Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
penismightier
Dec 6, 2005

What the hell, I'll just eat some trash.

forever whatever posted:

Dragnet is on netflix, both the 1950's series and the 1960's series. Old though it might be, the dialogue and acting are awesome. It can be pretty dark but even when it goes into full on camp territory it is highly entertaining...As a child I grew up watching this on Nick at Nite so there's a nostalgia factor to my enjoyment but I highly recommend it to anyone who likes cop shows.

From one of the more infamous (and ridiculous)episodes:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P0zgIzqgxFU

Jack Webb on being a cop (I love this monologue for some reason):
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OW0RAiVuBL8

Dragnet and Wagon Train hold up so well.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fenix down
Jan 12, 2005

penismightier posted:

Dragnet and Wagon Train hold up so well.
Joe has met quite a lot of kids.

Radd McCool
Dec 3, 2005

by Y Kant Ozma Post
I've made a wonderful discovery!

All seasons of Poirot now available - It is a detective program about the charming Hercule Poirot (and his little grey cells) solving crimes. It's like the charm and subtly of Columbo with the (occasional) narcissism of Holmes

P.S. Columbo is also available via Netflix.

matrocious
Feb 7, 2011

Radd McCool posted:

I've made a wonderful discovery!

All seasons of Poirot now available - It is a detective program about the charming Hercule Poirot (and his little grey cells) solving crimes. It's like the charm and subtly of Columbo with the (occasional) narcissism of Holmes

Don't forget that incredible mustache. :swoon:

The Conan the barbarian is also up. It is a hilariously bad reboot and has Khal Drogo from Game of Thrones. Not a good movie by any standards but it might be worth watching as a modern film-making cautionary tale. As an added bonus you get to hear the most overused narrator cash a pay check. :effort:

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

matrocious posted:

Don't forget that incredible mustache. :swoon:

The Conan the barbarian is also up. It is a hilariously bad reboot and has Khal Drogo from Game of Thrones. Not a good movie by any standards but it might be worth watching as a modern film-making cautionary tale. As an added bonus you get to hear the most overused narrator cash a pay check. :effort:

It's a groan worthy bad movie, which is really disappointing since the low fantasy setting for Conan stories is really awesome.

But at least it has Ron Perlman

matrocious
Feb 7, 2011
Absentia is a pretty good low budget psychological horror movie. Really good use of minimal sound. Might be worth checking out if you're into jump scares but it goes off the rails a bit towards the end.

E: It's certainly not Alien or The Exorcist but it's decent for what it is (YMMV). Also, every movie that has two female leads isn't a lifetime movie.

matrocious fucked around with this message at 04:29 on Jul 13, 2012

MrGreenShirt
Mar 14, 2005

Hell of a book. It's about bunnies!

I'm going to quote myself from the Horror Megathread.

MrGreenShirt posted:

I literally just finished watching Absentia. My reaction?

Meh.

It was slow, boring, and not a lot happened. Interesting premise, terrible execution. Not so much a horror film as a lifetime channel original with a spattering of the supernatural thrown in.

X-Ray Pecs
May 11, 2008

New York
Ice Cream
TV
Travel
~Good Times~
The original Superman is on Instant Watch. Please watch it if you never have before. It's really good, it's from the same director as Lethal Weapon, and is one of those films that reminds me how magical movies can be. Plus, it's got Gene Hackman hamming it up as the world's greatest criminal mastermind.

MrGreenShirt
Mar 14, 2005

Hell of a book. It's about bunnies!

matrocious posted:

Also, every movie that has two female leads isn't a lifetime movie.

While you do have a point, when the "horror" movie spends far less time on the haunting parts and much more on the story of two sisters dealing with grief, a loss of intimacy, and the pain of declaring a missing husband dead in absentia, eventually you have to start calling a spade a spade.

LloydDobler
Oct 15, 2005

You shared it with a dick.

Erebus posted:

And for us suckers who rely entirely on the Internet for our TV, season 4 of Breaking Bad is coming to Instant the same day season 5 starts.

