Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

HappyHelmet
Apr 9, 2003

Hail to the king baby!
Grimey Drawer

Toussaint Louverture posted:

How long is the process to get a teaching job in Taiwan? Going to start looking for a new job in Korea but I want another option in case Korea gets a bit too old. Will be a free man on October 9th and want to spend as little time as possible in that free state. Would probably want to avoid Taipei, I hate rain and prefer hot weather. Is Saturday a universal thing or a Hess thing? For the record, I'm far too neurotic to just show up in country and look for a job in person.

Man, gently caress Korean winters, for real.

Like Haraksha said if you want to avoid the rain focus on Taichung, Tainan, and Kaohsiung for work. Also like he said smaller schools tend to be 5 days a week, and the big companies tend to go 6. If your just arriving you should plan on working 6 days a week. After your first year you can start looking around for something more suitable to you.

As far as getting hired outside of the country HESS is the only company that really does that, but its worth looking around on Tealit.com. Most places want you to be there for an interview in person, but you never know what you might find.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

quadrophrenic
Feb 4, 2011

WIN MARNIE WIN
Kojen was willing to hire me abroad, so there's that

Ravendas
Sep 29, 2001

Yeah, Kojen hires abroad, and some smaller mom and pop schools do as well. It's how I got here in the first place.

Also, not all chains have Saturday classes. I work at a major branch of Hess in the middle of Taipei, and there aren't any Saturday classes. Just rarely an open house to get new students to come in, where one foreign teacher has to teach.

So, I teach on Saturday maybe two or three times a year.

Edit: Mom and Pop place had me teaching 9am-6pm every Saturday though.

Spanish Matlock
Sep 6, 2004

If you want to play the I-didn't-know-this-was-a-hippo-bar game with me, that's fine.
Keep in mind that if a school hires from abroad, it's probably because no one actually living here would work for their lovely pay/long hours.

Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
fiddly digits, itchy britches
I love you all
I got hired from abroad and my school is fine, just in a lousy location.

Ravendas
Sep 29, 2001

The one that hired me from abroad had 16-20 hours/week, 800nt/hour, 0 homework or tests to grade. I was the sole foreign teacher there, which meant I had to do every class, so no one was around to fill in for me. Made it difficult for time off and made for some argumentative sick days, but it was great money for little work.

So, not always true.

Spanish Matlock
Sep 6, 2004

If you want to play the I-didn't-know-this-was-a-hippo-bar game with me, that's fine.

Ravendas posted:

The one that hired me from abroad had 16-20 hours/week, 800nt/hour, 0 homework or tests to grade. I was the sole foreign teacher there, which meant I had to do every class, so no one was around to fill in for me. Made it difficult for time off and made for some argumentative sick days, but it was great money for little work.

So, not always true.

I can't even begin to imagine why a school that only has one waiguoren would be recruiting from overseas. Also, I assume that, like Haraksha, your school is somewhere between the exact middle of nowhere and actual civilization.

It's super cool that you guys found sweet jobs in a pot at the end of a rainbow and all, but this island does in fact have a ton of soulless teacher mills, and a common practice at them is to scoop up a newly-grad, fly their rear end all the way to Taiwan, segregate them from all contact with the wider world and then work them unto death.

HappyHelmet
Apr 9, 2003

Hail to the king baby!
Grimey Drawer

Ravendas posted:

Also, not all chains have Saturday classes. I work at a major branch of Hess in the middle of Taipei, and there aren't any Saturday classes. Just rarely an open house to get new students to come in, where one foreign teacher has to teach.

This is true, but I'd say the majority of chain schools require Saturdays. Most everyone I've met that works at Joy, Melody, and Kojen all work Saturdays. Though with that said I work at a Joy English, and I don't have to work Saturdays because it was the only way they could get any foreigners to work for them.

Spanish Matlock
Sep 6, 2004

I work saturdays, but I teach adults so my students are busy during the week.

Eifert Posting
Apr 1, 2007

Most of the time he catches it every time.
Grimey Drawer
If it helps, I've got 180 hours of TEFL and 18 months of NET experience. I don't have an American teaching cert but basically I've got everything but. The little research I've done seems to show that most schools in Taiwan don't give a poo poo.

quadrophrenic
Feb 4, 2011

WIN MARNIE WIN
I think that's the conventional wisdom, and I haven't actually taught EFL yet so take this with a grain of salt, but I interviewed successfully for the job, and I can tell you that having 180 hours of formal teaching experience couldn't have possibly hurt me during the interview.

