Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Pesky Splinter
Feb 16, 2011

A worried pug.

quote:

Terry Pratchett's Unseen Academicals

Meh...didn't think much of the book. Maybe it'll work better as an adaption. But the one I'm waiting for is "Guards! Guards!" dammit! Or even "Men at Arms".

precision posted:

Basically this, yeah. Though I thought he was said at some point to have black hair and a black goatee?

Yeah, I heard something along those lines too. Perhaps he decided not to go through with the effort of dying it, or what have you.

I must say though, on the topic of the adapations, they've all tended to be rather hit and miss, I feel. I do like that they are long enough to give time for the narrative and characters to breathe, and not hurridly squashed into an hour special or something, but at the same time, they keep things in that don't really work for the adaption and are just there to pad it out, it seems.

The Banshee in Going Postal was one of these, I felt. He doesn't really do a lot in the adaption, outside of killing Adora's brother - which I don't think happens in the book, unless someone can correct me., and just is sorta there.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
I think that the Hogfather adaptation was better than the book by a pretty decent margin. Seriously, everything in it just clicked and it was awesome, especially the casting for Susan and Teatime.

But yeah, hit or miss. Going Postal was good, but if I hadn't read the book first I'm pretty sure I'd like it less because there were, as you mention, things that just kind of don't get a proper explanation or resolution.

Also correct me if I'm wrong but didn't they cut the best dialogue exchange out?

"Will you marry me?"
"Not yet."

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

Now the Drums beat up again,
For all true Soldier Gentlemen.
Apart from a few bits merged or dropped for time, the Hogfather one was the best one really.

I hope a few years from now when CGI animation gets slightly less expensive we could see a Discworld CGI series following the more recent cover art style.

Dik Hz
Feb 22, 2004

Fun with Science

Pesky Splinter posted:

Jeremy Irons without the glasses is how I imagine Vetenari to look in my head,

But Charles Dance, is how I imagine him to act and sound.
Only true Vetenari:

Chaos Sonic
Apr 5, 2007
This is pretty much how I always saw Vimes in my head, minus the glasses:

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Vetinari is Hans Gruber in a cassock and with neater hair.

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

Vetinari should be played by Tiny Lister. Fifth Element proved that the man is a natural leader, and Dark Knight showed his emotional range and acting power.

Natural Joe
Dec 27, 2006

MWYAHHHHH!!!
One character I can never picture in my head is Angua. I think it is because I read the Last Hero and read Night Watch first and they had art for everyone but her so I had a literal picture for every other main character she interacted with.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Natural Joe posted:

One character I can never picture in my head is Angua. I think it is because I read the Last Hero and read Night Watch first and they had art for everyone but her so I had a literal picture for every other main character she interacted with.

I don't know if this is actually from the books, but I always imagined her as having curly red hair and being tallish and more muscular than the average Disc woman. Also kind of busty. Basically a werewolf pinup model.

Actually I just realized this very instant I had somehow attributed the Kirby illustration of Conina to her. So never mind then.

e: For some ungodly reason, in my head Carrot and Rand al'Thor look identical.

precision fucked around with this message at 13:05 on Jul 11, 2012

Pesky Splinter
Feb 16, 2011

A worried pug.

Natural Joe posted:

This is Kidby's illustration of her (as a wolf as well), if it helps.

I think she looks too gaunt.

And this is how she's portrayed in the Going Postal adaption:

Which is how she now looks in my mind's eye.

Dirty Frank
Jul 8, 2004

Pesky Splinter posted:

She was perfect in going postal, best thing about it. The rest was enjoyable but almost everything else was off in some way. Like all the other adaptations so far.

I love how obvious it was that last night was a hard night and she doesn't think tonight is going to be any better.

Dirty Frank fucked around with this message at 19:49 on Jul 11, 2012

Mister Roboto
Jun 15, 2009

I SWING BY AUNT MAY's
FOR A SHOWER AND A
BITE, MOST NATURAL
THING IN THE WORLD,
ASSUMING SHE'S
NOT HOME...

