Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Knot My President!
Jan 10, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 5 hours!
Yeah they're like 30lb/450cc, iirc. It's all you really need. You should be using the stock injectors until you start getting bogging/knocking at higher boost. Running rich all the time is far worse for the engine than a few pings really.

I put down 210whp with a 15g@20psi, ported 90+ manifold, IPD cam, 3" exhaust, chips, and those 48lb injectors, and some other tricks in the 240ti. I'd personally sell the HE351 and put a 15g on and not deal with clearance issues or fragile headers. Big turbos are cool and all, but the flow rate of the 15g is one of the best I've encountered and the numbers show. A guy ran a 12.8 in a 740 with similar mods to mine and an auto tranny. I know Revolvor put down 340whp with your turbo but he's also running E85 which allows for shittons of boost without knocking.

But my info might be outdated because it's been a year or two since I've dabbled in tuning and I know those crazy tweakers are always doing something new. :D

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

XYLOPAGUS
Aug 23, 2006
--the creator of awesome--

Xovaan posted:

Yeah they're like 30lb/450cc, iirc. It's all you really need. You should be using the stock injectors until you start getting bogging/knocking at higher boost. Running rich all the time is far worse for the engine than a few pings really.

I put down 210whp with a 15g@20psi, ported 90+ manifold, IPD cam, 3" exhaust, chips, and those 48lb injectors, and some other tricks in the 240ti. I'd personally sell the HE351 and put a 15g on and not deal with clearance issues or fragile headers. Big turbos are cool and all, but the flow rate of the 15g is one of the best I've encountered and the numbers show. A guy ran a 12.8 in a 740 with similar mods to mine and an auto tranny. I know Revolvor put down 340whp with your turbo but he's also running E85 which allows for shittons of boost without knocking.

But my info might be outdated because it's been a year or two since I've dabbled in tuning and I know those crazy tweakers are always doing something new. :D

I agree 100% on the HE351 being too big for the car, but it was the plan from the start and I've yet to really have fun with it. Eventually, I plan to either put a smaller turbo or do an NA build with a 16V head for comfort / reliability / more-than-stock power. The header I have for it was used by Brett previously and held up well (he added reinforcing bars to it so that it wouldn't crack), so I'm hopeful it will last several good runs.

I forgot to mention I have a re-built 700R4 (upgrading to an estimated ~500ft-lbs torque rating) waiting to be put in. :D

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

I have an unhealthy obsession with motorcycles.

Proof
Sorry to continue the 240 derail... I intended to make it relevant then got distracted.

Anywho: does anyone have a recommendation for a very sturdy roof rack? I wanna throw my little CB125 up on the roof for when I take the volvo to the beach.

The bike doesn't even weigh 200lbs wet.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

The Something Awful Forums > Discussion > Automotive Insanity > Cycle Asylum > Motorcycle Discussion Thread I: Volvochat

Marv Hushman
Jun 2, 2010

Freedom Ain't Free
:911::911::911:
Re:volvo - The story of Irv Gordon closing in on 3 million miles in his '66 P1800 is making the rounds:

http://www.freep.com/article/20120709/NEWS07/120709017/NY-man-nears-3-millionth-mile-in-beloved-66-Volvo?odyssey=tab|topnews|text|FRONTPAGE

Could it be there's some unrecognized nexus between bike ownership and Volvos? I've been considering one of the things myself, but for reasons that have more to do with being a cheap bastard like Ingvar Kamprad.

clutchpuck
Apr 30, 2004
ro-tard
Was late for work today because there was a Street Glide dude and a Rocket III dude at the gas station who had never seen a XB12X before. So I gave them the grand tour.

The Harley guy liked my "$400 cases" but I had to be honest about how inexpensive the Caribous really were. He apparently hit a deer on his Tiger 800 recently but only does distance on the Glide. I told him my previous ride was a fatty couch but the Buell is more comfortable for the long haul plus I can see over pickups and SUVs.

It's always fun to chat with folks who are about motorcycles.

Knot My President!
Jan 10, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 5 hours!

XYLOPAGUS posted:

I agree 100% on the HE351 being too big for the car, but it was the plan from the start and I've yet to really have fun with it. Eventually, I plan to either put a smaller turbo or do an NA build with a 16V head for comfort / reliability / more-than-stock power. The header I have for it was used by Brett previously and held up well (he added reinforcing bars to it so that it wouldn't crack), so I'm hopeful it will last several good runs.

