Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The Prong Song
Sep 7, 2002

WHITE
DRIVES
MATTER

discstickers posted:

Finally got my order confirmation from Ford for my Focus ST. And I'm getting a GoPro HD.

If you are looking at the HERO2, a word of warning: the microphone on the HERO2 is "more sensitive" than on the HERO (most of the footage you see on Youtube, etc. is a HERO) and wind noise completely drowns everything else out above about 30 MPH if the camera is mounted outside.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheGoatTrick
Aug 1, 2002

Semi-aquatic personification of unstoppable douchery
Not a new car, but The Truth About Cars has an awesome 5-part article on the development and production of the Lexus LFA:

http://www.thetruthaboutcars.com/2012/07/the-making-of-the-lexus-lfa-supercar-an-inside-report-in-5-chapters/

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

hedge posted:

Not a new car, but The Truth About Cars has an awesome 5-part article on the development and production of the Lexus LFA:

http://www.thetruthaboutcars.com/2012/07/the-making-of-the-lexus-lfa-supercar-an-inside-report-in-5-chapters/

Appendix A: Nothing Left In Budget For Styling

OXBALLS DOT COM
Sep 11, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Young Orc

InitialDave posted:

Speaking of the Focus, the "economy" model on this side of the Atlantic is a 1-litre - but you can have it with 125bhp.

I remember when a turbocharged 100bhp per litre out the factory was :supaburn: territory for a high-end, no-holds-barred performance model. Now significantly more than that is "Yeah, well, seemed like the best way to meet our efficiency targets".

Not so much the specific output per se (there are some ludicrously strong older engines out there that have been shown to cope with taking this to silly levels), more that it's a normal, basic, cheap car. Makes me go :stare: a bit.

Edit: Note that the full engine, with ancillaries weighs 215lbs. Jesus Christ.

Normally I start rolling my eyes when people start obsessing about specific output, since it's an utterly meaningless number, but weight isn't. 215 lbs is seriously light. That's like air-cooled VW levels.

But, of course, I've heard an aluminum GM small block clocks in around 180 lbs with cranks/rods/pistons and can easily put out 400+ hp. Though I'm not sure what's included in the above figure and what something like that would weigh in a comparable configuration. Wild guess 500+ lbs?

OXBALLS DOT COM fucked around with this message at 01:52 on Jul 15, 2012

Warcabbit
Apr 26, 2008

Wedge Regret
Focus ST Performance Academy? After examining the BR-Z, I'm still going to get the ST. I played with the simulator they had at the New York International Auto Show. It was fun... but really bad. I'm interested in anything anyone's had to say about it.

coolskillrex remix
Jan 1, 2007

gorsh

Sigma X posted:

If you are looking at the HERO2, a word of warning: the microphone on the HERO2 is "more sensitive" than on the HERO (most of the footage you see on Youtube, etc. is a HERO) and wind noise completely drowns everything else out above about 30 MPH if the camera is mounted outside.

All go pro mics like plastic forks on chalk boards. It provides a vague record of what sounds may have been happening that day, meaning 99% of it is a god awful clacking noise of the plastic case around the mic

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Warcabbit posted:

Focus ST Performance Academy? After examining the BR-Z, I'm still going to get the ST. I played with the simulator they had at the New York International Auto Show. It was fun... but really bad. I'm interested in anything anyone's had to say about it.
Ford's running events in like five cities where you get to basically autocross an ST. It was pretty limited in that they specifically tell you not to shift out of second (except when starting, obviously). You start on one track to get familiar with the car - maybe 20 second laps at most, and you get two laps. Then they take you to a slightly smaller track - 30ish seconds long (the guy who designed the track was hitting 27.6, I got 30.9 on my faster lap) - where you get two more laps. From that short bit of driving, the shifter felt nice, the clutch was really easy, and the seats are really comfortable and supportive. Steering feels good, and braking is strong. The Active Sound Symposer is a nice touch and really comes out as you get on the throttle, though the car is pretty quiet from the outside (nice low exhaust note, but not terribly loud). I couldn't hear the turbo at all, which was disappointing. I went with a buddy whose last car was a e46 ZHP and he came out of it impressed, as well. I'm horribly excited for this car, and really ope the delay for the HIDs doesn't make a big difference.

