Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Fledgling Gulps
Jul 4, 2007

I'll meet you in Meereen,
we'll grub out.
What Carolla said is true; doctors hate each other, radio hosts hate each other, and loveline fans hate each other.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ez
Mar 26, 2007

Drink! Feck! Arse! Girls!
A true Loveline fan wouldn't try to exploit the show for profit and shut down the websites of fellow fans.

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

A true loveline fan would blahblahblahblahblahblahblahblahblahblahblahblah heyyyyyyyyyyy checking in at CHATswooooorth 62 degrees CHino 62 degrees ClaremoNT 62 degrees COMMERCE 62 degrees news weather weather news every 82 nanoseconds ....

Brice
Jul 23, 2006
Is It Bad to Get Cheese in Open Cuts?
Well why we're at it, a recent episode of GIO featured the ChumbaWamba episode, and it was the first time I heard it. The gibberish carolla pulls a couple breaks after they excuse themselves is the funniest loveline I've heard in recent memory.

eleven extra elephants
Feb 16, 2007

Menschliches! Allzumenschliches!!

Brice posted:

Well why we're at it, a recent episode of GIO featured the ChumbaWamba episode, and it was the first time I heard it. The gibberish carolla pulls a couple breaks after they excuse themselves is the funniest loveline I've heard in recent memory.

Funny you should mention that, Chumbawamba broke up today. Gonna listen to that episode again now.

ChaosMonkey
Jun 28, 2008

FAT WORM OF ERROR posted:

Funny you should mention that, Chumbawamba broke up today. Gonna listen to that episode again now.

I'm loopy from a road trip but I'm sure Adam mentioned them on today's podcast.

It's the Great Magnet, Charlie Brown Adam Carolla.

CatchrNdRy
Mar 15, 2005

Receiver of the Rye.

FCKGW posted:

A true loveline fan would blahblahblahblahblahblahblahblahblahblahblahblah heyyyyyyyyyyy checking in at CHATswooooorth 62 degrees CHino 62 degrees ClaremoNT 62 degrees COMMERCE 62 degrees news weather weather news every 82 nanoseconds ....

Don't make him drop trou! He's crazy, he'll do it!

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

CatchrNdRy posted:

Don't make him drop trou! He's crazy, he'll do it!

Droppin' trrroooooooooooooooooooooouuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuu

Fledgling Gulps
Jul 4, 2007

we'll grub out.

Grand Fromage posted:

Droppin' trrroooooooooooooooooooooouuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuu

Please tell me you've taught that phrase to your Korean students.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

Fledgling Gulps posted:

Please tell me you've taught that phrase to your Korean students.

We're still working on the alphabet. My advanced students have the Vulcan salute and various obsolete 90s slang down, though.

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

Please work in the phrase "The world is your oyster because, ah, that's all that the world is."

Brekelefuw
Dec 16, 2003
I Like Trumpets
How can you teach Korean students and not teach them every Minka drop in existence?

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

You guys have this strange idea that my students are expected to learn things. :v:

Ez
Mar 26, 2007

Drink! Feck! Arse! Girls!
Do they know Tom Vu?

That's my toy!

Jubs
Jul 11, 2006

Boy, I think it's about time I tell you the difference between a man and a woman. A woman isn't a woman unless she's pretty. And a man isn't a man unless he's ugly.
They should know who Minka is. She is royalty.

i am kiss u now
Dec 26, 2005

College Slice
numba waaaan...

Trip report on "Not Taco Bell Material":

I'm about a quarter of the way through and it's actually a really good read and really dives pretty deep into Adam's personal life and reveals many of the obstacles he faced growing up. So far it's really not much of a repeat of stories told on Loveline as I expected. There are a few bits of information here and there about things he's mentioned but it's actually pretty deep and personal, not something I expected going in it and really not the same sort of "long rant" that the previous book contained. This is definitely feels more like a biography and reads like one as well with its chronological layout. I would highly recommend it to anyone who is a Carolla fan even if you're a long time Loveline listener and think you know all the stories. And yes, the pictures are fantastic.

Quicksand_Jesus
Dec 19, 2005

Lasagna Miracle
Someone earlier mentioned the GIO podcast. Just listened to the most recent episode and holy gently caress.. Sounds like Giovanni is literally a half-sec away from blowing his head off.

I can't say he's a good guy, but the self-pity is downright pathetic. Suicide watch ahoy!

c0ldfuse
Jun 18, 2004

The pursuit of excellence.

FCKGW posted:

Please work in the phrase "The world is your oyster because, ah, that's all that the world is."

Has the origin of that drop ever been found?

EnsGDT
Nov 9, 2004

~boop boop beep motherfucker~

c0ldfuse posted:

According to the guide, the first time it was played was 4/4/2001, so probably sometime around there.

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

c0ldfuse posted:

No, not even Adam to Anderson know for sure.

It's the "That's the beauty of it, it doesn't do anything!" phrase of the Loveline world.

Evil Vin
Jun 14, 2006

♪ Sing everybody "Deutsche Deutsche"
Vaya con dios amigos! ♪

Fallen Rib

Quicksand_Jesus posted:

Someone earlier mentioned the GIO podcast. Just listened to the most recent episode and holy gently caress.. Sounds like Giovanni is literally a half-sec away from blowing his head off.

