Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

Oh my. I just finished 11/22/93 and it was fantastic. I stayed up until 5am because I couldn't put it down. I haven't done that in ages.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hyper from Pixie Sticks
Sep 28, 2004

ConfusedUs posted:

Oh my. I just finished 11/22/93 and it was fantastic. I stayed up until 5am because I couldn't put it down. I haven't done that in ages.
Is this where the one where he goes back in time to prevent the death of Anthony Burgess?

Asbury
Mar 23, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 6 years!
Hair Elf

crankdatbatman posted:

Misery is next, about twenty pages in and, after reading Night Shift, I feel like it should be coming to an end in the next thirty pages or so, but it's not.

So far, so good, though.

I just got finished re-reading Misery, as it happens.Haven't touched it in maybe ten years, pulled it down off the shelf as a bathroom book, ended up blowing through it in about a day.

Whatever criticisms you can level against King (and there're a lot, no argument), the man can write people so vividly--so truthfully, shames and neuroses and all--that you come to think of them as people, not as characters, and Paul is one of the best he's ever written.

iostream.h
Mar 14, 2006
I want your happy place to slap you as it flies by.

Semprini posted:

Is this where the one where he goes back in time to prevent the death of Anthony Burgess?
Now that's just silly, why would anyone try to prevent Anthony Burgess from dying?

Just kidding, I loved Pontypool.

jackpot
Aug 31, 2004

First cousin to the Black Rabbit himself. Such was Woundwort's monument...and perhaps it would not have displeased him.<

Drimble Wedge posted:

Forgive me if it's been mentioned, but James Smythe over at The Guardian is rereading and reviewing all of King's works in order of publication (this link is for Carrie).
This is pretty cool; a lot of these books haven't been reviewed in years, it's neat to get a fresh take on them.

Here are his other reviews so far:

Salem's Lot

The Shining

Rage

when worlds collide
Mar 7, 2007

my feet firmly planted
on what, I do not know

jackpot posted:

This is pretty cool; a lot of these books haven't been reviewed in years, it's neat to get a fresh take on them.

Here are his other reviews so far:

Salem's Lot

The Shining

Rage

Oh sweet. Thanks for the reminder. He had posted that it was going to be two weeks before he did number 3, and I had forgotten in the meantime. Now I have two to catch up on. :dance:

A HUNGRY MOUTH
Nov 3, 2006

date of birth: 02/05/88
manufacturer: mazda
model/year: 2008 mazda6
sexuality: straight, bi-curious
peircings: pusspuss

Nap Ghost

Farbtoner posted:

He craves unfiltered Lucky Strikes so badly that he has to clench his fists until crescent-shaped marks are dug into his palms. Ayuh.

Probated? Looks like Farbtoner has been getting up to didoes.

jackpot
Aug 31, 2004

First cousin to the Black Rabbit himself. Such was Woundwort's monument...and perhaps it would not have displeased him.<

Farbtoner posted:

He craves unfiltered Lucky Strikes so badly that he has to clench his fists until crescent-shaped marks are dug into his palms. Ayuh.
I was so disappointed when I visited my wife's family in New Hampshire for the first time, I didn't hear a single person say "ayuh." Maybe I've got to go all the way north into Maine.

Jealous Cow
Apr 4, 2002

by Fluffdaddy

jackpot posted:

I was so disappointed when I visited my wife's family in New Hampshire for the first time, I didn't hear a single person say "ayuh." Maybe I've got to go all the way north into Maine.

Gotta go so far up Maine way you climb out of King's mouth, causing him to make an "ayuh" sound.

Ornamented Death
Jan 25, 2006

Pew pew!

jackpot posted:

I was so disappointed when I visited my wife's family in New Hampshire for the first time,

Hopefully your wife never reads this...

That Damn Satyr
Nov 4, 2008

A connoisseur of fine junk

Rev. Bleech_ posted:

Can we please stop arguing about Dean Koontz and start talking about something we (hopefully) all have in common: a shared loathing of John Saul

See, the reason I love Saul is that his writing is SO bad, it makes the worst of King look like it was divinely inspired. I mean, If you're ugly just have uglier friends and suddenly you're a beautyqueen.

jackpot
Aug 31, 2004

Ornamented Death posted:

Hopefully your wife never reads this...
Oh she knows, but it's ok: I more than made up for it in my enthusiasm when I actually heard someone in the Boston airport say "pahk the cah." That made my day.

