Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

spog
Aug 7, 2004

It's your own bloody fault.

AIIAZNSK8ER posted:

WTF, that mentality is spreading. 7 local photographers just formed a "collective" and their first blog post was directed at all the existing photographers saying that everyone is behind 20 years in technique and they are all the best photographers this area has ever seen. They pissed off a bunch of people and then changed the blog post. It still uses petty language to describe what they do as radically different somehow. I'm fairly certain that they are all dependent spouses and aren't working anywhere near full time.

What the hell does a collective do?

I never realised that photographers were so persecuted.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AIIAZNSK8ER
Dec 8, 2008

Where is your 24-70?
Properly organized and managed collectives can be an amazing set up.
http://lens.blogs.nytimes.com/2012/06/18/a-lone-wolf-approach-disfavored/

However, the group I mentioned is just trying to start some trouble.

red19fire
May 26, 2010

spog posted:

What the hell does a collective do?

I never realised that photographers were so persecuted.

Oh no, are (lovely) photographers becoming the new furries?!? I'm being Pho-secuted! :downsrim:

I think the 'taunting' refers more to r/pics downvotes and critical comments. Because as we all know, there is no such thing as constructive criticism, just haters hatin'.

SoundMonkey
Apr 22, 2006

I just push buttons.

red19fire posted:

Because as we all know, there is no such thing as constructive criticism, just haters hatin'.

The only real solution to haters hating is image macros.

SeamusMcPhisticuffs
Aug 2, 2006

republicans.bmp
We've had a mass spreading of momtographers in my town. I know of at least 9 that have "businesses" in a town of less than 3,000, with many more talking about how they should do it too on Facebook. I can't wait for them to form a collective of worthlessness. Maybe they'll form two and there will be momtog gang fight shootouts in the streets once the laundry is done.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

You laugh now, but that will change the first time a minivan rolls up on you at a stop light and the powered doors roll back to reveal 8 angry moms packing XSi's.. set to full auto.

8th-snype
Aug 28, 2005

My office is in the front room of a run-down 12 megapixel sensor but the rent suits me and the landlord doesn't ask many questions.

Dorkroom Short Fiction Champion 2012

Young Orc

xzzy posted:

You laugh now, but that will change the first time a minivan rolls up on you at a stop light and the powered doors roll back to reveal 8 angry moms packing XSi's.. set to full auto.

And then we get 8 lovely, faux HDR, over sharpened photos of SeamusMcPhisticuffs on Pinterest?

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Truly a fate worse than death.

an AOL chatroom
Oct 3, 2002

Every momtographer I know has talent that transcends training and experience. They're flawless and inspiring out of the box, and if you point out any way that they could improve, you're a jerk and a hater.

burzum karaoke
May 30, 2003

ASX is consistently a pretty fantastic site, but I can't get over how much I love this particular series they just put up: http://www.americansuburbx.com/series-2/d/documerica-1971-1977

The shot of the dude setting up the 4x5 at Canyonlands almost brings a tear to my eye. :unsmith:

CarrotFlowers
Dec 17, 2010

Blerg.

aliencowboy posted:

ASX is consistently a pretty fantastic site, but I can't get over how much I love this particular series they just put up: http://www.americansuburbx.com/series-2/d/documerica-1971-1977

The shot of the dude setting up the 4x5 at Canyonlands almost brings a tear to my eye. :unsmith:

Don`t we all love Mrblandaverage. :)

MrBlandAverage
Jul 2, 2003

GNNAAAARRRR

CarrotFlowers posted:

Don`t we all love Mrblandaverage. :)

I wish my beard were that majestic :smith:

Awkward Davies
Sep 3, 2009
Grimey Drawer
You should definitely check out this iceberg portrait series on the Times Lens Blog

MrBlandAverage
Jul 2, 2003

GNNAAAARRRR

Vignetting filter :tizzy:

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

I like this guy's icebergs a whole lot better:

http://www.davidburdeny.com/

There was another dude getting some press last year who put up some amazing ice photos, but I appear to have forgotten his name and can't find them anymore.

BobTheCow
Dec 11, 2004

That's a thing?

