Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

XyloJW
Jul 23, 2007
Sorry, I worked in a number of restaurants for almost a decade. I get touchy about that topic, but I'm also aware it's a thread-killer.

We cool, Loving Life Partner. :)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nth Doctor
Sep 7, 2010

Darkrai used Dream Eater!
It's super effective!

XyloJW posted:

We cool, Loving Life Partner. :)
:3: So much warmth in the thread.

MC Nietzche
Oct 26, 2004

by exmarx

Nth Doctor posted:

:3: So much warmth in the thread.

Unacceptable, we need more blood for the blood god!

VanSandman
Feb 16, 2011
SWAP.AVI EXCHANGER

Loving Life Partner posted:

Maybe the answer is somewhere in the middle :unsmith:

God, I hate this phrase. I hate it so much. Don't hate you, just that phrase.

archangelwar posted:

Hey, leave her alone. She is Just Asking Questions™.

This one too.

VanSandman fucked around with this message at 17:24 on Jul 15, 2012

Mr. Belding
May 19, 2006
^
|
<- IS LAME-O PHOBE ->
|
V

XyloJW posted:

But now his phone's wet. :ohdear:

Of course, my phone is completely waterproof, shockproof, oilproof, and scratchproof...

Thanks to technology from aliens that Obama is hiding in area 51 (his favorite verse from the Kooram).

nelson
Apr 12, 2009
College Slice

quote:

Subject: Merely passing this on as received.

Written by a female Obama supporter who voted for him for president.

Legitimate Questions:

This election has me very worried. So many things to consider. I voted for Obama. McCain was a Washington insider and we don't need any more of them. I have changed my mind three times, since then. I watch all the news channels, jumping from one to another. I must say this drives my husband crazy. But, I feel if you view CNN, and Fox News, you might get some middle ground to work with. I started thinking "where does all the money come from for President Obama"? I have four daughters who went to College, and we were middle class, and money was tight. We (including my girls) worked hard and there were lots of student loans. I started looking into Obama's history for my own peace of mind.

Around 1979 Obama started college at Occidental in California . He is very open about his two years at Occidental, he tried all kinds of drugs and was wasting his time but, even though he had a brilliant mind, did not apply himself to his studies. "Barry" (that was the name he used all his life) during this time had two roommates, Muhammad Hasan Chandoo and Wahid Hamid, both from Pakistan.

During the summer of 1981, after his second year in college, he made a "round the world" trip. Stopping to see his mother in Indonesia , next Hyderabad in India , three weeks in Karachi , Pakistan where he stayed with his roommate's family, then off to Africa to visit his father's family.

My question - Where did he get the money for this trip? Nether I, nor any one of my children would have had money for a trip like this when they were in college. When he came back he started school at Columbia University in New York.

It is at this time he wants everyone to call him Barack - not Barry. Do you know what the tuition is at Columbia ? It's not cheap to say the least. My girls asked me; where did he get money for tuition? Student Loans? Maybe it's none of my business?

After Columbia , he went to Chicago to work as a Community Organizer for $12,000. a year. Why Chicago ? Why not New York ? He was already living in New York . By "chance" he met Antoin "Tony" Rezko, born in Aleppo Syria , and a real estate developer in Chicago . Rezko has been convicted of fraud and bribery several times in the past and in 2011. Rezko, was named "Entrepreneur of the Decade" by the Arab-American Business and Professional Association". About two years later, Obama entered Harvard Law School . Do you have any idea what tuition is for Harvard Law School ? Where did he get the money for Law School ? More student loans? His family has no money that's for sure.

After Law school, he went back to Chicago. Rezko offered him a job, which he turned down. But, he did take a job with Davis, Miner, Barnhill & Galland. Guess what I discovered? They represented "Rezar" which is Rezko's firm. Rezko was one of Obama's first major financial contributors when he ran for office in Chicago . In 2003, Rezko threw an early fundraiser for Obama which Chicago Tribune reporter David Mendelland claims was instrumental in providing Obama with "seed money" for his U.S. Senate race. In 2005, Obama purchased a new home in Kenwoood District of Chicago for $1.65 million (less than asking price). With ALL those Student Loans - Where did he get the money for this property? On the same day Rezko's wife, Rita, purchased the adjoining empty lot for full price. The London Times reported that Nadhmi Auchi, an Iraqi-born Billionaire loaned Rezko $3.5 million three weeks before Obama's new home was purchased. Obama met Nadhmi Auchi many times with Rezko.

Now, we have Obama running for President. Valerie Jarrett, was Michele Obama's boss. She is now Obama's chief advisor and he does not make any major decisions without talking to her first. Where was Jarrett born? Ready for this? Shiraz , Iran ! Am I going nuts or is there a pattern here? On May 10, 2008, The Times reported, Robert Malley advisor to Obama was "sacked" after the press found out he was having regular contacts with "Hamas", which controls Gaza and is connected with Iran.

