Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

c0ldfuse
Jun 18, 2004

The pursuit of excellence.
:aaaaa:

God drat.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HUMAN FISH
Jul 6, 2003

I Am A Mom With A
"BLACK BELT"
In AUTISM
I Have Strengths You Can't Imagine
Mini update after a week of rain, two and a half weeks of being ill and midsummer: Not much progress.

Trabant
Nov 26, 2011

All systems nominal.
From wild, rugged outdoors to timid suburban indoors...

My project is a place to work on my projects: a small folding workbench in the garage and a board for my rinky-dink collection of tools above it. The benchtop is made of two sheets of plywood, glued and screwed together. Sliced a 2x4 into strips and glued/screwed them along the edge to give it a bit of finish. The tool board backing is made of same stuff, and I recycled a frame from a ceiling light fixture to give it some shape. Pretty happy with how it came out. Here it is open:

And closed:

Aaaand for about 4 months out of the year, it's utter hell trying to actually use it. I live in the Austin, TX area, and the garage is a goddamn oven June-September. I brought in an AC duct, put insulation on the ceiling, put insulation in the garage door, and probably achieved a 2 degree drop for all my effort. Wooo.

OgreNoah
Nov 18, 2003

I finished my bookchair + bookottoman last week after planning it and cutting it out in March, and then waiting around for a while sitting on my thumbs. I'm incredibly happy with how it turned out, and I even figured out how to make the cushions myself which saved about $110.

wheatpuppy
Apr 25, 2008

YOU HAVE MY POST!
That looks awesome. Can you estimate how much you spent on the project overall? I've seen similar chairs for sale online and they're pretty spendy.

OgreNoah
Nov 18, 2003

wheatpuppy posted:

That looks awesome. Can you estimate how much you spent on the project overall? I've seen similar chairs for sale online and they're pretty spendy.

It is pretty awesome. I can't estimate, but I can tell you exactly how much it cost. $259.42, not including necessary reuasable tools (I had to buy an orbital sander, Kreg Jig, staple gun, and If I make more I'd buy a table saw as a normal power saw takes too much work). Also, 41 hours of labor, which would be greatly reduced the second time around I'm sure.
The one I saw online first that gave me the idea (I heavily modified the design) cost ~4500 british pounds, which is about $7,050 US, so I saved a pretty penny. I assume the designer of the other chair is paying himself about $160/hr for labor, which is obviously insane and I doubt he sold very many chairs pricing them that way. Plus, overseas shipping for a 130lb chair can't be cheap.

Dead Pressed
Nov 11, 2009
1) Is it comfortable?
2) Can you share any drawings/dimensioning?

OgreNoah
Nov 18, 2003

Dead Pressed posted:

1) Is it comfortable?
2) Can you share any drawings/dimensioning?

It is comfortable. It'd be more comfy if I had used the right type of cushion for the seat, and I need to fix that. It's using one of the foam alternatives instead of foam, and the foam is way more comfortable, but the store I went to didn't have it in the size I needed when I went to buy it.

I'm not ready to share the drawings, but I can give out some basic info. It's 3/4" MDF, overall dimensions are 27x36, and each level is 11.125" tall between the crossboards. The seat is 4" and the back/ottoman cushions are 3".

bobua
Mar 23, 2003
I'd trade it all for just a little more.

Trabant posted:

From wild, rugged outdoors to timid suburban indoors...

My project is a place to work on my projects: a small folding workbench in the garage and a board for my rinky-dink collection of tools above it. The benchtop is made of two sheets of plywood, glued and screwed together. Sliced a 2x4 into strips and glued/screwed them along the edge to give it a bit of finish. The tool board backing is made of same stuff, and I recycled a frame from a ceiling light fixture to give it some shape. Pretty happy with how it came out. Here it is open:

And closed:

Aaaand for about 4 months out of the year, it's utter hell trying to actually use it. I live in the Austin, TX area, and the garage is a goddamn oven June-September. I brought in an AC duct, put insulation on the ceiling, put insulation in the garage door, and probably achieved a 2 degree drop for all my effort. Wooo.