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

I'm a terrible forums poster with terrible opinions.

Here's a cat fucking a squid.

InitialDave posted:

I remember when a turbocharged 100bhp per litre out the factory was :supaburn: territory for a high-end, no-holds-barred performance model. Now significantly more than that is "Yeah, well, seemed like the best way to meet our efficiency targets".

Check out the old Micra R - 108hp out of a 900cc 4 cylinder in 1988. Hardly an economy model or volume seller of course but still impressive.

Billy Zane
Jun 24, 2003

Listen to your friend Billy Zane. He's a cool dude.

Endless Mike posted:

Ford's running events in like five cities where you get to basically autocross an ST. It was pretty limited in that they specifically tell you not to shift out of second (except when starting, obviously). You start on one track to get familiar with the car - maybe 20 second laps at most, and you get two laps. Then they take you to a slightly smaller track - 30ish seconds long (the guy who designed the track was hitting 27.6, I got 30.9 on my faster lap) - where you get two more laps. From that short bit of driving, the shifter felt nice, the clutch was really easy, and the seats are really comfortable and supportive. Steering feels good, and braking is strong. The Active Sound Symposer is a nice touch and really comes out as you get on the throttle, though the car is pretty quiet from the outside (nice low exhaust note, but not terribly loud). I couldn't hear the turbo at all, which was disappointing. I went with a buddy whose last car was a e46 ZHP and he came out of it impressed, as well. I'm horribly excited for this car, and really ope the delay for the HIDs doesn't make a big difference.

Only four laps max? Do they allow walk-on attendees?

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Billy Zane posted:

Only four laps max? Do they allow walk-on attendees?

They let some of the faster people go extra laps to see if they could beat the best times, but yeah, only four laps, otherwise, unfortunately. They were allowing walk ons.

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.

Cream_Filling posted:

Normally I start rolling my eyes when people start obsessing about specific output, since it's an utterly meaningless number, but weight isn't.
I don't worry about it too much, but I don't regard it as completely irrelevant either. The smaller swept volume means smaller bore, shorter stroke, and makes it easier to reduce the weight. The latter doesn't happen in isolation. It's a useful shorthand for illustrating how far they're managing to push things with what you can have from a reliable, factory engine.

You can argue that 0-60 times or standing quarters are meaningless numbers, because they don't tell you how fast a car would make it on a point-to-point road course, but they're not. They're an isolated characteristic that shows one aspect of performance.

I think the problem is that too many hot hatch idiots try the "Yeah, well, I've got 100bhp per litre" card as some kind of overall performance argument, ignoring that this means they've got 160bhp, and the car with the 45bhp per litre V8 they're mocking still has 350. Seems to be more of an American trend. Over here, it's more of an interesting sidenote that only really matters when you get things like paying reduced road tax for your "more environmentally friendly" RX-7, because they didn't include a modifier for rotaries or forced induction.

dissss posted:

Check out the old Micra R - 108hp out of a 900cc 4 cylinder in 1988. Hardly an economy model or volume seller of course but still impressive.
Isn't that the compound charged engine that they homologated for rallying, though? Daihatsu had the GTti Charade, too, but as you said, they're not really "regular" cars.

Warcabbit
Apr 26, 2008

Wedge Regret
How was the low-end on the ST? I have some fun situations involving stop signs on on-ramps where I have come to really enjoy the torque of my Camry. How did the rear end feel? The simulation had it pretty tight, but you never know with these things.

Throatwarbler
Nov 17, 2008

by vyelkin

Cream_Filling posted:

Normally I start rolling my eyes when people start obsessing about specific output, since it's an utterly meaningless number, but weight isn't. 215 lbs is seriously light. That's like air-cooled VW levels.

But, of course, I've heard an aluminum GM small block clocks in around 180 lbs with cranks/rods/pistons and can easily put out 400+ hp. Though I'm not sure what's included in the above figure and what something like that would weigh in a comparable configuration. Wild guess 500+ lbs?

I took a picture of it at the Beijing auto show last months.

The engine block is 8" x 11".