I forgot to mention I have a re-built 700R4 (upgrading to an estimated ~500ft-lbs torque rating) waiting to be put in. :D

haha, those trannies are beefy as gently caress. I'm a fan of the simple T5 swap myself-- UTAHGTBRICK had a rebuilt/modded WC T5 Cobra tranny for $200 he was gonna sell me but due to him being possibly the biggest sperglord I've ever seen, it completely fell through. :saddowns: Also I'm fairly certain that Volvos make ~100bhp, because most people who dyno them on a proper whp setup only get about 80whp. :smith:

Marv Hushman posted:

Re:volvo - The story of Irv Gordon closing in on 3 million miles in his '66 P1800 is making the rounds:

http://www.freep.com/article/20120709/NEWS07/120709017/NY-man-nears-3-millionth-mile-in-beloved-66-Volvo?odyssey=tab|topnews|text|FRONTPAGE

Could it be there's some unrecognized nexus between bike ownership and Volvos? I've been considering one of the things myself, but for reasons that have more to do with being a cheap bastard like Ingvar Kamprad.

Volvos are literally the cheapest car you can mod/tune/maintain if you live next to a yard, meaning you're saving money that can be later dumped directly into your real money pits (re: motorcycles)

I built my entire '84 240 turbo with a new electric fan, clutch, low mileage transmission, completely rebuilt/gasketed engine, ported manifold, 3" turbo-back exhaust, turbo, injectors, computers-- literally everything through the entire drive train for ~$2000.

That, and their paint holds up pretty well.

My biggest regret was not being able to get/afford Polaris rims before I sold it. New owner put them on along with louvers so the thing is completely loving baller now.

Of course, nothing beats a motorcycle though. But I do regret ever selling it. :(

nsaP
May 4, 2004

alright?

clutchpuck posted:

Was late for work today because there was a Street Glide dude and a Rocket III dude at the gas station who had never seen a XB12X before. So I gave them the grand tour.

The Harley guy liked my "$400 cases" but I had to be honest about how inexpensive the Caribous really were. He apparently hit a deer on his Tiger 800 recently but only does distance on the Glide. I told him my previous ride was a fatty couch but the Buell is more comfortable for the long haul plus I can see over pickups and SUVs.

It's always fun to chat with folks who are about motorcycles.

Get out.

Marv Hushman
Jun 2, 2010

Freedom Ain't Free

Xovaan posted:

I built my entire '84 240 turbo with a new electric fan, clutch, low mileage transmission, completely rebuilt/gasketed engine, ported manifold, 3" turbo-back exhaust, turbo, injectors, computers-- literally everything through the entire drive train for ~$2000.

There are apartments in Japan smaller than that engine bay. I suppose that helps.

Knot My President!
Jan 10, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 5 hours!
Or is it that other car companies suck at making reasonable cars to work on? Swedish engineering owns. :smug: (Which also somehow gave us Saab :saddowns: )

Also I'm pretty sure I don't have to worry about the toilet in my Volvo having a camera in it

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

ERM... Actually I have stellar scores on the surveys, and every year students tell me that my classes are the best ones they’ve ever taken.

Xovaan posted:

Or is it that other car companies suck at making reasonable cars to work on? Swedish engineering owns. :smug: (Which also somehow gave us Saab :saddowns: )

Also I'm pretty sure I don't have to worry about the toilet in my Volvo having a camera in it

Saabs were brilliant cars before GM got their filthy hands on them :colbert:

My father used to own one of these: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dXVRdSbKDT8

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

Proof

Sagebrush posted:

Saabs were brilliant cars before GM got their filthy hands on them :colbert:

My father used to own one of these: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dXVRdSbKDT8

I love how that sounds like a swarm of angry chainsaw wielding bees coming through the woods.

nsaP
May 4, 2004

alright?
Y'all know there's a forum for this, right? http://forums.somethingawful.com/forumdisplay.php?forumid=91

We should be discussing 2 wheels here, like this baller scrambler

Knot My President!
Jan 10, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 5 hours!

nsaP posted:

Y'all know there's a forum for this, right? http://forums.somethingawful.com/forumdisplay.php?forumid=91

We should be discussing 2 wheels here, like this baller scrambler

I like this, but I can't see fitting two Labradors and a family of five on that seat. :confused:

Also messing with people on BARF isn't even fun anymore; you don't even have to try to get people angry. That said, I still firmly believe the Panigale is a terribly designed motorcycle for people with too much money. :colbert:

Slim Pickens
Jan 12, 2007

Grimey Drawer
Ducati says sorry, they couldn't hear you over the clattering of all the superstock trophies their poorly-designed motorcycle's been winning.