This past week, buried in the back part of the papers, Iraqi newspapers reported that during Obama's visit to Iraq , he asked their leaders to do nothing about the war until after he is elected, and he will "Take care of things". What the heck does that mean? Oh, and by the way, remember the college roommates that were born in Pakistan? They are in charge of all those "small" Internet campaign contributions for Obama. Where is that money coming from? The poor and middle class in this country? Or could it be from the Middle East ? And the final bit of news. On September 7, 2009, The Washington Times posted a verbal slip that was made on "This Week" with George Stephanopoulos. Obama on talking about his religion said, "My Muslim faith". When questioned, "he made a mistake". Some mistake huh? All of the above information I got on line. If you would like to check it - Wikipedia, encyclopedia, Barack Obama; Tony Rezko; Valerie Jarrett: Daily Times - Obama visited Pakistan in 1981; The Washington Times - September 7, 2008; The Times May 10, 2008.

Now the BIG question - If I found out all this information on my own, Why haven't all of our "intelligent" members of the press been reporting this? Is this a Kettle of Fish??

As Arsenio Hall would say.----"HUMMMMMMM! Does something stink or is it my imagination?" These are legitimate questions for our president.

Rachelle Derrough Provider - M.D., RS - PHYSICIANS FOR WOMEN CoxHealth

JUST WONDERING -- Foreign Student printed on the bottom of his ID...

TLDR: How could Obama possibly pay for college and a trip around the world? Also he's secretly Muslim!

archangelwar
Oct 28, 2004

Teaching Moments
Hey, leave her alone. She is Just Asking Questions™.

myron cope
Apr 21, 2009

quote:

Am I going nuts or is there a pattern here?
You're going nuts, problem solved!

Iceberg-Slim
Oct 7, 2003

no re okay
Start with a fact or two, something easily verifiable to throw even the skeptic with Google off guard. Throw in a few Real Things that people Recognize such as CNN, Fox News, and the nation of Pakistan for verisimilitude. Now, simply present the evidence and let the reader come to his or her (probably "his" despite the unnecessary mention of being a female Obama supporter) own conclusion. Conservatism :smug:

Blarghalt
May 19, 2010

Some creationist PMed me on youtube. Here's our exchange thus far:

FeatherSwordX posted:

No?? Then why on earth do these websites
[url]http://[/url] evolution . berkeley . edu/evosite/evo101/IIIC1aRandom . shtml
[url]http://[/url] science . howstuffworks . com/environmental/life/evolution/evolution6 . htm

Say that natural selection IS random. Though to be entirely honest, one needs to admit that while some people will deny evolution being random, others will say otherwise. The dictionary definition of random is; made, done, happening, or chosen without method or a conscious decision. That sounds just like evolution to me!

Me posted:

Those two links you just gave me refer to actual genetic mutation, which is indeed random.

The process by which certain species thrive and others become extinct is not. When an organism in a certain environment is born, it thrives depending on the traits it has received form its parents. If they are beneficial, the organism survives to reproduce.

They are not necessarily killed if their traits are unhelpful, but unhelpful traits do guarantee that they will eventually outpaced by the organisms much better suited to the environment they are in.

The method in which organisms change is the environment favoring the organism that is best suited for it, hence the term 'natural selection'.

FeatherSwordX posted:

Natural Selection does not "choose" which organism to be the fittest, it "chooses" THE fittest to survive. So, to take that to it's logical conclusion, there is no reason why any organism should be the fittest other than by the random chance genetic mutation.

Even IF natural selection were not random, that still means your brain formed by unconscious processes which were not at all interested in making you intelligent, all it cared about was making sure you produce babies. So that means, because you were formed by a naturalistic process that was not at all intelligently designed, you therefore need to believe that your brain is functioning properly without any proof that it is...

That is the full extent to your atheistic, naturalistic, evolutionary worldview. And I as an intellectually honest, thinking person, cannot buy that.

Me posted:

That's a bit of a simplification. Evolution chooses whatever organism is best at propagating its own numbers, within its own niche. Ever wonder why there's so many insects?

Your second paragraph is just complete nonsense. What the heck are you even trying to say? I would say that both of our brains are functioning properly because we're able to type out words and breathe. That would be proof enough, unless you think I'm imagining all of this.

Creationism is not an intellectually honest discipline, though, what with the widespread quote mining and lack of peer review by actual experts.

FeatherSwordX posted:

Your speaking about evolution as though it is a conscious thinking entity, even though, that's equivalent to saying that the thunderstorm chose to strike down that tree instead of the other one. When in reality it is simply nature taking place.

I am saying that without having external prior authority, no one can prove that anything exists, no one would be able to prove a thing at all, because you would have to arbitrarily presuppose that your brain is functioning properly at all times.

