Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

Sereri posted:

Maybe now the remaining ~5% Pre-Froyo will finally die.
6.1% according to the article but I can't imagine why any dev would cater to someone unwilling to upgrade devices to something more current than anything running Eclair. Froyo came out over two years ago so it's not like they're still under contract.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sereri
Sep 30, 2008

awwwrigami

LastInLine posted:

6.1% according to the article but I can't imagine why any dev would cater to someone unwilling to upgrade devices to something more current than anything running Eclair. Froyo came out over two years ago so it's not like they're still under contract.

5.4% according to google with new data out probably on Monday.

vvv Gave it another look, they're using the data from over a month ago. Nice to see that there is a trend.

Sereri fucked around with this message at 08:44 on Jul 13, 2012

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

Sereri posted:

5.4% according to google with new data out probably on Monday.
Hmm, maybe the article was saying that's the percentage of Facebook users on pre-Froyo?

chocolateTHUNDER
Jul 19, 2008

GIVE ME ALL YOUR FREE AGENTS

ALL OF THEM
I love when people bitch about the facebook app because for the past 2 years it's honestly worked great for me.

I must be the luckiest person in the world!

berzerker
Aug 18, 2004
"If I could not go to heaven but with a party, I would not go there at all."

chocolateTHUNDER posted:

I love when people bitch about the facebook app because for the past 2 years it's honestly worked great for me.

I must be the luckiest person in the world!

I rarely have problems, I just hate facebook as a company and can't wait until they go the way of AOL. So when they do things like switch everyone's listed email to @facebook.com and then you have your phone set to sync to your facebook account (which obviously is my fault, but shouldn't be a problem) and have that dumb address in every contact now, it really pisses me off.

MeatRocket8
Aug 3, 2011

I'm messing around with my first android phone and I am clueless so far with this platform.

Do I really need a drat virus scanner running on my phone? I want to uninstall the one it came with, to hopefully improve battery life and performance.

I have the Samsung Exhibit II 4G, and the app in question is Lookout Anti-Virus.

Kinda sucks how I can't uninstall the apps it came with, like Bejeweled 2.

I see some promise here though.

butt dickus
Jul 7, 2007

top ten juiced up coaches
and the top ten juiced up players

ChocNitty posted:

I'm messing around with my first android phone and I am clueless so far with this platform.

Do I really need a drat virus scanner running on my phone? I want to uninstall the one it came with, to hopefully improve battery life and performance.

I have the Samsung Exhibit II 4G, and the app in question is Lookout Anti-Virus.

Kinda sucks how I can't uninstall the apps it came with, like Bejeweled 2.

I see some promise here though.

The phone thread is here. They will probably tell you to return that phone.

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

...the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt. —Bertrand Russell

I'm looking for a mileage tracking app. What I'm specifically interested in is an app that makes it super-painless to start and stop mileage tracking.

Anyone have anything they like? I've looked at aCar, which is nice, just seeing if there's anything else that people like.

Maker Of Shoes
Sep 4, 2006

AWWWW YISSSSSSSSSS
DIS IS MAH JAM!!!!!!

Thermopyle posted:

I'm looking for a mileage tracking app. What I'm specifically interested in is an app that makes it super-painless to start and stop mileage tracking.

Anyone have anything they like? I've looked at aCar, which is nice, just seeing if there's anything else that people like.

Free, Evan Charlton (all around good guy) but all it does is mileage.

https://play.google.com/store/apps/...24ubWlsZWFnZSJd

Use aCar if you want to track literally everything that has to do with car expenditures.

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

...the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt. —Bertrand Russell

Maker Of Shoes posted:

Free, Evan Charlton (all around good guy) but all it does is mileage.

https://play.google.com/store/apps/...24ubWlsZWFnZSJd

Use aCar if you want to track literally everything that has to do with car expenditures.

Oops, I meant trip mileage tracking for business expenses. Like "I drove 8329 miles for business trips last year."

