Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

KSAF Staff Report
Dec 5, 2011

#acolyte faggot Hall of Fame
Ask me about trying to get published by The Black Library in between the minutes of Traffic Court reporting. Also ask me about having a game survival rate worse than the Infant Mortality Rate of Afghanistan

OriginalPseudonym posted:

I think...that she's not the court.

1: As noted, Wandering Eye wouldn't fit too well with something that was recently, comparatively, created, and is extremely set in place, and I don't think Coyote would give a "wrong" name.

2: Annie knows what Jones is, or at least, as well as she's able to understand Coyote's explanation of it. And since she doesn't know much about the Court apart from growing from the seed bismuth, I doubt Jones and the Court are related at that base a level.

3: I somehow can't see Tea making a character the literal personification of a set of buildings.

Now, I would have originally assumed that Jones is another Reynardine-like character-- possibly one of those giants that they mention occasionally, with some sort of shapeshifting ability (possibly granted by Coyote). Which would fit a bit better with the Wandering Eye comment.

That said, I can't easily make that assumption, because it seems like Annie would be able to grok that easily enough. Which means that she's something so completely foreign and unrelated to what we've seen so far that we probably can't even start to guess what she actually is.

Sorry, I should have made my transition in thinking to her being Jeanne reincarnated clearer. But not truly reincarnated, as part of her is trapped guarding the river.
What I find so evil about the court is that they seemed unwilling to find someone who would volunteer to defend the river. I mean, this is a life-or death situation here.
And she certainly isn't given powers by Coyote. She's too controlled for that.
I guess when I said Court I meant the concept of the humans who live in the Court, not just the buildings.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ursine Catastrophe
Nov 9, 2009

It's a lovely morning in the void and you are a horrible lady-in-waiting.

don't ask how i know

Dinosaur Gum

KSAF Staff Report posted:

Sorry, I should have made my transition in thinking to her being Jeanne reincarnated clearer. But not truly reincarnated, as part of her is trapped guarding the river.
What I find so evil about the court is that they seemed unwilling to find someone who would volunteer to defend the river. I mean, this is a life-or death situation here.
And she certainly isn't given powers by Coyote. She's too controlled for that.
I guess when I said Court I meant the concept of the humans who live in the Court, not just the buildings.

Oh, right, sorry, I was pretty tired when I typed up my post and completely missed your last paragraph or so there.

That said, I don't think she's Jeanne, either, because of how late Jeanne came into the picture. Somehow I don't think someone with a name like Wandering Eye got that nickname over the course of...what, maybe a hundred years? I don't really have anything concrete to base it on, but from the way Jones and Coyote were talking, I get the feeling they're super old friends.

And I don't think "given powers by Coyote" and "super controlled" are necessarily at odds. It's not like getting Coyote powers really binds you to the forest, either-- Coyote doesn't strike me as the actual "leader" of the forest. Coyote does what Coyote wants and doesn't give a gently caress about this whole Court-Forest thing-- he just happens to live in the forest, much like Jones just happens to live in the Court. Ysengrin strikes me as more the actual "forest advocate", as it were.

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

Indeed, Coyote even said "The world is my home!"

lesbian baphomet
Nov 30, 2011

Also I'm pretty sure we've seen bones on the shore from what was almost certainly Jeanne's body.

Fecha
Nov 4, 2006

Did I... did I miss anything important?
That's a pretty impressive headstand.

ATP_Power
Jun 12, 2010

This is what fascinates me most in existence: the peculiar necessity of imagining what is, in fact, real.

Coyote chapters are the best chapters.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Oh god, that pose in the last panel is the best thing ever.

Someone remove the speech bubble and take it as an avatar, stat.

lesbian baphomet
Nov 30, 2011

I didn't do that one but I did ya one close:

Laser Cow
Feb 22, 2006

Just like real cows!

Only with lasers.

MikeJF posted:

You sure it isn't panel 4. Standing on his head. Because I think it's panel 4.

^^^ And i'm not the only one.

RandomPauI
Nov 24, 2006

Grimey Drawer
I hope she tells a story about the death of Coyote. Not that he would ever stay dead.

