Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Ishamael
Feb 18, 2004

You don't have to love me, but you will respect me.

sigma 6 posted:

I apologized about it not being in the proper thread. I had seen NUMEROUS riot gear pics in this thread, so I thought it might be appropriate. Also - the ludicrous notion of all of Los Angeles being on "tactical alert" over chalk drawings. Well . . . I am a little dumbstruck.
Is the Los Angeles police force "badass" for shooting at people over chalk on the pavement? I will let you decide.

Besides - GBS is probably the last place I would post something remotely serious.

None of these pictures are bad-rear end in any way.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pinechild
Sep 14, 2011

sigma 6 posted:

I apologized about it not being in the proper thread. I had seen NUMEROUS riot gear pics in this thread, so I thought it might be appropriate. Also - the ludicrous notion of all of Los Angeles being on "tactical alert" over chalk drawings. Well . . . I am a little dumbstruck.
Is the Los Angeles police force "badass" for shooting at people over chalk on the pavement? I will let you decide.

Besides - GBS is probably the last place I would post something remotely serious.

You may want to repost this over in the D&D Political Pictures thread, half of the last page was "gently caress the police," so you'll fit right in.

Bodnoirbabe
Apr 30, 2007

sigma 6 posted:

Okay, one you haven't seen riot gear pictures here. What you've seen are pictures of bad-asses standing up to oppressive police, or bad rear end cops doing their job.

Two: What you're looking for is a discussion on what happened. The pictures and stories you're posting aren't about anyone being bad-rear end.

I'm going to kindly ask you to please stop posting about it here and to go make a thread in either D&D or GBS instead, as they better suit your needs.

:siren:I'm also going to request that people please ignore this and get back to posting things that actually DO go in this thread.:siren:

I'll start:

Chopstix
Nov 20, 2002

Those pictures sir, are certified Bad-rear end

Kolta
Apr 13, 2009
That horse is more bad rear end than riot gear.

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

It's doing more with one leg than most horses do with four :allears:

I also totally didn't see the rider at first, so I thought it was just a trained horse going "welp, flames" and charging through.

Jibo
May 22, 2007

Bear Witness
College Slice

Penguingo posted:

It's doing more with one leg than most horses do with four :allears:

I also totally didn't see the rider at first, so I thought it was just a trained horse going "welp, flames" and charging through.

It's been posted before that supposedly horses will instinctively try to jump through fire to avoid being trapped by it or something. My family raises horses and I've never heard of such a thing, but we generally don't expose them to fire.

redmercer
Sep 15, 2011

by Fistgrrl

Jibo posted:

It's been posted before that supposedly horses will instinctively try to jump through fire to avoid being trapped by it or something. My family raises horses and I've never heard of such a thing, but we generally don't expose them to fire.

Then why the hell do you raise horses? :confused:

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

I think I'm a doctor, but that doesn't make me a doctor. This fancy avatar does.

Chard posted:

It was a filthy, nasty time full of sudden and horrific death, that's for drat sure. I can practically smell this picture:

Right...cause NYC smells like roses and sunshine now.

Though at least it's safer!

(Actually, the absolute worst time in NYC was probably the 70's...high crime, high heat, people gave no fucks about garbage/littering, disco...)

screenwritersblues
Sep 13, 2010
I always thought that there were some badass authors out there, so I did a google image search and this is what I found.

Hemmingway:

Silverstein:

I wish there was more, but GI kinda sucks. I'll come back with more later.

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

I think I'm a doctor, but that doesn't make me a doctor. This fancy avatar does.

screenwritersblues posted:

I always thought that there were some badass authors out there, so I did a google image search and this is what I found.

Hemmingway:

Ok, there needs to be a bio pic about Hemmingway's later years, and Bill Murray needs to play him.

screenwritersblues
Sep 13, 2010

DrBouvenstein posted:

Ok, there needs to be a bio pic about Hemmingway's later years, and Bill Murray needs to play him.

Bill Murry would either play it really good or go and play the drunk version of Hemmingway, which is they only way to play it.