Awesome, thanks for the tip. I hate watching TV on disc, I need to binge. I'm halfway through season 1 right now, re-capping because I've only seen it once.

Also, to add to the BSG discussion, I know it's silly but I was sold on it when right in the first episode, Roslin is in the doctor's office about to get her diagnosis, and out the window you can see Serenity coming in for a landing.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

X-Ray Pecs posted:

The original Superman is on Instant Watch. Please watch it if you never have before. It's really good, it's from the same director as Lethal Weapon, and is one of those films that reminds me how magical movies can be. Plus, it's got Gene Hackman hamming it up as the world's greatest criminal mastermind.

Otisberg?

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

X-Ray Pecs posted:

It really is a perfect film: it captures the earnest optimism necessary for a movie about a man with superpowers, but cuts it with just enough awareness that you can have a good time and not roll your eyes. It's like this perfect transitional moment out of the '70s and into the '80s.

matrocious
Feb 7, 2011
It also has a tremendous score by John Williams.

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer
I still think, to this day, that Superman: The Movie is the finest superhero film. It's... honestly close to perfect.

X-Ray Pecs
May 11, 2008

New York
Ice Cream
TV
Travel
~Good Times~

matrocious posted:

It also has a tremendous score by John Williams.

My favorite use of the score is probably the opening credits. Between the music and the various cast and crew members flying at your face, the opening credits really help create that awe that sticks with you through the entire movie.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1qHDWdGPomw

RoughDraft2.0
Mar 8, 2007

We really like your car, Mrs. LaRusso.

X-Ray Pecs posted:

My favorite use of the score is probably the opening credits. Between the music and the various cast and crew members flying at your face, the opening credits really help create that awe that sticks with you through the entire movie.

Superman credits are tied with Star Wars for sheer adrenaline dump.

I prefer Superman II to the first -- Terence Stamp is amazing, especially playing off against Hackman -- but both are super solid. Warner will never in a million years find anyone as perfectly suited to the part as Reeve. It's probably the best superhero casting decision ever.

Jay Dub
Jul 27, 2009

I'm not listening
to youuuuu...

X-Ray Pecs posted:

If there was one thing I absolutely loved about Superman Returns, it's that I finally got to see that credit sequence on the big screen. Even all gussied up with CGI planets and poo poo, it was glorious.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n59WAWD7dqE

penismightier
Dec 6, 2005

What the hell, I'll just eat some trash.

RoughDraft2.0 posted:

Superman credits are tied with Star Wars for sheer adrenaline dump.

Ha, that's a pretty good way to put it. It's the film version of a guy in the stands pumping everyone up before the team runs out.

Mental Hospitality
Jan 5, 2011

I must have been in too good of a mood today so I decided to watch 3 war docs:

Severe Clear
Hell and Back Again
and
Restrepo

Holy gently caress were they brutal. :smithicide:

*edit* VVV It is in my queue. I think I'll watch some Stargate or something instead. VVV

Mental Hospitality fucked around with this message at 05:41 on Jul 14, 2012

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours
You should also watch Armadillo, which is also on Streaming.

matrocious
Feb 7, 2011

Jay Dub posted:

If there was one thing I absolutely loved about Superman Returns, it's that I finally got to see that credit sequence on the big screen. Even all gussied up with CGI planets and poo poo, it was glorious.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n59WAWD7dqE

That intro is incredible. I had completely forgotten how good it was because of how poor that movie was. Perfect balance of taking a throw-back style and adding the modern effects.

Superman Returns seemed like such a good idea but it's just impossible to replace Christopher Reeve. He was just a great actor and completely owns that role.

Hewlett
Mar 4, 2005

"DANCE! DANCE! DANCE!"

Also, drink
and watch movies.
That's fun too.

Guys, don't watch Zonad. I didn't even make it a half hour into the 75 minute movie - it's tremendously unfunny and mean-spirited.

the_Vandal
Feb 7, 2004

You make me wanna cry
You make me wanna die
I love you, I love you, I love you,
I love you, I love you
Night Man
The best Richard Donner film was the Goonies and to a lesser extent Lethal Weapon 2. Superman is merely okay.