DontMockMySmock
Aug 9, 2008

I got this title for the dumbest fucking possible take on sea shanties. Specifically, I derailed the meme thread because sailors in the 18th century weren't woke enough for me, and you shouldn't sing sea shanties. In fact, don't have any fun ever.
Today's Panel 4: Best panel in all of Gunnerkrigg? I think maybe so.

lesbian baphomet
Nov 30, 2011

DontMockMySmock posted:

Today's Panel 4: Best panel in all of Gunnerkrigg? I think maybe so.

Ppppbbbbbbbtttttthhhhppppppttttttbbbbbbbttthpppp.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Laser Cow posted:

You sure it isn't panel 4. Standing on his head. Because I think it's panel 4.

No, it's panel 7. When I look at him I can see him waving his paw and speaking imperiously.

GENUINE CAT HERDER
Jan 2, 2004

Wedge Regret

MikeJF posted:

Someone remove the speech bubble and take it as an avatar, stat.

Yes, it is an emergency! I need you to tell me stories! Of myself!

Edit:

MikeJF posted:

No, it's panel 7. When I look at him I can see him waving his paw and speaking imperiously.

Now I kinda wanna animate it...

Ursine Catastrophe
Nov 9, 2009

It's a lovely morning in the void and you are a horrible lady-in-waiting.

don't ask how i know

Dinosaur Gum

MikeJF posted:

"I apologize for nothing!"

Now I want to shop a bowl of grapes there.

Flavahbeast
Jul 21, 2001

i wasnt gonna change my avatar again but this one speaks to me

Rasamune
Jan 19, 2011

MORT
MORT
MORT
Ooh! I hope she tells the one where Coyote gets tricked into eating his own butthole!

Perestroika
Apr 8, 2010

Coyote continues to be The Best Character :allears:

Cthulhuchan
Nov 10, 2005

Rose: Sip martini thoughtfully.

Such as this one.

Just a tiny sip couldn't hurt...
Tell ya what, trickster gods being bored sounds like a proper emergency to me. :ohdear:

Hemingway To Go!
Nov 10, 2008

im stupider then dog shit, i dont give a shit, and i dont give a fuck, and i will never shut the fuck up, and i'll always Respect my enemys.
- ernest hemingway

MoonwalkInvincible posted:

I didn't do that one but I did ya one close:

You made my day, now you have to sleep in it
Now you have to sleep in it
I love the world and if I have to sue for custody,
I will sue for custody

Stand on your own head for a change
Give me some skin to call my own
Stand on your own head for a change
Give me some skin to call my own

KSAF Staff Report
Dec 5, 2011

Ask me about trying to get published by The Black Library in between the minutes of Traffic Court reporting. Also ask me about having a game survival rate worse than the Infant Mortality Rate of Afghanistan

Also I'm pretty sure we've seen bones on the shore from what was almost certainly Jeanne's body.

Just because her body is left on the shore doesn't mean she can't be reborn. This is a reincarnation cycle I'm proposing.

OriginalPseudonym posted:

That said, I don't think she's Jeanne, either, because of how late Jeanne came into the picture. Somehow I don't think someone with a name like Wandering Eye got that nickname over the course of...what, maybe a hundred years? I don't really have anything concrete to base it on, but from the way Jones and Coyote were talking, I get the feeling they're super old friends.

I think Jeanne's betrayal and death was long enough ago to earn a name from Coyote. I get the feeling he may have one for everyone he deals with in the court.

Urban Space Cowboy
Feb 15, 2009

All these Coyote avatars...they make me nervous...like somebody's pulling a prank on the entire forum! :tinfoil:

Fecha posted:

That's a pretty impressive headstand.
Almost as impressive as that of a certain other grinning maniac:

VanSandman
Feb 16, 2011
SWAP.AVI EXCHANGER
Wait, that one lady was a Valkyrie, right? What if Jones is another mythological figure's eye? Maybe Odin's?

DontMockMySmock
Aug 9, 2008

I got this title for the dumbest fucking possible take on sea shanties. Specifically, I derailed the meme thread because sailors in the 18th century weren't woke enough for me, and you shouldn't sing sea shanties. In fact, don't have any fun ever.

VanSandman posted:

Wait, that one lady was a Valkyrie, right? What if Jones is another mythological figure's eye? Maybe Odin's?

