Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

HandlingByJebus
Jun 21, 2009

All of a sudden, I found myself in love with the world, so there was only one thing I could do:
was ding a ding dang, my dang a long racecar.

It's a love affair. Mainly jebus, and my racecar.

Frankston posted:

How's a Monster 696 for a first (big) bike? I've watched a bunch of videos on YouTube and it only ever seems to be women riding them. I don't want to get a woman's bike.

gently caress you.

The Monster 696 is a loving incredible machine - tiny, light, enough power to be fun, and dead, dead simple. I love mine to pieces, and it is the least powerful bike I've owned in almost 15 years of riding. Its handling is practically telepathic, it sounds amazing, looks great and has that Italian attitude.

You do not deserve one. Please buy a Hyosung SV650 clone.

Also: my wife loves her 696 as well.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Texibus
May 18, 2008
Hey fellas, looking to get my very first bike, and I have zero riding experience. I have a budget of around 4,000 for a used bike, but I have been looking at motorcycles mainly in the price range of 2500 and below because I want something that if I drop my heart doesn't go with it. Mainly I'm looking for something that is easy to learn on, and can easily go around 65-70 mph. I live in metro-detroit and most of the main roadways I'd be using are 50+ and I use the expressways really often. However, I don't intend on using the expressways till I feel comfortable, but I also don't want to be hunting again in a few months. Is there any more than the inherent risk of riding a motorcycle associated with my thought process or am I asking for trouble looking for bikes that can go into the 70s comfortably? I'm not interested in blazing past people on the highway, I just want to safely keep up with traffic. Mainly I want this bike for commuting and crusing.

Anyway that being said: I saw this bike today and wanted to know your thoughts:

http://detroit.craigslist.org/wyn/mcy/3134366332.html

or

http://detroit.craigslist.org/mcb/mcy/3133802735.html

Thanks fellas.

Texibus fucked around with this message at 15:39 on Jul 12, 2012

A Proper Uppercut
Sep 30, 2008

Texibus posted:

Hey fellas, looking to get my very first bike, and I have zero riding experience. I have a budget of around 4,000 for a used bike, but I have been looking at motorcycles mainly in the price range of 2500 and below because I want something that if I drop my heart doesn't go with it. Mainly I'm looking for something that is easy to learn on, and can easily go around 65-70 mph. I live in metro-detroit and most of the main roadways I'd be using are 50+ and I use the expressways really often. However, I don't intend on using the expressways till I feel comfortable, but I also don't want to be hunting again in a few months. Is there any more than the inherent risk of riding a motorcycle associated with my thought process or am I asking for trouble looking for bikes that can go into the 70s comfortably? I'm not interested in blazing past people on the highway, I just want to safely keep up with traffic. Mainly I want this bike for commuting and crusing.

Anyway that being said: I saw this bike today and wanted to know your thoughts:

http://detroit.craigslist.org/wyn/mcy/3134366332.html

Thanks fellas.

First thing, just want to say I'm far from the most experienced person on here. But in the past year I also did the looking for a good first bike thing. The bike you posted really is gorgeous, and while I know nothing about the particular model, from what I've seen, CL ads saying the carbs need to be adjusted is usually someone saying "This doesn't run right and I guess it might be the carbs". I would try to find something that looks like it may be running a little better. I took a quick look on your local CL and these are a few that I thought looked ok.

http://detroit.craigslist.org/wyn/mcy/3121182155.html

http://detroit.craigslist.org/wyn/mcy/3128026340.html

http://detroit.craigslist.org/wyn/mcy/3131551635.html

http://detroit.craigslist.org/wyn/mcy/3132869098.html

None of those would have any trouble going 50+, though the 250 might start to struggle a bit at highway speeds, methinks.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Don't get the KH400 to ride, but DO get it to flip for twice what he's asking. Or sell it to me for 400 bucks for giving you this tip. That is a 2-stroke 400cc triple, which I have universally heard described as a DEATH MACHINE -- extremely peaky power delivery in a frame and brakes that aren't up to snuff. So, no good to start out on. It would be a hell of a lot of fun for someone more experienced than me, though, and 350 dollars is a ridiculously good price -- so much that I wonder if it's stolen or something. I'm very jealous.