I was lucky enough to see this gallery at Look3, the prints were loving enormous and it was a pretty impressive display. For what it's worth, the vignetting effect wasn't nearly as obvious that way.

DanTheFryingPan
Jan 28, 2006
Guy sets up a custom-rig attached to his car to do panoramas in Tuscany.

Enrico Cinalli posted:

Look@thisTuscany is the name of my latest photographic project, completely dedicated to the Tuscan rural landscape. I wanted to take pictures of this fascinating land from a different point of view, literally. Therefore I equipped my little SUV with a mechanical system that allowed me to lift the camera up to 10 meters from the ground, thus getting unusual perspectives on the surrounding landscape. Furthermore, since the camera is fixed upon a panoramic motorized head and I use image stitching techniques, I can get high resolution pictures with the horizontal field of view up to 360°.

From Luminous Landscape.

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE

DanTheFryingPan posted:

Guy sets up a custom-rig attached to his car to do panoramas in Tuscany.

From Luminous Landscape.

He's angling his camera down instead of using a shift lens, causing perspective distortion.
:goonsay:

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

It's still a pretty awesome build though. It looks amazing when the pole is fully extended.

Not sure how he got it stable enough to get his 100% crops that sharp though. Windless day I guess?

Shaocaholica
Oct 29, 2002

Fig. 5E

xzzy posted:

It's still a pretty awesome build though. It looks amazing when the pole is fully extended.

Not sure how he got it stable enough to get his 100% crops that sharp though. Windless day I guess?

His program could analyze the photo to determine sharpness and just keep shooting until its acceptable before moving onto the next patch. However, if its windy, he would probably just have to wait.

NoneMoreNegative
Jul 20, 2000
GOTH FASCISTIC
PAIN
MASTER

shit wizard dad

Keep shooting, perhaps one day you'll sell one shot like this guy :)

Though the actual figure is undisclosed as far as I know, it's said to be one of the most expensive licensed shots ever...

DanTheFryingPan
Jan 28, 2006
After five months of being stuck with a lovely and slow laptop, it's such a joy to edit a bunch of shots with my desktop. I don't have to wait several minutes while exporting JPGs...

e: \/\/\/\/\/\/ The sad part is that I was using a MacBook Pro, and it was slow as molasses.

DanTheFryingPan fucked around with this message at 19:41 on Jul 15, 2012

Soulex
Apr 1, 2009

Cacati in mano e pigliati a schiaffi!

I know what you mean. I went from UFraw, a free editing ubuntu program, that only did one image at a time (I mean open program, select image, edit, export, close program, reopen...) to convincing the wife a macbook pro would be a good idea. Holy cow aperture is slick.

edit: I know there is a general recommendation for books via starting out on photography. Is there one for photoshop? I want to learn but I keep getting intimidated. :ohdear:

Soulex fucked around with this message at 21:22 on Jul 15, 2012

whereismyshoe
Oct 21, 2008

that's not gone well...

NoneMoreNegative posted:

Keep shooting, perhaps one day you'll sell one shot like this guy :)

Though the actual figure is undisclosed as far as I know, it's said to be one of the most expensive licensed shots ever...

What camera is that?

8th-snype
Aug 28, 2005

My office is in the front room of a run-down 12 megapixel sensor but the rent suits me and the landlord doesn't ask many questions.

Young Orc

whereismyshoe posted:

What camera is that?

Looks like a Bronica GS-1 Mrblandaverage is totally right that is a Mamiya RZ67 the shutter button and cut out around it is dead giveaway on closer look. They probably took the prism (or WLF) off so that the lens would light up.

8th-snype fucked around with this message at 04:31 on Jul 16, 2012

MrBlandAverage
Jul 2, 2003

GNNAAAARRRR

whereismyshoe posted:

What camera is that?

It's an RZ67 which for some reason doesn't have a viewfinder, even a WLF, attached.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

My first guess was a Bronica.

whereismyshoe
Oct 21, 2008

that's not gone well...

MrBlandAverage posted:

It's an RZ67 which for some reason doesn't have a viewfinder, even a WLF, attached.

is it weird that i really love huge, unwieldy gear

8th-snype
Aug 28, 2005

Young Orc
Also while doing some research about that image I found that "Bliss" was apparently shot handheld. Suck it tripod havers.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

whereismyshoe posted:

I love it too.

