Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Horn
Jun 18, 2004

Penetration is the key to success
College Slice

randyest posted:

iPads are 9.7" :q:

edit: he did ask for tablets between 7" and 10" and didn't specify OS (even though this is the android tablet thread) and there really aren't many options in that window. Sorry if it came across as a threadshit; that wasn't my intention. :shobon:

My wife has an ipad 3 and its a little large. I assumed it was 10" which is kind of a bummer since that turns me off from the Asus prime even more.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

randyest
Sep 1, 2004

by R. Guyovich

Horn posted:

My wife has an ipad 3 and its a little large. I assumed it was 10" which is kind of a bummer since that turns me off from the Asus prime even more.
Yeah the primes are 10.10" (7.11" x 10.35") so if a pad3 is too big at 9.7" (7.31" x 9.5") that won't work for you unless the different aspect ratio helps somehow. There's not a lot in the 8.5" territory unless you want to go super minimalistic -- what do you want to be able to do with it? Just e-read? Notes? Movies? Games? All of the above?

w00tazn
Dec 25, 2004
I don't say w00t in real life
I know we've curtailed the nexus 7 preorder/retail/shipping talk but I just wanted to rant that I put my order in on the 27th a few hours after the reveal and I still haven't received any shipping confirmations at all =(.

I wonder if it's somehow related to bundling it with the case. Not mad or anything, just annoyed.

SpacePope
Nov 9, 2009

Does anyone know when we'll get the TF700 in Canada? It should be the same as the USA but I can't find anything about Canada.

General_Failure
Apr 17, 2005

w00tazn posted:

I know we've curtailed the nexus 7 preorder/retail/shipping talk but I just wanted to rant that I put my order in on the 27th a few hours after the reveal and I still haven't received any shipping confirmations at all =(.

I wonder if it's somehow related to bundling it with the case. Not mad or anything, just annoyed.

I preordered from EB and they were pretty forthcoming. Admittedly I canceled it now Because the Elf II is actually a pretty rear end kicking tablet for 1/3 of the price of a Nexus 7. If the Nexus had an SD card slot, HDMI and proper OTG support it'd still be on preorder.

chemosh6969
Jul 3, 2004

code:
cat /dev/null > /etc/professionalism

I am in fact a massive asswagon.
Do not let me touch computer.

Mister Fister posted:

Macmall is ironically selling the Nexus 7 with free shipping and for many people no tax:

http://slickdeals.net/f/4882390-Nexus-7-w-no-tax-free-shipping-at-Macmall

It's only ironic if you had no idea they have also been selling things like PCs for years.

Hoppin Tin
Mar 5, 2004

SURFS UP BRO!
Fun Shoe

General_Failure posted:

I preordered from EB and they were pretty forthcoming. Admittedly I canceled it now Because the Elf II is actually a pretty rear end kicking tablet for 1/3 of the price of a Nexus 7. If the Nexus had an SD card slot, HDMI and proper OTG support it'd still be on preorder.

I totally want a Anal Elf Tablet.

er, Ainol

Hoppin Tin fucked around with this message at 06:12 on Jul 16, 2012

7 Bowls of Wrath
Mar 30, 2007
Thats so metal.
Finally rooted and installed JB on my kindle fire ,totally amazing...I underestimated the difference between JB and gingerbread.

Tried out nova launcher, but was getting a weird lack of screen sensitivity on the dock so I switched back to the stock launcher. Anyone else experience this?

General_Failure
Apr 17, 2005

Hoppin Tin posted:

I totally want a Anal Elf Tablet.

er, Ainol

Ainol Elf II. The II is the important bit. That is the dual core with dual Mali 400 GPUs. The Aurora II is the IPS touchscreen version and the Paladin is the MIPS based one, which apparently also utilizes a scary sounding program called Code Magic which can run ARM native apks on a MIPS platform.

I did a writeup on the Elf II in the recommendation thread. It's really very good if you pussyfoot around the internal NAND. It's possible to corrupt it copying with USB which needs a wipe using the recovery menu to restore it to working again. I've had success copying files one at a time as opposed to Windows and Xorg's everything at once clusterfuck which brings a few devices to their knees.

