Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Big Bad Voodoo Lou
Jan 1, 2006

notthegoatseguy posted:

The Thunderbolts tie-in of that issue expands the conversation a bit more. The SI arc for Thunderbolts is really good and one of the few good stories between Ellis' and Cage's run.

You mean Parker's run? Cage was the name of Parker's first TPB volume.

Gage wrote the Secret Invasion material for Thunderbolts that directly followed Ellis' run, then Diggle took over during Dark Reign and Siege (and most people didn't like it), and then Parker.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?
Ron Perlman is awesome

https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=a.302834343145044.66502.145844752177338&type=1

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

Okay, now I know why Jax couldn't bring himself to kill him :)

Edit: Sons of Anarchy Season 4 spoilers

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

Brock! Oh, man, I'm sorry about your...

...tooth?

Jerusalem posted:

Okay, now I know why Jax couldn't bring himself to kill him :)

Edit: Sons of Anarchy Season 4 spoilers

Oh. For a second I thought you were talking about the MK cartoon where Perlman played Kurtis Stryker.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?
Every once in a while, you see something in the news that makes you want to shake someone's hand. This is definitely one of those times.

KittenofDoom
Apr 15, 2003

Me posting IRL
How long does it take to apply that much makeup? It probably wouldn't be movie-quality, but still.

Mister Roboto
Jun 15, 2009

I SWING BY AUNT MAY's
FOR A SHOWER AND A
BITE, MOST NATURAL
THING IN THE WORLD,
ASSUMING SHE'S
NOT HOME...

...AND I
FIND HER IN BED
WITH MY
FATHER, AND THE
TWO OF THEM
ARE...ARE...

...AAAAAAAAUUUUGH!

KittenofDoom posted:

How long does it take to apply that much makeup? It probably wouldn't be movie-quality, but still.

I think I read somewhere in the range of several hours to the point where he slept through parts of it. Sci-Fi actors like Star Trek aliens often did that.

ufarn
May 30, 2009

KittenofDoom posted:

Probably up to six-eight hours, depending on the level of detail.

Even Jolene Blalock who played a Vulcan in Star Trek: Enterprise had to sit for, what, two hours in make-up. And she just gets some facial modifications.

EDIT: Two-and-a-half effective hours of make-up. They set aside four hours to kick the tires of the entire get-up.

ufarn fucked around with this message at 17:17 on Jul 7, 2012

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

:nws:http://i.imgur.com/YnyM9.jpg:nws:

From Blacksad: Somewhere Within the Shadows

DarkCrawler
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin
Spider-Man and Human Torch can be surprisingly :3:

FF #16

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

DarkCrawler posted:

Spider-Man and Human Torch can be surprisingly :3:

FF #16

The it all goes to Hell in FF #17 as Johnny hooked up with MJ.

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

LET ME TELL YOU ABOUT MY DOG

Man, they should have done something with pancakes. :buddy:

e: context:

(from one of the Hellboy/BPRD of course)

Flesh Forge fucked around with this message at 21:29 on Jul 12, 2012

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

Flesh Forge posted:

Man, they should have done something with pancakes. :buddy:

If the kid loved them then hell would never get their hands on him.

bobkatt013 fucked around with this message at 18:25 on Jul 16, 2012

Rustmouth Chafings
Dec 11, 2008
Anyone have the sequence from Infinite Crisis with Batman crying as he realizes that Nightwing is about to go up against Superboy-Prime?

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

...tooth?

I wasn't sure whether to put this in this thread or the Make Mine Romance one. It's from Hulk #55. Since Jeff Parker took over, Hulk has included a supporting character in Annie, a life model decoy assigned to work with him. There were other LMDs, but they got killed off over the series. Annie, like the others, is very human and seems to find the whole being a robot thing to be secondary. Like she'd roll her eyes and go, "Yeah, yeah, I'm an android. Beep bop boop, kill all humans. So anyway, here's the mission."