Zubumafoo has some good suggestions, though.

e: hmm, I looked it up and that doesn't make as much power as I thought. I must be thinking of a different 2T triple. That would actually be an okay bike to start on if (1) it's not totally busted, (2) you are willing to work on it and (3) you are okay with riding something that sounds like a chainsaw. Go and see it, because if it runs, for 350 dollars you really can't lose.

Note that I am saying this purely as a vintage bike enthusiast, not as someone lookng for a commuter bike. That wouldn't be the best thing if you're planning to ride to work but it sure is a unique piece of machinery.

Sagebrush fucked around with this message at 15:55 on Jul 12, 2012

Texibus
May 18, 2008

Sagebrush posted:

Note that I am saying this purely as a vintage bike enthusiast, not as someone lookng for a commuter bike. That wouldn't be the best thing if you're planning to ride to work but it sure is a unique piece of machinery.

I like the look of the older bikes too, which is why I have been steering away from the ninjas and things like that. Also, I'm not going to be riding this thing every day, I have a car, I just want the option. I really like the look of those roadster/nightster/triumph bikes, but I'm looking mainly for something to learn on, not the most aestically pleasing to me.

I really appreciate all those links. They really helped to focus my search, and I like the Suzuki 650,trying to schedule to go see that sucker.

Thanks again fellas

its all nice on rice
Nov 12, 2006

Sweet, Salty Goodness.

Buglord
As I suffer from Multiple Bike Syndrome, I will inevitably get a new bike. While one isn't in the cards currently, it's going to happen at some point, and I'd like some ideas of what to shoot for.

I've currently got my FZ6. It's great for my commute, touring, hopping around town, everything. Sometimes, though, it'd be nice to have a cruiser to just float around on. The GF doesn't like riding pillion on the FZ, either, and would be more willing to go on rides if she had an upright seating position, a larger seat and a sissy bar.
What I'm looking for:
-Enough power to carry two up with luggage at highway speed.
-Small enough to get through town.
-At least 40mpg.
-Shaft or Belt drive
-Less than 10k
-gently caress that billet poo poo
-A pillion seat that's more than just half an inch of foam with dimensions greater than 2"x4".

When it comes to aftermarket stuff, there's plenty out there for cruisers, and I have access to someone who can weld aluminum and is an electrical engineer, so I'm not too worried about that sort of thing.

Looking at the used market, there's plenty out there for me to choose from under $10k. Personally, I'm a fan of Yamaha and was looking at something from a V-Star 950-1300 tourer.

Frankston
Jul 27, 2010

sofullofhate posted:

gently caress you.

The Monster 696 is a loving incredible machine - tiny, light, enough power to be fun, and dead, dead simple. I love mine to pieces, and it is the least powerful bike I've owned in almost 15 years of riding. Its handling is practically telepathic, it sounds amazing, looks great and has that Italian attitude.

You do not deserve one. Please buy a Hyosung SV650 clone.

Also: my wife loves her 696 as well.

That's what I'm after. Small, light, easy to handle. My biggest worry about moving up to a bigger bike is the weight. Two years of riding an XR125 though, I'm pretty sure any other bike is gonna feel heavy compared to it.

clutchpuck
Apr 30, 2004
ro-tard

Pope Mobile posted:

Looking at the used market, there's plenty out there for me to choose from under $10k. Personally, I'm a fan of Yamaha and was looking at something from a V-Star 950-1300 tourer.

The 1300 is a good machine not without issues. It makes a lot of power for a lumpy vtwin like that - supposed to put just about 70 to the road and a torque peak at 4000rpm before it runs out of breath - intake exhaust and fuel mods go a long way on it, it's pretty revvy the power and torque are at 4000+ rpm. Will do 120-130mph stock, and it handles well for what it is. You'd never guess it was a 680lb bike.

The tourer's windshield sucks, it's like a basketball backboard, but the bags it come with are decent. Mine was a standard, I rode it naked up front with Road King Classic bags on the tail. The stock bars and grips are bad, no matter what year. Yamaha testers must be roughly gorilla-shaped. SS Custom Cycle makes several replacements that work with stock cables and wiring, and they have awesome prices on anything you can get for the bike.