Only about an hour ago I was playing GTA3 on it. It was acting a bit choppy this time but I think it was because there was a few things running in the background and I didn't have the CPU set to performance.

This week hopefully I'll be ordering another one. The first one was a birthday present that i keep stealing back to play with. It seems as though because that will cheapen the birthday present I'm getting her a quad core for xmas assuming they are pumping them out by then.

Edit: Remember, "Enjoy life, Enjoy Ainol!"

Seriously. That's their motto. Their logo even has an "*" prefix.

General_Failure
Apr 17, 2005

7 Bowls of Wrath posted:

...I underestimated the difference between JB and gingerbread.

Please do tell. I figured it'd be a few bugfixes ("Wrong SD Card. Error!") and GUI tweaks mostly. What does 4.1 have in store for the rest of us?

randyest
Sep 1, 2004

by R. Guyovich

General_Failure posted:

Ainol Elf II. The II is the important bit. That is the dual core with dual Mali 400 GPUs. The Aurora II is the IPS touchscreen version and the Paladin is the MIPS based one, which apparently also utilizes a scary sounding program called Code Magic which can run ARM native apks on a MIPS platform.
Is that where the semi-native emulation kicks in? This stuff is so interesting to me so thanks for sharing your knowledge and understanding in a way I can understand it somewhat. I have to admit I'm not nearly as knowledgeable about the ARM architecture and emulation as you are so I really appreciate you sharing your expertise.

For those of you who haven't been following the General's highly informative posts in the other thread you can start here to get up to speed. It is great to know I can get a couple of Ainol's for less than the cost of one nexus 7! My wife and I will be enjoying our dual Ainols instead of driving all over town or waiting for nexus 7's to ship!

General_Failure
Apr 17, 2005

randyest posted:

Is that where the semi-native emulation kicks in? This stuff is so interesting to me so thanks for sharing your knowledge and understanding in a way I can understand it somewhat. I have to admit I'm not nearly as knowledgeable about the ARM architecture and emulation as you are so I really appreciate you sharing your expertise.

For those of you who haven't been following the General's highly informative posts in the other thread you can start here to get up to speed. It is great to know I can get a couple of Ainol's for less than the cost of one nexus 7! My wife and I will be enjoying our dual Ainols instead of driving all over town or waiting for nexus 7's to ship!

Don't be mistaken that the nexus and the Ainol are two very different beasts, but the Elf II (and by extension the Aurora II) can really shine with some tweaks. No matter how tempting the Tegra 3 chipset is we're both more than happy with the Cortex / Mali combo especially because of the huge price difference and relatively minor performance payoff.

With the ARM native stuff on MIPS, quite probably yes. I absolutely despised writing MIPS RISC assembler, but one thing I can say is such a simple architecture allows for some extremely neat tricks.
I've been wondering if the Paladin has something to do with China's Loongson architecture which is an attempt to declare technological independence by utilizing their own MIPS based architecure for PCs and devices. I like MIPS as an idea, but it really needs a fast bus and RAM to go with it or it falls flat.

Although I've had my heart set on a Transformer prime since the first time I heard of them and wanted one even more after trying them out, I realised recently that for a shade over $100 I can get something that outperforms most of the far more expensive TFxxx series, chuck a generic 7" keyboard case on it and I've got pretty much the same thing. Add a USB hub with either a BT or cable tether to my phone and I have 3G and GPS.
So really I can't justify the far higher expense for a little bit of convenience. Anyway if a ~$110 Elf II gets broken by my kids I'll be a lot less miffed than I would be with a $300 Nexus 7 or a $500+ Transformer.
Bonus being it played a 720p MKV without missing a beat. Connect this thing to my Aspire One and I have the cut down dev setup I've been wanting for when I'm stuck away from home "busy waiting".

Die Sexmonster!
Nov 30, 2005

General_Failure posted:

Please do tell. I figured it'd be a few bugfixes ("Wrong SD Card. Error!") and GUI tweaks mostly. What does 4.1 have in store for the rest of us?

Your tablet doesn't have Google search? http://www.android.com/about/jelly-bean/

General_Failure
Apr 17, 2005

Pyroxene Stigma posted:

Your tablet doesn't have Google search? http://www.android.com/about/jelly-bean/

It's not my tablet :( you wouldn't happen to frequent thesamba would you? A reply like that...

