Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Ignite Memories
Feb 27, 2005

Smite posted:

I was a bit wary about picking up chocolate milk after having it ruin my game a few patches ago, but it seemed to do an alright job and eventually I acquired myself a brimstone as well. Being able to fire one of those shots constantly or charge the full thing up in 1.5 seconds was pretty sweet. Still did absolutely no damage to isaac, but I chipped away at him long enough and conquered the chest.

Now, I wish this game would stop resetting my secrets unlocked from 96 back down to 93. It really doesn't want me to get credit for beating it with Cain, Samson or Eve.

Waitwaitwait, this is important.

So Chocolate Milk and Brimstone no longer equal no damage?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jibo
May 22, 2007

Bear Witness
College Slice

pw pw pw posted:

Waitwaitwait, this is important.

So Chocolate Milk and Brimstone no longer equal no damage?

The 1.4 patch "fixed" them, but I found the damage output on Brimstone to be pretty low the last time I had it.

Doniazade posted:

Haha, played for the first time since the patch that added The Chest and beat it on the first try. I went into the chest with 12 soul hearts and 0 normal hearts (Guppy's Paw), The Polaroid and The Sacrificial Dagger. One of the items in the first room of The Chest was the tarot deck, giving me The Emperor. Use card, mash dagger into boss while invulnerable from Polaroid/0 hearts interaction, win.

My Eve run was with no damage up items. It Lives took a half hour or so to beat. When I got to the chest, one of the boxes had The Virus in it, so I was able to win by just popping Guppy's Paw on all 7 of my hearts and mashing myself into ???. What a painful rear end run.

Sporkles
Mar 15, 2010

Power of Pecota posted:

God, I forgot how much it sucks to play as ???, Eve's Bird Foot is the only thing standing between me and a completed game, and on a really good run where the Mitre dropped I made it to phase 3 of the ??? fight but the homing burst things just built up and took me out.

This is me right now, and it's getting frustrating. I feel like every time I play as ??? I either get a decent damage output setup but no way to regen soul hearts, or have decent soul heart regen but no damage upgrades, so either way I end up getting whittled down.

Not to mention the RNG loves to give me poo poo that's totally useless for ???. Vampire? Little Chad? Yum Heart? Guppy's Paw? Sure have seen those multiple times! It also loves to spawn rooms full of greed heads or those loving masks. It hates me. :(

Plus I accidentally picked up the Cursed Skull twice and that is the most annoying thing ever. Who thought that was a good idea?

Dr. VooDoo
May 4, 2006

So the wiki says that the spelunker hat should allow me to discover the top secret room in WotL like the normal secret room yet I haven't had it pink off once, despite knowing there's a top secret room on each level. What gives?

Color Printer
May 9, 2011

You get used to it. I don't
even see the code. All I see
is Ipecac, Scapular, Polyphemus...

Dr. VooDoo posted:

So the wiki says that the spelunker hat should allow me to discover the top secret room in WotL like the normal secret room yet I haven't had it pink off once, despite knowing there's a top secret room on each level. What gives?

The latest patch made dark secret rooms sometimes inaccessible or in weird places, I think.

Dickweasel Alpha
Feb 8, 2011

Mod Secrets #614 - Experto Crede is the one who bought most of those frog avatars
I'm feeling good about the console release of Binding of Isaac

Edmund posted:

Anonymous posted:

Besides new items and graphics, what do you plan on adding to the new isaac, if anything?
tons of poo poo, i have a huge list of dream ideas that couldnt be done in flash that id like to attempt.. as well as co-op

KataraniSword
Apr 22, 2008

but at least I don't have
a MLP or MSPA avatar.
I am my own man.

FrancisYorkPatty posted:

tons of poo poo, i have a huge list of dream ideas that couldnt be done in flash that id like to attempt.. as well as co-op

Just a warning, Florian, Edmund. People who play console stuff expect their products to be FINISHED when it's released. None of this "We'll slap together a patch without testing if it breaks things" stuff.

Arianya
Nov 3, 2009

Oh boy, co-op, it'll be like having a stage 4 meatboy but with cussing.