Though, now that I've started playing around with aCar, I may just stick with it. I'm a sucker for tracking historical data about stuff.

Maker Of Shoes
Sep 4, 2006

AWWWW YISSSSSSSSSS
DIS IS MAH JAM!!!!!!

Thermopyle posted:

Oops, I meant trip mileage tracking for business expenses. Like "I drove 8329 miles for business trips last year."

Though, now that I've started playing around with aCar, I may just stick with it. I'm a sucker for tracking historical data about stuff.

aCar can break down mileage between personal and business. It's a great app. I couldn't recommend it when the unlocker wasn't on the Play Store and the app was SUPER picky about phone ID's but now that the unlocker is official it's the bee's knees.

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?
Is it just me, or does the new SwiftKey really strongly weight the first letter you type? For instance, if I try to type "come," but accidentally hit the x first, it'll let me type out "xome" and be perfectly happy about it. SwiftKey X didn't seem to do this.

DemonMage
Oct 14, 2004

What happens in the course of duty is up to you...
Go into Swiftkey's settings and Languages and make sure that you have the latest updated version of your language pack, it can cause issues like that if something is wrong with the pack on your install.

brc64
Mar 21, 2008

I wear my sunglasses at night.
I've been using aCar since I bought my new car about a year ago. I don't use some of the features, but seeing my mileage info tracked over the course of a year is pretty neat. It also helps me keep track of my oil changes and such.

deong
Jun 13, 2001

I'll see you in heck!
Finally got my JB update on the gnex :woop:

Has anyone compared Google Sound Search (I only notice it from a widget) compared to SoundHound and Shazam? What's the best music finding app out there?

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?

DemonMage posted:

Go into Swiftkey's settings and Languages and make sure that you have the latest updated version of your language pack, it can cause issues like that if something is wrong with the pack on your install.

Just checked and I did have an update, but it didn't seem to change any behavior.

uapyro
Jan 13, 2005

brc64 posted:

I've been using aCar since I bought my new car about a year ago. I don't use some of the features, but seeing my mileage info tracked over the course of a year is pretty neat. It also helps me keep track of my oil changes and such.

I've had it since about a month after the Evo4G was released. Pretty interesting to see the trends in gas used for trips, and overall price paid over the last 2 years.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Hahha, love how Citrix has gotten defensive about their preinstalled bloatware:

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.citrixonline.android.gotomeeting

**We’re very honored to be featured on select mobile devices. While we think anyone can benefit from GoToMeeting being readily available on the device, we understand that some people may not need it and prefer to remove it. As soon as Ice Cream Sandwich (Android 4.0) is available, you’ll be able to disable preinstalled applications.**

That would be nice if the manufacturers would actually loving release ICS for those those select mobile devices!

Splizwarf
Jun 15, 2007
It's like there's a soup can in front of me!

brc64 posted:

It also helps me keep track of my oil changes and such.

For each of my cars, I put all of the recommended services and date/mileage intervals into aCar, along with notes on all the fluid specifications (like what weight engine oil to get) and the part numbers and brands for common wear items like oil filters and wipers. It takes those intervals and tracks everything, letting you know when poo poo needs done (and you can tell it what kind of notification and when you want them) because it's getting constant mileage and date updates as you use the gas tracker. It's the only time I've ever managed to rotate my tires at the appropriate mileage. :3:

aCar rules, my only complaint is I bought it when it was only available off the Play store and that rear end in a top hat won't grandfather anyone in to the new system, so while newcomers can install it to anything, his original supporters can only run it on one authorized device at a time. If I want it on my tablet I need to de-auth it on my phone and re-auth it on the tablet, ie retarded and impractical. It's the kind of dick move that doesn't inspire me to go buy it for $6.00 again.

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

The full XBMC for Android.

Only source right now, but it sounds like the app should be available shortly.

Maker Of Shoes
Sep 4, 2006

AWWWW YISSSSSSSSSS
DIS IS MAH JAM!!!!!!

