Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

THE TAIL THAT BURNS TWICE AS BRIGHT...

It has all sorts of crazy external powers, I'm willing to believe it has a very powerful digestive tract until Rich tells me otherwise.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax

Shugojin posted:

It has all sorts of crazy external powers, I'm willing to believe it has a very powerful digestive tract until Rich tells me otherwise.

Rich writes about creatures with powerful digestive tracts as a compensation for having his malfunctioning chrons-ridden digestive tract.

rocketrobot
Jul 11, 2003

Speaking of digestive tracts, I hope Rich is ok!

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

terminal mehmet posted:

Speaking of digestive tracts, I hope Rich is ok!

He posted a big update on the Kickstarter last night. Most of the books have shipped.

He said his next priority was a new strip.

Johnny Aztec
Jan 30, 2005

by Hand Knit
Yeah as much as I would like more strips, I'm not going to
Begrudge him the time between strips. Dude has spread himself pretty thin, and I know the guy is working hard so I'll be a patient little stick-er.

Vadun
Mar 9, 2011

I'm hungrier than a green snake in a sugar cane field.

Has anyone done the math to figure out about how much profit he's made off Kickstarter? I'm really curious after taxes and estimated printing fees.

I just got my Print Only Special in the mail and I'm really enjoying it so far. The Origin of PC's was pretty bland at first but it picked up by the end, and Start of Darkness is amazing

Cliff Racer
Mar 24, 2007

by Lowtax
For me the only stuff that stands out in Origin of PCs is the stuff with Roy and his dad, who still remains the best character in the strip. Of course Start of Darkness had him in a bit too.

Stabbey_the_Clown
Sep 21, 2002

Are... are you quite sure you really want to say that?
Taco Defender

Vadun posted:

Has anyone done the math to figure out about how much profit he's made off Kickstarter? I'm really curious after taxes and estimated printing fees.

I just got my Print Only Special in the mail and I'm really enjoying it so far. The Origin of PC's was pretty bland at first but it picked up by the end, and Start of Darkness is amazing

It's hard to say. I don't think it's actually going to be that much. I got the impression from his updates that most of that will go into materials or upgrading the servers, and a lot of the rest will be reserved for other projects, like the 5th compilation.

XkyRauh
Feb 15, 2005

Commander Keen is my hero.

Vadun posted:

Origin of PC's was pretty bland at first but it picked up by the end [...]
The strip about readied actions got a good laugh out of me. :)

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

Stabbey_the_Clown posted:

It's hard to say. I don't think it's actually going to be that much. I got the impression from his updates that most of that will go into materials or upgrading the servers, and a lot of the rest will be reserved for other projects, like the 5th compilation.

True - though he also has a bunch of books now printed and ready to sell through normal channels, which will presumably be pure profit.

I'm sure he's worked the numbers very carefully, he seems to be almost pathologically prudent.

I think the thing that makes me happiest is that he seems to have realised how many sane and kind fans he has, instead of just the sperglords and crumpetheads on his forums. The OOTS Kickstarter backer forums are just adorable to read.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?

sebmojo posted:

I think the thing that makes me happiest is that he seems to have realised how many sane and kind fans he has, instead of just the sperglords and crumpetheads on his forums. The OOTS Kickstarter backer forums are just adorable to read.
Rich himself mentioned that he used to picture his fandom as basically being the people on his forums, and was completely blown away by how much of a "silent majority" there was that never touched the GiantITP forums, and was willing to not only support him, but also throw frankly absurd amounts of money at him.

That's because the GITP forums are a shithole, but the point still stands.

Real Fake Edit I hope Rich is okay. :ohdear:

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

XkyRauh posted:

The strip about readied actions got a good laugh out of me. :)

And the Dwarf city bit with the breakfast beer was funny.

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

THE TAIL THAT BURNS TWICE AS BRIGHT...

Colon V posted:

Rich himself mentioned that he used to picture his fandom as basically being the people on his forums, and was completely blown away by how much of a "silent majority" there was that never touched the GiantITP forums, and was willing to not only support him, but also throw frankly absurd amounts of money at him.

Real Fake Edit I hope Rich is okay. :ohdear:

Yyyyes the kind of people who post on the GITP forums always end up alienated from the entire rest of society. Sometimes they do it to others and sometimes others do it to them, but it always happens.

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

Mulla on aina kolkyt donaa taskussa

Let's start posting Goblins while waiting for OOTS to come back. Everyone loves Goblins.

You can barely tell the difference.

Cuchulain
May 15, 2007

My tiny godly CoX shall burn forever!
Why would you post that garbage. I've never seen someone draw so much unnecessary gore on a page and still have it seem utterly lifeless.

What the hell is even happening there? An Albino midget Rastafarian is attacking a large pincushion, but then it's a guy with weird goo hair with an ax who kills everyone to show how bad rear end he is?