If you get one, you will be annoyed by the infamous front end "clunk". If you get a 07, you will might be annoyed by the clattery clutch (if you like to idle in neutral with the clutch out). The bike is engineered to go in a crate and be shipped overseas, so some of the components are a pain to access, like the valves. The clutch cable replacement wanted me to take the header off, for example (but I figured out a workaround).

To get the best performance out of it, a manometer or carb balanced tool is a must. Balance the throttle bodies every oil change and it will run smooth as butter.

I had trouble with a gearbox bearing exploding requiring a full teardown at 17k mi, but I gather that this is very rare and probably due to the wacky-tight belt tension spec in the manual, which I followed to the letter like a dummy. So take the FSM with some skepticism.

Marv Hushman
Jun 2, 2010

Freedom Ain't Free
:911::911::911:
This one is kiiinda setting off my scam/BS detectors, but I think I might make a play for it anyway. The scam ads typically don't list a town.

http://detroit.craigslist.org/okl/mcy/3134672907.html

Appears to be one of their attempts at a do-everything bike, and a cursory check seems to indicate they were mostly successful. Rare, so I don't expect any direct experience, but does anyone know anything about these?

clutchpuck
Apr 30, 2004
ro-tard
Looks like what eventually became the Roadster model. What do you suppose the "ST" stands for?

Marv Hushman
Jun 2, 2010

Freedom Ain't Free
:911::911::911:

clutchpuck posted:

Looks like what eventually became the Roadster model. What do you suppose the "ST" stands for?

Don't know, maybe Strasse? A more street-friendly version of the G/S dual sport, which was primarily for off-road I guess. It may just be a matter of bodywork, who knows.

epswing
Nov 4, 2003

Soiled Meat
Looking for 2nd bike!

• Shouldn't cause me to lean forward onto the handlebars. This means a standard or a cruiser.
  • Comfortable for longer trips. I should be able to do ~4 hours of highway and still be comfy.
  • Less than 800cc, for insurance purposes.

I'm looking at the Shadow 750 in the cruiser arena, and the V-Strom 650 as a standard.

Are these terrible choices?
Which other bikes should I be considering?

Knot My President!
Jan 10, 2005

V-Strom 650 is a great choice for a standard. 55mpg, easy power delivery, and can handle most bad roads you encounter while riding on the street. FZ6 and Bandit 600 are both good choices as well. Pretty docile below 6k but can still get out of their own way at higher RPM.

clutchpuck
Apr 30, 2004
ro-tard

epalm posted:

I'm looking at the Shadow 750 in the cruiser arena, and the V-Strom 650 as a standard.

The Strom is cool if you tuck your dragon t-shirts into your jeans without a belt on. More objectively, it's a solid ride, typically good value.

The Shadow 750 looks the part but take this from a dude who likes cruisers: it is so awful to ride. Frightening low-speed manners, cannot get out of its own way. Reliability and value is fine, but bikes like this are what people evoke when they say cruisers can't handle - it is quite possibly the worst handling bike I've ever rode. Under 800cc, I'd do a Vulcan 500 or a Savage/S40 before a Shadow 750.

Nerobro
Nov 4, 2005

Rider now with 100% more titanium!
Seconding the Savage. Those are great bikes.

n8r
Jul 3, 2003

I helped Lowtax become a cyborg and all I got was this lousy avatar

Xovaan posted:

V-Strom 650 is a great choice for a standard. 55mpg, easy power delivery, and can handle most bad roads you encounter while riding on the street. FZ6 and Bandit 600 are both good choices as well. Pretty docile below 6k but can still get out of their own way at higher RPM.

a vstrom doesnt get 55mpg

its all nice on rice
Nov 12, 2006

Sweet, Salty Goodness.

Buglord

n8r posted:

I'd say it's possible if you're mainly driving consistenly at freeway speeds. My SV650 got around 48-50 with mixed city and highway, and they've got the same engine.

Knot My President!
Jan 10, 2005

n8r posted:

EFI DL650's get around 50-55mpg city and ADVrider reviews seem to back this up. :confused:

clutchpuck
Apr 30, 2004
ro-tard
Yeah, that doesn't seem too out of line. I imagine the ADV strom crowd are generally pretty conservative riders. My fuel economy would swing from 40 to close to 60mpg on my vstar depending on how I rode, with an EPA estimate of 42mpg.