You don't know, but the fact that you're reading these words right now, could be an illusion, but unreasonably, you presuppose that your brain is reliable, even though it merely a network of chemical reactions - an organ evolved to a higher order.

Because if naturalisms is true, you have no reason to trust your own brain, because no one designed it intelligently, it just formed by the laws of physics, with no concern for your beliefs or that your cognitive abilities are actually able to form true beliefs concerning reality.

Ultimately, it is no use arguing with you, if you cannot be intellectually honest with yourself. I am simply wasting my time with you, if you are going to cling to a worldview that is utmost irrational.]

And then I get kind of annoyed:

Me posted:

"Your speaking about evolution as though it is a conscious thinking entity, even though, that's equivalent to saying that the thunderstorm chose to strike down that tree instead of the other one. When in reality it is simply nature taking place."

I never said that, and now you're spouting off a bunch of crazy horsecrap about solipsism.

"Ultimately, it is no use arguing with you, if you cannot be intellectually honest with yourself. I am simply wasting my time with you, if you are going to cling to a worldview that is utmost irrational."

Are you interesting in learning facts, are or just going to keep going back to this pointless line about how we can't trust our own brains?

Modern science is not built on the foundations of the observations of one person, it's the arrived consensus of many minds, and the observations of one biologist have to confirmed by another, often many others.

What you're doing is just throwing up your arms and going 'Our brains are unreliable if evolution is right!' but the fact that you're using a computer, or that you didn't die from disease before the age of five is a pretty good testament to the overall reliability of human intelligence.

What I'm trying to explain to you is how evolution works, not metaphysical nonsense about the infallibility of our own minds.

DarkHorse
Dec 13, 2006

Nap Ghost
I'd say the high rates of mental illness, humanity's propensity for depression and hallucination, and the long history of sociopaths and mass murderers is evidence that our species' minds don't function all that well. Even with perfectly functioning minds you have optical illusions that prove the brain makes a lot of shortcuts and assumptions that work most of the time, but can seriously distort perception in the right circumstances.

To flip his argument about solipsism back on him, if he believes in God and demons and all that other supernatural stuff, what guarantee does he have that it isn't some entity fooling with his perception? There are plenty of examples in the Bible of supernatural creatures messing with the senses, giving visions, that sort of thing. It seems to me that sort of reality is much more prone to being misled, especially considering that were it true all the evidence for evolution would be fabricated, the work of a super-powerful rear end in a top hat. At least with science and assuming there are not any supernatural things happening we can objectively test and deduce the truth.

I'm sure you know this, but if you want to continue the dialog maybe clarify that mutation is random, natural selection is the filtering of those mutations for beneficial ones and eliminating bad ones. His use of "choose" and "choosing" and even the term "selection" itself is a verb that can imply the action of a rational actor, a weakness of the language we use to describe the process. As an analogy, we could say that a boulder "chooses" to follow the path worn by a stream when it rolls downhill, guided by the stream's banks. But just because there isn't intelligence doesn't mean there isn't direction; in the same way, selection guides which mutations become prevalent in a population. Intelligence was selected for because it's a valuable tool for surviving in diverse and rapidly changing environments in a way that instinct cannot compete against.

Tomahawk
Aug 13, 2003

HE KNOWS
Below is a list of Obama’s documented lies so far with the most recent lies first. If you see we are missing a documented lie Submit the lie here.

Lies During Third YearI will walk on that picket line with you, if workers are denied the right to bargain.
Youtube

In his 2012 State of the Union Address, President Obama said that American oil production is the highest that it’s been in eight years.
https://www.breitbart.com

I’ve done more for Israel’s security than any President ever
Obama aided Islamic Extremists take over of Egypt/ Libya – Weapons pour into Gaza

Virtually every Senate Republican voted against the tax cut last week
Examiner

“Every idea that we’ve put forward are ones that traditionally have been supported by Democrats and Republicans alike.”
Like Raising taxes?

Obama met highly qualified out of work teacher Robert Baroz
He wasn’t out of work and Obama never met him.

GOP Responsible for Obama Jobs Bill Not Passing
Dems Rejected Jobs Bill

You have 80 percent of the American people who support a balanced approach. Eighty percent of the American people support an approach that includes revenues and includes cuts. So the notion that somehow the American people aren’t sold is not the problem
Gallup Poll: Only 69%

These are obligations that the United States has taken on in the past. Congress has run up the credit card, and we now have an obligation to pay our bills.
Looks like it’s been incurred mostly in the years of Obama

Jobs Bill Paid for
Seems not so much Paid for

Then you’ve got their(GOP)which is dirtier air, dirtier water, less people with health insurance
Barack Obama, campaiging in Asheville, NC, 10/17/11
I cannot guarantee that those checks go out on August 3rd if we haven’t resolved this issue. Because there may simply not be the money in the coffers to do it.
American.com