...AND I
FIND HER IN BED
WITH MY
FATHER, AND THE
TWO OF THEM
ARE...ARE...

...AAAAAAAAUUUUGH!
For physical descriptions...

Angua is described as very attractive with a great body, so those both fit.

Vimes is skinny and weatherbeaten and going bald at about 50. And a recovering alcoholic who smokes. However, he's also been way more physically active in the past 10-15 years than he ever was, so he'd have a sort of wiry but fight-experienced body.

Carrot is a bodybuilder with a clean-cut, honest face. So basically Kevin Nash's body and someone like...hmm, I can't come up with a young male actor's face.

Nobby is indescribable.

Colon is fat and undeservedly :smug: and not particularly charismatic. I could see him being played by Wayne Knight, (Newman from Seinfeld).

What would be tough to get good actors for would be the Witches.

Granny is not ugly but not attractive, either. Sort of a grouchy, stern humorless stoneface. An aged Captain Janeway?

Nanny is a happy wrinkled prune with one tooth.

Magrat is a walking stick who looks like she's about to cry all the time. This one is probably easier to cast.

Agnes is a very large young girl, but apparently has nice hair. No idea who could play her successfully.

davestones
May 7, 2009
Dawn French could easily do Nanny Ogg

Julio Cruz
May 19, 2006
I always imagine a stern Julie Walters for Granny.

Elector_Nerdlingen
Sep 27, 2004

Granny could be played by Anne Robinson (The Weakest Link game show) assuming she'd dye her hair iron grey for the role. We already know she can be stern and sarcastic.

It's too bad that Jennifer Paterson died. She was on the cooking show "Two Fat Ladies", and she's very much like I pictured Nanny Ogg.

No idea about Magrat.

Richard Griffiths could make a good Colon, he's large and pompous enough.

Scott Glenn looks very Vimes-like.

If you could get Steve Buscemi for Nobby, that would probably work too.

Flipswitch
Mar 30, 2010

AlphaDog posted:

Richard Griffiths could make a good Colon, he's large and pompous enough.
I didn't really agree with the others but this one is perfect.

Nilbop
Jun 5, 2004

Looks like someone forgot his hardhat...

Pesky Splinter posted:

This is Kidby's illustration of her (as a wolf as well), if it helps.

I think she looks too gaunt.

Angua is one of those rare instances where Kidby completely fails to reach anything of the character. She's too weak looking, and she looks mean where she should look controlled. The show did a better job if only because it made her bigger and threw a bit of meat on her bones.

Almost all of Kidby's other works are spot on. Rincewind is picture-perfect. Granny and Nanny are both fantastic (and Nanny looks almost exactly like my old granny, minus some hair!) and Magrat looks hilariously like a female Rincewind. He has about as solid a take on Vimes as anyone does, but he seems to be the most difficult character for almost everyone to describe to their satisfaction. Old-Thin-Eastwood definitely works for me more than Peter-Postelthwaite, but I would like to see him draw Vimes with Pete in mind just for a change. And because Pterry asked.

rejutka
May 28, 2004

by zen death robot
Granny is Anjelica Huston. :colbert:

Mustrum Ridcully is Brian Blessed.

Pesky Splinter
Feb 16, 2011

A worried pug.

Nilbop posted:

Almost all of Kidby's other works are spot on. Rincewind is picture-perfect. Granny and Nanny are both fantastic (and Nanny looks almost exactly like my old granny, minus some hair!) and Magrat looks hilariously like a female Rincewind. He has about as solid a take on Vimes as anyone does, but he seems to be the most difficult character for almost everyone to describe to their satisfaction. Old-Thin-Eastwood definitely works for me more than Peter-Postelthwaite, but I would like to see him draw Vimes with Pete in mind just for a change. And because Pterry asked.

Kidby drew a picture of young Granny Weatherwax as she was in Lords and Ladies, and holy gently caress balls is it amazing. The comment by Prattchet is that you can see it's her, by her eyes. And Kidby really puts this fiery glint in there. He nailed her look. And Nanny's. Magrat is kinda meh for me.