Splizwarf posted:

aCar rules, my only complaint is I bought it when it was only available off the Play store and that rear end in a top hat won't grandfather anyone in to the new system, so while newcomers can install it to anything, his original supporters can only run it on one authorized device at a time. If I want it on my tablet I need to de-auth it on my phone and re-auth it on the tablet, ie retarded and impractical. It's the kind of dick move that doesn't inspire me to go buy it for $6.00 again.

My copy was gifted and he wont change the master email address tied to it so every time I change devices (his dumb unpair/pair device process doesn't work) I have to have this long drawn out email thread with him and the person that gifted the app. I'll end up paying the 6 bucks on my next device because I have 2 years of data tied to the app, it does exactly what I want and it's built well. It irritates me but it's 6 bucks soooooo whatever I guess.

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

deong posted:

Finally got my JB update on the gnex :woop:

Has anyone compared Google Sound Search (I only notice it from a widget) compared to SoundHound and Shazam? What's the best music finding app out there?

I don't have JB yet on my Nexus S 4G, but I've used Google Sound Search since it was ported back to ICS from XDA.

I bought SoundHound Infinity back when it was $0.10 and I tested it against Sound Search. Honestly, I'd say SoundHound is better.

Sound Search only seems to work if the song is in the Play Store. If it's not, it won't find it.

SoundHound found it immediately regardless of if it was in a store or not.

When I do get JB, I'll just put SoundHound back on.

Odette
Mar 19, 2011

hooah posted:

Is it just me, or does the new SwiftKey really strongly weight the first letter you type? For instance, if I try to type "come," but accidentally hit the x first, it'll let me type out "xome" and be perfectly happy about it. SwiftKey X didn't seem to do this.

DemonMage posted:

Swiftkey has JUST started doing this, and I'm on the latest language pack. What gives?

Lemons
Jul 18, 2003

Swift key has been sucking since I updated to JB. I looked it up and it appears that a lot of other people are having the same issue, and have reported it to Swiftkey. Hopefully they will patch it soon.

In the meantime, I'm using the stock keyboard. It's not bad, but I miss a few things from Swiftkey, and I wish they would update.

DemonMage
Oct 14, 2004

What happens in the course of duty is up to you...
Yeah I'm still on 2.3.4 until I get my S3 next week. Updating my language pack fixed the issue with ill and im not showing up as I'll and I'm but I can't replicate the xome thing, it shows up as come just fine for me I'm afraid.

Odette
Mar 19, 2011

Lemons posted:

Swift key has been sucking since I updated to JB. I looked it up and it appears that a lot of other people are having the same issue, and have reported it to Swiftkey. Hopefully they will patch it soon.

In the meantime, I'm using the stock keyboard. It's not bad, but I miss a few things from Swiftkey, and I wish they would update.

Oh yeah. Must be JB, that's just weird though. Changes in the API/stock keyboard messing with SwiftKey?

Chilled Milk
Jun 22, 2003

No one here is alone,
satellites in every home
Are there good alternatives to Car Home Ultra? I like the features but it's kinda fugly.

MeKeV
Aug 10, 2010

Thermopyle posted:

The full XBMC for Android.

Only source right now, but it sounds like the app should be available shortly.

This is the best news.

With this and the Nexus 7, maybe it is time for me to get a tablet.

NFX
Jun 2, 2008

Fun Shoe

Odette posted:

Oh yeah. Must be JB, that's just weird though. Changes in the API/stock keyboard messing with SwiftKey?

