Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
BadLlama
Jan 13, 2006

Corrode posted:

Their new book is my pick for best book in 6th. Whether it stays that way depends how the edition plays out but currently they can field an incredibly balanced army where every unit has a worthwhile application in nearly any situation, which is rare to say the least.

Alright you guys sold me I will probably pick them as my secondary army. Wonder how much $ I can get from my Sisters models.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bhsman
Feb 10, 2008

by exmarx

Bavius posted:

Why not Space Wolves? Nothing really fundie about them. They're Vikings, and they hate the Ecclisiarchy as well as being good guys. They're just more wild.

This is the correctest answer.

How is Chrome not underlining 'correctest' with angry red squiggles?

Infinite Karma
Oct 23, 2004
Good as dead

Wildey posted:

I just wanted space marines that aren't crazy space fundies. :negative:
I'm late to the party, but play Chaos Marines. :ninja:

Hell, counts-as them with a loyalist codex if you want, but they are getting their own codex soon and will probably be kickass with an update.

bhsman
Feb 10, 2008

by exmarx

Infinite Karma posted:

Hell, counts-as them with a loyalist codex if you want, but they are getting their own codex soon and will probably be kickass with an update.

You could say that some CSM are just as fundamentalist as the Imperium, though. :v:

If Know No Fear is anything to go by, though, Ultramarines are top-shelf 'Reasonable Marines'.

Naramyth
Jan 22, 2009

Australia cares about cunts. Including this one.

Infinite Karma posted:

Loyalist count as is exactly what I am doing. Chaos models look cooler and are way more fun to paint then loyalist models.

Infinite Karma
Oct 23, 2004
Good as dead

Naramyth posted:

Loyalist count as is exactly what I am doing. Chaos models look cooler and are way more fun to paint then loyalist models.

I wish I could model an entire army with Possessed and Chaos Termy Lords.

my kinda ape
Sep 15, 2008

Everything's gonna be A-OK
Oven Wrangler

Wildey posted:

shiiiiiit guys don't tell me that. I'm halfway through painting like $300 worth of tyranids. I just wanted a second army that isn't so crippled in the gameplay aspect but still appealed to me in lore and model variety.

Seriously unless you're playing against people who are both really good and using really good lists then Tyranids are fine. Since that pretty much doesn't happen outside of tournaments(and even then...) you really don't need to worry that much. How much have you even played?

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon
Iron Warriors are pretty reasonable. Just open the gates and let us in, and there won't be any problems.

Wildey
Nov 9, 2009

ghetto wormhole posted:

Seriously unless you're playing against people who are both really good and using really good lists then Tyranids are fine. Since that pretty much doesn't happen outside of tournaments(and even then...) you really don't need to worry that much. How much have you even played?

Admittedly not much. I've played a few AoBR games and that's what got my buying nid stuff, mostly via ebay. I don't actually have a tyranid army together yet, but good god I am enjoying the build and paint process. I'm doing the varnish dipping method and so far I'm loving the way it looks. But anyway, I got a pretty sizable blood angel army the other day for like $60, its maybe 800+ points of them. Thinking about combining it with whatever marines are in the new starter pack for 6th and having a second army to lean on in case tyranid self pity is as rich as it keeps sounding.

mmj
Dec 22, 2006

I've always been a bit confrontational
I like the idea of chaos space marine models using C:SM. They aren't actually chaos, they've been pulling the long con! For 10,000 years. It's a really long con

moths
Aug 25, 2004

I would also still appreciate some danger.

mmj posted:

I like the idea of the Alpha Legion.

WhiskeyJuvenile
Feb 15, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo
So seriously, someone school me on Necrons. I have absolutely no idea what's good (other than doom scythes and the CCB of course) any more. 10 immortals in night scythes? 10 warriors in ghost arks? 20 warriors outside of ghost arks? Is there anything in Elite even worth taking? Are Doomsday arks better with the change to blast vs. vehicles? Annihilation barges as (cheaper than doom scythe) anti-light-vehicle autocannon platforms?

e: I guess Triarch Stalkers are still good? Possibly Lychguard if you can run hyperphase swords as power axes?

e2: Now that Rod of the Covenant is a power axe, why would you ever run Praetorians when Lychguard have an extra attack and a 4++ save for 5 points more a model?