Looks good. I'm jealous of that table saw. I'm in TX too. I find that a large standing fan for $45 bucks is well worth it.

Trabant
Nov 26, 2011

All systems nominal.

bobua posted:

Looks good. I'm jealous of that table saw. I'm in TX too. I find that a large standing fan for $45 bucks is well worth it.

Good idea, that's probably the only way to survive more than 20 minutes without running back into the house.

JEEVES420
Feb 16, 2005

The world is a mess... and I just need to rule it

bobua posted:

Seconding the large standing fan. I am in Dallas and even with the fan its almost unbearable wood working June-September. People talk about Summer Projects but down here its more like Winter Projects.

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

Bad Munki posted:

Not a major project, but I'm super pleased with how it's coming out so far.

Just bought a new house, and in that house is a basement, and in that basement is a corner under the stairs.

Looked like a nice place for an inside workbench, so I picked up some 2x4s and a 4x8 sheet of melamine, and made it happen.

Not quite done: I'm going to put pegboard over the entire back wall, and put in some wiring to provide outlets and extra lights.

I finally finished this thing, and I'm super stoked. Well, I guess not 100% done, I still need to put a 6' power strip along the back, but that's a 5-minute task once it gets here.

UberVexer
Jan 5, 2006

I like trains

Bad Munki posted:

I finally finished this thing, and I'm super stoked. Well, I guess not 100% done, I still need to put a 6' power strip along the back, but that's a 5-minute task once it gets here.

How much did that setup run you? It looks really clean, I was looking to do something similar in my garage.

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

Hmm...the melamine sheet is 3/4", that alone I think cost like $40. Beyond that, not much. A few 2x4s, some concrete mounting hardware, I also went all out and used proper construction ties so that I can dance on top of the thing with confidence, but those are like $0.50 a piece for the ones I needed. The pegboard is $15 I think? I don't recall. $10 a pack for the pegboard hooks form Amazon. The slides for the drawers, I honestly have no idea. They're 100lb, full-extension ball-bearing slides that had been sitting unopened in my garage for the last three years, I forgot I even had them, until they got unearthed in the move. Oh, and the light fixtures were on sale at Lowe's for $12 each.

So yeah, easily a hundred bucks, but probably not too more. I try not to think about these things too much. ;)

Anyhow that thing is actually in my basement, and is for all my "indoor" projects. I'll be building a bigger bench in the garage now that I'm done with this, hoping for at least 16'.

e: Whatever you do, don't skimp on the lighting, it makes such a huge difference. If those fixtures hadn't been on sale, I would have bought them anyhow. That plus 4 daylight-temp bulbs makes it look like there's a skylight somehow if the lights are on when you come down the stairs. The pictures don't do the lighting justice.

Bad Munki fucked around with this message at 02:55 on Jul 9, 2012

iwannabebobdylan
Jun 10, 2004

Holy cow, I hope you can keep it that organized, that takes a discipline I just don't have.

Thanks for the extensive CNC writeup. It seems almost too good to be true, but your POV carries some weight, and I'll keep digging and hopefully take the plunge in the next year if I can talk one of my friends to store in in their garage. My 17'x17' shop is getting smaller by the day.

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

Haha, you should see the pile of poo poo I moved onto the floor in order to stage that picture. It won't look like that again for another four years until I'm moving out.

e: Here's what it looked like earlier today before I installed the drawers. Incidentally, this is also what I expect it to look like 99% of the time:

Bad Munki fucked around with this message at 03:01 on Jul 9, 2012

dreesemonkey
May 14, 2008
Pillbug
I'd like to go pegboard crazy in my garage. Is there an alternative to mounting directly to the studs? I fee this would rob useable space every 16". What alternatives do I have? Is it worth it? I have a ton of wall space I could cover in pegboard, but no sense in not doing it as efficiently as possible if I'm going to do it.

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

The normal way is to frame it out with 1x2 affixed to the wall. It offsets it from the wall by the right depth, and yeah, you lose a column of pegs, but 2' spacing is normal. Also allows you to not worry much about what you're fixing it to. In that picture, the wall behind is concrete. On that board, I'm missing all of five columns across its eight foot length that way. Also the rows at the top and bottom, and I decided to go nuts and put one across the middle.

