com/accounting/fin/statements/

The information and format of these documents are standardized across most firms in the US based on what are called Generally Accepted Accounting Principles. Because of this, you can compare similar companies using the same metrics to pick out which are the riskiest or best performing. There's about a million different ratios people use, either alone or in tandem, based almost entirely on personal preference or specific to the industry in question being examined.

Cash and cashflow is the only thing that is hard(er) to manipulate. Read the footnotes even if they make your face fall off. You still have the problem that the market already has experts doing this and they are probably better at it then you. The game is rigged, just ride the bubbles to bankruptcy!

hummingbird hoedown
Sep 23, 2004

IS THAT A STUPID NEWBIE AVATAR? FUCK NO, YOU'RE GETTING A PENTAR

SKILCRAFT KREW Reppin' Quality Blind Made Products
If anyone is thinking of moving over to OptionsHouse let me know so I can refer you.

I made the switch from TD Ameritrade because of the fees. TD Ameritrade has some great services and perks but I wasn't using any of them. I can't beat $3.95 for a trade.

onefish
Jan 15, 2004

A stock-buying trip report for any thread lurkers:

Don't buy individual stocks if you don't have the time or skills to do the analysis. I clearly don't have the patience/skills to analyze businesses yet, and without that, I'm always gonna take a bath.

Bought 500 shares NOK at 2.85. Watched it bounce for a little, decided it had been a dumb move to buy, and managed to sell 400 shares at 2.99. Holding the last 100 shares now at 1.85. Will continue to hold until company goes bankrupt (v. small part of my portfolio) or else rises gloriously like a phoenix , but basically this experience did what it was probably supposed to do--get me to stay the hell away from individual stocks until I learn more.

nebby
Dec 21, 2000
resident mog

YeahDavidLeeRoth posted:

Here are some:

http://www.amazon.com/Fire-Your-Sto...r+stock+analyst

http://www.amazon.com/How-Read-Fina...a+balance+sheet

and a bit easier

http://www.amazon.com/Fundamental-A...sis+for+dummies

MrBigglesworth
Mar 26, 2005

Lover of Fuzzy Meatloaf
Weird how Viacom stock hasnt done anything today after cutting off millions of customers from their channels on the DirecTV system.

Elephanthead
Sep 11, 2008

Toilet Rascal
People think Viacom is winning the showdown.

Turkeybone
Dec 9, 2006

:chef: :eng99:
Woo, suck it BBY. I'm up 15% (on a paltry amount, but at least I was correct).

Shrinkage
Oct 23, 2010

onefish posted:

Don't buy individual stocks if you are gonna buy NOK.

Pudgygiant
Apr 8, 2004

Garnet and black? More like gold and blue or whatever the fuck colors these are

onefish posted:

Don't buy individual stocks if you don't have the time or skills to do the analysis. I clearly don't have the patience/skills to analyze businesses yet, and without that, I'm always gonna take a bath.

Bought 500 shares NOK at 2.85. Watched it bounce for a little, decided it had been a dumb move to buy, and managed to sell 400 shares at 2.99. Holding the last 100 shares now at 1.85. Will continue to hold until company goes bankrupt (v. small part of my portfolio) or else rises gloriously like a phoenix , but basically this experience did what it was probably supposed to do--get me to stay the hell away from individual stocks until I learn more.

There's a big difference between trading individual stocks for profit and going long on an established performer or dividend royalty. KO, HAS, PG are all doing relatively terrible from a day trading standpoint but if you're looking to hold long they're all great buys right now. The exception to this is ABT. Always bet on ABT.

sbaldrick
Jul 19, 2006
Driven by Hate
There are two things I really know about the stock market, for individual stocks always go long, and never think you're smart enough to play the futures market.

Turkeybone
Dec 9, 2006

onefish posted:

And on top of that, at least 10% of your profits went to pay the commission.

PRADA SLUT
Mar 14, 2006

Inexperienced,
heartless,
but even so

sbaldrick posted:

There are two things I really know about the stock market, for individual stocks always go long, and never think you're smart enough to play the futures market.