WhiskeyJuvenile fucked around with this message at 22:06 on Jul 13, 2012

BadLlama
Jan 13, 2006

Baruch Obamawitz posted:

So seriously, someone school me on Necrons. I have absolutely no idea what's good (other than doom scythes and the CCB of course) any more. 10 immortals in night scythes? 10 warriors in ghost arks? 20 warriors outside of ghost arks? Is there anything in Elite even worth taking? Are Doomsday arks better with the change to blast vs. vehicles? Annihilation barges as (cheaper than doom scythe) anti-light-vehicle autocannon platforms?

I have decided recently to build a necron army and I am going for Immortals in sycthes as my primary forces. Maybe a squad of warriors for marching the field. I don't know if this is a good idea or not but I am curious just like Baruch Obamawitz on what some good Necron builds are. Wish Deathmarks were worth it they look cool as hell.

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon
My buddy loves Necrons and has a nasty force featuring Tesla Immortals on Night Scythes, a Necron Lord on Command Barge, tons of Wraiths, and Annihilation Barges.

Phyresis
Nov 2, 2004

I can't sleep, I hope I stay awake

Cause I've been running, running, running all day

Long nights, no peace

I feel like everybody's eyes on me
There's no real reason to put anything other than 5 Warriors in a Night Scythe. The idea is to zoom around in them and deposit the Warriors onto objectives as late in the game as you can. If you are stopping your Night Scythes to drop off dudes in the middle of the battle, both they and the unit are going to die. If you are spending points on bigger units in them, they aren't doing anything for a large percentage of the game. The core of the army should still be an iron curtain, or perhaps blob-based.

Infinite Karma
Oct 23, 2004
Good as dead

That's not the idea, 5 warriors are too fragile to hold anything on their own, and their gauss guns are good. You probably shouldn't drop them off turn 2, but 10-15 man squads are good, and invasion beams are like super deep strike, so take advantage of dropping a massive number of shots when you land.

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

Naramyth posted:

Or just paint them up however you want and makeup whatever bullshit you want. It doesn't matter.

This is what I do, basically.

Half the fun is making up dumb poo poo to try and have weird things make sense, and then realizing that GW has been doing that for thirty or so years.

Phyresis
Nov 2, 2004

Long nights, no peace

Infinite Karma posted:

That's not the idea, 5 warriors are too fragile to hold anything on their own, and their gauss guns are good. You probably shouldn't drop them off turn 2, but 10-15 man squads are good, and invasion beams are like super deep strike, so take advantage of dropping a massive number of shots when you land.

The Night Scythes are toast as soon as that happens. It's better to keep the flyers cheap with a little added scoring potential and to use the points to bolster your main ground force than to split the points up into high-risk packages. The Warriors in the Scythes are not your main scoring method, they are there as a late game points grab option. While having your guys walk on the board from Reserve is preferable to them all dying in the air, it's far from the ideal scenario. Necrons are pretty elite and have to pay a lot of points just to get sufficient armor saturation and wounds on the table.

A flyer-heavy Necron list is too risky. You need a solid ground force, the flyers are support.

Infinite Karma
Oct 23, 2004
Good as dead

Agree on the last point, Ghost Arks are a vital part if the plan too, but the 65 points for 5, more warriors is more worth it than most other things you can spend the points on. Why would the night scythes die after dropping off their payload? They never stop zooming.

sexart
Jan 5, 2001

Damn...I know alotta big words

Wildey posted:

shiiiiiit guys don't tell me that. I'm halfway through painting like $300 worth of tyranids. I just wanted a second army that isn't so crippled in the gameplay aspect but still appealed to me in lore and model variety.

I'm here with you, I just started this game so I am about $300-400 in with rulebooks and Tyranids. Enjoying painting them so far, just finishing up my first box of genestealers and termagants.

I was looking online at prices, and as much as I love the FLGS and owner online prices are just so much better. He charges GW prices and its hard to justify after a bit of research.

In comparing prices for:
1x Tyranid Battleforce (might just get a box of warriors and termagants instead, but here for comparing prices sake)
1x Tervigon
1x Dark Eldar Battleforce (only 40k army that appeals to the girlfriend)

Games Workshop Online/FLGS (no shipping on local/any orders over $75)
$394.65

Miniwargaming ($7.99 shipping flat in Canada)
$364.22

Great Canadian Miniatures ($15 + 3% total order before tax)
$277.06

All with tax and shipping included there. Only thing is, GCM's website is pretty barebones and looks suspect. Any googling just brings up forum posts from 2009 that aren't any help. And even back then, people complained about the wait for shipping... but if its gonna save me $100+ then I'll wait a month or two. Anyone use them in Canada?

Sole.Sushi
Feb 19, 2008

Seaweed!? Get the fuck out!

bhsman posted:

This is the correctest answer.