I can't say he's a good guy, but the self-pity is downright pathetic. Suicide watch ahoy!

I also listened to this episode and boy did he bum me out at the end. Anyone actually know what he's referring to with whole job and family situation? I'm curious but not curious enough to go look through episodes to piece together his life story. Also holy poo poo some of these episodes are like 8 hours long, does he just put episodes together throw in something depressing at the end and call it a day?

Hormones
May 9, 2009
Does anyone know where one could download episodes post-Adam? There are a few bands/guests here and there I'd be interested in hearing. Particularly Psycho Mike era but some Stryker (unfortunately) as well.

CatfishClyde
Jul 22, 2001
Orange Rhyming Dictionary

Evil Vin posted:

I also listened to this episode and boy did he bum me out at the end. Anyone actually know what he's referring to with whole job and family situation? I'm curious but not curious enough to go look through episodes to piece together his life story. Also holy poo poo some of these episodes are like 8 hours long, does he just put episodes together throw in something depressing at the end and call it a day?

Pretty much. Some episodes, particularly the ones about a specific band, will include full songs from that band in between episodes or segments, padding out the episode. Gio also tends to tack on an unnecessarily long and dull interview at the end. Sometimes it's someone of note from the "Carolla universe," such as Anderson, Lynette, or even Adam himself. Sometimes it's just another Carolla boards forum poster. I tend to turn them off at that point.

CatchrNdRy
Mar 15, 2005

Receiver of the Rye.

Hormones posted:

Does anyone know where one could download episodes post-Adam? There are a few bands/guests here and there I'd be interested in hearing. Particularly Psycho Mike era but some Stryker (unfortunately) as well.

Well I know giving money to whoever has employed Simone is reprehensible, but the official site is only $5 a month and there are archives all the way from the end of the Stryker era.

Hormones
May 9, 2009

CatchrNdRy posted:

Well I know giving money to whoever has employed Simone is reprehensible, but the official site is only $5 a month and there are archives all the way from the end of the Stryker era.

AGREED, I utterly cannot stand that cow.
But... are those downloadable? Considering it :(

i am kiss u now
Dec 26, 2005

College Slice

Hormones posted:

They were before when I had a membership (pre Simone, I can't stand her or the way they ran that show into the ground). They were just mp3s so no license or anything. I've said it before and I'll say it again. The early Mike stuff and up until September of 2011 is great, much better than Stryker. I used to frequent Mike's "Stinky Pinky" game until a horrible, horrible night with Lisa Lamponelli.

CatchrNdRy
Mar 15, 2005

Receiver of the Rye.

Hormones posted:

yeah you can download them. Its worth it for the 9 months or so of pre-Simone Mike goodness. There is even an extra 11 minutes of pre-show banter between Mike Anderson and Drew per ep.

I am listening to the post-Stryker Drew + guest host shows. Its sort of uneven, sometimes quite disappointing. Drew is way too polite, he really needs Adam to cut through the boring interview Hollywood crap.

toggle
Nov 7, 2005

where's dr drew?

Phlag
Nov 2, 2000

We make a special trip just for you, same low price.

toggle posted:

where's dr drew?
Have you checked the offices at GlaxoSmithKline? He might be trying to get another deal to mislead the public.

(I might still be a little sore about the Wellbutrin thing.)

criscodisco
Feb 18, 2004

do it
Does it ever bother anyone else the way Adam pronounces "lilacs"? Maybe I'm just anal.

Hormones
May 9, 2009

criscodisco posted:

Does it ever bother anyone else the way Adam pronounces "lilacs"? Maybe I'm just anal.

Haha can you give us a reference so we can listen? Or perhaps phonetically type it? I can't say I recall specifically how he says it but there have been things I've heard him say that bother me (particularly 'almonds').

criscodisco
Feb 18, 2004

do it
He pronounces it "lie-locks". I know I've heard it a good handful of times, mostly when he's joking about the odor of genitals.

I know the most recent time I heard it, the guest even called him out on it, and he said to Drew "lie-locks, they're a flower, right?", to which Drew uttered a grunt, and Adam was all "I knew it".

It was one of these two episodes, I'm sure of that:
http://www.lovelinetapes.com/shows/?id=165&h=OGI3NWI0NTY
http://www.lovelinetapes.com/shows/?id=363&h=ZWJjZGNhOWF

Riptor
Apr 13, 2003

here's to feelin' good all the time
I'm ashamed to admit that yes that has bothered me in the past

Fledgling Gulps
Jul 4, 2007

we'll grub out.
Don't call me Tara goddammit.

ninjoatse.cx
Apr 9, 2005

Fun Shoe
Now that I've started thinking about it, I can't even remember how I pronounce lilacs.

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

It's pronounced "Lil' Axe", like the guitarist for Grandmaster Flash.

Harminoff
Oct 24, 2005

👽
I pronounce it Lie Lacks. Is that right?

Hormones
May 9, 2009
I have never, in my life, heard anyone say anything other than 'lie locks'.

ninjoatse.cx
Apr 9, 2005

Fun Shoe
There are multiple pronunciations of it, it seems. http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/lilac?s=t

lie-lahk is correct.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RightClickSaveAs
Mar 1, 2001

Tiny animals under glass... Smaller than sand...

You can't articur...late, can't articulate yourself any better than that?

• Locked thread