VVV I know Golbins well enough to know that every page has as much bloody dismemberment as the author can finish drawing before ejaculating in his pants and passing out on a given day. The question is why is it here in a thread about a good comic.

Cuchulain fucked around with this message at 10:30 on Jul 17, 2012

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

If you think that's a lot of unnecessary gore you don't know Goblins very well, but otherwise, spot-on assessment.

JosephWongKS
Apr 4, 2009

by Nyc_Tattoo

Nenonen posted:

Let's start posting Goblins while waiting for OOTS to come back. Everyone loves Goblins.

Colon V posted:

It's telling that the GitP forums are up to their 9th Goblins discussion thread (with around 1,500 posts each).

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

MAN IT'S BEEN A WHILE I HOPE RICH IS OKAY oh.

Cthulhuchan
Nov 10, 2005

Rose: Sip martini thoughtfully.

Such as this one.

Just a tiny sip couldn't hurt...
see this is what happens when you abuse the magic it backfires and then people start posting goblins

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747

My Lovely Horse posted:

If you think that's a lot of unnecessary gore you don't know Goblins very well, but otherwise, spot-on assessment.

The worst thing is that as far as Goblins go, this is a good page. The action can be followed, the panels aren't crushed by walls of :words: that even Tim Buckley would find long-winded, and there is something vaguely approaching humor in the anticlimax of the white goblin's heroic destiny speech contrasted to his quick and forgettable death.

It still is a terrible page by any other standard.

Cuchulain
May 15, 2007

My tiny godly CoX shall burn forever!
The action can be followed? Really? Aside from GRIMDARK DETHNVIOLENCEBLOODSMASH what the gently caress is going on there?

Amateur Sketch
Feb 23, 2008

a kaleidoscopic supernova
of all your hopes and dreams

Cuchulain posted:

The action can be followed? Really? Aside from GRIMDARK DETHNVIOLENCEBLOODSMASH what the gently caress is going on there?

Either Rastagoblin is really bad at aiming his jumps, or he was talking about fighting Goohair von Lockjaw in the first place. I'm not sure which.

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747

Cuchulain posted:

Stupid-looking goofy blue monster slaughters goblins. Rastagoblin makes heroic speech and jumps to attack goofy blue monster. Jello orc intercepts Rastagoblin's jump and kills him. Then he kills another fleeing goblin, and in the last panel notices the smell of bullshit that pervades the entire comic.

Spiderdrake
May 12, 2001

Is that what happened? I read the start of goblins and I have no idea what I'm looking at, at all.

Should have posted Erfworld instead. Easier to comfortably mock.

NihilCredo
Jun 6, 2011

iram omni possibili modo preme:
plus una illa te diffamabit, quam multæ virtutes commendabunt

^^^^^^ Erfworld easier to mock than that abortion? Are you serious?

What I find kind of amazing is that the panels with the slimy orc have some proper action lines so you have an idea of how he's moving, but both Rastagoblin and the two Runningawaygoblins are completely devoid of them, as a result looking frozen in time. How do you forget such a basic thing from one panel to the next?

Sorry for continuing this derail, but I can't quite come up with a replacement incantation to summon Rich. "Screw you Kickstarter buyers I want my new page" is probably a bit too [Evil].

NihilCredo fucked around with this message at 14:23 on Jul 17, 2012

Spiderdrake
May 12, 2001

NihilCredo posted:

^^^^^^ Erfworld easier to mock than that abortion? Are you serious?
"Comfortably". It's the pivotal word in that sentence.

I mean Erfworld's flaws can be made light of while not posting an abortion of a comic that looks like a messy discharge.

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

I'm sorry for posting Goblins here. Now I see that I crossed the line and feel ashamed. I really do! Let's keep this thread dedicated to Order of the Stick so that nobody needs to feel uncomfortable, okay?

So... what are your favourite OOTS erotic fanfic stories? I reckon user Sereg5 is pretty good, I wonder if Rich knows of him or ever considered offering some of these as Kickstarter incentives?

quote:

Safeword by Sereg5

A/N: This was based on Sstoopidtallkid's suggestion of Belkar x Roy BDSM with Roy using the Mark of Justice's password as a safe-word:

Disclaimer: I am still not the owner of The Order of the Stick. Rich Burlew aka The Giant is.

Roy stared hungrily at the halfling that he had been trying to convince himself was the bane of his existence for the entire adventure. What he had never admitted to anyone, was that he had actually enjoyed Belkar's lewd comments during the short space of time that he was a women. He could certainly appreciate the skill with which Belkar fought. How could someone so small, be so powerful? So…deliciously powerful. Of course, Roy could never have him. Belkar had only ever expressed interest in women so far. Unless…maybe…if Roy let him know who the woman that he had apparently found so attractive was…no. It wouldn't work. Roy desperately wanted to be manhandled the way that Belkar manhandled their enemies…but Belkar was a powerful, violent individual with no sense of self control. Roy quite simply didn't trust him not to slit his throat whilst they were "busy". But wait! There was another way! Belkar's arrangement with Lord Shojo provided Roy with a unique opportunity. One that he wasn't going to let slip away.