I
Aug 4, 2006

by Y Kant Ozma Post

cowboythreespeech
Dec 28, 2008

parachute? Lake below him? Suicide? Need some context, if you've got it

Darth Freddy
Feb 6, 2007

An Emperor's slightest dislike is transmitted to those who serve him, and there it is amplified into rage.
Looks like a wing suit so probably wing suit and parachute for the landing.

Hasseltkoffie
Nov 22, 2006

yoohoo
Nov 15, 2004
A little disrespect and rudeness can elevate a meaningless interaction to a battle of wills and add drama to an otherwise dull day
There's just something about a dude smokin' a cigarette in the 60's that makes him look loving cool

I don't remember if this has been posted yet or not, but either way it deserves to be posted on each and every page. Felix Baumgartner training to break the world record sky dive. This is from a mere 71,000 feet up.

yoohoo has a new favorite as of 16:29 on Jul 15, 2012

Bodnoirbabe
Apr 30, 2007

yoohoo posted:

There's just something about a dude smokin' a cigarette in the 60's that makes him look loving cool

I don't remember if this has been posted yet or not, but either way it deserves to be posted on each and every page. Felix Baumgartner training to break the world record sky dive. This is from a mere 71,000 feet up.

At what point would you fail to fall back to earth and just start orbiting?

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

Bodnoirbabe posted:

Balloons don't give you orbital velocity, they just float up to the top of the atmosphere.

mad.radhu
Jan 8, 2006

Fun Shoe

Bodnoirbabe posted:

I don't think that's quite how orbital mechanics work.

mad.radhu has a new favorite as of 21:43 on Jul 15, 2012

Der Luftwaffle
Dec 29, 2008

mad.radhu posted:

I don't think that's quite how orbital mechanics work.

I hope that belongs to a police sniper and not something they just found while cleaning one day.

mad.radhu
Jan 8, 2006

Fun Shoe

Der Luftwaffle posted:

I hope that belongs to a police sniper and not something they just found while cleaning one day.

Yup, police snipers.

Bagelsport
Nov 14, 2005

I picked up a doctor - he's good with a knife
Says anaesthetic's a waste
of his time

Der Luftwaffle posted:

Saints bounty scandal keeps getting deeper.

Shubs
Sep 27, 2008

by angerbot

mad.radhu posted:

Yup, police snipers.

Uh what are they trying to prevent at the Giants stadium?

Didion
Mar 16, 2009

Shubs posted:

Uh what are they trying to prevent at the Giants stadium?

Super Bowl, being the massive event that it is, commands heavy rear end security.

Command Ant
Aug 9, 2010

I can make you
worth your weight
in gold!

Der Luftwaffle posted:

Christopher Walken shakes hands with the visiting team's quarterback and the next thing you know...

Darth Freddy
Feb 6, 2007

An Emperor's slightest dislike is transmitted to those who serve him, and there it is amplified into rage.

mad.radhu posted:

Yup, police snipers.

Best view in the entire house and they can't even watch the game. Holly gently caress though. Do they just constantly scan the crowd, wait for a warning, get a call in from a tip line or what. The idea that some guy could possibly be passing a scope over me at a football game unnerves the living hell out of me

Brother Jonathan
Jun 23, 2008

I
Aug 4, 2006

by Y Kant Ozma Post

Vidaeus
Jan 27, 2007

Cats are gonna cat.

Oh wow that is cool. Is it real?

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

Darth Freddy posted:

Best view in the entire house and they can't even watch the game. Holly gently caress though. Do they just constantly scan the crowd, wait for a warning, get a call in from a tip line or what. The idea that some guy could possibly be passing a scope over me at a football game unnerves the living hell out of me

There are plain clothes plants down in the crowd that will radio in coordinates for that guy to check out. He's basically in constant radio contact with people on the ground.

Paper Diamonds
Sep 2, 2011

Darth Freddy posted:

Here's something to consider; if they fire a rifle like that into a crowd, even if they cleanly hit the guy they were aiming at; the round is going to go straight through Mr. Bad Guy and into the guy behind him. And probably into the guy behind him too.