The alternative is that your pegboard goes all wobbly every time the humidity changes by more than 10%.

If you look closely up there, you can see which rows/columns I'm missing, but it clearly doesn't impact the layout significantly. My advice is to just do it right and not have wobbly pegboard (I've done it both ways, this is better.)

let it mellow
Jun 1, 2000

Dinosaur Gum
I did horizontal 1x2s and then just put pegs above the runs, so the tools dropped down over them. I don't think you lose any space that way.

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

That works too. The only row you really lose is the one at the very top. In my case, this is in my sometimes-humid basement and I don't want to fight humidity all the time, so I put in more framing.

Basically, no matter what, yes, you will technically lose some holes, but if you're using every single hole on a sheet of pegboard, you should probably consider alternative storage solutions.

internetpizza
May 8, 2007

Oh man, grownups and their sleazy conversations!
Just moved into a new house with a garage and an extra bedroom, which I'm turning into a music room. This means I have finally been able to (mostly) finish building and set up my DIY electronic drum kit:

Waiting for some parts to arrive, then I can finish the two remaining drums, build a proper hi-hat controller, and figure out good spots for the two cymbals propped up against the wall.

c0ldfuse
Jun 18, 2004

Bad Munki posted:

Haha, you should see the pile of poo poo I moved onto the floor in order to stage that picture. It won't look like that again for another four years until I'm moving out.

e: Here's what it looked like earlier today before I installed the drawers. Incidentally, this is also what I expect it to look like 99% of the time:

The only way I've ever kept a workshop clean is to use shadows of tools against the backing board. It works really well using a bright color so you see exactly where to put it back and can resort quickly when cleaning up.

Traxxus
Jul 13, 2003

WWJD - What Would Jack Do?

c0ldfuse posted:

The only way I've ever kept a workshop clean is to use shadows of tools against the backing board. It works really well using a bright color so you see exactly where to put it back and can resort quickly when cleaning up.

Is there an easy way to do that? Besides spray painting all your tools while hanging up that is.

Magnus Praeda
Jul 18, 2003
The largess in the land.

Traxxus posted:

Is there an easy way to do that? Besides spray painting all your tools while hanging up that is.
Hang your tools on the pegboard the way you want them, trace them with a sharpie or pencil or something then paint in the outlines with paint pen.

c0ldfuse
Jun 18, 2004

I drew an outline of each tool then painted in neon green.

It takes a solid day of patience but it's loving golden in the time it saves long run putting away your tools and finding them.

thecobra
Aug 9, 2011

by Y Kant Ozma Boo
I worked at a place that had implemented lean manufacturing/cell design quite well. Each workbench had a plexiglass wall behind it, with photocopied pictures of each tool and a hook/keeper for them on it. It was really helpful for knowing what we were missing at the end of the day. It was also funny to think about the fact that someone had gone into the office one day and made photocopies of all the tools.

wormil
Sep 12, 2002

Hulk will smoke you!
Ukulele is done! Soprano boat paddle uke, southern yellow pine top and back, poplar sides and neck, walnut fingerboard, copper wire frets and walnut inlay in the headstock. Video later.

apatite
Dec 2, 2006

Got yer back, Jack

Made this lamp the other day out of a $0.50 industrial lamp and a free air compressor out of a scrap pile. Sandblasted the air compressor last fall but it has started to rust again. Still not sure if the finish should stay like this.

Using a cast iron cover plate from some farm equipment for a base, and brass hardware throughout. Welds look a little ugly where I grafted the shade support in... Had to weld a big nut in there and then weld the pipe to that so there are two beads.

PyrE
Feb 2, 2005

Soldier? Check.
Flight? True.
Commie? NO!
Rich? Quite.

apatite posted:

Made this lamp the other day

gently caress me, that looks cool.

ant mouth
Oct 28, 2007
I posted up one of our early gravity bikes way earlier in this thread. We have another due this wednesday and crushed out a fully custom frame this past weekend. It was actually way easier to build our own frame this time around rather than using a few parts from a stock bmx bike.

