Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Lain Iwakura
Aug 5, 2004

The body exists only to verify one's own existence.

Taco Defender
Team Avo has a new video up:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ifJs9qHaARk

Looks like they managed to get their hands on World Edit.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Darkman Fanpage
Jul 4, 2012

Model M posted:

Man, I used to grief minecraft back in the day. Can't stand the game on its own but back when the game was super popular my friends and I would play on free-build servers and the amount of fun that could be had from putting penises on things was amazing. The anger it induced in people was the most hilarious. It also generated quite a few in-jokes among us, like one of my friends was on the name "Surfshack Tito" and some guy up and shows "I SAW YOU SURFSHACK!" when my friend was loving something up. Another one of my friends coded a bot (actually a couple of them) that would go around super fast changing blocks into something else like flowers or mushrooms. Then there was another bot called swastibot that would build swastika flags. The bots really confused people because it was like the first bot that had been coded specifically for griefing minecraft and nobody knew what the gently caress was going on when everything slowly began changing into mushrooms.

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax
I liked to dig a huge hole, three quarters up put a layer of wool with tnt underneath. Then fill up the rest with sand once I reach the surface a perimeter of sand up to the sky. Inside that perimeter build something vulgar, then when you get the attention of people detonate the tnt, the sand all falls away, revealing your masterpiece all at once.

m2pt5
May 18, 2005

THAT GOD DAMN MOSQUITO JUST KEEPS COMING BACK
Ehh, I can't speak for anyone else, but I never particularly found griefing via hacking particularly entertaining. It's far more entertaining when you can successfully grief within the confines of the normal rules of the game.

SnafuAl
Oct 20, 2010

VR! VR! VR!
BLOODY VR!

m2pt5 posted:

Ehh, I can't speak for anyone else, but I never particularly found griefing via hacking particularly entertaining. It's far more entertaining when you can successfully grief within the confines of the normal rules of the game.

In general, I agree with this, the only exception I've seen so far being the Avolition videos where they figure out things that can't be rolled back by the admins, such as planting and bonemealing trees in cleared land.

Soulex
Apr 1, 2009

Cacati in mano e pigliati a schiaffi!

Model M posted:

Got a link not banned by GEMA (Copyright on music)?

m2pt5
May 18, 2005

SnafuAl posted:

In general, I agree with this, the only exception I've seen so far being the Avolition videos where they figure out things that can't be rolled back by the admins, such as planting and bonemealing trees in cleared land.

I have to admit that was pretty funny. Most of their stuff is pretty much "lol i hax u noob" level though.

Sereri
Sep 30, 2008

awwwrigami

Soulex posted:

Got a link not banned by GEMA (Copyright on music)?

yes?

the pizza police
Oct 8, 2009

justice delivered in 20 minutes or less

Diplomaticus posted:

So griefing Blacklight: Retribution is fun and easy with a small cash investment.

There is a cloaking device that you can buy at level 1 for 1000 zen, which is $10 USD. It has unlimited duration, with a like 5-10 second cooldown after you drop the cloak. So you can run around all over the map nearly invisible, without worrying that your cloak will drop.

There is also a combat knife, that kills in 2 hits.

You can see where this is going.

People flip their poo poo because some rear end in a top hat who takes only the lightest +run speed equipment sprints around stabbing bitches like crazy.

For an additional few USD, you can buy a thing called the Break Hammer. It's basically a tomahawk that 1-hit kills anything, and you can't revive victims. The kicker is that it can even 1-hit kill the "Hardsuit", which is like that big robotic exoskeleton from Aliens. Players have to grind kills in a round to earn credits (which reset each match) with which to buy the exoskeleton. It is expensive, but really hard to kill without anti-armor equipment.

Until an invisible crack ninja murders it with an axe and then sprints off laughing maniacally.

I've never seen so much rage in a game.

I can confirm that this is the best thing ever

A few small corrections: you can rent the cloak and hammer for 1 day at 75 cents a piece, definitely don't need to dish out the 20 dollars to permanently have the cloak and hammer, and it definitely can't 1shot the hardsuit.

Other fun facts:
~New players can't aim at all, cloak is optional if you just spec to run fast

~If you cloak up to the enemy flag carrier you can hammer him for an instant flag return

~People love you and will yell at you constantly for paying to win, feel free to hammer them while they type

~If you're hunting down a competent player, they will kill you at least 50% of the time, the vision thing shows cloaked dudes and there's a good 2 seconds after uncloak that you have to prep the hammer, if they can see you and have played any FPS before, you will die.

