Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bob A Feet
Aug 10, 2005
Dear diary, I got another erection today at work. SO embarrassing, but kinda hot. The CO asked me to fix up his dress uniform. I had stayed late at work to move his badges 1/8" to the left and pointed it out this morning. 1SG spanked me while the CO watched, once they caught it. Tomorrow I get to start all over again...

big mean giraffe posted:

reboot options

You loving said it. That is the first thing I always notice on a rooted stock ROM that makes me want to go to an AOSP rom.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Aatrek
Jul 19, 2004

by Fistgrrl

big mean giraffe posted:

Widgetsoid does this too, and it's free, but it works like poo poo compared to a real solution.

I don't know, Widgetsoid has always been pretty awesome for me, since I can customize the look of the toggles with color, text, dividers, etc.

anakha
Sep 16, 2009

Aatrek posted:

I don't know, Widgetsoid has always been pretty awesome for me, since I can customize the look of the toggles with color, text, dividers, etc.

Not to mention how well it fits in visually with the new JB notification screen.

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

anakha posted:

Not to mention how well it fits in visually with the new JB notification screen.
That's why I like it, it looks better than the inbuilt CM9 ones--quite a bit better to my eye.

FAN OF NICKELBACK
Apr 9, 2002
This thread makes me question how badly I really want to hang onto unlimited data with Verizon.

Is there anything like the Droid X 2nd Init (froyo) for the Droid Razr GB/ICS? I can't find anything, and I really miss CM.

highme
May 25, 2001

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

I quit paying attention to the Verizon thread, but up until recently you could renew your unlimited contract to any LTE phone without losing the unlimited part.

FAN OF NICKELBACK
Apr 9, 2002
I am fully aware that I can eat all the poo poo I want.

ProjektorBoy
Jun 18, 2002

I FUCK LINEN IN MY SPARE TIME!
Grimey Drawer

FAN OF NICKELBACK posted:

This thread makes me question how badly I really want to hang onto unlimited data with Verizon.

Is there anything like the Droid X 2nd Init (froyo) for the Droid Razr GB/ICS? I can't find anything, and I really miss CM.

Yes, the Razr has a bootstrapper that works a whole hell of a lot nicer than the old Droid X ones. It's called Safestrap

http://www.droidhive.com/forums/index.php?/files/file/64-razr-safestrap-for-motoics-cdma-only/

It forces the phone to boot into this little screen where you have 10 seconds to press Menu to invoke recovery if you need it. You can make Nandroids, do the requisite wipes, etc.

highme
May 25, 2001

FAN OF NICKELBACK posted:

I am fully aware that I can eat all the poo poo I want.

That's cool and all, but what?

kitten smoothie
Dec 29, 2001

highme posted:

I quit paying attention to the Verizon thread, but up until recently you could renew your unlimited contract to any LTE phone without losing the unlimited part.

As of 2 weeks ago you must now pay full price for your device and not reup your contract, or you get slapped down to a tiered plan.

highme
May 25, 2001

Yeah, I just read about that. My wife got burned putting off buying a new phone.

Hulk Krogan
Mar 25, 2005

I'm sure I'm missing something incredibly, stupendously obvious, but how do you get ROMs onto your phone if there's no SD card? I just unlocked/rooted my VZW Galaxy Nexus and I can't figure it out, as there's no way to just drag the file over from my computer to the phone while it's plugged in. I tried emailing it to myself as an attachment and grabbing it off drop box, but since I don't have a program to open .img files, the phone won't let me download it.

Hulk Krogan fucked around with this message at 17:57 on Jul 13, 2012

ExcessBLarg!
Sep 1, 2001

Drifter287 posted:

I'm sure I'm missing something incredibly, stupendously obvious, but how do you get ROMs onto your phone if there's no SD card?
There's on board storage. The difference with the Galaxy Nexus is that the storage is no longer UMS mountable.

The standard protocol that folks use is MTP, although I'm not sure how to do drag-n-drop with it in Windows. You can also use "adb push" but that requires the command line which is complicated for some folks. There's also any of a plethora of file managers that can do cool things like collect to a Windows share.

dedian
Sep 2, 2011
Make sure the windows drivers (or whatever OS you're using) are installed and connect to your computer, drag and drop and reboot. You can also do the same while in fastboot, I believe.

Tunga
May 7, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Note that the phone must be unlocked in order for it to show up in Windows.

Edit: Unlocked as in lock screen.

Gyshall
Feb 24, 2009

Had a couple of drinks.
Saw a couple of things.
That isn't true. I plug mine in on the lock screen all the time and it mounts without issue.

You just need the appropriate windows drivers. For the Galaxy Nexus on Verizon:

http://www.samsung.com/us/support/owners/product/SCH-I515MSAVZW

In other news, Bugless Beast 4.1.1 is getting nightly updates so far, and so far so good. I just need notification toggles and a better reboot menu, and all will be well in the universe.

BoyBlunder
Sep 17, 2008

Gyshall posted:

That isn't true. I plug mine in on the lock screen all the time and it mounts without issue.