Booblord Zagats
Oct 30, 2011

Pork Pro

Paper Diamonds posted:

Here's something to consider; if they fire a rifle like that into a crowd, even if they cleanly hit the guy they were aiming at; the round is going to go straight through Mr. Bad Guy and into the guy behind him. And probably into the guy behind him too.

Depends heavily on the round being used. Which just looking at the (heavily modified) rifle you really can't tell for certain. My guess is they use something that will fragment on impact and the force will absorb across the person instead of going straight through them.

Paper Diamonds
Sep 2, 2011

Booblord Zagats posted:

Depends heavily on the round being used. Which just looking at the (heavily modified) rifle you really can't tell for certain. My guess is they use something that will fragment on impact and the force will absorb across the person instead of going straight through them.
Modifications to the rifle don't mean anything; the ammunition needs to be going a certain speed to fragment correctly. Not going fast enough means it won't fragment and then you run into over penetration issues as the solid round passes through without breaking apart. A rifle (.223/.308) at ranges of 1/2 a football field (assuming they're over the 50). That's 50 yards, plus whatever distance into the stands, so what, tops 100 yards maybe? Yeah that thing will go through at least one person.

Senf
Nov 12, 2006

Or maybe their thought process is that if the threat is large enough to take somebody out with a rifle at a major sporting event, then the possibility of another loss of life or two is better than a potential several thousand deaths. I realize that's a pretty messed up way to look at things, but yeah. I'm sure all precautions would be taken to ensure a minimal loss of life, but if poo poo happens...poo poo happens, I guess.

This thread got weird, so to get us back on track:

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right
There was a Punisher film released in 2004 starring Thomas Jane which didn't do so well but Jane loves the character so much he recently made a 10 minute short reprising the role, with a guest appearance by Ron Perlman. It's pretty goddamn badass.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bWpK0wsnitc

Found here:
http://www.superherohype.com/news/articles/171815-comic-con-punisher-short-featuring-thomas-jane-a-ron-perlman

Black Griffon
Mar 12, 2005

Now, in the quantum moment before the closure, when all become one. One moment left. One point of space and time.

I know who you are. You are destiny.

Snowglobe of Doom posted:

There was a Punisher film released in 2004 starring Thomas Jane which didn't do so well but Jane loves the character so much he recently made a 10 minute short reprising the role, with a guest appearance by Ron Perlman. It's pretty goddamn badass.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bWpK0wsnitc

Found here:
http://www.superherohype.com/news/articles/171815-comic-con-punisher-short-featuring-thomas-jane-a-ron-perlman

This is loving good. Anyone who is a fan of Tom Jane, Ron Perlman, the Punisher or fun should watch this.

Also, you might enjoy it if you liked the way they did the violence in Drive. The tempo is quite similar in some ways.

StarfishPrime
Jul 16, 2003

Somebody order an ass full of pipe wrench?

Black Griffon posted:

This is loving good. Anyone who is a fan of Tom Jane, Ron Perlman, the Punisher or fun should watch this.

Also, you might enjoy it if you liked the way they did the violence in Drive. The tempo is quite similar in some ways.

drat good, but why does someone always throw the zippo. I don't think I've ever seen a movie involving someone getting set on fire and a zippo that didn't have someone throwing the zippo. Waste of a good lighter.

TITTIEKISSER69
Mar 19, 2005

SAVE THE BEES
PLANT MORE TREES
CLEAN THE SEAS
KISS TITTIESS

StarfishPrime posted:

drat good, but why does someone always throw the zippo. I don't think I've ever seen a movie involving someone getting set on fire and a zippo that didn't have someone throwing the zippo. Waste of a good lighter.

Because you can take your hands off a zippo and it keeps burning. Can't do that with a typical plastic lighter.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

StarfishPrime
Jul 16, 2003

Somebody order an ass full of pipe wrench?

Lovie Unsmith posted:

Because you can take your hands off a zippo and it keeps burning. Can't do that with a typical plastic lighter.

Yeah, I get that, but light a pants leg on fire or something. Or some dry grass or a rolled up newspaper. Movies are driving up the cost of zippos because every time you see a zippo someone chucks it onto someone covered in something flammable. Use a Bic, damnit.

• Locked thread