Speaking of, I finally saw one in the wild. Judging by the tires and a small scrap of painter's tape on a mirror, he also tracks it. :3:

Baller Witness Bro
Nov 16, 2006

Hey FedEx, how dare you deliver something before your "delivered by" time.
Don't those come stock on panigales? Also, is that chain loose as poo poo or am I just a paranoid chain-tightener?

EDIT -
http://www.motorcyclistonline.com/2012/ducati/panigale/specifications/05/tires.html

FlerpNerpin
Apr 17, 2006

He mean't, as in the wear on the tire (heat cycled and to the edge of tread)

Knot My President!
Jan 10, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 5 hours!

Slim Pickens posted:

Ducati says sorry, they couldn't hear you over the clattering of all the superstock trophies their poorly-designed motorcycle's been winning.

Speaking of, I finally saw one in the wild. Judging by the tires and a small scrap of painter's tape on a mirror, he also tracks it. :3:

Maybe I'm just paranoid, but they don't seem to be able to crash very well. Great race bikes yes, but I can't ever see wanting to ride one on the street. I mean, this goes for any superbike really, but especially an 1199. It's like somebody took the integrity of a rotary and applied it to a bike chassis. :colbert:

Baller Witness Bro
Nov 16, 2006

Hey FedEx, how dare you deliver something before your "delivered by" time.
Looks like a normal reflection on my little monitor, my bad.

clutchpuck
Apr 30, 2004
ro-tard

Xovaan posted:

Maybe I'm just paranoid, but they don't seem to be able to crash very well. Great race bikes yes, but I can't ever see wanting to ride one on the street. I mean, this goes for any superbike really, but especially an 1199. It's like somebody took the integrity of a rotary and applied it to a bike chassis. :colbert:

So you're saying Ducati made a bike chassis awesome?

Knot My President!
Jan 10, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 5 hours!
They only did what inanimate plastic exterior parts of a motorcycle have done for years: produce zero torque and consistently break under moderate pressure :smug:

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

Five degrees to starboard!

What happened to Sigtrap?

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Allegations of sexual harassment.

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3495122

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

ERM... Actually I have stellar scores on the surveys, and every year students tell me that my classes are the best ones they’ve ever taken.
Hah. Well, as long as the new mod will continue to ban mootmoot as required, I'm okay with this. Aside from that, it doesn't seem to be a very demanding job...I remember reading a thread in QCS years ago where one of the mods commented that AI and CA generated the least drama and fewest reports of any of the regular forums. We're just all a bunch of friendly chill dudes I guess.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

I think the point is Z3n is a space cowboy on the edge of a frontier unknown to man, he's out there pushing the limits, trail braking into the abyss. Finding out where the edge of the razor is, turning to face the darkness and revving his 690 into it's vast gaze. You gotta live this to learn it bro.
I'll miss Sigtrap probating me when I get all :spergin:

Day Man
Jul 30, 2007

Champion of the Sun!

Master of karate and friendship...
for everyone!

The clutch cable on my 96 Honda CBR 600 snapped this morning. Should I be looking for an oem replacement? Is it as easy to change as it seems?

clutchpuck
Apr 30, 2004
ro-tard

Day Man posted:

The clutch cable on my 96 Honda CBR 600 snapped this morning. Should I be looking for an oem replacement? Is it as easy to change as it seems?

Theoretically it's easy, but it can be challenging to route and secure it in tight areas.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

I think the point is Z3n is a space cowboy on the edge of a frontier unknown to man, he's out there pushing the limits, trail braking into the abyss. Finding out where the edge of the razor is, turning to face the darkness and revving his 690 into it's vast gaze. You gotta live this to learn it bro.

Day Man posted:

OEM replacement is best, and the easiest way to change it is to zip tie the new one to the old one and just drag it through.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

It's a Honda so it's probably an engine-out procedure

Day Man
Jul 30, 2007

Champion of the Sun!

for everyone!

The routing of the current one doesn't seem very complicated, so I'm not too worried. I have the repair manual to double check the routing, too. Thanks guys!