I kind of wanted to know the perspective of an end user rather than a tarted up changelog. Not "it now has feature xyz" but rather "x is nice because it is a lot easier". "Y seems more responsive". That sort of thing.

Thanks for the link by the way. No sarcasm. Didn't realise they had a page like that.

Die Sexmonster!
Nov 30, 2005
Google Now and voice search are pretty excellent, they're what I've used the most. It didn't automatically add a card when I searched for a flight number though.

The largest improvement that can't be stated enough is how smooth everything is.

General_Failure
Apr 17, 2005

Pyroxene Stigma posted:

Google Now and voice search are pretty excellent, they're what I've used the most. It didn't automatically add a card when I searched for a flight number though.

The largest improvement that can't be stated enough is how smooth everything is.

Now that's good to know. I'm a big fan of smooth. Google Now is an interesting concept. I'm looking ofrward to giving it a ry for myself.

back to the smoothness, I've found ICS to be pretty slick. Where are the improvements noticeable?

-typos :(

General_Failure fucked around with this message at 09:12 on Jul 16, 2012

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

I'm a terrible forums poster with terrible opinions.

Here's a cat fucking a squid.

Pyroxene Stigma posted:

I wonder how well it carries over to older, less powerful hardware?

ICS was a massive smoothness upgrade on both my tablet (A500) and phone (Nexus S) so I'm going to be blown away if its anything like as big a jump again. Not that I expect the A500 to get JB officially of course.

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

dissss posted:

I wonder how well it carries over to older, less powerful hardware?

ICS was a massive smoothness upgrade on both my tablet (A500) and phone (Nexus S) so I'm going to be blown away if its anything like as big a jump again. Not that I expect the A500 to get JB officially of course.

According to a friend of mine that put JB on his Nexus S, it's much smoother than ICS or GB ever was. Granted he still wants to go back to his dual-core RAZR MAXX because he likes the larger screen and whatnot but he said JB on the Nexus S is pretty drat good.

I asked him to do some tests and for 2 days, he never had any launcher redraws and the Browser was pretty decent as well. I don't think he likes Chrome so he hasn't tried it.

It makes me think that less powerful phones and tablets should be able to run Jelly Bean just fine.

General_Failure
Apr 17, 2005
That's very good news. I like when updates are optimizations and not bloating. From what I can understand from the Ainol English site they are going to be doing a JB update along with the firmware updates so I suppose that's a net win.

Incidentally just killed some extraneous apps and related services, bumped the CPU up to "Performace" for the sake of it and tried GTA3 again. No problems. Unfortunately the accelerometer is sideways in it so unless you use an app to correct for that it's pointless. From what I've read it's a GTA3 specific crappy accelerometer handling issue across multiple devices. :( After having another go I realised that about a decade on I still know the game back to front. Still one of my favourite games of all time.

Bob A Feet
Aug 10, 2005
Dear diary, I got another erection today at work. SO embarrassing, but kinda hot. The CO asked me to fix up his dress uniform. I had stayed late at work to move his badges 1/8" to the left and pointed it out this morning. 1SG spanked me while the CO watched, once they caught it. Tomorrow I get to start all over again...

General_Failure posted:

Now that's good to know. I'm a big fan of smooth. Google Now is an interesting concept. I'm looking ofrward to giving it a ry for myself.

back to the smoothness, I've found ICS to be pretty slick. Where are the improvements noticeable?

-typos :(

With JB, its everything. Opening the app drawer, recent apps, notifications. Everything is lightning quick and extremely smooth. Ever had an HTC sense phone? They tried to have smooth transitions but it ate ram so it was disable-able. Now its all smooth and it doesn't slow down the phone. Literally everything is smooth

Mighty Horse
Jul 24, 2007

Speed, Class, Bankruptcy.

Horn posted:

Are there any tablets available at retail that fall in between the 7 and 10 inch sizes? The xyboard at 8.2 or the tab at 7.7 & 8.9 are all I can find and they just seem to be wireless exclusives.