GMPP has weights of their engines on their catalogue, aftermarket engines don't usually come with exhaust manifolds which are a big part of the weight.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22
My definition of ancillaries would include pumps, intake and exhaust, belts, plugs etc.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Warcabbit posted:

How was the low-end on the ST? I have some fun situations involving stop signs on on-ramps where I have come to really enjoy the torque of my Camry. How did the rear end feel? The simulation had it pretty tight, but you never know with these things.
The torque curve is basically flat from 1750 to 5000 rpm with its peak of 270 ft-lbs. at 2500 and holding there for a bit. You won't have any problems there. The rear seemed planted, but they had the traction control on and I could definitely feel it kicking in, so I don't know how indicative that really is.

I was also disappointed by the lack of a gauge sweep on start. I *may* have stalled out once or twice.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

actually, yeah, I am a little mad

Throatwarbler posted:

aftermarket engines don't usually come with exhaust manifolds which are a big part of the weight.

Really? I wouldn't have thought factory short headers would be more than a dozen pounds each.

e: from the LFA article:
"The torque band of some engines is so peaky that it can do double duty as a Jayne Mansfield look-alike. Dyno the LFA, and it will draw a diagram as flat as a Japanese beauty: 90 percent of the LFA’s peak torque is available from 3,700 rpm all the way to the rev limiter. In this case, flat definitely is the sexier choice."
:rolleyes: First the racial stereotyping, then the peak torque from an astonishingly low 3700. Despite the so-so writing, the article is worth reading.

kimbo305 fucked around with this message at 08:10 on Jul 15, 2012

Bob NewSCART
Feb 1, 2012

Outstanding afternoon. "I've often said there's nothing better for the inside of a man than the outside of a horse."

Always wondered why the LFA is so loving expensive despite not being as impressive as the price tag commands. It is one of the best looking supercars out though.

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.

Throatwarbler posted:

I took a picture of it at the Beijing auto show last months.

The engine block is 8" x 11"
This is why I'd be interested in it for going in a Panda - the Fiat FIRE unit is 16" long from the rear face to the fitted front pulley, and the Panda engine bay doesn't have much more width for anything larger. There are very few engines that small - luckily, Fiat now use the FIRE in 1.4 and 16v/turbo configurations, do there are more powerful options, but if not for that, I'd be interested in the first of these being written off so I could get one to play with. Same with putting it in a Suzuki Cappuccino.

kimbo305 posted:

:rolleyes: First the racial stereotyping, then the peak torque from an astonishingly low 3700. Despite the so-so writing, the article is worth reading.
Actually, the racial stereotyping is correct in this case - traditional Japanese expectations for a woman in polite society wearing a kimono have always been that she should maintain a relatively straight profile, rather than any kind of hourglass figure

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

actually, yeah, I am a little mad

InitialDave posted:

Actually, the racial stereotyping is correct in this case - traditional Japanese expectations for a woman in polite society wearing a kimono have always been that she should maintain a relatively straight profile, rather than any kind of hourglass figure

Without any context, he pits Japanese 'beauties' against Jayne Mansfield. Objectifying women's shapes just to talk about the engine power profiles was pretty unnecessary.

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.
I wasn't intending to deflect criticism of TTAC's writing. I would have included a Swiss Toni reference too, but I didn't think non-Brits would get it.

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

look, racial stereotypes, objectification of women, and lovely journalism aside, I think we can all agree (with the exception of Vivec, there's always got to be an exception), that the Lexus LFA looks like a bag of smashed assholes.

OXBALLS DOT COM
Sep 11, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Young Orc
Well, it basically looks like a 90s Nissan with a bad body kit.

Samu
Jan 11, 2010

The only thing I hate more than hippie neo-liberal fascists and anarchists are the hypocrite fat cat suits they grow up to become.
Not really a new car but I drove a Fiat 500 Abarth today after work and I'm absolutely in love with the thing. It's a little turbocharged go kart, and I love the sheer ridiculousness of the car itself. It's like one of the little woodland creatures in South Park. It looks harmless and cute but it has guts for such a small car.

The only problem I have is trying to find one for a decent price. I could justify spending $24 000, but all the dealerships here only have models that are fully decked out and selling for $30 000. I don't want the painted wheels, racing stripes, leather seats, sunroof ect. All I want for options is Sat Nav and A/C. But since all the dealerships only have one in stock, of course it has all the options. It's a shame too because I have never had so much fun driving a car since I first drove my dad's old M3, and it should be in my price range but there just aren't any in town.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

If you don't want to take delivery from dealer stock, and you don't care about paying approximately MSRP, you can get the car built for you, or get the dealer to get a car allocated that matches your spec. It just takes more time. Ask the dealer.