Marv Hushman
Jun 2, 2010

Freedom Ain't Free

Sagebrush posted:

Hah. Well, as long as the new mod will continue to ban mootmoot as required, I'm okay with this. Aside from that, it doesn't seem to be a very demanding job...I remember reading a thread in QCS years ago where one of the mods commented that AI and CA generated the least drama and fewest reports of any of the regular forums. We're just all a bunch of friendly chill dudes I guess.

I rarely venture elsewhere on SA. Occasionally I'll see y'all in kitty jail or in that disgusting deathbed status (God knows what brings that on). I'll check the offense and 99 times out of 100 it's from activities in SA's more warped alleyways. I don't know what there is to be found there, beyond a lattice of inside jokes that will eventually drive you insane.

Two wheels good. That's really all you have to know.

Marv Hushman fucked around with this message at 00:28 on Jul 13, 2012

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

Proof

Day Man posted:

The routing of the current one doesn't seem very complicated, so I'm not too worried. I have the repair manual to double check the routing, too. Thanks guys!

Protip: wire-tie/tape one end of the old cable to the new one and pull the old one through. The new one will get routed through the same path the old one was.
No removal of anything, no dropping poo poo, etc...

You're welcome.

Day Man
Jul 30, 2007

Champion of the Sun!

for everyone!

Z3n posted:

OEM replacement is best, and the easiest way to change it is to zip tie the new one to the old one and just drag it through.

GnarlyCharlie4u posted:

Protip: wire-tie/tape one end of the old cable to the new one and pull the old one through. The new one will get routed through the same path the old one was.
No removal of anything, no dropping poo poo, etc...

You're welcome.

Thanks for the tip! I'll be sure to do that. Sounds like this'll be really quick and easy once the part shows up.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Marv Hushman posted:

Two wheels good. That's really all you have to know.

To be the most true to the source material, I'd use "four wheels good, two wheels better!"

echomadman
Aug 24, 2004

Nap Ghost

Sagebrush posted:

To be the most true to the source material, I'd use "four wheels good, two wheels better!"

Ducatistas would say that all bikes are equal, but some are more equal than others

Armyman25
Sep 6, 2005
So, I tried to schedule a test ride of a new Victory for tomorrow and was told that they need more than one day's notice for a test ride, and that they'd have to have someone go with me.

Is this normal for a motorcycle dealer? I mean, I'm leaving my car or bike there while I'd take the test ride, are they that worried about me riding off with it? It's really weird to me because most dealers I've been to are usually falling over themselves to let you take a test ride of a bike, or at least it seems that way.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

Armyman25 posted:

So, I tried to schedule a test ride of a new Victory for tomorrow and was told that they need more than one day's notice for a test ride, and that they'd have to have someone go with me.

Is this normal for a motorcycle dealer? I mean, I'm leaving my car or bike there while I'd take the test ride, are they that worried about me riding off with it? It's really weird to me because most dealers I've been to are usually falling over themselves to let you take a test ride of a bike, or at least it seems that way.

Yeah, when I went on a test ride of the zero motorcycle with a friend, they made some poor dealership peon follow us, despite me us arriving on a KTM 690 SMC and a BMW R1200ST. Poor dealership guy was on a cruiser with bald tires, so we waited for him at the top of the local twisty road.

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

Proof

Z3n posted:

Yeah, when I went on a test ride of the zero motorcycle with a friend, they made some poor dealership peon follow us, despite me us arriving on a KTM 690 SMC and a BMW R1200ST. Poor dealership guy was on a cruiser with bald tires, so we waited for him at the top of the local twisty road.

WHAT??
I've always just been told "point at one and we'll throw you the keys, come back some time before we close."

Armyman25
Sep 6, 2005
The greater than one day notice thing bugs me too. Like how hard is it to wheel the bike outside?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bloody Queef
Mar 23, 2012

by zen death robot

GnarlyCharlie4u posted:

WHAT??
I've always just been told "point at one and we'll throw you the keys, come back some time before we close."

Do you have a relationship with the dealership? Because I once called up a Kawi Dealer and was interested in riding a Versys and the guy on the phone told me they didn't do test rides on new bikes....ever. To go to a demo day. Needless to say I laughed him off the phone before he had a chance to laugh me off the phone.

My father-in-law, however, has a long standing relationship with a Honda dealer near him and they call him when new models come in to come and drive one. And he's never bought a new bike his entire life, so he's not some high roller cash cow.