And while Kidby didn't illustrate it, here is Postelthwaite-Vimes, from "Where is my Cow?"

I think Richard E Grant has a pretty good look for Vimes.

Mister Roboto
Jun 15, 2009

I SWING BY AUNT MAY's
FOR A SHOWER AND A
BITE, MOST NATURAL
THING IN THE WORLD,
ASSUMING SHE'S
NOT HOME...

...AND I
FIND HER IN BED
WITH MY
FATHER, AND THE
TWO OF THEM
ARE...ARE...

...AAAAAAAAUUUUGH!

rejutka posted:

Yes, yes he is.

Hispanic! At The Disco
Dec 25, 2011

rejutka posted:

Motherfucking yes!

For some reason, I've always pictured Vimes looking like Man at Arms from the He-Man cartoon, only with less goofy armour.

Doctor Hix may be a relatively new character, but I've always imagined him as Rowan Atkinson as in Blackadder II.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
I recently watched the fairly recent BBC Dirk Gently miniseries (written/produced by Howard Overman of Misfits fame, and tldr it's really friggin' great) and holy poo poo, the guy who plays Dirk - Stephen Mangan - has got the exactly perfect look and perpetually-ready "oh shi- LEG IT!" attitude that would make the Best Rincewind.

Seriously check it out, even if you're not a big Douglas Adams fan it's a fantastic 4 hours and I'd say better than the Pratchett adaptations bar Hogfather.

Iacen
Mar 19, 2009

Si vis pacem, para bellum

I had no idea they had made a Dirk Gently mini-series :aaa:

Is it on DVD yet or has it only just been aired?

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

Rincewind will always sound like a much younger Eric Idle to me.

And on the subject, the first Discworld game on the PC/PSX was insanely difficult. Anyone complete that thing without a guide?

Pesky Splinter
Feb 16, 2011

A worried pug.
No, I don't think so, unless they literally tried everything on everyone everywhere. The dialogue was hilarious though, so it was worth trying everything with everyone.

And it was actually my first foray into the Discworld series - my Dad had read all the books up til that point, and borrowed the game off one of his friends for me and my sister to play. And then I borrowed Guards! Guards! off him, and that was that. :unsmith:

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

I expect you'd have to be really patient to put up with That doesn't work several thousand times.

It still amuses me Terry acknowledged how bloody tough it was in Discworld 2's user manual.

Dr Snofeld
Apr 30, 2009

SeanBeansShako posted:

I expect you'd have to be really patient to put up with That doesn't work several thousand times.

It still amuses me Terry acknowledged how bloody tough it was in Discworld 2's user manual.

Discworld 2 at least had more unique "that doesn't work" phrases. And better graphics. It seemed to get the Bursar and Dean mixed up entirely, though. That game's Archchancellor, though apparently a generic one, has become my mental voice for Ridcully.

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

Dr Snofeld posted:

Discworld 2 at least had more unique "that doesn't work" phrases. And better graphics. It seemed to get the Bursar and Dean mixed up entirely, though. That game's Archchancellor, though apparently a generic one, has become my mental voice for Ridcully.

I quite liked the music better in Discworld 2, even the cheesy musical numbers.

I'm pretty sure the Archchancellor had the same voice actor for both games.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
Speaking of Ridcully, I feel like he's had some of the coolest, very-subtle character growth of any minor character. At first I don't think Terry was sure what he wanted him to be, then he's a very un-wizzardly wizard that loves hunting and such, and then you get the big reveal about his youth and that he was in love with Esme and it's like... that's pretty cool, man.

rejutka
May 28, 2004

by zen death robot

precision posted:

Speaking of Ridcully, I feel like he's had some of the coolest, very-subtle character growth of any minor character. At first I don't think Terry was sure what he wanted him to be, then he's a very un-wizzardly wizard that loves hunting and such, and then you get the big reveal about his youth and that he was in love with Esme and it's like... that's pretty cool, man.