To wrap it up, here is a video of me hunting strangers/a friend

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DpdnBobfcyU

Nerdlord Actual
Apr 14, 2007

Awaken to your true self with Wisconsin Potatoes
Grimey Drawer

All that work to name it Apache (war)Chief and you couldn't get an In-Nuk-Chuck in there? For shame.

Infinite Monkeys
Jul 18, 2010

If you think this has a happy ending, you haven't been paying attention.

Goofa posted:

I can confirm that this is the best thing ever

A few small corrections: you can rent the cloak and hammer for 1 day at 75 cents a piece, definitely don't need to dish out the 20 dollars to permanently have the cloak and hammer, and it definitely can't 1shot the hardsuit.

Other fun facts:
~New players can't aim at all, cloak is optional if you just spec to run fast

~If you cloak up to the enemy flag carrier you can hammer him for an instant flag return

~People love you and will yell at you constantly for paying to win, feel free to hammer them while they type

~If you're hunting down a competent player, they will kill you at least 50% of the time, the vision thing shows cloaked dudes and there's a good 2 seconds after uncloak that you have to prep the hammer, if they can see you and have played any FPS before, you will die.

To wrap it up, here is a video of me hunting strangers/a friend

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DpdnBobfcyU
I tried to buy it and you have to be level 20?
e: oh wait never mind. You have to spend a minimum of £9 gently caress that

Infinite Monkeys fucked around with this message at 18:35 on Jul 10, 2012

Soulex
Apr 1, 2009

Cacati in mano e pigliati a schiaffi!

Thanks for this. This is amazing!

icantfindaname
Jul 1, 2008

m2pt5 posted:

Hacking can be tasteful if the hack is easily preventable on the part of the server operator but isn't. Like in this old counter strike video, as far as I understand it, it was pretty trivial to prevent the use of the mod they use, but for whatever reason the admins were too lazy to do it.

bucketmouse
Aug 16, 2004

we con-trol the ho-ri-zon-tal
we con-trol the verrr-ti-cal
I love that I knew exactly what that was before I clicked it.

I'm more a fan of people finding weird programming oversights that are totally legal by the game's rules (that wow raid boss who got one-shot by a ton of stacks of retaliatory damage comes to mind) but hacking can be funny too assuming it's creative enough and not just used to kick over people's virtual sandcastles ala team avolution. Of course there are exceptions that deserve it like that christian server where the admin was yelling at some guy to steal his girlfriend's credit card info. That guy deserved it.

Anyway, on the topic of funny hacking exploits, have another activeworlds thing that a friend did. His name was Pon and he was a fairly large nuisance on AW so if any oldschool 2000-era AW people recognize the name it's probably the same guy.

So activeworlds has/had a baseline selection of player models that couldn't really be barbiedolled up much during the time we played back in the 2.0 era. For some bizarre reason when you connected to a universe server your client would send your model identity as a path in cleartext. This meant with a small amount of hex editing you could appear as any object you wanted. Pon took this a step further though and realized that you could send C:/con/con as your modelpath and.. well, you get the idea. Except crashing people was really boring and would draw attention to the exploit.

So he came up with something better. He'd set his model to the null placeholder object, find a tourist actively building a house, flag himself AFK and play poltergeist. If the tourist turned their back the table they'd just built would magically move to the other side of the room. If they left their house all the furniture would pile in front of the door, forcing them to rip out a wall to get back in. The amount of completely unfocused rage this generated was amazing and he got at least one tourist to abandon their house completely doing this.

I'm assuming he still has logs but they're probably exactly what you'd imagine from the above description, so they're probably not worth posting.

E: it's worth noting that at any time the person being griefed could've held down a key to force AW to draw nametags on everyone, including Pon.

bucketmouse fucked around with this message at 23:09 on Jul 14, 2012

JfishPirate
Jun 24, 2006
I have been grossly misinformed about witches.

m2pt5 posted:

Hacking certainly isn't creative, but as long as the reactions are funny, it can be worth it.

JIRXIN does lots of videos where he just speedhacks, but the reactions he gets are hilarious and make the videos worth watching.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S2z50C6SVxY
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fi3OpWfY9S0

bucketmouse
Aug 16, 2004

we con-trol the ho-ri-zon-tal
we con-trol the verrr-ti-cal
Maybe I'm a small child but this was in related and I'm easily amused.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SPsF0zbbKhk

SpookyLizard
Feb 17, 2009

JfishPirate posted:

Hacking certainly isn't creative, but as long as the reactions are funny, it can be worth it.