Knot My President!
Jan 10, 2005

I never saw higher than 36 on my first gen SV but then again I never rode that thing below 6k. :D

clutchpuck
Apr 30, 2004
ro-tard
In that case, I think you should probably expect about the same from a strom.

infraboy
Aug 15, 2002

Phungshwei!!!!!!1123
Not sure why it matters if it's under 800cc for insurance purposes, unless you're in Europe?

I know that cruisers of pretty much any displacement in the states is ridiculously low compared to sportbikes, I know if I added one to my policy I wouldn't even have to consider how much the insurance would be, it'd literally be like 10-15% of the cost of insuring a sportbike.

That being said the newer Suzuki C50 and M50 bikes are pretty nice, 805cc, and the newer ones are fuel injected. If you want carbs the older Volusia is pretty nice.

If I was going Honda i'd go for the Shadow 1100, shaft driven and hydraulic valve lifters means it'll run forever with basic maintenance.

HandlingByJebus
Jun 21, 2009

All of a sudden, I found myself in love with the world, so there was only one thing I could do:
was ding a ding dang, my dang a long racecar.

It's a love affair. Mainly jebus, and my racecar.

Frankston posted:

That's what I'm after. Small, light, easy to handle. My biggest worry about moving up to a bigger bike is the weight. Two years of riding an XR125 though, I'm pretty sure any other bike is gonna feel heavy compared to it.

The 696 (~350 lbs) weighs almost exactly 100 lbs more than an XR125 (~250 lbs). It slings that weight low, though (thanks, L-twin). I've never ridden a ~125 before, but the CG on the Monster really, really low. Lower than it looks like should be possible.

Texibus
May 18, 2008
Alright, I posted earlier about my situation and got a few recommendations. I saw these three bikes that I like, how are these for a beginner? I have 3,500 to spend.

http://detroit.craigslist.org/mcb/mcy/3135810932.html

http://detroit.craigslist.org/okl/mcy/3115603199.html

http://detroit.craigslist.org/wyn/mcy/3123039371.html

Texibus fucked around with this message at 20:00 on Jul 13, 2012

clutchpuck
Apr 30, 2004
ro-tard
All three of those will probably treat you well.

infraboy
Aug 15, 2002

Phungshwei!!!!!!1123
They're all pretty good, not sure if you want the Ducati, ergonomically and power wise it's fine but it'll be a real heartbreaker when you drop it though.

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester
Oct 3, 2000
If you get anything but the Ducati you'll be missing out.

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe
Just went and saw/test rode this 2007 Bandit 650S. I really found nothing wrong with it, and the price for the Toronto area is pretty darn good. The controls and body position are a bit different from the ol' CB400T, but not too far forward for my liking.

Really dug my short test ride. Of course it helps going from a 32 year old bike that needs engine work to a 5 year old fuel injected I4 with twice the power! :D Is tempting...

EDIT: wrong year (looking at too many ads lol)

Chris Knight fucked around with this message at 20:10 on Jul 15, 2012

kenny powerzzz
Jan 20, 2010

Chris Knight posted:

Just went and saw/test rode this 2003 Bandit 650S. I really found nothing wrong with it, and the price for the Toronto area is pretty darn good. The controls and body position are a bit different from the ol' CB400T, but not too far forward for my liking.

Really dug my short test ride. Of course it helps going from a 32 year old bike that needs engine work to a 5 year old fuel injected I4 with twice the power! :D Is tempting...
A 2003 Bandit is not 5 years old but as I'm now shopping for a newer bike than my 1982 gs650e I know the feeling.
Edit- I actually clicked the link and see a 2007 my bad.

Skreemer
Jan 28, 2006
I like blue.