I have the same problem with SwiftKey on my stock SGS3 (so ICS), and the Danish language pack. I think it's a general SK problem, possible only with the newest version.

asecondduck
Feb 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo
So I found a nice alternative to Widgestoid for notification toggles. It's called Power Controls. Unlike Widgetsoid, it doesn't require you to have an invisible widget on a homescreen, and it looks pretty much like it belongs in stock Jelly Bean:

Now that I've found a nice notification toggle-and Jelly Bean is so awesome-I think I'm going to give up on the whole ROM scene and just roll with rooted stock.

asecondduck fucked around with this message at 13:26 on Jul 14, 2012

big mean giraffe
Dec 13, 2003

Eat Shit and Die

Lipstick Apathy

lelandjs posted:

So I found a nice alternative to Widgestoid for notification toggles. It's called Power Controls. Unlike Widgetsoid, it doesn't require you to have an invisible widget on a homescreen, and it looks pretty much like it belongs in stock Jelly Bean:

Now that I've found a nice notification toggle-and Jelly Bean is so awesome-I think I'm going to give up on the whole ROM scene and just roll with rooted stock.

That looks amazing. I am definitely extremely happy with stock JB, I only miss those toggles, advanced power menu and built in LED settings pretty much from CM. If someone would make a 100% stock ROM that let me chance those things I'd be happy as a pig in poo poo.

Penguissimo
Apr 7, 2007

lelandjs posted:

This is incredible. Is there any way to have an invisible notification icon so there isn't that constant gear in the notification bar?

rolleyes
Nov 16, 2006

Sometimes you have to roll the hard... two?
Is there an app which will allow me to set a custom auto-brightness curve? Currently I find that auto brightness tends to start turning up the display brightness too early indoors while at the same time not turning it up far enough when outside in daylight.

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

rolleyes posted:

Is there an app which will allow me to set a custom auto-brightness curve? Currently I find that auto brightness tends to start turning up the display brightness too early indoors while at the same time not turning it up far enough when outside in daylight.
You can manually manage it, or use CM9 which allows you to configure the autobrightness in such granularity that you'll be in hog heaven.

Vagrancy
Oct 15, 2005
Master of procrastination

Penguissimo posted:

This is incredible. Is there any way to have an invisible notification icon so there isn't that constant gear in the notification bar?

Devs have access to a setting for doing that in JB, but enabling makes it so that the notification is sorted at the bottom of the others. FWIW it would be consistently at the bottom, but since that excuse probably won't fly with the notification toggle audience who expect it at the top, the dev may choose not to bother altogether.

Vagrancy fucked around with this message at 18:25 on Jul 14, 2012

rolleyes
Nov 16, 2006

LastInLine posted:

You can manually manage it, or use CM9 which allows you to configure the autobrightness in such granularity that you'll be in hog heaven.

I don't particularly want to get involved in rooting so CM9 is out. I'm surprised it can't be done any other way, is this to do with security restrictions? Could it be accomplished with Tasker, maybe?

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

rolleyes posted:

I don't particularly want to get involved in rooting so CM9 is out. I'm surprised it can't be done any other way, is this to do with security restrictions? Could it be accomplished with Tasker, maybe?
Autobrightness is pretty deep in the system, it's not something an app can just do.

rolleyes
Nov 16, 2006

LastInLine posted:

Autobrightness is pretty deep in the system, it's not something an app can just do.

Hmm. How about if I disabled autobrightness and set up some tasker rules to set the brightness based on the light level sensor reading? Note that I don't have tasker at the moment so if this is a dumb questions then sorry, I'm kinda guessing at what it can do.

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

rolleyes posted:

Hmm. How about if I disabled autobrightness and set up some tasker rules to set the brightness based on the light level sensor reading? Note that I don't have tasker at the moment so if this is a dumb questions then sorry, I'm kinda guessing at what it can do.
I'll admit to having no idea what Tasker can do. Ask in the thread for it, maybe?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gyshall
Feb 24, 2009

Had a couple of drinks.
Saw a couple of things.

lelandjs posted:

So I found a nice alternative to Widgestoid for notification toggles. It's called [url= Controls[/url]. Unlike Widgetsoid, it doesn't require you to have an invisible widget on a homescreen, and it looks pretty much like it belongs in stock Jelly Bean:
[timg][/timg]

Thank you, this is perfect.

• Locked thread