Skunny Wundy
Jul 9, 2012

3Romeo posted:

I just got finished re-reading Misery, as it happens.Haven't touched it in maybe ten years, pulled it down off the shelf as a bathroom book, ended up blowing through it in about a day.

Whatever criticisms you can level against King (and there're a lot, no argument), the man can write people so vividly--so truthfully, shames and neuroses and all--that you come to think of them as people, not as characters, and Paul is one of the best he's ever written.

Misery is fantastic, definitely one of my favorites (nothing beats The Long Walk for me). The best thing about it - and this isn't a knock on it in any way - is that, if you want, you can skip over about a third of the book and finish a rereading in a couple of hours, depending on which story you're interested in reading. Annie Wilkes could very possibly be my favorite book/movie villain of all time, too.

King is great at getting inside the heads of his characters (unless they're young women, then it can get kind of painful to read at times). I think Paul is one of his best characters because so much of him was autobiographical; you should check out On Writing if you haven't already, it goes into the writing process of Misery a little.

when worlds collide
Mar 7, 2007

my feet firmly planted
on what, I do not know
I finally started on 11/22 yesterday and it's an enjoyable read. I'm about halfway through. Call me strange but reading this makes me think that he's really had fun writing this one. Granted, I haven't read Under the Dome yet, but I would be willing to say that he had more fun writing 11/22 than any other post-accident novel.

I hope the second half doesn't let me down.

He's also still obsessed with cigarettes, but I'm very confused because it's almost like there's a tone shift with them as a plot device. He sounds happy to not smoke anymore now.

I don't trust a man who has no upper lip. :colbert:

Also- glasspack mufflers (wtf are those anyway), Hearst shifters. Necessary elements in any King vehicle. Hardee har. :downs:

Jealous Cow
Apr 4, 2002

by Fluffdaddy

when worlds collide posted:

I finally started on 11/22 yesterday and it's an enjoyable read. I'm about halfway through. Call me strange but reading this makes me think that he's really had fun writing this one. Granted, I haven't read Under the Dome yet, but I would be willing to say that he had more fun writing 11/22 than any other post-accident novel.

I hope the second half doesn't let me down.

He's also still obsessed with cigarettes, but I'm very confused because it's almost like there's a tone shift with them as a plot device. He sounds happy to not smoke anymore now.

I don't trust a man who has no upper lip. :colbert:

Also- glasspack mufflers (wtf are those anyway), Hearst shifters. Necessary elements in any King vehicle. Hardee har. :downs:

Glasspacks (sometimes called cherrybombs) are what rednecks put on their trucks/camaros to make them sound "badass, yup". They are basically just straight open exhausts.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LWu6r6sTcFg

when worlds collide
Mar 7, 2007

my feet firmly planted
on what, I do not know

Jealous Cow posted:

Glasspacks (sometimes called cherrybombs) are what rednecks put on their trucks/camaros to make them sound "badass, yup". They are basically just straight open exhausts.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LWu6r6sTcFg

Oh sweet, thank you. I figured it was something like that. At least I know what a chainfall is. I do hate that noise, although you don't hear it much anymore.

Also I need to correct myself, in my haste I called his cigarette obsession a plot device, which is incorrect. More of a plot affectation. I woulda just edited the post but you quoted me, so. :D

Canuckistan
Jan 14, 2004

I'm the greatest thing since World War III.

Soiled Meat
Speaking of King characters, would you consider the Henry character in Black House to be a Mary-Sue? He seems too perfect to be anything but a character.

H.P. Shivcraft
Mar 17, 2008

STAY UNRULY, YOU HEARTLESS MONSTERS!

Canuckistan posted:

Speaking of King characters, would you consider the Henry character in Black House to be a Mary-Sue? He seems too perfect to be anything but a character.

To me "Mary Sue" (despite whatever the internet says) still carries connotations of an authorial self-insert, so I wouldn't apply exactly that label. Unless King or Straub fantasize about being blind voice artist.

That said he is incredibly unbelievable as a human being. Back when Black House first came out, I remember a few readers on the SK mailing list I subscribed to (yes really) who claimed they were actually creeped out by Henry's nearly supernatural talent/omnicompotence. Personally, I was just expecting him to be revealed as, like, a literal angel in disguise or something.

Asbury
Mar 23, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 6 years!
Hair Elf

H.P. Shivcraft posted:

That said he is incredibly unbelievable as a human being.

That whole book is full of unbelievable characters, which is part of its charm, I think. Besides Henry, you have a biker gang who brews their own beer and talks post-modern philosophy, a geriatric villain so absurdly horrifying he loops back around to funny, and a protagonist that might as well be named Timothy Olyphant.

