Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Buffis
Apr 29, 2006

I paid for this
Fallen Rib

ThePineapple posted:

What do you mean it's not clear how w will save the right after q1? w plays o1, black basically has to s1, then white o2 will live. After looking at it, I can't find any other solution besides ko. You can get a better one than the one buffis posted by playing s1 after w q1, which makes it 2-step and not 3.

drat, that is indeed slightly better. Well... I was close enough

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Yarrbossa
Mar 19, 2008
Just picked up a board for my wife and I from YMImports. We got this board and it's awesome, for anyone who's curious.

I'll be hanging around under `Yarrbossa' and probably getting stomped for a while.

takamoron
Mar 27, 2011

practice nonviolence plz
Does anyone hang out on KGS anymore? I've just started playing again and have been looking for some coaching if anyone has time.

Athanos
Sep 19, 2006

takamoron posted:

Does anyone hang out on KGS anymore? I've just started playing again and have been looking for some coaching if anyone has time.

Lots of people, come by the SA room and ask for access to ITGO.

o.m. 94
Nov 23, 2009

Yeah we're all in ITGO which is the private channel. Wait in SA and when you see people come in, send them a private message or speak up in the channel. If you see me on (oiseaux), please message me and I'll give you some teaching games!

Ziji
Oct 20, 2010
Yossarian lives!
I sort of flirted with playing Go years ago in junior high, but never got into it. I played a game with my Dad and neither of us actually understood what the gently caress we were doing so we didn't even know who won at the end. That being said, I've been needing a new hobby and Go seems like a lot of fun and a good way to spend some time. I'll be on KSG as Ziji, and if anyone is interested in playing some teaching games with me I'd appreciate it!

takamoron
Mar 27, 2011

practice nonviolence plz
Just got back from my first time at the local Go club. Some highlights:
  1. Learning to not lose so badly
  2. Getting slaughtered by a 9 year old
  3. Beer
  4. Learning that you always go for the Big move (and where to look for that)
  5. Being around and playing with extremely patient and strong players
I'll be on KGS when I have time and going back to the club next week for sure. Thanks to element and comaerror for helping me with my first games last week!

cerror
Feb 11, 2008

I have a bad feeling about this...
Babby's first yunzi stones! :3:

Washed and oiled, baby.

Also, a new table board. The irony is, it's made of shin kaya, from spruce, in Alaska... where I live. But, hey, made in China and all.

Athanos
Sep 19, 2006

comaerror posted:

Washed and oiled, baby.

Also, a new table board. The irony is, it's made of shin kaya, from spruce, in Alaska... where I live. But, hey, made in China and all.

Looks pretty sweet man.

o.m. 94
Nov 23, 2009

comaerror posted:

Washed and oiled, baby.

Sick!!! Dat specularity on the black stones..... I've got a really dark "rosewood" folding board that makes the black stones hard to see, I really need to shell out (pun intended) on a proper board.

Nettle Soup
Jan 30, 2010

Oh, and Jones was there too.

I returneth! KGS deleted my account so I'm back to square one.

o.m. 94
Nov 23, 2009

kaya.gs is going live for Beta today.

UPDATE: Gone live, 200 registrations available but running fast. It's to test server load, so if the servers are okay they'll make more available some time on the weekend.

o.m. 94 fucked around with this message at 00:04 on Aug 4, 2012

o.m. 94
Nov 23, 2009

Where are the donations, Gabriel? Where are they

Monitor
Dec 28, 2010

oiseaux morts 1994 posted:

kaya.gs is going live for Beta today.

UPDATE: Gone live, 200 registrations available but running fast. It's to test server load, so if the servers are okay they'll make more available some time on the weekend.

Should I be interested in this if I am really bad at Go.

o.m. 94
Nov 23, 2009

Not really. Nowhere near enough users, it's more if you're curious what it has to offer. It's got some cool features but the UI is a bit... geh

Buffis
Apr 29, 2006

I paid for this
Fallen Rib
What is this I don't even

o.m. 94
Nov 23, 2009

This result favours black, I think.