And then I have to carry it around.

Shortly after which, I lust after a small rangefinder or P&S.

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Death is nothing compared to vindication.
Buglord

whereismyshoe posted:

You too can own a Mamiya RB67 (okay so it's one step down from the RZ67), I'm selling one in the gear selling thread.

Clayton Bigsby
Apr 17, 2005

QPZIL posted:

You too can own a Mamiya RB67 (okay so it's one step down from the RZ67), I'm selling one in the gear selling thread.

I love RBs. Mine is the older model with all the funky interlocks which is a good way to save film as you are rarely able to fire the shutter because button A isn't aligned with tab B while lever C isn't in position D and there is a full moon outside.

DanTheFryingPan
Jan 28, 2006
So some dude e-mails me.

Random dude posted:

(paraphrased) Hey can you delete this photo because it has my face and I don't want it on the Internet. Just started to piss me off.

After spending a weekend at a very public event with tons of photographers and videographers. Reminds me of the time I was taking pictures at a friend's party. I picked out the best ones and put them online, and a girl from the party messaged me asking for every single photo with her in it.

:suicide:

Soulex
Apr 1, 2009

Tell him no. I wouldn't take down a good shot because someone didn't want to be on the internet.

Besides. If it was in public we are protested and don't really have to ask for permission right? Unless you were writing something slanderous.

Pompous Rhombus
Mar 11, 2007

Soulex posted:

Tell him no. I wouldn't take down a good shot because someone didn't want to be on the internet.

Besides. If it was in public we are protested and don't really have to ask for permission right? Unless you were writing something slanderous.

Don't even reply, you're only going to get an argument.

Soulex
Apr 1, 2009

Pompous Rhombus posted:

Don't even reply, you're only going to get an argument.
I guess that works better!

I care about other people's feelings. Even if I don't know them. That would prevent me from backpedaling.

Bout to go to Albania (with an actual camera this time). I can't wait! One more week!

Awkward Davies
Sep 3, 2009
Grimey Drawer
Story time:

I was shooting an event for a friend last night (video and photo). My partner and I showed up with three 5Ds, kit 28-135 lenses (plus a 50mm 1.4), a zoom recorder and two manfrottos. I'm working on getting into videography/event photography and this is the gear I can rustle up at the moment.

So we set up and then another guy shows up. 7D with L glass 28-70mm and one of those eyepieces for the LCD. Hm, okay.

Then another woman shows up with three 5D bodies (between her and her partner who was also shooting), multiple L lenses and a speedlite with a gently caress off huge reflector around the top.

And then ANOTHER guy shows up with a Panasonic DVX.

So we're surrounded by superior gear and confused as hell. There were at least six 5/7Ds pointed at the stage. The kicker is that I'm pretty sure we were the only ones who got paid for the event...

squidflakes
Aug 27, 2009

SHORTBUS

Awkward Davies posted:

Story time:
So we're surrounded by superior gear and confused as hell.

That's THE BOSS mentality for you. My 7D takes better pictures because I paid more for it. End. Of. Story. :colbert:

whereismyshoe
Oct 21, 2008

that's not gone well...
so i refuse to pay $40 for a canon branded hood and have taken to buying $5 fotodiox ones off amazon, i have a couple for my 85mm and i want to wrap / cover one of them in the most obnoxious way possible. suggestions?

VVV Blaze might be useful for street stuff, actually. making people look without even thinking about it

e2: I just remembered I have an entire book of glittery cat stickers. I might just cover the whole thing in glittery cats.

whereismyshoe fucked around with this message at 06:51 on Jul 19, 2012

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ExecuDork
Feb 25, 2007

We might be fucked, sir.
Fallen Rib
Blaze orange spray paint. It's specially designed to be nearly impossible to ignore. Like a fire truck, on fire.

Duct tape comes in veritable rainbow of colours.

Stencils? This is where the spray paint could come in really handy. Maybe that silhouette of a girl in side profile, like trucks have on their mudflaps? In Blaze Orange.