I really love the hell out of that book because almost every part of it--from the narration to the plot--is a really volatile mix between King's philosophies and Straub's odd experimentation. The characters are a similar blend and, while they aren't exactly realistic, they're certainly interesting.

Kind Milkman
Sep 3, 2011

Indeed.
Black House is an odd book for me. It has the best and worst of both King and Straub in it, with some very interesting characters and generally good writing. What gets me every time is the setting. The small town is loosely based on one that Straub knows from his time in Wisconsin, and it matches the town I'm from almost perfectly. The hill, the trailers and run down housing at the bottom by the river, the nursing home and school at the top, and the winding back road where the main character lives. The problem is, I lived more or less exactly where he does. Straub's old family cabin/summer home thing is just down the street.

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

I just finished The Long Walk for the first time.

Great book. But the ending confused me. I re read it twice and I don't get it.

Did Stebbins really die? Or did Garraty die and that bit at the end with the dark figure was a 'light at the end of the tunnel' kind of scene?

This book kept me up way too late tonight so maybe I'm just tired and missing the obvious here.

Stroth
Mar 31, 2007

All Problems Solved

ConfusedUs posted:

Did Stebbins really die? Or did Garraty die and that bit at the end with the dark figure was a 'light at the end of the tunnel' kind of scene?

Probably and maybe. Or he just went crazy. Either could fit the ending.

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe
My own feeling on the Long Walk's ending is that The main character is neither dying nor going actually crazy. He's merely exhausted and is about to drop to the pavement as he falls asleep, so he's kinda sorta hallucinating like you get sometimes when sleep-deprived. He'll end up taken to a hospital after the end of the book and end up relatively fine.

That Damn Satyr
Nov 4, 2008

A connoisseur of fine junk
My own take on The Long Walk was that Stebbins died, but because Garraty was exhausted/delirious when the people surrounded him to celebrate, he died right there from the sheer exhaustion, and that was the light at the end

jackpot
Aug 31, 2004

That drat Satyr posted:

My own take on The Long Walk was that Stebbins died, but because Garraty was exhausted/delirious when the people surrounded him to celebrate, he died right there from the sheer exhaustion, and that was the light at the end
Yeah, this. Stebbins died and Garraty won, but he didn't know because he'd gone crazy/delirious. Personally I think he goes into his mad sprint and just keels over dead; that's a much better ending than "Garraty starts running, then wakes up in a hospital feeling fine then he and Jan get married."

Didn't Maine have some kind of Long Walk curse up til that point? Didn't the last winner go crazy, too?

Quinn2win
Nov 9, 2011

Foolish child of man...
After reading all this,
do you still not understand?
Been reading a lot of King, looking for suggestions on where to go next.

What I've read so far:

The Stand: Started here. Enjoyed it at the time, wouldn't go back to it now. Too long, too rapetacular.
The Shining: Holy poo poo, loved it. One of my favorite books ever, definitely my favorite King offering. Couldn't put it down.
Carrie: Could really feel King's nervousness as a new published writer shine through. A lot of the gore and shock felt like King trying desperately to keep the reader from realizing that the story was actually very simple. Not bad, though.
Salem's Lot: Generally liked it, didn't grab me as much as his other works.
IT: Liked it a ton overall, more or less totally skipped over certain already-discussed-to-death passages.
Dark Tower: There's a really good four-or-five-book series in here, stretched out to seven books. Favorite parts were Drawing of the Three and Roland's backstory.
Eyes of the Dragon: Go back to writing horror, King, fantasy does not suit you.
11/22/63: Fantastic. The only one that came really close to The Shining in terms of enjoyment.

Reluctant to read The Long Walk, it sounds too grim for me to really enjoy. What big winners am I missing out on that this list suggests?

H.P. Shivcraft
Mar 17, 2008

STAY UNRULY, YOU HEARTLESS MONSTERS!

ProfessorProf posted:

The Long Walk is probably the best Bachman book (imo), and it's King being a very tight writer, which is significant given most of his body of work. I'd recommend it, though it is a bit grim. Looking at your current list, I'd say you've covered what I would consider essential, except maybe... Pet Sematary? But if you think TLW sounds grim, then hoo-boy.

You might also wanna try the novella collection Different Seasons, or some of the other short story collections (Night Shift would be a good one, if you wanna stick with earlier King).

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

jackpot posted:

Yeah, this. Stebbins died and Garraty won, but he didn't know because he'd gone crazy/delirious. Personally I think he goes into his mad sprint and just keels over dead; that's a much better ending than "Garraty starts running, then wakes up in a hospital feeling fine then he and Jan get married."