USA producing more oil than ever before
Petroleum Insights

Fence between US and Mexico is “Practically Complete”
Department of Homeland Security says 5%

Rich doesn’t pay their fair share.
National Taxpayers Union

Mitt Romney would deny gay people the right to adopt children.
Cnn Interview

Lies During Second Year
Obama claimed the SCOTUS decision in Citizens United v. FEC, “open[ed] the floodgates for special interests — including foreign corporations — to spend without limit in our elections.
nationalreview.com

No signing statements to nullify or undermine congressional instructions as enacted into law
Obama Lies to Keep Czars

No “boots” on the ground Libya
Anyone that has worked with the AC-130 gunship can tell you, you need spotters to let aircraft know where the targets are. Usually it is Special Forces, Rangers etc trained for this mission. It’s CIA Agents in Libya on the ground

Reform will also rein in the abuse and excess that nearly brought down our financial system. It will finally bring transparency to the kinds of complex, risky transactions that helped trigger the financial crisis.
Obama Lies About Financial Reform Bill

All Americans WILL BE were, “surprised, disappointed and angry” about lockerbie bomber
Obama Memo

I will not rest until the BP Oil Spill stops
Obama’s Schedule
The health care bill will not increase the deficit by one dime.
Campaign and Presidency
If you like the health care plan you have you can keep it
TownHall

“Under our plan, no federal dollars will be used to fund abortions, and federal conscience laws will remain in place.”
U.S. Capitol, Washington, D.C., September 9, 2009.

ObamaCare Fee is not a new tax
Obama denies healthcare is a new tax on all Americans

We have run out of places in the US to drill for oil.
Obama’s oval office speech in June 2010

Now suddenly if you don’t have your papers and you took your kid out to get ice cream, you can be harassed, that’s something that could potentially happen.
Arizona Immigration Law

Doctors choose amputation because they get better compensation. Greedy Doctors taking out tonsils for more money.
Claims never documented

The Health Care Package will pay for itself
Time

Republicans don’t have a single idea that’s different from George Bush’s ideas — not one.
Hmm Immigration?

We shouldn’t Mandate the purchase of health care
Democratic Debate Lies

Obama says he’ll save average family $8,000 in gas
Video Proof

I am immediately instituting PayGo “Pay as you go”
Said during a speech immediately after the Trillion Dollar “Shovel Ready” bill.

I got the Message from Massachusetts
Daily Bail

Lies During First Year
We began by passing a Recovery Act that has already saved or created over 150,000 jobs.” – caught cooking the books and now changed to ‘jobs supported’ versus ‘created/saved’
AP fact Checker

Number one, we inherited a $1.3 trillion deficit. … That wasn’t me.” – Congress, under Democratic control in 2007 and 2008, controlled the purse strings that led to the deficit Obama inherited.Obama supported the emergency bailout package in Bush’s final months — a package Democratic leaders wanted to make bigger.
AP fact Checker

Collective salvation
Obama calls himself a Christian
I do solemnly swear (or affirm) that I will faithfully execute the Office of President of the United States, and will to the best of my ability, preserve, protect and defend the Constitution of the United States.
Obama Inauguration. 20 Jan 2009

Cut Deficit in Half by end of first term
Associated Press Video

Health Care deals will be covered on C-span
Obama Lies

As President I will recognize the Armenian Genocide
ABC

Recovery Act will save or create jobs
ABC News

Unemployment rate will be 8.5% without stimulus.
Obama Lies

No Earmarks in the $787 Billion Stimulus
CNN

I happen to be a proponent of a single payer universal health care plan
Specator.Org

We have launched a housing plan that will help responsible families facing the threat of foreclosure lower their monthly payments and refinance their mortgages.
Obama Lies

I am not somebody who promotes same-sex marriage.
NPR

Guantanamo bay to be closed within a year
Council on Foreign Relations.

Won’t Raise taxes on those making less than 250,000 per year.
Businessweek: Obama Agnostic on taxes
List of Tax Promise Violations

2008 Campaign Lies
I will walk the picket line with you, if workers are denied the right to bargain
Youtube

No more wiretapping of citizens
Youtube

Mr. Ayers as “a guy who lives in my neighborhood,” but “not somebody who I exchange ideas from on a regular basis.
News Busters
I had a uncle who was one of the, who was part of the first American troops to go into Auschwitz and liberate the concentration camps
United States Holocaust Memorial Museum
Obama campaign would accept public funding
ABC

Minimum Wage will increase to $9.50/hr
A Socialist

Ann Dunham spent the months before her death in 1995 fighting with insurance companies that sought to deny her the coverage she needed to pay for treatment.
Mounting Heath Care Lies

Didn’t know Jeremiah Wright was Radical
Dreams of My Father – A radical Socialist.