Dodecalypse
Jun 21, 2012

SKA SUCKS

Conot posted:

Oh boy, co-op, it'll be like having a stage 4 meatboy but with cussing.

I dunno, you could get a fun version of "hot-potato" going with a bomb.

Dickweasel Alpha
Feb 8, 2011

Mod Secrets #614 - Experto Crede is the one who bought most of those frog avatars

KataraniSword posted:

Just a warning, Florian, Edmund. People who play console stuff expect their products to be FINISHED when it's released. None of this "We'll slap together a patch without testing if it breaks things" stuff.

Florian and Edmund aren't even touching this. It's all a completely separate team working on this, even the art assets aren't done by Edmund. From the sounds of things they're doing a slightly different style and a different artist will be tracing Ed's old sprites and changing bits and bobs to match an overall similar yet coherent style with the new additions.

Ed's doing pure oversight because he's working on a Super Meat Boy repackage + a new game he refers to as "Game 2" because it's a secret or something.

Also after reading his Formspring it's pretty clear that Ed knows about the bugs constantly popping up, and he does playtest, it's just a lot of things going on + tunnelvision on other bugs. Seems like he just wants to get one last stable build going with all the bugs ironed out so he can release a 1.5 and never, ever touch this game again :v:

Gromit
Aug 15, 2000

I am an oppressed White Male, Asian women wont serve me! Save me Campbell Newman!!!!!!!
Maybe that other team will back-port it to the PC so we can finally be rid of flash. Not going to hold my breath though.

Slime
Jan 3, 2007

Gromit posted:

Maybe that other team will back-port it to the PC so we can finally be rid of flash. Not going to hold my breath though.

I can see why people would use flash. What I can't see is why you'd use it for a game that isn't browser based.

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

Wait, so it's confirmed it's coming to a console? I'm kinda lost here.

TheGame
Jul 4, 2005

:shepface:God I fucking love Diablo 3 gold, it even paid for this shitty title:shepface:
I just realized that I've never encountered a bunch of the items unlocked by the challenge runs. I've found the Candle, the Lucky Toe, the Burnt Penny, Guppy's Tail, the Fishhead and the Counterfeit Penny many times, but never the Egg Sack, Spider Butt, Super Fan, or Epic Fetus. Are these just really rare or am I bugged? They don't even display in the 'secrets discovered' menu. I've played a ton with them all unlocked, you'd think I'd have seen them by now.

AnonSpore
Jan 19, 2012

"I didn't see the part where he develops as a character so I guess he never developed as a character"

TheGame posted:

I just realized that I've never encountered a bunch of the items unlocked by the challenge runs. I've found the Candle, the Lucky Toe, the Burnt Penny, Guppy's Tail, the Fishhead and the Counterfeit Penny many times, but never the Egg Sack, Spider Butt, Super Fan, or Epic Fetus. Are these just really rare or am I bugged? They don't even display in the 'secrets discovered' menu. I've played a ton with them all unlocked, you'd think I'd have seen them by now.

Super Fan is super rare; I've only seen it once during my run to Platinum God. Egg Sack I've seen maybe four times, spider butt about the same (which means they're still pretty uncommon). Epic Fetus used to be really common but now it's vanishingly rare, as it should be considering its power. They're out there, just not that common.

DoubleNegative
Jan 27, 2010

The most virtuous child in the entire world.
Is anyone else having difficulties with the game taking away unlocks? I'm sitting at 93/97 secrets and the game keeps taking away Samson's Lock, Eve's Bird Foot, and the Left Hand every time I close it out. I also can't unlock the Forgotten Horseman for anything.

Those four secrets, the Crystal Ball, and the Ankh are the only things standing between me and Platinum God. :sigh:

MiltonSlavemasta
Feb 12, 2009

And the cats in the cradle and the silver spoon
Little boy blue and the man on the moon
"When you coming home, dad?"
"I don't know when
We'll get together then son you know we'll have a good time then."

TheGame posted:

Those are definitely rarer items that you haven't seen, but you might be bugged. Do you have the steam achievements for unlocking them? If not, they probably don't have a chance to spawn.

Infinity Gaia
Feb 27, 2011

a storm is coming...