Kingtheninja
Jul 29, 2004

"You're the best looking guy here."

the_Vandal posted:

The best Richard Donner film was the Goonies and to a lesser extent Lethal Weapon 2. Superman is merely okay.

loving love lethal weapon 2. Easily the best one.

forever whatever
Sep 28, 2007

Hitting the wall.
Heads up: season four of Breaking Bad just got put up, just in time for season five, which premieres tonight! I'm gonna watch the last few episodes as a refresher before I head over to a friend's place tonight for the premiere...

fenix down
Jan 12, 2005

forever whatever posted:

Heads up: season four of Breaking Bad just got put up, just in time for season five, which premieres tonight! I'm gonna watch the last few episodes as a refresher before I head over to a friend's place tonight for the premiere...
They must really want people to watch it - I just got an e-mail about it!

red19fire
May 26, 2010

Rampart was just added to Netflix. It is considered Woody Harrelson's best role, ever. I am going to be starting it momentarily, will report back later.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

red19fire posted:

Rampart was just added to Netflix. It is considered Woody Harrelson's best role, ever. I am going to be starting it momentarily, will report back later.

I don't know about Harrelson's best role ever, but he is really great in it. Also he does more smoking in that movie than every lead character combined in the last ten years of American movies.

Dr Monkeysee
Oct 11, 2002

just a fox like a hundred thousand others
Nap Ghost
If anyone's up for some very distinctive animation check out The Secret of Kells. It's basically an animated version of the crazy-detailed margins of medieval manuscripts written by Christian monks, which is also what the plot is about. It's gorgeous and the story is told in a sort of visual dream logic.

The Sisko
Jan 9, 2009

"Whenever there's injustice, wrongs to be righted, innocents to be defended, The Sisko will be there, delivering ass-whooppings."

forever whatever posted:

season four of Breaking Bad just got put up...

I just binged through all of it and... :stare:

DING!DING!DING!MOTHERFUCKER!

DaMangoSentinel
Sep 10, 2010

Do I have to do it like this?
A friend and I stumbled across this gem on Netflix tonight.

The IMDB description reads as follows: "Dwarfs playing basketball... with Dennis Rodman."

Unfortunately, that doesn't really do the movie justice. See, it's worse than that. Far worse than that. Here. Have a taste: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z03KiZvFG7s

Really, the movie feels like an extended Tim and Eric sketch, so if you're into that, this movie is perfect. It's the type of movie that will constantly astound you with just how bad it is, and how much worse it gets.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

red19fire posted:

Rampart is a really horrible film and Woody's best role is Zombieland.

The Cameo
Jan 20, 2005

Rhyno posted:

The People vs. Larry Flynt. :colbert:

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

The Cameo posted:

The People vs. Larry Flynt. :colbert:

I counter with his cameo in Austin Powers Part Whatever.

The Cameo
Jan 20, 2005

Rhyno posted:

I counter with his cameo in Austin Powers Part Whatever.

I see you your Austin Powers and raise you a Kingpin.

... Which was on Netflix for what seemed like forever. Must've been a part of the Starz! deal, because it's gone now. Huh.

Fiendish Dr. Wu
Nov 11, 2010

You done fucked up now!
You're all wrong because Natural Born Killers

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

Rhyno posted:

What was horrible about it? And his best role is in Natural Born Killers.

Fiendish Dr. Wu
Nov 11, 2010

You done fucked up now!

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD posted:

:smug::respek::smug:

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours
And it's on Netflix Streaming, too!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

X-Ray Pecs
May 11, 2008

New York
Ice Cream
TV
Travel
~Good Times~

Fiendish Dr. Wu posted:

You're all wrong because Natural Born Killers

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD posted:

But he didn't have the best role in the movie. (That honor goes to Rodney Dangerfield)

• Locked thread