Play Space Wolves. Go on. Do it.

If you can manage to survive your first encounter with a fat, greasy Warhambeast going on about "pups" and "the Fang" and "I have real viking blood in me" and "my fursona has always been a wolf, so this army is perfect," then congratulations, you've earned the right to play Space Wolves.

And also to cry out of fear. No one will think less of you if you do.

Phyresis
Nov 2, 2004

Long nights, no peace

Infinite Karma posted:

Agree on the last point, Ghost Arks are a vital part if the plan too, but the 65 points for 5, more warriors is more worth it than most other things you can spend the points on.

If you can get all of the necessary core first, sure, but that's hard at the lower points levels. It's 65 per scythe, 2 already puts you at +130 which is almost a solid unit, and one and a half Annihilation Barges. 3 units worth gets you a whole nother Night Scythe with Warriors.

Infinite Karma posted:

Why would the night scythes die after dropping off their payload? They never stop zooming.

The problem is that Necrons don't have any reserves manipulation that I'm aware of, so the Scythes can end up coming in piecemeal, especially if your opponent can gently caress with your reserves rolls. It's possible to pick up Grey Knights allies to get Psychic Communion but I think the list works better the other way around, bringing CCB, 2 NS, DS into a GK list.

e: Comedy option: Orikan the Diviner.

Phyresis fucked around with this message at 23:21 on Jul 13, 2012

Fix
Jul 26, 2005

NEWT THE MOON

Orikan the Diviner is a man's man and the champion of the universe.

Bavius
Jun 4, 2010

Smurfs don't lay eggs! I won't tell you this again! Papa Smurf has a fucking beard! They're mammals!

Sole.Sushi posted:

Play Space Wolves. Go on. Do it.

If you can manage to survive your first encounter with a fat, greasy Warhambeast going on about "pups" and "the Fang" and "I have real viking blood in me" and "my fursona has always been a wolf, so this army is perfect," then congratulations, you've earned the right to play Space Wolves.

And also to cry out of fear. No one will think less of you if you do.

I've yet to meet this hambeast, does that mean I'm the hambeast? :smith:

Sole.Sushi
Feb 19, 2008

Bavius posted:

I've yet to meet this hambeast, does that mean I'm the hambeast? :smith:

Think of your wardrobe: are you wearing a Three-Wolf-Moon t-shirt and/or possess such a shirt, even ironically?

If yes, you are this hambeast.

If no, then you are safe. For now.

PierreTheMime
Dec 9, 2004

Hero of hormagaunts everywhere!
Buglord
The other Reserve manipulation that hasn't really been toyed with much (but I might) is a Reserve-heavy army that plays off of the enemy using Zandrehk's Phased reinforcements. Anytime an opponent brings anything onto the table from Reserve you get to Deep Strike models in on their turn. Sure, you take a couple hits, but then you have a unit or more that get to fully act on your turn.

In a big game I'm really tempted to take Zandrekh, Imotehk, and multiple units of 20 Flayed Ones. Mark a unit in the back, turn two rolls around and they have a couple flyers enter--40 Flayed Ones stand less than 6" away.

CyberLord XP
Oct 18, 2005

Goldie...She says her name is Goldie

Just got these to little lovelies off of bartertown, but I have a question. On the first one this guy obviously just put regular dread arms on a contemptor, but what is with the shoulder pads on the second? Is it just a different kind?

Icon Of Sin
Dec 26, 2008

Sole.Sushi posted:

Think of your wardrobe: are you wearing a Three-Wolf-Moon t-shirt and/or possess such a shirt, even ironically?

If yes, you are this hambeast.

If no, then you are safe. For now.

We have a guy in the local group here creating a space marine army called "fluttershy-guys" and painted to match that drat cartoon horse and shy-guy masks :gonk:

On another note, I'm running a 2k list of eldar/dark eldar in a small tournament this weekend. DE are heavy on speed (2 raiders full of warriors, a ravager, and a razorwing counting as a void raven), and Eldar are more focused toward close-range shooting and objective holding, and all foot slogging. I'm still relatively new to the game again (used to play daemonhunters back in college, years ago :corsair: ), so I'll try and get a list or two from an opponent tonight and post mine as well. Not a full battle report, more like an executive summary and maybe a picture of the board at deployment.

e: Here's my list for tonight/tomorrow:

Total: 155

Farseer: 55
Runes of Warding: 15
Runes of Witnessing: 10
Guide: 20
Fortune: 30
Spirit stones: 20