Would have the most transparent administration in History
Cato Institute

We will go through our federal budget – page by page, line by line – eliminating those programs we don’t need, and insisting that those we do operate in a sensible cost-effective way.
Boston Globe

I have visited all 57 states.
Snopes

I’ll get rid of earmarks
Source: Any bill passed during presidency

When a bill lands on my Desk, The American people will have 5 days to review it before I sign it.
Campaign Speech

My father served in World War II.
The Videos and the Facts

Have troops out of Iraq by March 31, 2009
News Video

Seniors Making less than 50,000 will not have to pay taxes
YouTube

Would not vote for any bill supporting troop funding without a firm withdrawal commitment from the Bush Administration.
He has done nothing but continue the Bush admins strategy and to explain how the “surges total failure” has now become his greatest achievement.

Present Votes Are Common In Illinois
NPR

I Won Michigan
Huffington Post

I won Nevada
The Nation

I don’t Have Lobbyists
US News

My Campaign Had Nothing To Do With The 1984 Ad
Crooks and Liars

I Have Always Been Against Iraq
Washington Post

My Wife Didn’t Mean What She Said About Pride In Country
CNN

Barack was never an ACORN trainer and never worked for ACORN in any other capacity.
Obama Campaign Video

I Barely Know Rezko
Sun Times

My Church Is Like Any Other Christian Church
ABC News

HOW DO SOURCES WORK

Idran
Jan 13, 2005
Grimey Drawer

XyloJW posted:

Yes, that is the law. However, most states in the US are "At-will" hiring, which means you can be fired for "No stated reason," which most definitely includes bitching at them because you're not making minimum wage. No manager will keep paying you an extra $5 an hour, when they can just fire you for no reason and hire someone else in a week's time. Or even better, hire them, and have you train them.

With the job market as it is, waitress/server work is basically a trap, where you end up poorer than before you took the job, because you fall further and further behind. "I'll make more money next week, when things pick up, and then I'll be able to turn my electric back on!" is something I hear heart-breakingly often.

And as I said, it is impossible to prove why they fired you, why you didn't make the requisite amount in tips, or even how much you did make in tips. They'll just claim you made that money and pocketed it without reporting it. Also, they don't ever fire you, they just cut your hours to zero. If they fire you, they'd have to pay your unemployment. But if they just give you zero hours for the rest of eternity, you can't collect a dime!

Hope you've got a few tens of thousands of dollars to take them to court with, person who is no longer even making $1 an hour!!

Welcome to the US Justice system.

Huh. Okay, so it's both better and worse than I expected. Well, that makes sense. Thanks for the information!

30.5 Days
Nov 19, 2006
Hey guys I'm really sorry to be asking this again so soon, but somewhere about 30 pages back someone posted some links about the demographics of welfare recipients, that shows that most have jobs? And I can't find it for the life of me, if someone could help that'd be great.

Tuff
Jul 15, 2012

by T. Mascis
Oh jesus. My uncle just sent me an email encouraging me to vote for Romney, instead of the obvious choice (Obama), and I just stared at the monitor making a rage face. Apparently my dear old uncle didn't hear about how he pantsed a gay kid and screamed into his buttcheeks for an hour while he was at Princeton. Bullies like him don't deserve to live, much less preside over our country.

XyloJW
Jul 23, 2007

Tuff posted:

Apparently my dear old uncle didn't hear about how he pantsed a gay kid and screamed into his buttcheeks for an hour while he was at Princeton.

I heard he held a guy down and cut his hair, and made fun of him for being effeminate. Do you have a source for that?

Tuff
Jul 15, 2012

by T. Mascis

XyloJW posted:

I heard he held a guy down and cut his hair, and made fun of him for being effeminate. Do you have a source for that?

Oh, that was what I was thinking of.

Dr. Arbitrary
Mar 15, 2006

Bleak Gremlin

Tuff posted:

Oh, that was what I was thinking of.

Well, now that we have that part figured out, who were you thinking of that screamed into a guys rear end for an hour?

Mo_Steel
Mar 7, 2008

Let's Clock Into The Sunset Together

Fun Shoe

30.5 Days posted:

Hey guys I'm really sorry to be asking this again so soon, but somewhere about 30 pages back someone posted some links about the demographics of welfare recipients, that shows that most have jobs? And I can't find it for the life of me, if someone could help that'd be great.

EDIT: :siren: Since you specified demographics related to work, I did a bit more digging on their website and came up with this page which lets you drill down by state and congressional district reports on percentage based work status of households on SNAP and not on SNAP.

And this report with a ton of useful information on the households as of 2010:

quote:

Thirty percent of SNAP households had earned income, 21 percent received Supplemental Security Income (SSI), 21 percent received Social Security income, and 8 percent received support from Temporary Assistance to Needy Families (TANF). The percentage of households with zero gross income continued to increase in fiscal year 2010, rising to nearly 20 percent from 8 percent in fiscal year 2000.