You just need the appropriate windows drivers. For the Galaxy Nexus on Verizon:

http://www.samsung.com/us/support/owners/product/SCH-I515MSAVZW

In other news, Bugless Beast 4.1.1 is getting nightly updates so far, and so far so good. I just need notification toggles and a better reboot menu, and all will be well in the universe.

He (Peter Alfonso) posted on Twitter that a reboot menu will be in the next release, alongside a better kernel.

Gyshall
Feb 24, 2009

Had a couple of drinks.
Saw a couple of things.
Cool. Do you have his Twitter handle off-hand? I'm not sure what could make it any better (kernel wise) since it is already so loving fast.

ZShakespeare
Jul 20, 2003

The devil can cite Scripture for his purpose!
It's ridiculous that HTC releases a low spec Desire C which, in theory, runs ICS alright while the Desire Z can barely run ICS with more than one app open at a time with it's hacked together rom. I'm assuming at this point that there is no CM9+ development for the Vision due to the lack of drivers.

rotaryfun
Jun 30, 2008

you can be my wingman anytime

Gyshall posted:

Cool. Do you have his Twitter handle off-hand? I'm not sure what could make it any better (kernel wise) since it is already so loving fast.

@peteralfonso

I'm still running his first release. I haven't had any issues that have made me want to update.

madkapitolist
Feb 5, 2006
I am trying to install CM9 on my galaxy s3 ATT. I flashed the AOSP kernal from here:

http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=1756776

deleted data+cache from clockwork and tried to flash

cm-9-20120713-NIGHTLY-d2att.zip from get.cm

However I am getting a status 7 installation aborted error, it is saying I have the wrong build?

edit: how can I tell what is sucking my battery when battery monitor says the top consumer is "android os"

madkapitolist fucked around with this message at 22:36 on Jul 13, 2012

grack
Jan 10, 2012

COACH TOTORO SAY REFEREE CAN BANISH WHISTLE TO LAND OF WIND AND GHOSTS!

ExcessBLarg! posted:

There's on board storage. The difference with the Galaxy Nexus is that the storage is no longer UMS mountable.

The standard protocol that folks use is MTP, although I'm not sure how to do drag-n-drop with it in Windows. You can also use "adb push" but that requires the command line which is complicated for some folks. There's also any of a plethora of file managers that can do cool things like collect to a Windows share.

MTP will still throw up a drive letter that you can drag and drop to root.

TheRevolution1
Sep 21, 2011

madkapitolist posted:

I am trying to install CM9 on my galaxy s3 ATT. I flashed the AOSP kernal from here:

http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=1756776

deleted data+cache from clockwork and tried to flash

cm-9-20120713-NIGHTLY-d2att.zip from get.cm

However I am getting a status 7 installation aborted error, it is saying I have the wrong build?

edit: how can I tell what is sucking my battery when battery monitor says the top consumer is "android os"

You don't need to flash that kernel, factory reset->wipe cache->wipe dalvik->flash cm9->flash gapps. Make sure your cm9 download isn't corrupted.

I would just run AOKP anyways. It seems to have less bugs right now. Install procedure is the same.

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747
Is there a way to change JB so that email notifications don't display a huge-rear end preview in your notification shade?

Tunga
May 7, 2004

Grimey Drawer
About the unlock thing on GNex, I believe if you use a pin or password you have to enter that before it will mount in Windows. That's what I meant. Maybe I'm wrong, I use neither.

Dickeye posted:

Is there a way to change JB so that email notifications don't display a huge-rear end preview in your notification shade?

The top notification will always expand if the app supports it. So not really, except by switching to a different email app.

madkapitolist
Feb 5, 2006

TheRevolution1 posted:

You don't need to flash that kernel, factory reset->wipe cache->wipe dalvik->flash cm9->flash gapps. Make sure your cm9 download isn't corrupted.

I would just run AOKP anyways. It seems to have less bugs right now. Install procedure is the same.

I have also tried (on SAMMY) kernel http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=1756776 does this matter? the error is

assert failed : getprop("ro.product.device")=="d2att || getprop(""ro.build.product") == "d2att" E: Error in /sdcard/download/cm-9-20120713-NIGHTLY-d2att.zip
(Status 7)
Installation aborted.

Im pretty sure it is not corrupted as I have downloaded it twice and used different sd cards and also tried it straight from the phone.

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

Tunga posted:

About the unlock thing on GNex, I believe if you use a pin or password you have to enter that before it will mount in Windows. That's what I meant. Maybe I'm wrong, I use neither.

If it's not rooted/USB debug isn't enabled, yes.

grack
Jan 10, 2012

COACH TOTORO SAY REFEREE CAN BANISH WHISTLE TO LAND OF WIND AND GHOSTS!

madkapitolist posted:

I have also tried (on SAMMY) kernel http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=1756776 does this matter? the error is

assert failed : getprop("ro.product.device")=="d2att || getprop(""ro.build.product") == "d2att" E: Error in /sdcard/download/cm-9-20120713-NIGHTLY-d2att.zip
(Status 7)
Installation aborted.