Under 15
Jan 6, 2005

Mr. Helsbecter will you please stop shooting I am on the phone

My state always gets short shrift on maps of the USA :sigh:

Dopo
Jul 23, 2004
Black needs to tenuki for Hawaii

as halfway crooks
Mar 7, 2007

by Shine
lol banned without warning for saying "farts" in egr

now to spend some time productively

Athanos
Sep 19, 2006

as halfway crooks posted:

I got away with saying it in egr :smug:

as halfway crooks
Mar 7, 2007

by Shine

Athanos posted:

I got away with saying it in egr :smug:

Sorry, you cannot log in because this account or internet address is temporarily blocked. The reason for blocking is "Review of games showed repeated foul language. Don't use 'gently caress' and 'I was raping you' on KGS".

o.m. 94
Nov 23, 2009

Respect for your opponent is a must at all times

Symbolic Butt
Mar 22, 2009

(_!_)
Buglord

Me too! We are fartbrothers...

The General
Mar 4, 2007

I can't go an hour in EGR without provoking several warnings.

Uncle Jam
Aug 20, 2005

Perfect

The General posted:

I can't go an hour in EGR without provoking several warnings.

I don't think I've typed anything in there for years. I can't watch the chat without my brain trying to fold inside out.

EGR certainly destroys any perception that Go is for intellectuals or clever people.

The General
Mar 4, 2007

Uncle Jam posted:

I don't think I've typed anything in there for years. I can't watch the chat without my brain trying to fold inside out.

EGR certainly destroys any perception that Go is for intellectuals or clever people.

It does re-enforce the idea that all go players are pussies though.

as halfway crooks
Mar 7, 2007

by Shine
opening theory made ez owns

as halfway crooks
Mar 7, 2007

by Shine
banned again, i be riding that trollercoaster

Athanos
Sep 19, 2006

banned again, i be riding that trollercoaster

hope u ghost ridin' it

RushMix
May 16, 2007
I'm starting a Go Meetup.com group in the Greater Seattle area, and I wanted to know the answer to the following question:

What name for the game is the most popular in the US (Baduk, Igo, Go)?

o.m. 94
Nov 23, 2009

AFAIK in the West, "Go" is the traditional term. But "Baduk" is used more and more because you can like, use it in a goddamn search engine and things

Uncle Jam
Aug 20, 2005

Perfect

RushMix posted:

I'm starting a Go Meetup.com group in the Greater Seattle area, and I wanted to know the answer to the following question:

What name for the game is the most popular in the US (Baduk, Igo, Go)?

I guess Seattle is a pretty big place, but isn't it the home of pretty much the only purpose built Go building in the US? Other than maybe some places in New York?

Under 15
Jan 6, 2005

Uncle Jam posted:

I guess Seattle is a pretty big place, but isn't it the home of pretty much the only purpose built Go building in the US? Other than maybe some places in New York?

The only one purpose built by White People. There are plenty of go salons and etc. out there, apparently; lovely found one near him to go to.

Uncle Jam
Aug 20, 2005

Perfect

Under 15 posted:

The only one purpose built by White People. There are plenty of go salons and etc. out there, apparently; lovely found one near him to go to.

I'm trying to imagine a seedy rear end go salon on Chene in Detroit but its really hard.

Under 15
Jan 6, 2005

There seems to be, maybe, a chinese club here in Detroit, but nobody I've ever talked to has been there or knows anything about it...

gay for gacha
Dec 22, 2006

This game is hard ! I tried playing on KGS last night, but everyone was like less than 7k and uh the game is very hard. I used to play a lot of chess, was around 1500 rating, and I just can't grasp my head around this game, it's all free form and flows kind of like water or kung-fu

Nettle Soup
Jan 30, 2010

Oh, and Jones was there too.

Come into ITGO and you'll get some help! :) Instructions on how to get in are in the OP. Teaching Ladder is good for getting reviews too. As long as you stay out of the English Game Room the community on KGS is really good!

o.m. 94
Nov 23, 2009

Yeah read the OP for instructions for getting into ITGO, we will help you!

kaya.gs are releasing 200 beta keys in the next 30 minutes if you want to check it out, be quick!!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Symbolic Butt
Mar 22, 2009

(_!_)
Buglord

oiseaux morts 1994 posted:

Yeah read the OP for instructions for getting into ITGO, we will help you!

kaya.gs are releasing 200 beta keys in the next 30 minutes if you want to check it out, be quick!!

got mine :cool:

Is there a itgo in there or something, drat this thing is better already because it's not java and I'm able to log in forever.