I seem to have achieved the secret purgatory ending to the game.

Basically, I was having a pretty good run, but low on trinkets. Only one I found the whole game was a Cursed Skull early on, and I picked it up because, you know, whatever. I also picked up the Scapular at some point.

I get all the way to Cathedral, which is something that rarely happens for me, so I basically get my rear end beaten by the boss. Now, I had been saving a Bad Trip pill for this, because I knew I'd be terrible. Unfortunately, Bad Trip only becomes a full heal if you have 1 heart or less, counting soul hearts. The Scapular gives me a soul heart whenever I'm down to 1 heart, but only once per room.

But the cursed skull teleports me out of a room when I hit one heart.

So I'm sitting around in the Cathedral, incapable of beating the boss, because if I take even one hit, I get teleported out in the same state. I'm just going to call it a secret ending and move on.

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

I randomly clicked BoI on Twitch and woah, it's Ed and Danielle streaming the game. No idea how much longer it'll go on, I just noticed it now.

http://www.twitch.tv/danielleorama

BlackFrost
Feb 6, 2008

Have you figured it out yet?
Damage and fire rate ridiculously high. Nun's habit combined with book of revelations, granting me near infinite health. Pick up Polaroid after beating Mom. Get a huge sense of "ready for this loving poo poo."

Isaac's tears say it all.

I admit defeat.

gently caress this game forever. I'm done. :negative:

Spinning Robo
Apr 17, 2007
Just had a lovely run where 3 rooms on the final floor were "2 greed heads and a hanging greed" and the mom fight was the one that spawns WOTL enemies

why do i even bother with this dlc

Little Blue Couch
Oct 19, 2007

WIRED FOR SOUND
AND
DOWN FOR WHATEVER
I took a break from this game for a bit and I've gotta say that bugs and all, this expansion has put the fear of god back in me - you know, in a manner of speaking. Before downloading the dlc, I could consistently beat almost every run. The expansion has bumped the difficulty so much that I'm now back to being a scared little naked kid getting my rear end kicked at every juncture. I appreciate this.

Power of Pecota
Aug 4, 2007

Goodness no, now that wouldn't do at all!

:toot:

Getting the Mitre from the first floor basement treasure room and not running into anything godawful until after beating Mom and getting the Polaroid left me with a huge backload of soul hearts and lots of invincibility frames with ??? and I managed to survive the ??? fight.

After slogging through the Samson and ??? Cathedral runs, I did a victory lap run with Isaac where I just D6'd as much stuff as possible. It was like one of those batting weights that make swinging the normal bat seem lighter, I breezed through it. I ended up getting a Forget-Me-Now in the last room in the Chest and went through it again, and among a bunch of other things I had Mom's Knife + Polyphemus + Mom's Bra + The Virus for the ??? fight. I just used the Bra freeze effect and ran up to ???, he was dead in like five seconds.

E: BlackFrost, you aren't even mentioning that you've got Sacred Heart! It's in the same camp as Epic Fetus and the Prayer Card in that I haven't seen it anywhere recently.

Brain In A Jar
Apr 21, 2008

Welp, Judas, Dr. Fetus, speed up, luck up pill, Mr. Mega.

Looks like this'll at least be an easy sheol/cath ru-

Oh wait it's Mega Pride, and he's immune to bombs. And the door to his room is unbombable.

gently caress.

Not Al-Qaeda
Mar 20, 2012
Two curses of labyrinth in a row, two greeds instead of shop in a row, and then two three four curses of darkness in a row, all in one game. :negative:

e: holy poo poo I actually beat ??? in that run

Not Al-Qaeda fucked around with this message at 17:19 on Jul 13, 2012

Arianya
Nov 3, 2009

Brain In A Jar posted:

Oh wait it's Mega Pride, and he's immune to bombs. And the door to his room is unbombable.

gently caress.

Funnily enough, the one type of bomb he isn't immune to is the Ipecac shots, which made him a really easy fight for me.

Slime
Jan 3, 2007

Brain In A Jar posted:

gently caress.

That...is some INCREDIBLE bullshit. It was literally impossible for you to win.