Im pretty sure it is not corrupted as I have downloaded it twice and used different sd cards and also tried it straight from the phone.

Try a different Recovery

Zarkov Cortez
Aug 18, 2007

Alas, our kitten class attack ships were no match for their mighty chairs
Ok, after reading all the praise about Jelly Bean I went and picked up a used Galaxy Nexus. Before adding any of my settings I was just playing around with it and noticed some folders (clockwork and blackmart). Being the curious type I installed clockwork and restored one of his backups...

Anyways I want to ensure that nothing from the previous user remains on the phone before I start using it (I have root access as well). Any suggestions?

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

Zarkov Cortez posted:

Ok, after reading all the praise about Jelly Bean I went and picked up a used Galaxy Nexus. Before adding any of my settings I was just playing around with it and noticed some folders (clockwork and blackmart). Being the curious type I installed clockwork and restored one of his backups...

Anyways I want to ensure that nothing from the previous user remains on the phone before I start using it (I have root access as well). Any suggestions?
Flash it to a stock build. That formats the entire userspace, internal storage included.

That way you'll also be sure to be yakju or takju.

MC Hawking
Apr 27, 2004

by VideoGames
Fun Shoe

ZShakespeare posted:

It's ridiculous that HTC releases a low spec Desire C which, in theory, runs ICS alright while the Desire Z can barely run ICS with more than one app open at a time with it's hacked together rom. I'm assuming at this point that there is no CM9+ development for the Vision due to the lack of drivers.

This is absolutely correct. Mimicry is the current top of the line ICS rom for Vision and it still has some issues. Everything kinda ground to a halt over the past few weeks since everyone is in a holding pattern for the Desire HD drivers which realistically won't be solving every issue out there. At best we'll have graphical glitches fixed and if we're lucky have video recording solved.

TheRevolution1
Sep 21, 2011

madkapitolist posted:

(Status 7)
Installation aborted.

Go back to stock rooted and this time don't flash any kernels before you flash CM9/AOKP.

kitten smoothie
Dec 29, 2001

LastInLine posted:

Flash it to a stock build. That formats the entire userspace, internal storage included.

That way you'll also be sure to be yakju or takju.

And by that, we mean flash the appropriate image from here.

https://developers.google.com/android/nexus/images

ZShakespeare
Jul 20, 2003

Slopehead posted:

This is absolutely correct. Mimicry is the current top of the line ICS rom for Vision and it still has some issues. Everything kinda ground to a halt over the past few weeks since everyone is in a holding pattern for the Desire HD drivers which realistically won't be solving every issue out there. At best we'll have graphical glitches fixed and if we're lucky have video recording solved.

If I'm not mistaken the Desire S has the same soc as the Desire D. Would not that ICS update have provided any of the material we could use?

MC Hawking
Apr 27, 2004

by VideoGames
Fun Shoe
I suppose it could but remember we're talking about XDA here and they may not have thought of that. I'm no developer, just a jaded critic.

kitten smoothie
Dec 29, 2001

Is there any decent clean build of the AOSP 4.1.1 source for the Verizon Galaxy Nexus? It seems that there are a bunch that have been crapped on with a bunch of goofy mods that only XDA could love.

I tried building my own from source, but I goofed up and wound up with something that had working calls & data but no camera and bluetooth. I guess I didn't get the right drivers pulled in and I'm not feeling like spending the time to mess with it any further.

ZShakespeare
Jul 20, 2003

Slopehead posted:

I suppose it could but remember we're talking about XDA here and they may not have thought of that. I'm no developer, just a jaded critic.

Well here's a reason to be more jaded; fresh off the presses.

right arm
Oct 30, 2011

kitten smoothie posted:

Is there any decent clean build of the AOSP 4.1.1 source for the Verizon Galaxy Nexus? It seems that there are a bunch that have been crapped on with a bunch of goofy mods that only XDA could love.

I tried building my own from source, but I goofed up and wound up with something that had working calls & data but no camera and bluetooth. I guess I didn't get the right drivers pulled in and I'm not feeling like spending the time to mess with it any further.

Peter Alfonso has a very good not riced-out Verizon Galaxy Nexus ROM. I can't find any differences between it and stock AOSP 4.1.1.

madkapitolist
Feb 5, 2006

TheRevolution1 posted:

Go back to stock rooted and this time don't flash any kernels before you flash CM9/AOKP.

Thanks buddy, worked flawlessly. Must have been that weird kernel...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Binge
Feb 23, 2001

AOSP JellyBean is just incredible. I cannot believe how smooth everything is. There isn't a moment of hesitation anywhere. This has to the fastest phone in existence right now, I can't even imagine something running smoother or faster than this. (Obviously I mean non-3d stuff).

For the record, I am running JellyBelly 3.4 and Franco Kernel via the Play store app. I know it's technically "riced" out, but this is wonderful.