In the beginning, Ross was taken aback by her and always asked questions about her mechanicalness, like why she eats food and stuff like that. Over time, we'd see her always at his side, helping him out in adventures and personal issues. There was even a panel of Ross waking up next to her, suggesting that they're closer than just a general and his AI assistant.

During this situation with these Mayan gods, Hulk finds out that Annie's snooping around their pyramid and confronts her.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer
Wait... "A war machine like Aaron"? Is Machine Man in Hulk?

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

...what is Red Hulk doing being likeable? :psyduck:

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

He got likeable pretty much the minute Jeph Loeb left the book.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

Lurdiak posted:

He got likeable pretty much the minute Jeph Loeb left the book.
...somehow, that doesn't surprise me. Where's a good place to start with him/it? Is there a miniseries or a good, completed arc of reasonable size, or anything of that sort?

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

Issue 25 of the "Hulk" (no Incredible) book is where Jeff Parker got on, and it stars Red Hulk right off the bat and is generally very strong all the way to the present. The first arc is collected here and basically makes Rulk transition from defeated villain to reluctant, and then not so reluctant, hero.

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

...tooth?

TwoPair posted:

Wait... "A war machine like Aaron"? Is Machine Man in Hulk?

He is, but Parker writes him with his old robot personality instead of Nextwave/Bender. By this point, he's a borderline sidekick to Red Hulk.

Colon V posted:

...somehow, that doesn't surprise me. Where's a good place to start with him/it? Is there a miniseries or a good, completed arc of reasonable size, or anything of that sort?

What Lurdiak, said, pretty much. It's worth noting that Hulk gets over his Loeb-written "MY SUPERPOWER IS BEATING UP EVERYONE drat I'M BADASS!" self in the very first issue of the run. Steve Rogers holds him in a cell with no gravity for a couple days and Red Hulk isn't able to smash at anything, so he has no choice but to reflect on what a colossal douche he's been for the previous 24 issues. He works for Rogers because he's a soldier and this is all he knows what to do, plus it plays into the idea that he's an old past-his-prime soldier put out to pasture and this is his big chance to relive his glory days. For a little while, he has the problem of crossing paths with a bunch of heavy hitter heroes who would like nothing more than to punch him into the distance for all the poo poo he's been responsible for.

The whole run has been incredibly solid.

Ein Bear
Mar 26, 2010

Oh Sirrah, how deliciously absurd!

bobkatt013 posted:

If the kid loved them then hell would never get their hands on them.

I feel like a terrible person for laughing so hard at this.

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

...tooth?

Last month in Avengers Academy:

Nearly every page of Avengers Academy #33 could be in this thread, but here's the meat of it:

He's okay, though! Once Emma leaves, we find out that Quicksilver switched that piece of machinery with another from a training robot and Emma never noticed. Quicksilver then puts him back together and Sentinel repeats his prime directive.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer

Gavok posted:

He's okay, though! Once Emma leaves, we find out that Quicksilver switched that piece of machinery with another from a training robot and Emma never noticed. Quicksilver then puts him back together and Sentinel repeats his prime directive.

Man, you weren't kidding about that whole "you could post the whole comic" thing. Honestly, it reminded me of the Iron Giant. My only complaint is that end. I usually dislike sad endings in comics, but drat, to just immediately go "Hey, he didn't die at all YAYYY" really cheapens the emotional impact of the moment.

Mister Chompers
Sep 11, 2011

TwoPair posted:

Man, you weren't kidding about that whole "you could post the whole comic" thing. Honestly, it reminded me of the Iron Giant. My only complaint is that end. I usually dislike sad endings in comics, but drat, to just immediately go "Hey, he didn't die at all YAYYY" really cheapens the emotional impact of the moment.