From what I understand, buxibans don't want old-hand EFL teachers because they all have their own methods and conventions and they don't want biased teachers, so with your experience I think mentioning your openness to try new techniques could be a boon.

But again, I haven't actually started the job yet, so IDK.

nac
Jun 1, 2008
If you don't want to go door-to-door then going through a recruiter can be a good option. You usually pay 20% of your first month's earnings as commission, but that's not too bad when you can often get a job that starts immediately with almost no legwork.

HappyHelmet
Apr 9, 2003

Hail to the king baby!
Grimey Drawer

nac posted:

If you don't want to go door-to-door then going through a recruiter can be a good option. You usually pay 20% of your first month's earnings as commission, but that's not too bad when you can often get a job that starts immediately with almost no legwork.

Eh? All the recruiters I've seen only charge the company not the people looking for jobs. That seems strange too me.

Also I'm not sure how things are in the Taipei area, but I would recommend against using one in the Taichung area. As I understand it the bottom completely fell out of the recruiter market here a few years ago, and now there are hardly any left. The ones that are still here only have jobs that are quite far outside the city that nobody wants. Again I'm not sure this applies to all of Taiwan though.

Ravendas
Sep 29, 2001

Spanish Matlock posted:

I can't even begin to imagine why a school that only has one waiguoren would be recruiting from overseas. Also, I assume that, like Haraksha, your school is somewhere between the exact middle of nowhere and actual civilization.

It's super cool that you guys found sweet jobs in a pot at the end of a rainbow and all, but this island does in fact have a ton of soulless teacher mills, and a common practice at them is to scoop up a newly-grad, fly their rear end all the way to Taiwan, segregate them from all contact with the wider world and then work them unto death.

The school was in the middle of Wanhua district, a few minute bus ride from where I lived in Ximen Ding. Quite a nice location.

Spanish Matlock
Sep 6, 2004

Ravendas posted:

The school was in the middle of Wanhua district, a few minute bus ride from where I lived in Ximen Ding. Quite a nice location.

Why were they recruiting people from abroad?

neno
Aug 6, 2001
I was wondering if anyone had any information on the legality of E-cigs. I had read that the sale of e-cigs in Taiwan is illegal but that owning one is not. This seems kind of odd to me and as I will be coming to Taiwan to begin a new job in a week I wanted to make sure I would be alright bringing my e-cig and nicotine juice with me.

Ravendas
Sep 29, 2001

Spanish Matlock posted:

Why were they recruiting people from abroad?

They had a post on tealit that I replied to (6 years ago). Their (at the time) current whitey called me in America, gave me a little interview, as did the manager, asked when the earliest I could fly over was, and hired me when I landed.

I blame myself for sending out sexy pictures of myself with my resume/letter in the email. Little schools need good mascots.

sub supau
Aug 28, 2007

neno posted:

I was wondering if anyone had any information on the legality of E-cigs. I had read that the sale of e-cigs in Taiwan is illegal but that owning one is not. This seems kind of odd to me and as I will be coming to Taiwan to begin a new job in a week I wanted to make sure I would be alright bringing my e-cig and nicotine juice with me.
They're illegal to sell because they haven't been certified by the Department of Health, so bringing one with should be fine.

Inu
Apr 26, 2002

Jump! Jump!

I'm going to be living and going to school in Tainan starting in September. I've been seeing so much conflicting information about the tap water in Taiwan in stuff I've read. Do you all drink it, or do you avoid drinking it? Is it actually necessary to boil/filter it? Some places I've read have recommended that, some have said it's not necessary.

I'm not fussy about water either. I've always just drunk it right from the tap. Just as long as it won't make me sick...

Ravendas
Sep 29, 2001

Inu posted:

I'm going to be living and going to school in Tainan starting in September. I've been seeing so much conflicting information about the tap water in Taiwan in stuff I've read. Do you all drink it, or do you avoid drinking it? Is it actually necessary to boil/filter it? Some places I've read have recommended that, some have said it's not necessary.

I'm not fussy about water either. I've always just drunk it right from the tap. Just as long as it won't make me sick...

I use a Brita filter here in Taipei, and haven't died yet.

Spanish Matlock
Sep 6, 2004

There's nothing wrong with drinking tap water. I cook with it all the time too. Honestly though, a bottle of water is like 15NT.

Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
I love you all
I cook with the tap water and I'm still alive. I think I may have drunk it once when I was super hungover and had nothing else in the apartment. My school has a filtration machine and I just fill up 5L jugs there once a week, but it's mostly for my cat.

duckfarts
Jul 2, 2010

~ shameful ~

Soiled Meat

Inu posted:

Depends on the pipes in your building; I didn't trust it in my last building when a bunch of rust-water would come out if I hadn't used the shower in a while. Still cooked with it though, but drank from a 45NT big 'ol jug. It used to be that you'd get stomachaches, but I think things have improved since then. I'd suggest checking the water first, then getting a water pitcher if you're not going to boil.

POCKET CHOMP
Jul 20, 2003

me irl.
I'm pretty sure the fear against tap water is all just cultural superstitions and a concerted effort by Taiwanese bottled water companies, but whatever, why take a risk when it's all pretty drat cheap/easy to make the water "safe" anyway?

The latest building I've moved to has one of those little water dispensing stations on the first floor, 1L of water is 1NT (or if you want it to "add minerals for extra health!" it's 1L for 2NT), and at least then you can be pretty sure it's gone through the correct purification channels. I've just got a bunch of empty 5L jugs, just refill them whenever.

Now let's all discuss whether or not it's okay to flush toilet paper.

mad carl
Feb 11, 2009

POCKET CHOMP posted:

Now let's all discuss whether or not it's okay to flush toilet paper.

Yes. If their pipes can handle the paper it's fine, and if they can't then you must punish them for it.

duckfarts
Jul 2, 2010

~ shameful ~

Soiled Meat

POCKET CHOMP posted:

or if you want it to "add minerals for extra health!" it's 1L for 2NT
Then the machine just pours the water over the extra NT you put in.

I'm kind of bitter since I only had one of those machines within easy access after I moved out of my old place. Don't care anymore though, since I have a canister thingy hooked up in the kitchen now for clean water on demand. :smugdog:

GoutPatrol
Oct 17, 2009

*Stupid Babby*

mad carl posted:

Yes. If their pipes can handle the paper it's fine, and if they can't then you must punish them for it.

My toliet survived a spoon going down. I don't know how it went down, but I couldn't get it out of there.

url
Apr 23, 2007

internet gnuru

GoutPatrol posted:

My toliet survived a spoon going down. I don't know how it went down, but I couldn't get it out of there.

This requires an explain.

Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
I love you all
"Eat poo poo" is just one of those expressions that has unfortunate literal consequences.

POCKET CHOMP
Jul 20, 2003

me irl.
I dropped a spoon in my toilet once in my first apartment here that didn't have a kitchen, so I had to do all my dishes in the bathroom sink. I was able to recover (and trash) it, though.

GoutPatrol
Oct 17, 2009

*Stupid Babby*

url posted:

This requires an explain.

I was trying to de-yolk an egg. Not wanting to drop it down the kitchen sink, and having no trash bags, I went to the nearest thing I could think of at the time. Then my hand slipped. This was one of those small soup spoons so it just zipped away in the hole.

EDIT: This should probably go in the PYF bachelor thread.

dundun
Oct 29, 2005
H E R B
So when is the best time to go to Taiwan if you want to find a teaching job via the door to door/tealit route? I'm guessing its too late by now?

Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
I love you all
Actually, this IS the best time because schools are going to be hiring for September.

Moon Slayer
Jun 19, 2007

Taiwanese health care remains awesome. "Oh, you have a cold? Here's a 4-day supply of 17 different pills and a quart of Brown Mixture. That'll be 100NT."

Ravendas
Sep 29, 2001

Moon Slayer posted:

Taiwanese health care remains awesome. "Oh, you have a cold? Here's a 4-day supply of 17 different pills and a quart of Brown Mixture. That'll be 100NT."

Also, Brown Mixture is opium, and they give tabs of DXM. As in, what some people chug robitussin for.

Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
I love you all
I paid 300NT to have my feet erroneously operated on. Go Taiwan medical care!

sub supau
Aug 28, 2007

Wait, isn't Brown Mixture the stuff there was a big stir about being carcinogenic recently?

e: Looking around, I guess that was something else?

quadrophrenic
Feb 4, 2011

WIN MARNIE WIN

GoutPatrol posted:

I was trying to de-yolk an egg.

I prefer the old "hold it in your hand, jiggle the white through your fingers" method.

Also, hey, by this time tomorrow... well, I'll be sleeping on a bench in PEK, but the day after that I'll have landed at Taipei! Wish me luck!

quadrophrenic
Feb 4, 2011

WIN MARNIE WIN
edit: double post, stupid airport wifi

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HappyHelmet
Apr 9, 2003

Hail to the king baby!
Grimey Drawer

mad carl posted:

Ha, this made me laugh because its exactly what I do. gently caress if I am using their disgusting little poo poo baskets.