Professionals sell options, amateurs buy them.

onefish
Jan 15, 2004

Pudgygiant posted:

There's a big difference between trading individual stocks for profit and going long on an established performer or dividend royalty. KO, HAS, PG are all doing relatively terrible from a day trading standpoint but if you're looking to hold long they're all great buys right now. The exception to this is ABT. Always bet on ABT.

But is going long on an established performer really a better move than index investing? In what situations or for what purposes?

hummingbird hoedown
Sep 23, 2004

IS THAT A STUPID NEWBIE AVATAR? FUCK NO, YOU'RE GETTING A PENTAR

SKILCRAFT KREW Reppin' Quality Blind Made Products

sbaldrick posted:

I don't think it's fair to write off an entire sector of trading just because it's not mainstream. You can make or lose money in options and futures just as well as you can make or lose money on stocks.

I've started getting into options lately and there are aspects I really like about them, namely there is a definite time by which you have to make a decision. It prevents you from sitting on something for too long and either holding something for years only to gain a couple percent or holding out on a losing stock thinking it will eventually go back up.

change my name
Aug 27, 2007

Legends die but anime is forever.

RIP The Lost Otakus.

Hummer Driving human being posted:

If anyone is thinking of moving over to OptionsHouse let me know so I can refer you.

I made the switch from TD Ameritrade because of the fees. TD Ameritrade has some great services and perks but I wasn't using any of them. I can't beat $3.95 for a trade.

Sent you a PM! Working at ubs has inspired me to actually like, use some of the poo poo they make me learn.

sbaldrick
Jul 19, 2006
Driven by Hate
My great-uncle who was a high end futures trader and later sat on various exchange boards always said this about futures "only 500 people in the world really know how to trade futures, and of those only 100 make money at it". Nothing I've ever seen has changed that.

TOO SCSI FOR MY CAT
Oct 12, 2008

this is what happens when you take UI design away from engineers and give it to a bunch of hipster art student "designers"
Any thoughts on Aqua America? I bought a small position in April at $22, and then in June and July it went nuts and shot up by 20% (currently at $26.60). I can't figure out why this happened, to me it looks just like any other water utility.

Elephanthead
Sep 11, 2008

Toilet Rascal

PRADA SLUT posted:

Professionals sell options, amateurs buy them.

There are crazy high prices on puts and calls all the time. I think hedge funds abuse them somehow. I love selling puts for stocks I want to own anyway.

Shrinkage
Oct 23, 2010

Janin posted:

Any thoughts on Aqua America? I bought a small position in April at $22, and then in June and July it went nuts and shot up by 20% (currently at $26.60). I can't figure out why this happened, to me it looks just like any other water utility.

Drought in more than 20 states?

evilwaldo
Aug 2, 2004

@dcurban1: #FlyersTalk @28CGiroux and @Hartsy19 What do the C and A mean to you? We as fans expect more.Are you leaders or do you just make funny vids

@dcurban1: #flyerstalk @28CGiroux @Hartsy19 The A and the C are supposed to mean something. Leadership not stock quotes to reporters. Time to lead.

Janin posted:

Utilities have been hot for awhile. It may just be cyclical rotation between sectors.

alnilam
Nov 10, 2009

Shrinkage posted:

Drought in more than 20 states?

I don't know much about the economics of utilities, but I would have guessed drought meant hard times for a water utility.

Shrinkage
Oct 23, 2010

alnilam posted:

I don't know much about the economics of utilities, but I would have guessed drought meant hard times for a water utility.

It's nothing more than a guess but maybe the lack of available natural water substitute means that farmers would have to pay the utilities company for water instead of getting some of it for free from the rain.

Quick Google

quote:

Elsewhere in the state, many larger cities are in a very different situation. San Marcos, San Antonio, Odessa and Lubbock are among those with revenues that are either higher than normal or higher than last year's

quote:

Tom Taggart, director of the San Marcos utility, said that the drought tends to mean more money for the utility "until you're in the deeper-stage restrictions." He estimates that revenues are up roughly 10 percent this year, due to more watering before restrictions (now twice a week) took effect.