While this means that the majority of households on SNAP aren't receiving earned income through employment, it's important to note that the whole point of SNAP is assisting people in need: households who are unable to find adequate employment for example. The vast majority of households on SNAP are below poverty and the vast majority also are families with elder or disabled persons or children.

----------------------------

Might've been my stuff, the topic has come up a couple times here:

quote:

What's important when deciding whether or not things are a problem worth looking into has a lot to do with pervasiveness. I was talking with a coworker the other day about EBT and I asked him how much money he thought most EBT recipients got in a month to spend. He admitted he wasn't sure, but figured it was "like $800". So I decided to look into it (and a few other associated bits of information):

• Average EBT payout? $101 per person, and $227 per household.
  • Maximum Payout for a Family of Four? $668 per month [payout varies depending on earnings etc.]
  • Benefits DO carry over into the next month [many complain about EBT spending because they think "if they don't spend it it goes away so they just waste my tax money"].
  • Average Gross Income of Families on EBT? $673 / month
  • :siren:70% of participants in EBT are expected to buy some of their food with their own money.
  • 49% of people who benefit from EBT are children under age 18.
  • Requirements for EBT: Less than $2,000 in countable resources, income below $2,389 per month for a family of four, and most able adults must meet work requirements.

Hoooo boy, living the good life. So good that if you and your significant other make more than $7.47 an hour and both work 40 hour work weeks you'll be making too much money to qualify. Or $9.95 an hour with part time 30 hour work weeks. Oh and you can't save up more than $2,000 in the bank. Save up to buy a used car? Good luck. Health insurance? You probably can't make enough money in the month to pay for your rent and health insurance premiums.

The :siren: info is important because it means trying to restrict what people can buy on foodstamps is a stupid waste of money for the most part. If 2 in 3 recipients are going to spend their own money on food already and you suddenly say that people can't use EBT on soda or candy they'll just use their cash portion of their earnings instead on that. Meanwhile enforcing such a ban and restrictions costs money to implement, track and prosecute. Not to mention that there is no strong research to indicate that recipients of EBT benefits choose worse than the average consumer (actually less likely to buy sweets [61.6% vs. 72.1% avg] and salty snacks [29.6% vs. 36.5% avg] than the average consumer). But hey, don't want someone living at poverty level to have a loving snickers bar.

quote:

Depends on what sort of Welfare you are talking about; most people when they think of welfare think food stamps (SNAP). A few facts about SNAP:

Requirements to Qualify: Own less than $2,000 in countable resources (home is not countable, primary vehicle value varies by state), have a gross monthly income below $2,422 for a family of four, and most able bodied adults must have employment or actively seek and accept employment opportunities.

Benefit: The maximum benefit for a family of four is $668, but the actual received benefit is reduced by 30% of the families net income. Example: If your family of four makes $1,500 in net income, you receive only $218 in monthly benefits ($668 - 450 = 218).

Benefits do carry over into the following month if not spent, however 47% of recipients exhaust all their benefits by the end of each month.

Who Benefits How Much: 49% of participants are children. The average household size is 2.3 persons. The average gross income of recipients is $673 per month. The average amount of monthly benefits is $101 per person or $227 per household. 28.4 million people are covered at a cost of $34.6 billion.

Additional Information: 70% of benefits receivers are expected to buy some of their food with their own money (this is why restricting food stamp usage on sugary drinks is stupid as hell because they will just spend their cash on it and now you have more rules to enforce through administrative overhead). There is no strong research to suggest that recipients choose worse foods than other consumers; in fact they are less likely to buy sweets (61.6% vs. 72.1% publicly) or salty snacks (29.6% vs. 36.5% publicly).

From 2004 to 2006, half of all new SNAP recipients got benefits for 10 months or less, and 58% left the program within one year. Of those that left, 42% returned within a year.

----------------------

General sources from memory:

https://www.fns.usda.gov/snap/applicant_recipients/eligibility.htm
http://www.fns.usda.gov/pd/snapmain.htm
http://www.fns.usda.gov/ora/MENU/Published/snap/snap.htm

Might be some overlap in those two posts but I think that covers the gist of the food stamp program. I'm also fairly sure that most other first world countries don't have food stamp programs: they just straight up give money to those people living in poverty via negative income taxes.

Mo_Steel fucked around with this message at 06:12 on Jul 16, 2012

30.5 Days
Nov 19, 2006
That's all huge so I'm gonna store it away, but this particular argument is about Florida's drug testing, so any info someone has about programs like TANF as opposed to EBT would be helpful.

Amused to Death
Aug 10, 2009

google "The Night Witches", and prepare for :stare:

30.5 Days posted:

That's all huge so I'm gonna store it away, but this particular argument is about Florida's drug testing, so any info someone has about programs like TANF as opposed to EBT would be helpful.