Elephanthead
Sep 11, 2008

Toilet Rascal
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Fiat-500-Abarth-Abarth-/120950152086?pt=US_Cars_Trucks&hash=item1c2930db96#ht_500wt_1182

Here you go buy this one.

fknlo
Jul 6, 2009

Fun Shoe

Samu posted:

Not really a new car but I drove a Fiat 500 Abarth today after work and I'm absolutely in love with the thing. It's a little turbocharged go kart, and I love the sheer ridiculousness of the car itself. It's like one of the little woodland creatures in South Park. It looks harmless and cute but it has guts for such a small car.

The only problem I have is trying to find one for a decent price. I could justify spending $24 000, but all the dealerships here only have models that are fully decked out and selling for $30 000. I don't want the painted wheels, racing stripes, leather seats, sunroof ect. All I want for options is Sat Nav and A/C. But since all the dealerships only have one in stock, of course it has all the options. It's a shame too because I have never had so much fun driving a car since I first drove my dad's old M3, and it should be in my price range but there just aren't any in town.

I want to drive the Abarth but I'm honestly not sure if I could even justify shelling out $24,000 for it. I'll be out test driving cars tomorrow and a dealer actually has a few in stock so maybe it will blow me away?

Cocoa Crispies
Jul 20, 2001

Vehicular Manslaughter!

Pillbug

Vivec posted:

Always wondered why the LFA is so loving expensive despite not being as impressive as the price tag commands.
Because they figured they'd sell them all at that price (they did). They could have probably charged twice as much.

CornHolio
May 20, 2001

Toilet Rascal
I ordered a Ford Fiesta 12 weeks ago and it has yet to come in. Originally it was supposed to take 6-8 weeks but at this point we've blown through about four ETA dates.

The dealership says they still have 7-12 as the ETA but that's obviously not going to happen.

What the hell?

Thwomp
Apr 10, 2003

BA-DUHHH

Grimey Drawer

CornHolio posted:

I ordered a Ford Fiesta 12 weeks ago and it has yet to come in. Originally it was supposed to take 6-8 weeks but at this point we've blown through about four ETA dates.

The dealership says they still have 7-12 as the ETA but that's obviously not going to happen.

What the hell?

This is what I do at work. Bitch and moan at and about Ford for blowing ETAs. Did you order a 2013?

What likely happened was a combination of the following:
1) MY13 Fiesta production didn't start up until 6/4. So right off the bat, you wouldn't be getting your car at least until after 6/4. Of course the dealer wouldn't tell you this.
2) Ford's been big on quality holds of late. I don't know how many changes they made for MY13 but it's likely that there were enough to warrant at least a slow build up to full production.
3) The plant went down for two weeks (7/2 and 7/9) so if your Fiesta was built between 6/4 and 7/2 and not shipped, it's probably just been sitting out at the plant in Mexico waiting for the plant to re-open so it can ship getting a tan.

OR

1a) It's stuck at some second-hell distribution ramp because Ford's barely keeping pace with all the inventory they're moving. One ramp in Colorado has been so backlogged that for 3 months they've had 2-3000 vehicles just sitting around waiting to ship. And they've only had capacity to move about 200 a day. And more units keep rolling in. Do the math.

CornHolio
May 20, 2001

Toilet Rascal

Thwomp posted:

This is what I do at work. Bitch and moan at and about Ford for blowing ETAs. Did you order a 2013?

What likely happened was a combination of the following:
1) MY13 Fiesta production didn't start up until 6/4. So right off the bat, you wouldn't be getting your car at least until after 6/4. Of course the dealer wouldn't tell you this.
2) Ford's been big on quality holds of late. I don't know how many changes they made for MY13 but it's likely that there were enough to warrant at least a slow build up to full production.
3) The plant went down for two weeks (7/2 and 7/9) so if your Fiesta was built between 6/4 and 7/2 and not shipped, it's probably just been sitting out at the plant in Mexico waiting for the plant to re-open so it can ship getting a tan.