Shrinkage fucked around with this message at 19:09 on Jul 13, 2012

Turkeybone
Dec 9, 2006

Shrinkage posted:

Just bought couple hundred shares [of HPQ] at 20.45.

I'll see you in a couple of years mate. ;)

Well, at least you didn't go with NOK.

Shrinkage
Oct 23, 2010

Turkeybone posted:

Well, at least you didn't go with NOK.

I did say a couple of years, mate.

evilwaldo
Aug 2, 2004

@dcurban1: #FlyersTalk @28CGiroux and @Hartsy19 What do the C and A mean to you? We as fans expect more.Are you leaders or do you just make funny vids

@dcurban1: #flyerstalk @28CGiroux @Hartsy19 The A and the C are supposed to mean something. Leadership not stock quotes to reporters. Time to lead.

Shrinkage posted:

I did say a couple of years, mate.
Still. I feel sorry for you. It may take years to revamp the product lines.

COUNTIN THE BILLIES
Jan 8, 2006

by Ion Helmet
HPQ is a good SHORT-term investment. Not best, but you could do a lot worst. I would've waited until August to buy though. The market has oversold it.

COUNTIN THE BILLIES fucked around with this message at 22:28 on Jul 13, 2012

Socrates_Bro
Feb 11, 2011
Greetings all,

I'm involved in financial research and am familiar with some of the various tools available for developing empirically grounded investment and trading strategies.

If anybody has ideas they'd like to test, post and we can work out what data you will need to assemble to give the idea a looking over. Alternatively, if you lack ideas, but love staring at excel spreadsheets for hours on end putting together data for somebody else's ideas, post, too, I've got all kinds of joy and fun for you.

I'll post results and an interpretation back to the thread when I've gotten the data in either case.

Socrates_Bro fucked around with this message at 03:09 on Jul 16, 2012

salted hash browns
Mar 26, 2007
ykrop

Socrates_Bro posted:

Greetings all,

I'm involved in financial research and am familiar with some of the various tools available for developing empirically grounded investment and trading strategies.

If anybody has ideas they'd like to test, post and we can work out what data you will need to assemble to give the idea a looking over. Alternatively, if you lack ideas, but love staring at excel spreadsheets for hours on end putting together data for somebody else's ideas, post, too, I've got all kinds of joy and fun for you.

I'll post results and an interpretation back to the thread when I've gotten the data in either case.

What kind of data are you using?

Turkeybone
Dec 9, 2006

Today was about closing a few positions: V, FB, and OPEN have all been banked.

e: Also played with a straddle on BAC, because, why not?

Turkeybone fucked around with this message at 19:25 on Jul 16, 2012

Socrates_Bro
Feb 11, 2011

iamthexander posted:

What kind of data are you using?

I have access to Bloomberg and Reuters for pulling common data. Any exotic data, I can advise on how whoever is interested will need to assemble it from original sources.

change my name
Aug 27, 2007

Legends die but anime is forever.

RIP The Lost Otakus.

Isn't bloomberg access usually limited to institutions unless you pay a really high licensing fee?

PRADA SLUT
Mar 14, 2006

Inexperienced,
heartless,
but even so
I thought anyone could get it as long as you put up the $2,000 a month?

madkapitolist
Feb 5, 2006
:negative: Bought ZNGA at 4.96.... dropped ~10% already. Would you pull the ripcord or wait for Q2 earnings next week?

PRADA SLUT
Mar 14, 2006

Inexperienced,
heartless,
but even so

madkapitolist posted:

:negative: Bought ZNGA at 4.96.... dropped ~10% already. Would you pull the ripcord or wait for Q2 earnings next week?

Do you have reason to suspect Q2 earnings aren't going to be strong?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Turkeybone
Dec 9, 2006

:ughh: ZNGA hasn't done anything but go straight down since February.. what was your plan with buying at 4.96? Like really I wish I had been shorting this, it hasn't managed to string together more than 4 positive days once in this whole time.

Anyway, if it were me, I would get out.

e: I'm in a similar situation with BIDU.. the stock has been lovely for months, China is slowing down a lot, yet pops was insistent that we "get in" on it. Painful lessons.