Since TANF is the actual cash welfare that everyone thinks welfare queens are sitting around collecting, some basic facts:
-There's a lifetime limit of 4-5 years on it, because people stop being poor after 4 years or something
-You can only receive it if you have a child
-The numbers vary by state, but TANF payouts still leave a family below the poverty line
http://www.cbpp.org/cms/?fa=view&id=3625
-There's work requirements
http://www.cbpp.org/cms/index.cfm?fa=view&id=936

nm
Jan 28, 2008

"I saw Minos the Space Judge holding a golden sceptre and passing sentence upon the Martians. There he presided, and around him the noble Space Prosecutors sought the firm justice of space law."

Amused to Death posted:

Since TANF is the actual cash welfare that everyone thinks welfare queens are sitting around collecting, some basic facts:
-There's a lifetime limit of 4-5 years on it, because people stop being poor after 4 years or something
-You can only receive it if you have a child
-The numbers vary by state, but TANF payouts still leave a family below the poverty line
http://www.cbpp.org/cms/?fa=view&id=3625
-There's work requirements
http://www.cbpp.org/cms/index.cfm?fa=view&id=936
Most people people think are on "welfare" are on SSI or SSDI.
To qualify for either you need to be extremely disabled, but many people don't realize that most disabilities don't make you a vegetable.
SSI payouts are comically small. $698.00/mo is what you get.
Get more? That person is on SSDI, which means they must have worked for a certain number of years. Paid into the program. It is like insurance.

Many others are on worker's comp or some sort of private disability insurance. One means you got hurt working. The other is jut capitalism at work.

skaboomizzy
Nov 12, 2003

There is nothing I want to be. There is nothing I want to do.
I don't even have an image of what I want to be. I have nothing. All that exists is zero.

nm posted:

Most people people think are on "welfare" are on SSI or SSDI.
To qualify for either you need to be extremely disabled, but many people don't realize that most disabilities don't make you a vegetable.
SSI payouts are comically small. $698.00/mo is what you get.
Get more? That person is on SSDI, which means they must have worked for a certain number of years. Paid into the program. It is like insurance.

Many others are on worker's comp or some sort of private disability insurance. One means you got hurt working. The other is jut capitalism at work.

I used to get a thing in the mail every year telling me what I would make on SSI or SSDI. They stopped that a few years ago probably because people were thinking that it was their only option left and seeing the numbers made it more tempting. In my part of Florida, it's 18-24 months from the time you file to the the determination of your claim. Probably even a little longer now, that figure is a couple of years old.

nm
Jan 28, 2008

"I saw Minos the Space Judge holding a golden sceptre and passing sentence upon the Martians. There he presided, and around him the noble Space Prosecutors sought the firm justice of space law."

skaboomizzy posted:

I used to get a thing in the mail every year telling me what I would make on SSI or SSDI. They stopped that a few years ago probably because people were thinking that it was their only option left and seeing the numbers made it more tempting. In my part of Florida, it's 18-24 months from the time you file to the the determination of your claim. Probably even a little longer now, that figure is a couple of years old.
Yeah, I have clients who are completely unable to work. One is expected to die in a few months from terminal cancer (plus Hep C!). Others have been in and out of state hospitals (read: mental hospitals) for most of their adult lives.
The government thought it would be a great idea to cancel any SSI/SSDI claims for anyone incarcerated for more than X months (I want to say 3). You have to start a new claim.
We then all act shocked, shocked I tell you, when after 4 months of living on the streets they steal something and go back to prison/jail.
Oh and they have to start the process over again!

Bruce Leroy
Jun 10, 2010

Blarghalt posted:

Some creationist PMed me on youtube. Here's our exchange thus far:

And then I get kind of annoyed:

Ha, it's like a college freshman who just took his first philosophy class and hasn't made it to Descartes or Hume yet, but still thinks he's figured out some masterstroke against atheists/materialists/etc. that no one has ever thought of before.

"Hurr, what's this 'problem of induction' you speak of? Who is Karl Popper? What is the Dunning-Kruger effect?"

Alien Arcana
Feb 14, 2012

You're related to soup, Admiral.

Tomahawk posted:

HOW DO SOURCES WORK

Were they actually given like that? No links at all (except for Breitbart), just
"oh I heard it on ABC"?

Sarion
Dec 24, 2003

A lot of them aren't even sourced, they're just given a snide remark:

quote:

These are obligations that the United States has taken on in the past. Congress has run up the credit card, and we now have an obligation to pay our bills.
Looks like it’s been incurred mostly in the years of Obama

Which doesn't even make sense. Most of the obligations that would not have gotten paid if the debt ceiling wasn't raised were things like:

- Social Security
- Medicare/Medicaid payments
- Soldier/Veteran pay/benefits
- Interest on past debts

All of which are obligations that existed long before Obama showed up.