"Belkar," announced Roy, "I'd like a word in private." Belkar got up from the table that he was sharing with the rest of the Order and followed Roy outside. "Next time try not to announce my name to the whole world." he hissed, "And try to remember that it's not easy sitting down and getting up while I'm wearing these stilts, so I like to avoid doing it more than I have to."
"Sorry," Roy apologized, "I am a little distracted."
"Well, what is it?" asked Belkar.
"As you know," began Roy, "Lord Shojo placed the Greater Mark of Justice on you which will activate if you deal lethal damage to anyone in an urban area, or if I say the password."
"Your point?" snarled Belkar, clearly still upset with this restriction in his freedom.
"I have some information and a…request for you." said Roy.
"Well?" asked Belkar.
"Do you remember the woman that you hit on after the inn exploded?" asked Roy. Belkar smiled and said, "Oh yeah, she was smoking hot. I wanted to take her back to my room and…"
"That was me." interrupted Roy, "That was me using the belt of gender-changing, or whatever it was called."
"Well, in that case," smirked Belkar, "How's about you and me have some fun together, babe?"
"I was hoping, you'd say that." said Roy.
"Wait, what?" asked Belkar, clearly shocked, "I was just teasing you. You mean, you're actually interested?"
"Yes, I am." answered Roy, "I want to know what it's like to be dominated by you, but remember, you have the Mark of Justice and I have the password."
"Um…Okay," answered Belkar, "It looks like this is going to be more fun than I thought.

A/N: That's as far as I'm going with that one, but I think that it would be fun to see other people's interpretations. Also I must give credit to NamonakiRei's "This is what I do in English class" for inspiration.

Nooo don't stop yet :(

JosephWongKS
Apr 4, 2009

by Nyc_Tattoo

Spiderdrake posted:

Should have posted Erfworld instead. Easier to comfortably mock.

I read Erfworld up to Chapter 163 since it was conveniently hosted on the GiTP website up to that point, but stopped following it when it moved to its own website. I'd be sincerely interested in finding out from the experts as to what is terrible about Erfworld, since I merely found it dull when I was still reading it.

Green Intern
Dec 29, 2008

Loon, Crazy and Laughable

JosephWongKS posted:

I read Erfworld up to Chapter 163 since it was conveniently hosted on the GiTP website up to that point, but stopped following it when it moved to its own website. I'd be sincerely interested in finding out from the experts as to what is terrible about Erfworld, since I merely found it dull when I was still reading it.

For me, Erfworld pretty much just slid down a slope of complete and utter boredom. The primary reasons for this were the numerous text updates about boring characters that had no real impact on the story at hand, or lengthy exposition about how some other ancillary trait of the setting worked. Take today's update: there's a 262 word footnote about how to play a made up card game. That's boring.

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax
Just because there isn't an update in two weeks doesn't mean you have to start posting stupid poo poo, y'know.

oobey
Nov 19, 2002

gently caress all of you. I saw 20+ new posts and jumped in here eagerly expecting a new strip, only to get hit right in the face by some Goblins.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

oobey posted:

gently caress all of you. I saw 20+ new posts and jumped in here eagerly expecting a new strip, only to get hit right in the face by some Goblins.
Here you go. (Imgur doesn't like me at work for some reason.)
http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0858.html

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747

Green Intern posted:

Take today's update: there's a 262 word footnote about how to play a made up card game. That's boring.

Actually, playing a card game seems more entertaining than reading Erfworld.

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

Endless Mike posted:

Here you go. (Imgur doesn't like me at work for some reason.)
http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0858.html

It worked!

rocketrobot
Jul 11, 2003

You can always tell this thread is going crazy when we start posting other strips (please don't do that). Thank goodness there is a new strip today.

Hate-O-Tron
Apr 1, 2007
So... any thoughts on what the black stuff coming out of the arrow is?

Some sort of triggered spell? Unique magic item? Alchemical Gas?

NihilCredo
Jun 6, 2011

iram omni possibili modo preme:
plus una illa te diffamabit, quam multæ virtutes commendabunt

Hate-O-Tron posted:

Maybe something they pilfered from the dungeon's traps? It doesn't seem like the sort of stuff any OotS member would carry, except maybe V.

oobey posted:

Oh gods please don't tell me that the new spell to summon an update is to post Goblins pages :negative:

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

Hate-O-Tron posted:

Ink?

Amateur Sketch
Feb 23, 2008

a kaleidoscopic supernova
of all your hopes and dreams
Whatever it is, I'm glad to see Roy's tactical prowess coming into play. Setting ambushes and using the enemy's skills against him is a good start to a conflict.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax
Could just be a simple continuous darkness, though that wouldn't really even make much of a difference with then having true seeing and such.