OR

1a) It's stuck at some second-hell distribution ramp because Ford's barely keeping pace with all the inventory they're moving. One ramp in Colorado has been so backlogged that for 3 months they've had 2-3000 vehicles just sitting around waiting to ship. And they've only had capacity to move about 200 a day. And more units keep rolling in. Do the math.

Holy hell it sounds like a nightmare. :psyduck:

My dealership originally ordered it as a 2012. I think they didn't know that Ford had stopped taking orders for them or something, and the order wouldn't take, and it took them awhile to figure out why. I'm assuming there was some delay because of that as well.

Thwomp
Apr 10, 2003

BA-DUHHH

Grimey Drawer

CornHolio posted:

Holy hell it sounds like a nightmare. :psyduck:

My dealership originally ordered it as a 2012. I think they didn't know that Ford had stopped taking orders for them or something, and the order wouldn't take, and it took them awhile to figure out why. I'm assuming there was some delay because of that as well.

Sounds more like they did try to get it in as a 2012.

Ford has this peculiar habit of establishing an order cut off date but then still allowing orders to be placed (will-try) after the date has passed.

Will you get your order or will you have to re-place it as a next model year? I DON'T KNOW, TELL ME MORE FORD....

:bang: followed by :suicide:

So your dealer thought they had a decent chance at getting a 2012. Then Ford came back a few weeks later and said it'd have to be a 2013.

sbaldrick
Jul 19, 2006
Driven by Hate

Samu posted:

stop trying to get me to buy one, I pretend it doesn't exist so I won't.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

CornHolio posted:

What the hell?

Bitch to your dealer and get some free accessories.

Seriously.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

I'm still waiting for my Focus ST to get built, and I don't know when production starts (though August 6 is supposedly the date), and there's delays on the ST3 package due to the HIDs, so at this point, if I get the car this year, I'll be happy.

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

So BMW has confirmed the wagon is on for another year, and also just confirmed they are bringing their 4 cylinder diesel over. Could it be I can get a manual wagon with a diesel?

Probably not.

discstickers
Jul 29, 2004

Endless Mike posted:

I'm still waiting for my Focus ST to get built, and I don't know when production starts (though August 6 is supposedly the date), and there's delays on the ST3 package due to the HIDs, so at this point, if I get the car this year, I'll be happy.

Where did you hear this? Mine's an ST3 too.

Bovril Delight posted:

So BMW has confirmed the wagon is on for another year, and also just confirmed they are bringing their 4 cylinder diesel over. Could it be I can get a manual wagon with a diesel?

Probably not.

I read somewhere (C&D?) that the F30 wagons would be auto-only stateside.

Guinness
Sep 15, 2004

discstickers posted:

I read somewhere (C&D?) that the F30 wagons would be auto-only stateside.

God drat it, there is/was a real chance I was going to look at an F30 328i/xi wagon with a manual as my next car, and to hang on to it for a while. Ever since I picked up my motorcycle my car has been more of a utility vehicle and I've felt less of a need to have the highest performance/sportiest variant of car. Which is not to say I don't care about performance and handling at all, just not quite as much as I used to, and the new turbo-4 motor seems like much less of a performance compromise than in the earlier "small engine" 3-series.

I love my e46 330ci, and it's pretty drat practical for something its size, but for being my "utility" vehicle it is a little bit lacking.

discstickers
Jul 29, 2004

Guinness posted:

God drat it, there is/was a real chance I was going to look at an F30 328i/xi wagon with a manual as my next car, and to hang on to it for a while. Ever since I picked up my motorcycle my car has been more of a utility vehicle and I've felt less of a need to have the highest performance/sportiest variant of car. Which is not to say I don't care about performance and handling at all, just not quite as much as I used to, and the new turbo-4 motor seems like much less of a performance compromise than in the earlier "small engine" 3-series.

I love my e46 330ci, and it's pretty drat practical for something its size, but for being my "utility" vehicle it is a little bit lacking.

Hmmm, maybe I'm full of poo poo:

http://www.caranddriver.com/news/2013-bmw-3-series-sports-wagon-news

Throatwarbler
Nov 17, 2008

by vyelkin
Just get a CTS-V wagon. Jesus Christ.

VW fags can rejoice, as the legendary 1.8T displacement is back in the Jetta/Golf, with fewer valve and less power which will hopefully make it a bit more reliable.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

The CTS is a hideous car, sorry.