Ghost of Reagan Past
Oct 7, 2003

rock and roll fun
Also, sovereign debt is different from household debt! Thinking of it like a credit card is just a mistake.

jojoinnit
Dec 13, 2010

Strength and speed, that's why you're a special agent.

Ghost of Reagan Past posted:

Also, sovereign debt is different from household debt! Thinking of it like a credit card is just a mistake.

Thanks to this thread I've been able to explain this to some people during discussions and they were receptive and interested. :)

Although trying to explain why the gold standard isn't a great idea, along with the rest of Ron Pauls stuff didn't go over so well.

Alien Arcana
Feb 14, 2012

You're related to soup, Admiral.

jojoinnit posted:

Thanks to this thread I've been able to explain this to some people during discussions and they were receptive and interested. :)

Although trying to explain why the gold standard isn't a great idea, along with the rest of Ron Pauls stuff didn't go over so well.

About 160,000 metric tons of gold have been mined in human history. The current price of gold is, if I'm reading this correctly, about $1,500 per ounce (about 28 g). Solve for x, and we get... slightly over $8.5 trillion.

Our GDP is almost twice that. Even if the US somehow rounded up all the gold in the world we wouldn't have nearly enough to cover our own GDP. I'm not an economist but that doesn't sound like that would work very well.

Maybe that will help get people get the picture?

(Of course, that's nothing compared to the problems faced by the folks who want to go back to gold itself, rather than just gold-backed currency. Making $40k now? Congrats, your new salary is two pounds of gold. Good luck carving off 1-gram pieces of it to pay for your groceries!)

Arcteryx Anarchist
Sep 15, 2007

Fun Shoe
But how can paper have value? Only shiny metal can!

[insert strange maths about how if your money was gold you would be way richer]

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?

lancemantis posted:

But how can paper have value? Only shiny metal can!

[insert strange maths about how if your money was gold you would be way richer]

Wrong only bitcoins can have valule, but not as much value as Cosbycoins

Guilty Spork
Feb 26, 2011

Thunder rolled. It rolled a six.

When someone linked to the inevitable Snopes debunking, he replied that other "reputable websites" (which from a quick Google search seems to actually mean "conservative blogs and nothing else at all) say differently.

"I may utter FACT that you think are hate speech, especially if you're a loser."

Obamacare: Scary Things I Made Up. You're welcome.

Parachute
May 18, 2003

Guilty Spork posted:

Obamacare: Scary Things I Made Up. You're welcome.

I love the "16,500 more IRS agents" point thrown in at the end.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?

Parachute posted:

I love the "16,500 more IRS agents" point thrown in at the end.

So more American jobs?

Taerkar
Dec 7, 2002

kind of into it, really

Government jobs aren't really jobs, silly.

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Obscure to all except those well-versed in Yuuzhan Vong lore.
I love how the person who made that image automatically associates an increase of employees in the IRS with higher taxes. Do they think that the tax man is going to come to their door twice a year now that they have the manpower?

myron cope
Apr 21, 2009

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

I love how the person who made that image automatically associates an increase of employees in the IRS with higher taxes. Do they think that the tax man is going to come to their door twice a year now that they have the manpower?

Obviously it means your taxes are going up. When taxes go up, you need more people at the IRS. It's so clear. Dumb liberal!!!

Sarion
Dec 24, 2003

The 16,500 IRS agents thing is just unbelievably stupid. It comes a Republican group that estimated the number of new agents that the law would result in. How did they do it? The took a CBO estimate of the cost of implementing and carrying out all the changes to the Internal Revenue Code in PPACA. However, the CBO estimate was actually a wide range of possible cost; the group just took the worst case estimate and ignored the lower estimate. Then they took that total high cost and divided by the pay that IRS agents typically receive, and bam! 16,500 agents.

Never mind that the same methodology applied to the "best case" estimate would have meant half as many agents. Or the fact that they just divided the estimate by agent pay; as if 100% of the costs were going to be applied to hiring people. Rather than, things like training current employees on the changes, or implementing new software, or the benefits paid to those "16,500 new agents". Its a completely stupid number.

And yet, its effective. I've had people on Facebook swear to me that the law actually includes a part that flat out says, "The IRS must hire 16,500 new agents". It doesn't, of course, but they believe with every part of their being that it does.

Of course everything else in that image is equally stupid. The only one that's really debatable is the "Increased Costs"; though even there the CBO disagrees that there will be significant difference in cost over what the costs would have been without PPACA. The only exception being in the individual market, where the CBO expects most people to end up choosing to buy more expensive plans; but as a result of people having access to plans with better coverage, which is a good thing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sarion
Dec 24, 2003

myron cope posted:

Obviously it means your taxes are going up. When taxes go up, you need more people at the IRS. It's so clear. Dumb liberal!!!

Its a well known fact that IRS agents can only collect a fixed amount of money each. Because those numbers in the spreadsheets and databases get really heavy.