You can get the Xyboard wifi only..

http://www.motorola.com/us/consumers/MOTOROLA-XYBOARD-8.2-with-WIFI/96381,en_US,pd.html

It's a really well put together tablet, but I don't know if its worth $400.

Mister Fister
May 17, 2008

D&D: HASBARA SQUAD
KILL-GORE

I love the smell of dead Palestinians in the morning.
You know, one time we had Gaza bombed for 26 days
(and counting!)

General_Failure posted:

I did a writeup on the Elf II in the recommendation thread. It's really very good if you pussyfoot around the internal NAND. It's possible to corrupt it copying with USB which needs a wipe using the recovery menu to restore it to working again. I've had success copying files one at a time as opposed to Windows and Xorg's everything at once clusterfuck which brings a few devices to their knees.

Only about an hour ago I was playing GTA3 on it. It was acting a bit choppy this time but I think it was because there was a few things running in the background and I didn't have the CPU set to performance.

This week hopefully I'll be ordering another one. The first one was a birthday present that i keep stealing back to play with. It seems as though because that will cheapen the birthday present I'm getting her a quad core for xmas assuming they are pumping them out by then.

Edit: Remember, "Enjoy life, Enjoy Ainol!"

Seriously. That's their motto. Their logo even has an "*" prefix.

Hmm, i tried searching for 3rd party ROMs but don't see any (maybe i'm not searching right), i'd be interested if there was 3rd party support so i could see JB and other releases on it.

Mister Fister
May 17, 2008

D&D: HASBARA SQUAD
KILL-GORE

I love the smell of dead Palestinians in the morning.
You know, one time we had Gaza bombed for 26 days
(and counting!)
Watch out guys, the world is coming to an end:

http://techcrunch.com/2012/07/15/omg-he-likes-it-he-really-likes-it/

MG Siegler: "I like the Nexus 7. I really like it."

Maker Of Shoes
Sep 4, 2006

AWWWW YISSSSSSSSSS
DIS IS MAH JAM!!!!!!

Mister Fister posted:

Watch out guys, the world is coming to an end:

http://techcrunch.com/2012/07/15/omg-he-likes-it-he-really-likes-it/

MG Siegler: "I like the Nexus 7. I really like it."

Siegler is a gently caress head for a million reasons, reasons that even aren't his usual anti-Google stance.

http://www.realdanlyons.com/blog/2012/02/13/hit-men-click-whores-and-paid-apologists-welcome-to-the-silicon-cesspool/

He really should be hit by a bus.

Dr. Despair
Nov 4, 2009

39 perfect posts with each roll.

Mister Fister posted:

Hmm, i tried searching for 3rd party ROMs but don't see any (maybe i'm not searching right), i'd be interested if there was 3rd party support so i could see JB and other releases on it.

I don't think there's much hope for excellent third party support for a cheap chinese tablet that's named "anal elf II".

IAmKale
Jun 7, 2007

やらないか

Fun Shoe
Google Now sounds really amazing, and I'm just waiting for my Nexus 7 to arrive so I can test it out myself. Most everything I've read on Now makes it sound really amazing in that it adapts and "learns" how to be a better assistant based on things like usage and geographical position. It got me thinking, though - will its usefulness on the Nexus 7 be handicapped by the fact that the tablet relies on a WiFi signal for data?

Verizian
Dec 18, 2004
The spiky one.

Mr. Despair posted:

I don't think there's much hope for excellent third party support for a cheap chinese tablet that's named "anal elf II".

The thing is it's got instant brand recognition even if you've never seen one you'll know and love the Anal Elf II.

letsgoflyers81
Aug 7, 2003

C IS FOR COOKIE!

potentiometer posted:

Nova works great on the Nexus 7, screen rotates and it seems all the other functions available on Google Nexus are available on the N7.

Yikes, I always liked "that" word, always reminds me of one of the finer things in life.

Welp, back to "Barnes & Noble Nook modified to run on android 3.0"

What home screen layout does Nova Launcher use on the Nexus 7 in landscape? Is it the same phone-ish layout as the sock launcher, or does it switch to the HC/ICS tablet layout? I know people have gotten the tablet layout by changing the screen's DPI, but I'd rather not do that unless I have to.