Didn't Maine have some kind of Long Walk curse up til that point? Didn't the last winner go crazy, too?

If I remember the book right, all previous winners ended up with some kind of PTSD type stuff going on after winning the Walk. Not strictly crazy but stuff can set them off and all and they don't seem particularly happy.

jackpot
Aug 31, 2004

ProfessorProf posted:

The Stand: Started here. Enjoyed it at the time, wouldn't go back to it now. Too long, too rapetacular.
Who got raped, besides Nadine?

Oh, and Trashcan Man. Don't know how I forgot that one, jesus.

Quinn2win
Nov 9, 2011

Foolish child of man...
After reading all this,
do you still not understand?

jackpot posted:

Who got raped, besides Nadine?

Oh, and Trashcan Man. Don't know how I forgot that one, jesus.

I feel like there was some during the Captain Tripps sequence in the first third of the book? It's been a while, who knows. The whole thing with Trashcan Man and The Kid was seriously weird.

Maybe I'll pick up one of his short story collections next time I'm looking for something to read.

when worlds collide
Mar 7, 2007

my feet firmly planted
on what, I do not know
In my opinion, you can not go wrong with his short story/novella collections. Aside from maybe the Shining and one or two others, they're his best. I was only underwhelmed with one of them, and it was still worthwhile to read.

Jealous Cow
Apr 4, 2002

by Fluffdaddy

ProfessorProf posted:

I feel like there was some during the Captain Tripps sequence in the first third of the book? It's been a while, who knows. The whole thing with Trashcan Man and The Kid was seriously weird.

Maybe I'll pick up one of his short story collections next time I'm looking for something to read.

You believe that happy crappy?

iostream.h
Mar 14, 2006
I want your happy place to slap you as it flies by.

There was also some random spinster who was convinced the streets were crawling with rape gangs, she got her fathers pistol with some old rear end rounds, and killed herself when it blew up in her face.

RC and Moon Pie
May 5, 2011

ProfessorProf posted:

Reluctant to read The Long Walk, it sounds too grim for me to really enjoy. What big winners am I missing out on that this list suggests?

The Long Walk is right up there with The Shining as one of his best. It's grim, but it's not graphic (except for the incident involving Olson).

Perhaps:
- Needful Things
- Delores Claiborne could go either way. I absolutely loved his style in this one, but I know of others who hate it.
- Misery
- Different Seasons novellas. It's the one with [Rita Hayworth and] The Shawshank Redemption.

Victorkm
Nov 25, 2001

Geralds game!

Stroth
Mar 31, 2007

All Problems Solved

Victorkm posted:

Geralds game!

What? No.

Seconding the recommendation of the novellas, His writing tends to improve a lot when he's trying to keep the page count down. Most of the stuff set in Castle Rock is good. Not his best work usually, but worth reading.

Other than that... Misery, Pet Sematary, Bag of Bones, Duma Key, Firestarter (but I think I'm in minority in liking that one.) and The Green Mile. In that general order.

Stroth fucked around with this message at 04:36 on Jul 15, 2012

Victorkm
Nov 25, 2001

Stroth posted:

What? No.

Yeah don't read Geralds game. All it has is the rapey stuff.

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

I think Pet Sematary is King's scariest book.

Some of his shorts are scarier, but something about Pet Sematary terrifies the poo poo out of me.

facebook jihad
Dec 18, 2007

by R. Guyovich

That drat Satyr posted:

A bit late, but the ending had me thing for a while after I'd read it. I took it as Garraty's life basically becoming the Long Walk. Although the event was over, he had become so used to the thought of death coming at any instant and the torture of the walk that his mind could not adjust to the concept of this horrible event being over, so he just kept moving along--now imagining fictitious rivals to compete against. In essence, severe PTSD. In my reading, I picked up analogies of the suffering of daily life, ranging from trivial daily desires, sexual, and more important things such as the awaiting major life events, so an ending based on PTSD would make sense.

Also, if I remember, a lot of the past winners seemed to die themselves shortly after winning. Or they would have severe mental trauma. Regardless, it didn't sound like the prize really was worth the suffering they took.

facebook jihad fucked around with this message at 15:02 on Jul 15, 2012

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

der juicen
Aug 11, 2005

Fuck haters
I loved Insomnia and The Mist. :colbert: I think I was in the process of reading some of The Dark Tower and once I finished Insomnia I was all :aaaaa:.