But it heightened the whole Finesse actually showing emotion and hugging Quicksilver thing which I thought had more impact.

laz0rbeak
Oct 9, 2011
Apologies if it's been listed already, but I recently caught up on Hickman's Fantastic Four, and this exchange was pretty great:

For those interested in the background, Reed discovers that Ben ages a few days for every year, making him nearly immortal. Reed travels with his father further and further in time for some father/son bonding. A thousand years in the future, the Fantastic Four still exist and fight against the Kree, Skrull, and Badoon, with Franklin and Ben still serving as members. Another thousand years in the future, Ben gives a commencement speech for a graduating class of thousands in the Future Foundation, which has become a huge organization of the super-powered best and brightest; Ben states that Franklin has left earth to "run with the gods." Ben lives on, missing his fellow FF members and wondering whether Franklin will return, and whether he will ever eat another cheeseburger. Finally seeing enough, Reed returns to the present for some quality bro time.

It's a great little moment between these two that shows how these completely opposite characters are still best friends.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Hickman really knows how to hit the right beats emotionally. I'm going to be very sad when he leaves the F4 franchise.

CzarChasm
Mar 14, 2009

I don't like it when you're watching me eat.

Gavok posted:

Last month in Avengers Academy:

Nearly every page of Avengers Academy #33 could be in this thread, but here's the meat of it:

I must just be an rear end in a top hat because all I can see is the sentinel going for the greatest high 5 in history.

MelvinTheJerk
Jun 4, 2001

I'm still here.
From the Spectacular Spider-Man Annual #3. It was a back up to the main story, but I really like this. I wish more comics did stuff like this.

Cuchulain
May 15, 2007

My tiny godly CoX shall burn forever!
I'm personally finding it depressing that nothing after the first page happened anymore.

Cassa
Jan 29, 2009
Peter Parker never graduated High School? :psyduck:

Cuchulain
May 15, 2007

My tiny godly CoX shall burn forever!
Eh, eventually he'll sell his diploma to the devil. It'll make him easier to relate to.

Waterhaul
Nov 5, 2005

it was a nice post,
you shouldn't have signed it.

Cuchulain posted:

I'm personally finding it depressing that nothing after the first page happened anymore.

Since when?

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

Cassa posted:

Peter Parker never graduated High School? :psyduck:

What are you talking about there is a picture of him at his graduation and mentions him going to Empire State. However, if you mean Ultimate Pete something came up.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

The science fair picture is great. A gag wrapped up in a reference to his webbing. Also never noticed this before, but in the graduation picture with Aunt May, is that Warren in the background staring at Peter?

E the Shaggy
Mar 29, 2010
The idea that Aunt May was at Peter's dance, taking a picture of him sitting alone, is just making me die laughing.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

E the Shaggy posted:

The idea that Aunt May was at Peter's dance, taking a picture of him sitting alone, is just making me die laughing.

Also the picture of Peter and Ben with the microscope since that is the day of or really close to his death.

Cassa
Jan 29, 2009

bobkatt013 posted:

What are you talking about there is a picture of him at his graduation and mentions him going to Empire State. However, if you mean Ultimate Pete something came up.

I joking along with what Cuchulain stated.

And I love that charlie brown shirt Peter has on.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

I wonder if that creepy looking Moe Szyslak/Alfalfa dude behind Aunt May on the beach is MJ's uncle. Good god. We know what her dad looks like, and man, he must have taken all the good genes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

laz0rbeak
Oct 9, 2011
This is from Byrne's (amazing) FF run in the mid-80's. Sue Storm is pregnant, and is experiencing complications from the baby being conceived in the negative zone. Reed and company call in an all-star team of scientists with radiation expertise, including Bruce Banner, Michael Morbius, and Sasquatch from Alpha Flight, but they need Dr. Octopus' help, too. Reed convinces a heavily medicated Ock to help him and releases him from the psych ward, only for Ock to relapse after seeing an image of Spider-Man on a Daily Bugle billboard.

Doc Ock eventually comes around, and they head back to the Baxter building.