JIRXIN does lots of videos where he just speedhacks, but the reactions he gets are hilarious and make the videos worth watching.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S2z50C6SVxY
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fi3OpWfY9S0

It really depends the hack per se, more than anything else. Wallhacking in counterstrike is all bland, but something inventive like playing poltergeist (in what is by all means an exploit), is hilariously entertaining.

m2pt5
May 18, 2005

bucketmouse posted:

Maybe I'm a small child but this was in related and I'm easily amused.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SPsF0zbbKhk

That is loving hilarious. I love the hell out of gags like that.

Frag Viper
May 20, 2001

Fuck that shit
I remember back when Star Wars Galaxies was around you were able to drop certain items that had solid collision.

I figured this out and placed the items at the exit to the spaceport on Corelia. Chaos ensued.

I also remember busting up an online wedding in SWG, we kept interrupting it and eventually an admin placed a temp ban on us.

Why did that game have to go the way it did? Still my favorite MMO.

Goofballs
Jun 2, 2011

Don't know if you guys are aware of twitchtv but basically its a site where people livestream games they are playing. Some of the games are pvp and some of the people who play have undeserved enormous egos. And then they put themselves on cam as well. You can probably guess where this is going. Anyhow this is footage of a clown called "cavegrafitti" who is amazing at APB in his own mind. In reality he uses some macros and cheap tricks and when he moved to another server some people made new characters to gently caress with him some more and they made this video.

I'm so sorry about the music.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nkGjFEBgjPU&feature=player_embedded

I just wish everyone could make this much of a target out of themselves

Rotten Red Rod
Mar 5, 2002

Goofballs posted:

Don't know if you guys are aware of twitchtv but basically its a site where people livestream games they are playing. Some of the games are pvp and some of the people who play have undeserved enormous egos. And then they put themselves on cam as well. You can probably guess where this is going. Anyhow this is footage of a clown called "cavegrafitti" who is amazing at APB in his own mind. In reality he uses some macros and cheap tricks and when he moved to another server some people made new characters to gently caress with him some more and they made this video.

So, a few quick questions, since I've never played APB... What macros and "cheap tricks" does he abuse? Why does he look like a brick wall? And are the people killing him over and over using macros/tricks themselves, or are they just experienced players showing him up since he's low level on this server?

BlueDestiny
Jun 18, 2011

Mega deal with it

The fact that it's halfway through 2012 and people STILL don't know how to mute players in TF2 is incredible.

That was a pretty funny though.

m2pt5
May 18, 2005

BlueDestiny posted:

The fact that it's halfway through 2012 and people STILL don't know how to mute players in TF2 is incredible.

It's a drat shame that F10 isn't bound to 'quit prompt' by default anymore. 'F10 for mute menu' was one of the better lazy griefs.

Goofballs
Jun 2, 2011

Rotten Red Rod posted:

So, a few quick questions, since I've never played APB... What macros and "cheap tricks" does he abuse? Why does he look like a brick wall? And are the people killing him over and over using macros/tricks themselves, or are they just experienced players showing him up since he's low level on this server?

The guns he's using are tap to fire. Now look at how fast he is firing. That's a macro and to anyone who has used those guns its really obvious. Cheap tricks involve stuff like hiding items enemies are trying to capture in unreachable spots by glitching them or going to abusable camp spots. The latter is possible because the map they are on is the size of the map in gta 3 and more detailed. Doing that is only for bad players who can't win fairly.

He's dressed like that because you can dress however you want in apb if you can make the costume. His costume is poo poo though

Some people can do a lot better with the designer

As for the people he's playing against, their characters are low level and his is high because he's been there a while. Level doesn't mean much in apb and they aren't abusing anything. They are just much much better than him and as we all know if someone is better at you at a game they must be cheating.

Goofballs fucked around with this message at 01:23 on Jul 15, 2012

TheSpiritFox
Jan 4, 2009

I'm just a memory, I can't give you any new information.

icantfindaname posted:

Hacking can be tasteful if the hack is easily preventable on the part of the server operator but isn't. Like in this old counter strike video, as far as I understand it, it was pretty trivial to prevent the use of the mod they use, but for whatever reason the admins were too lazy to do it.