Here's what we got done:

Just have to machine some mounts for the kneelers and ballast and well... fabricate the kneelers and ballast. Late nights for a few days.

Also, here's a picture of the drift trikes we finished last month:

If anyone is in portland and wants to ride our machines, please get in contact.

We've also got the PDX Adult Soapbox Derby coming up. I'll document the build for whatever car we end up making and post it up.

Dragyn
Jan 23, 2007

Please Sam, don't use the word 'acumen' again.

ant mouth posted:

I posted up one of our early gravity bikes way earlier in this thread. We have another due this wednesday and crushed out a fully custom frame this past weekend. It was actually way easier to build our own frame this time around rather than using a few parts from a stock bmx bike.

Here's what we got done:

Just have to machine some mounts for the kneelers and ballast and well... fabricate the kneelers and ballast. Late nights for a few days.

Also, here's a picture of the drift trikes we finished last month:

If anyone is in portland and wants to ride our machines, please get in contact.

We've also got the PDX Adult Soapbox Derby coming up. I'll document the build for whatever car we end up making and post it up.

I've got to ask. What would it cost to commission a drift trike?

I have PMs if you want to discuss.

peepsalot
Apr 24, 2007

PEEP THIS...
           BITCH!

ant mouth posted:

drift trikes
What do you use for the rear wheels to make them drift easy? PVC?

ant mouth
Oct 28, 2007
We've been using go kart wheels with polyethylene pipe around them. It is less prone to cracking than PVC.

iwannabebobdylan
Jun 10, 2004

ant mouth posted:

We've been using go kart wheels with polyethylene pipe around them. It is less prone to cracking than PVC.

I was going to ask you to post a video, then I searched it myself. Holy poo poo. You people are maniacs.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BNZCZsHJIR8

mds2
Apr 8, 2004

Australia: 131114
Canada: 18662773553
Germany: 08001810771
India: 8888817666
Japan: 810352869090
Russia: 0078202577577
UK: 08457909090
US: 1-800-273-8255
My big wheel was the most awesome toy when I was a kid. Too bad you out grow them at around age 5.

These drift trikes look loving sweet. What do they go for?

Not an Anthem
Apr 28, 2003

I'm a fucking pain machine and if you even touch my fucking car I WILL FUCKING DESTROY YOU.
Yeah that looks like the most fun thing, how much?

edit- or maybe how much for the frame alone?

ant mouth
Oct 28, 2007
We haven't done a comprehensive analysis of our time or components to an exact cost, but they are looking like they will fall into a ~600 ball park for a complete trike. Components and how custom you want it can make it jump in either direction from there. For example, we built our first complete custom double crown drift trike fork today.

We will sit down and crunch the numbers after this week and make a clear cut price sheet, including a frame only, like we have for our bikes. We have a bike due Wednesday and have a big downhill event this weekend that we need to build at least two more trikes for. It would be no problem if we this was our actual 9-5 instead of our hobby.

Not an Anthem posted:

Yeah that looks like the most fun thing, how much?

They are the most fun thing. Our bikes are good for teeth clenching adrenaline. The trikes are good for gigantic poo poo eating grins and uncontrollable laughter.

Pardalis
Dec 26, 2008

The Amazing Dreadheaded Chameleon Keeper
ant mouth, I've been reading your gravity bike posts for over a year now and am super stoked about the drift trikes. Are they pretty simple to learn or do they take considerable skill and practice to operate safely?

ant mouth
Oct 28, 2007
They are incredibly user friendly because you are so low and have three wheels keeping you grounded. For the most part, unless you're going really fast into a tight corner, you are able to choose when you drift. It's not like you're spinning out on every turn.

I'm completely comfortable letting people with little to no experience ride them. The first time they take it down they are nervous and modest about their speed and slides. The second time they go down they're trying to see how long they can hold it sideways and doing 360s.

On that note, if anyone is ever in Portland and wants to go play on some hills, send a message my way.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

the spyder
Feb 18, 2011
Antmouth- Would you be willing to share your knowledge. I have a fab shop just south of Portland and would love to build two of these.