Texibus posted:

Alright, I posted earlier about my situation and got a few recommendations. I saw these three bikes that I like, how are these for a beginner? I have 3,500 to spend.

http://detroit.craigslist.org/mcb/mcy/3135810932.html

http://detroit.craigslist.org/okl/mcy/3115603199.html

http://detroit.craigslist.org/wyn/mcy/3123039371.html

Talk the price down on the suzuki 650(Savage/S40) a bit. When you get tired of the looks you too can have a cafe racer by throwing a Ryca Motors kit on it, http://www.rycamotors.com/ ...

epswing
Nov 4, 2003

Soiled Meat
The 2012 V-Strom 650 has the Gladius engine, as opposed to the SV650 engine.

Is this a Good Thing or a Bad Thing?

Knot My President!
Jan 10, 2005

Depends on your perspective. I personally like the K1 engines because of the wide availability of parts and archive of common issues associated with them. I don't know much about the K2 and as a warm-blooded American, I must fear and hate anything I do not understand. :911:

Backov
Mar 28, 2010

Spotted at the Dairy Queen at the end of my block.

Frozen Pizza Party
Dec 13, 2005

Dude, that thing's got rototoms... awesome.

Saga
Aug 17, 2009

Frankston posted:

Only get one if you're under 6 foot and/or short in the leg. The 696 has an excellent chassis but requires contortions in every corner if you're above average height. Short bike, low seat, high pegs. If you're taller, maybe a street triple.

Nerobro
Nov 4, 2005

Rider now with 100% more titanium!
I'm 5'5". The street triple is supremely comfortable. And I think I can flat foot it.

Saga
Aug 17, 2009

Nerobro posted:

I'm 5'5". The street triple is supremely comfortable. And I think I can flat foot it.

Yeah, but it also works for longer-legged riders. Like me. I was thinking light-weight, easy to handle, high quality street bike. That's not a Duke 4 (or a Miata). Triumph dealer network is good too.

e: I borrowed a 696 for a morning and circulating roundabouts was just agonising. The bike is set up like a little RGV and probably about the same size, but my inside leg was basically folded up completely and with the step they build into the seat getting off the bike was a lot of work. So you have a bike that's all about the front end but taller riders who aren't gymnasts will struggle to use it. With a smaller rider, it would be an absolute weapon on a twisty, well-surfaced road or in a city.

Frankston, be aware they have even less wind protection than it looks. If you're doing any extended A road riding or winter riding, something with a half fairing or a useful mini-screen (e.g. the Hornet or Speed Triple touring screens) will make life much more pleasant.

Also try a 2007+ Hornet. Slightly heavier and wider in the tank, but the c of g is very low and it's epic as a commuter bike. ~45mpg. If you're coming off the 125, maybe also look at the NC700 or NC700X. 3-4x the power of the 125 with ~70mpg and I believe Honda is doing a promotion with free luggage or something for the X model.

Saga fucked around with this message at 09:42 on Jul 17, 2012

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

Five degrees to starboard!

The repair shop near me has an older ('04? '05?) Multistrada 1000. I was chatting with the owner, and he let it be known that the bike would probably be coming up for sale in a couple of weeks, probably around $5000. Is this a deal, or should I bide my time and make a move on a more recent V-Strom 1000 when the time is right?

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

I think the point is Z3n is a space cowboy on the edge of a frontier unknown to man, he's out there pushing the limits, trail braking into the abyss. Finding out where the edge of the razor is, turning to face the darkness and revving his 690 into it's vast gaze. You gotta live this to learn it bro.
Depends on condition and mods, but multistradas seem to go for about that price. Everyone I know who has one loves the crap out of it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hog Obituary
Jun 11, 2006
start the day right
http://sfbay.craigslist.org/nby/mcy/3140284257.html

quote:

2005 suzuki sv650s 15k miles 3000 obo - $2750

blue 2005 sv650s with 15k miles. NEVER BEEN DOWN!!! Stock everything. just put m3 tires on front and rear on and has less than 30 miles on them. Brother screwed me out of this deal so i am selling it now. registration is past due (this september will be two years) pink slip in hand. the bike has not scratches, anything you see in the pictures are bugs. more pictures upon request. includes ALPINESTAR riding jacket, two black helmets one of which is bluetooth, two pairs of riding gloves, waterproof riding pants, and a cargo net.

Owner seems like an idiot and there's back fees, but the price seems right? I suppose it depends on if it's a clean title, right? I've never had to deal with back fees... seems like it shouldn't be more than a few hundred right?