That video is amazing.

scamtank
Feb 24, 2011

my desire to just be a FUCKING IDIOT all day long is rapidly overtaking my ability to FUNCTION

i suspect that means i'm MENTALLY ILL

TheSpiritFox posted:

That video is amazing.

I lost it when the planted bomb took flight and buzzed away like a bumblebee.

TheSpiritFox
Jan 4, 2009

scamtank posted:

I lost it when the planted bomb took flight and buzzed away like a bumblebee.

I lost it right at the beginning with the choppers and just kept laughing. I've dreamed of spawning HL2 Striders in a TF2 match for years now.

Indecisive
May 6, 2007

TheSpiritFox posted:

I lost it right at the beginning with the choppers and just kept laughing. I've dreamed of spawning HL2 Striders in a TF2 match for years now.

There's actually a map that does just that, pl_strider IIRC. The strider is like a cart but one team protects it while the other team tries to destroy it, through a ruined city type HL2 map. It was fun IMO but not many liked it for whatever reason, I doubt you'll ever find a server running it.

TheSpiritFox
Jan 4, 2009

Indecisive posted:

There's actually a map that does just that, pl_strider IIRC. The strider is like a cart but one team protects it while the other team tries to destroy it, through a ruined city type HL2 map. It was fun IMO but not many liked it for whatever reason, I doubt you'll ever find a server running it.

I more just want the joy of sewing chaos into a match where it does not in any way belong. A strider based TF2 match is not at all the same thing as 2fort with unexpected striders, manhacks, and headcrabs.

jisforjosh
Jun 6, 2006

"It's J is for...you know what? Fuck it, jizz it is"

icantfindaname posted:

How have I never seen this :stare:

On the topic of abusing something that is entirely within the confines of the game WITHOUT a script
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O4WLmdQJgw8

jisforjosh fucked around with this message at 04:45 on Jul 15, 2012

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

jisforjosh posted:

How have I never seen this :stare:

On the topic of abusing something that is entirely within the confines of the game WITHOUT a script
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O4WLmdQJgw8
How is he getting nothing but headshots :staredog:

Doc Hawkins
Jun 15, 2010

Dashing? But I'm not even moving!

The magic of the highlights reel.

(and being incredibly good)

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

Doc Hawkins posted:

The magic of the highlights reel.

(and being incredibly good)
I swear I saw him shoot somebody in the feet and get a headshot anyway. :psyduck:

icantfindaname
Jul 1, 2008

Zereth posted:

The best part in that one is where he jumps on the guy's head and lets him run around in panic for a few seconds before headshotting him.

icantfindaname
Jul 1, 2008

Zereth posted:

I swear I saw him shoot somebody in the feet and get a headshot anyway. :psyduck:

The hitboxes in CSS are hosed up like that. It's a combination of the right ping and knowing how the game works, combined with being inhumanly good. And yeah, if you fire when moving your shots go above the crosshair as if you were already having heavy recoil. Controlling it like that is ridiculous though.

icantfindaname fucked around with this message at 05:21 on Jul 15, 2012

Dr_Amazing
Apr 15, 2006

It's a long story

Goofballs posted:

Was this streaming live at the time? Doesn't that put him at a giant disadvantage where anyone can look at his screen while they're playing?

.TakaM
Oct 30, 2007

That's one of my favourite gaming videos, I'm not really familiar with CS but you don't need to be in order to enjoy.
I think the recoil in CS works like the bullets start going higher above your crosshair when you fire full auto.

Hy_C
Apr 1, 2010

If I remember correctly, Counter Strike Source was notorious for terrible hit detection.

Node
May 20, 2001

KICKED IN THE COOTER
:dings:
Taco Defender

Zereth posted:

I've seen this video multiple times over the years and I still don't get how some of his deagle shots are headshots. To me it looks like his cursor is on the other side of the screen when he fires his gun and gets a headshot. I'm not saying hes hacking at all, I just don't think my brain can work that fast anymore :saddowns:.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

icantfindaname
Jul 1, 2008

Node posted:

I've seen this video multiple times over the years and I still don't get how some of his deagle shots are headshots. To me it looks like his cursor is on the other side of the screen when he fires his gun and gets a headshot. I'm not saying hes hacking at all, I just don't think my brain can work that fast anymore :saddowns:.

Yeah, it's a combination of the accuracy penalty for moving and jumping, and CSS's hitboxes. It's still ridiculous, but not hacking.

• Locked thread