Total: 150

2 squads/Dire Avengers: 240
Exarchs: +24
Bladestorm: +30

Total: 294

Shining Spears (4): 150
Exarch: +12
Skilled rider: +10
Star Lance: 15

Total: 187

Dark Reapers: 175
Exarch: +12
Fast shot: +10

Total: 197

Fire Prism: 115
Holo fields: 35
Spirit stones: 10
Shuriken cannon: 10

Total: 170

Allied detachment: Dark Eldar (battle brothers)

Archon: 60
Venom blade: 5
Shadowfield: 30
Combat drugs: 10
Soultrap: 10
Haywire grenades: 10

Total: 135

Kabalite Warriors (10x2 squads): 180
2 splinter cannon: 20

Total: 200

Raiders: dedicated transport) x2: 120
Splinter racks: 20
Night shields: 20
Flicker field: 20

Total: 180

Void Raven: 145
4 shatterfield missiles: 40
Night shields: 10
Flickerfield: 10

Total: 205

Ravager: 105
Night shield: 10
Flickerfield: 10

Total: 125

Total for list: 1998

Thoughts/comments?

Icon Of Sin fucked around with this message at 01:09 on Jul 14, 2012

FrickenMoron
May 6, 2009

Good game!

CyberLord XP posted:

Just got these to little lovelies off of bartertown, but I have a question. On the first one this guy obviously just put regular dread arms on a contemptor, but what is with the shoulder pads on the second? Is it just a different kind?

Those paintjobs.
Why. :negative:
And I have no idea what the pads are from, but they're not from any dread kit really.

The Saddest Robot
Apr 17, 2007
I think I've seen those shoulderpads on chapterhouse or something. They are supposed to be some ancient pre-heresy style terminator shoulders.

Looked it up, these things?

http://chapterhousestudios.com/index.php?route=product/product&path=85_86_88&product_id=233

They're not an exact match, but I think they're supposed to be the same thing.

Also, those poor contemptors.

bhsman
Feb 10, 2008

by exmarx

Sole.Sushi posted:

"I have real viking blood in me"

I actually am 25% Norwegian FWIW :smugdog:

Fuegan
Aug 23, 2008

I really hope those Contemptors are swimming in Simple Green by now :ohdear:

PeterWeller
Apr 21, 2003

I told you that story so I could tell you this one.

Baruch Obamawitz posted:

e2: Now that Rod of the Covenant is a power axe, why would you ever run Praetorians when Lychguard have an extra attack and a 4++ save for 5 points more a model?

Because Lychguard don't have fearless and aren't jump infantry. They're really not interchangeable units despite being made by the same kit and having roughly the same profile.

CrotchPheasant
Jun 7, 2004

nobody important

FrickenMoron posted:

And I have no idea what the pads are from, but they're not from any dread kit really.

Pretty sure they're from one of the puppetswar dread weapon kits...

Sole.Sushi
Feb 19, 2008

^^^^
Goddamn you! :argh:

CyberLord XP posted:

Puppetswar.com was making autocannons and stuff for walkers across all ranges for a while before GW got around to it. There's even one with that CCW you got there.

bhsman posted:

So you admit to being That Guy. :stonk:

Sykic
Feb 9, 2004

Resist! Humanity demands it! Resist!

See, these pictures are great for me because I constantly give myself poo poo for my paint jobs, even when they're good. But these? These I can look at and, without a doubt, say "I can do far better than that."

:feelsgood:

CyberLord XP
Oct 18, 2005

Goldie...She says her name is Goldie

Fuegan posted:

I really hope those Contemptors are swimming in Simple Green by now :ohdear:

Fear not brother, the techpriests of Forgeworld Elkridge are relentless in their mission to bring wayward machines back into the fold.

Kind of annoying about the shoulders, that means I don't have a single pair of actual contemptor shoulders. If I had one II could scratch up a second pair. Would any GW types give a crap about the ones I have there?

Safety Factor
Oct 31, 2009

Grimey Drawer

bhsman posted:

I'm 50% with dual citizenship. And I don't play space wolves.
Your move. :c00lbert:

Der Waffle Mous
Nov 27, 2009

In the grim future, there is only commerce.
Speaking of codex choices based on heritage, I really miss the old Deathwing motif :smith:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nephilm
Jun 11, 2009

by Lowtax

Der Waffle Mous posted:

Speaking of codex choices based on heritage, I really miss the old Deathwing motif :smith:

I don't think homosexuality qualifies as heritage.

• Locked thread