That thought occurred to me a while back, but Odin's "wandering eyes" are two ravens and have little reason to be humanoid, very heavy, and nearly indestructible. (His actual eye was "sacrificed" and I assume this entails being burnt; in any case, that eye certainly isn't known to be wandering around.)

TheFluff
Dec 13, 2006

FRIENDS, LISTEN TO ME
I AM A SEAGULL
OF WEALTH AND TASTE

DontMockMySmock posted:

That thought occurred to me a while back, but Odin's "wandering eyes" are two ravens and have little reason to be humanoid, very heavy, and nearly indestructible. (His actual eye was "sacrificed" and I assume this entails being burnt; in any case, that eye certainly isn't known to be wandering around.)

Odin's missing eye was actually dropped down a well, so yeah, it's not going anywhere.

TheFluff fucked around with this message at 09:20 on Jul 15, 2012

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

I still reckon she's one of Coyote's stray eyes that got a life of its own.

DarkCrawler
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin

MikeJF posted:

I still reckon she's one of Coyote's stray eyes that got a life of its own.

"You know I can take her if I wish."

http://www.gunnerkrigg.com/archive_page.php?comicID=818

I doubt that she would be powerful enough to defy Coyote if she was just a small piece of him. And why would she be so humorless? :haw:

Buff Skeleton
Oct 24, 2005

DarkCrawler posted:

I doubt that she would be powerful enough to defy Coyote if she was just a small piece of him. And why would she be so humorless? :haw:

The irony of these traits would be just the sort of thing Coyote would find hilarious :v:

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747
I think I remember Tom saying that "Wandering Eye" was something he came up with for Jones and is not based on existing mythologies. This was in the context of people speculating about her being Hathor, the "wandering eye of Ra".

Torokasi
Jan 13, 2011

Powered up to a level 2 super schmendrick.

Ppppbbbbbbbtttttthhhhppppppttttttbbbbbbbttthpppp.

You rang?

Torn between whether I want Annie to play along or try to yell at him. Both would be amusing, I think.

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

The slightest touch from a Gol-Shogeg will result in Instant Death!
Hrm... Is there anyone else who, in super-close-up like that, doesn't have irises the way Jones doesn't there?

KSAF Staff Report
Dec 5, 2011

thespaceinvader posted:

Hrm... Is there anyone else who, in super-close-up like that, doesn't have irises the way Jones doesn't there?

I don't think so.

Torokasi posted:

Torn between whether I want Annie to play along or try to yell at him. Both would be amusing, I think.

I'm kind of concerned Annie will make up a story, Coyote will go along with it and it will somehow become true.
This could also be a chance for us to find out more of Coyote's backstory that Annie has turned up in her off-screen time.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
If Annie's simultaneously very smart and very stupid she'll tell off Coyote on this. A medium who exists at one side's beck and call is no medium.

lesbian baphomet
Nov 30, 2011

DarkCrawler posted:

Re-reading this chapter made me notice something I'd never seen before in its art -- the background trees all bend with Coyote, consistently. And the best part is that it could be actually happening just as easily as it could just be Tom's art being expressive to make the "empty" space more interesting.

Laser Cow
Feb 22, 2006

Just like real cows!

Only with lasers.
Oh poo poo.

RandomPauI
Nov 24, 2006

Grimey Drawer
My first thought was "Coyote's gonna have to cut a bitch!"

Good ol' Wayne Brady.

Ironic Twist
Aug 3, 2008

I'm bokeh, you're bokeh
Came back after a 3 month posting hiatus to commemorate the grisly death of Annie Carver and the end of Gunnerkrigg Court

byeeeeeee

Fried Chicken
Jan 9, 2011

Don't fry me, I'm no chicken!
Well, someone lacks a sense of self preservation.

Tarezax
Sep 12, 2009

MORT cancels dance: interrupted by MORT

Oxxidation posted:

If Annie's simultaneously very smart and very stupid she'll tell off Coyote on this. A medium who exists at one side's beck and call is no medium.

Apparently Annie had the same thought.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kismet
Jun 11, 2007

I love Ysengrin's face in the second panel. He knows it's true.