Nah. Ridcully is the first arch-chancellor in ages that has survived. He comes across as an angry, shouty lunatic that will haul off at the slightest provocation. After a while, you realize that he does that up to the point of needing someone in charge to listen and, look, he's already doing that and so on. He is the Vetinari of magic*.

* He is. His bailiwick is just a smaller purview. Also, he comes across different.

Mister Roboto
Jun 15, 2009

I SWING BY AUNT MAY's
FOR A SHOWER AND A
BITE, MOST NATURAL
THING IN THE WORLD,
ASSUMING SHE'S
NOT HOME...

...AND I
FIND HER IN BED
WITH MY
FATHER, AND THE
TWO OF THEM
ARE...ARE...

...AAAAAAAAUUUUGH!
Yeah, it's subtle (until Ponder flat out says it later on in the series) but Ridcully is not stupid, he's just like a drill sergeant or old British general: keep everyone in line by constantly screaming at them even when you're wrong. ESPECIALLY when you're wrong, because they'll still agree to everything you say and everyone stays the course.

Tardigrade
Jul 13, 2012

Half arthropod, half marshmallow, all cute.

Mister Roboto posted:

Ridcully is not stupid, he's just like a drill sergeant or old British general: keep everyone in line by constantly screaming at them even when you're wrong.

Or an Oxford don with the volume set to maximum.

It's not just Ridcully, but all the UU wizards as well who got a lot of characterization as Discworld hit its stride. Consider Equal Rites and (especially) Sourcery, where the wizards are essentially disposable, magic-happy spellslingers.

Mister Roboto
Jun 15, 2009

I SWING BY AUNT MAY's
FOR A SHOWER AND A
BITE, MOST NATURAL
THING IN THE WORLD,
ASSUMING SHE'S
NOT HOME...

...AND I
FIND HER IN BED
WITH MY
FATHER, AND THE
TWO OF THEM
ARE...ARE...

...AAAAAAAAUUUUGH!

Tardigrade posted:

Or an Oxford don with the volume set to maximum.

It's not just Ridcully, but all the UU wizards as well who got a lot of characterization as Discworld hit its stride. Consider Equal Rites and (especially) Sourcery, where the wizards are essentially disposable, magic-happy spellslingers.

That was when Pratchett still was going for pure fantasy-parody instead of fantasy CULTURAL parody, where his true genius lay.

Dr Snofeld
Apr 30, 2009

SeanBeansShako posted:

I quite liked the music better in Discworld 2, even the cheesy musical numbers.

For the benefit of those who haven't played:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fczjCi73So8

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."

Dr Snofeld posted:

For the benefit of those who haven't played:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fczjCi73So8

Oh hey, voices from Rob Brydon before he was famous? Cool!

Big Bad Beetleborg
Apr 8, 2007

Things may come to those who wait...but only the things left by those who hustle.

The_Doctor posted:

Oh hey, voices from Rob Brydon before he was famous? Cool!

Yep and he absofuckinglutely hated it; says in his autobiography that it drove him spare recording it.

Mecca-Benghazi
Mar 31, 2012

I want that game. :stare:

I hadn't heard of the UA miniseries. Sounds exciting.

About to start Sourcery. Apparently it's not that good, but I liked Pterry's early stuff despite popular opinion, so maybe I'll enjoy this one too. :shobon:

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

Dead Alice posted:

Yep and he absofuckinglutely hated it; says in his autobiography that it drove him spare recording it.

He did voice acting for Discworld Noir touhgh, which is also a really good game.

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

Alhazred posted:

He did voice acting for Discworld Noir touhgh, which is also a really good game.

The best one really, as it had its own (slightly original) story. I liked the first two games but not a big fan of several plots of the book vaguely mashed together motiff they had.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Big Bad Beetleborg
Apr 8, 2007

Things may come to those who wait...but only the things left by those who hustle.

Alhazred posted:

Welp, that's what I get for not fact checking. It was indeed Noir he was referring to.