Dickweasel Alpha
Feb 8, 2011

Just to clarify on the Xbox port stuff: Yes it's happening, there's a team working on it. It won't be done for a while, and the work is done on a PC anyway so there isn't a need to port it to the PC, it'll just get released on the PC too.

HGH
Dec 20, 2011

quote:

gently caress.

Actually, he isn't immune to bombs. He's immune to troll bombs, which you shoot your eyes. Get close to him and lay down a regular Mr. Mega with E though....

Well, unless you didn't have any bombs, but considering you had Dr. Fetus, you probably had a small stockpile.

Doniazade
Jul 13, 2006

by T. Finninho
Fun fact: Epic Fetus doesn't work if you have Mom's Knife. Finally get it for the first time after the patch and it's useless...

Edit: Oh wait yes it does, I just had to switch room.

Not Al-Qaeda
Mar 20, 2012

FrancisYorkPatty posted:

Just to clarify on the Xbox port stuff: Yes it's happening, there's a team working on it. It won't be done for a while, and the work is done on a PC anyway so there isn't a need to port it to the PC, it'll just get released on the PC too.

I can't believe how excited I am for a non-flash version BOI.

Not Al-Qaeda
Mar 20, 2012
Found this work-around, maybe useful for some people.

quote:

Steam Achievements For Mac

For the achievements gained on a Mac to be unlocked in Steam, one has to copy and replace the so.sol files as outlined here. The file is located in:

~/Library/Preferences/Macromedia/Flash Player/#SharedObjects/''<Random String>''/localhost/

After extracting it, follow the instructions given in the aforementioned link. Finally launch the game and see the achievements unlock.

Jibo
May 22, 2007

Bear Witness
College Slice

Doniazade posted:

Fun fact: Epic Fetus doesn't work if you have Mom's Knife. Finally get it for the first time after the patch and it's useless...

Edit: Oh wait yes it does, I just had to switch room.

Yeah, picking up Epic Fetus after you already have a crazy shot type (chocolate milk, brimstone, tech 2) will wig out in the room you get it but corrects once you change. I came really close to quitting out of what ended up being a successful Judas run because of this.

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

A bracing glass of carrot juice!

Not Al-Qaeda posted:

Not on a Mac here, but you forgot to include the link the instructions refer to.

Van Kraken
Feb 13, 2012

Not Al-Qaeda posted:

Don't get too excited, Mac people. The instructions are just for how to move those files to a PC and unlock the achievements there.

The link goes to this page.

Maybe we'll get achievements with 1.5 :sigh:

ChibiSoma
Apr 13, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
Something is rotten in the state of Denmark.

:crossarms:

Saradiart
Dec 13, 2009

OPENING MY TAI CHI IS ABOUT AS APPEALING AS THE GOATMAN OPENING HIS ANUS
I beat the game as Eve last patch.

I got the bird foot as an in game reward, but I got the ??? soul achievement.

I went back and beat the game as ???, but I didn't get the soul in game.

What do I do?

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!
Don't you think you should put more thought into your battleplan?!

My friend gifted me this game, telling me of how awesome and difficult it is. Either he was exagerating or I have the Devil's Own Luck (as he claims it).

First game I got Technology early and shortly after an Ouija board. The second game I got Brimstone pretty early and this is what I looked like at the end:

Guess I should get the DLC! I am sure my luck is gonna wear out and the game will just destroy me for dozens of playthroughs from now on. :ohdear:

MMAgCh
Aug 15, 2001
I am the poet,
The prophet of the pit
Like a hollow-point bullet
Straight to the head
I never missed...you

Galaga Galaxian posted:

Guess I should get the DLC!
If you're an achievement kind of person, for the love of god earn all the "complete (area) without taking damage" achievements before getting WoTL.

I remain undecided as to whether WotL is really worth it, considering you technically can't play vanilla BoI any longer once you've bought it. The expansion adds some neat items and concepts (trinkets), but so many of the new monsters/rooms are just plain horseshit and make it more of a pain in the rear end than anything.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

FrancisYorkPatty posted:

Seriously? Like on XBLA? Yessssssss!

• Locked thread