Nostalgia4Infinity
Feb 27, 2007

10,000 YEARS WASN'T ENOUGH LURKING
Doesn't the anal elf ii have a resistive touch screen?

- resistive screen
- may corrupt your sd card
- "hilarious" name

"Buy, buy, buy!" - general_failure

Rohaq
Aug 11, 2006
So with the blessing of Thermopyle*, I bring you this news:

I called Google today regarding my Nexus 7 preorder (ordered 28/06). According to them, the first set of preorders for the UK should be going out today and tomorrow.

Hopefully this is true, and I wasn't just fobbed off. I guess we'll see.

*For just this post. Don't go crazy, people.

Rohaq fucked around with this message at 16:56 on Jul 16, 2012

Rohaq
Aug 11, 2006

Nostalgia4Infinity posted:

Doesn't the anal elf ii have a resistive touch screen?
Not according to everything I just found on Google.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

TFW you see Flyers goaltending.
Grimey Drawer

Rohaq posted:

Not according to everything I just found on Google.

I think his point is who gives a poo poo about a crap Chinese tablet?

And I don't care how cheap it is, it's just not a good buy.

theultimo
Aug 2, 2004

An RSS feed bot who makes questionable purchasing decisions.
Pillbug

Duckman2008 posted:

I think his point is who gives a poo poo about a crap Chinese tablet?

And I don't care how cheap it is, it's just not a good buy.
think of it this way: it's a Colby kryos with a capacitive screen. Battery life is useless and the display, at 1024x600, is not hd, and has terrible viewing angles in comparison to the nexus 7. It's 129.99 plus shipping I the us. Even with ghosting issues, the nexus 7 is infintimsilally better.

rock2much
Feb 6, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Karthe posted:

Google Now sounds really amazing, and I'm just waiting for my Nexus 7 to arrive so I can test it out myself. Most everything I've read on Now makes it sound really amazing in that it adapts and "learns" how to be a better assistant based on things like usage and geographical position. It got me thinking, though - will its usefulness on the Nexus 7 be handicapped by the fact that the tablet relies on a WiFi signal for data?

One good thing about Cablevision: Optimum WiFi hotspots everywhere. I think they have a deal with time warner and comcast for when I'm out and about. Otherwise I guess I have to wait for CM10 to be available for my Epic 4G or get a new phone if I need those features on the go. My main use for the N7 is reading on the train.

MrMoose
Jan 4, 2003

Happy Happy Joy Joy
anyone else unable to connect their Nexus 7 to a corporate wifi network? Brought mine in to work this morning and it just loops from connecting to disconnected constantly. On 4.1.1. My Galaxy Nexus on 4.0.4 connects just fine, and has since I bought it.

From what I'm hearing, this may be a 4.1.1 thing, but was wondering if anyone here had the issue and figured out a workaround.

illcendiary
Dec 4, 2005

Damn, this is good coffee.

theultimo posted:

think of it this way: it's a Colby kryos with a capacitive screen. Battery life is useless and the display, at 1024x600, is not hd, and has terrible viewing angles in comparison to the nexus 7. It's 129.99 plus shipping I the us. Even with ghosting issues, the nexus 7 is infintimsilally better.

I don't think you know what infinitesimal means.

Or maybe you do :laugh:

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

TFW you see Flyers goaltending.
Grimey Drawer

theultimo posted:

poo poo, when you put it that way sign me up, it's only $129!

Syrinxx
Mar 28, 2002

Death is whimsical today

theultimo posted:

Even with ghosting issues, the nexus 7 is infintimsilally better.
I think you mean infinitely better. And yes these cheap rear end tablets just aren't worth saving $70 compared to the two tablets at $200 that are actually good.

theultimo
Aug 2, 2004

An RSS feed bot who makes questionable purchasing decisions.
Pillbug

illcendiary posted:

I don't think you know what infinitesimal means.

Or maybe you do :laugh:
darned you iPhone autocorrect! I was gonna put infinitally, but it came out wonky :/

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

...the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt. —Bertrand Russell

theultimo posted:

darned you iPhone autocorrect! I was gonna put infinitally, but it came out wonky :/

Probably because infinitally isn't a word.