Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?

Safari Disco Lion posted:

I beat the Portal 2 single player today. Man that was satisfying. The story is great and there's some really awesome set pieces, especially in the lower part of the facility. And the way you finish the final boss off was great. Now I just need to convince one of my friends to do the coop with me.
Gonna pitch in that you should make sure it's someone who's never done it before, even if it has to be with a Goon you've never met before. When one person's done it, and the other hasn't, the former gets bored, and the latter feels rushed/dumb.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WarLocke
Jun 6, 2004

You are being watched. :allears:

Colon V posted:

Gonna pitch in that you should make sure it's someone who's never done it before, even if it has to be with a Goon you've never met before. When one person's done it, and the other hasn't, the former gets bored, and the latter feels rushed/dumb.

How long is the coop? Is it a run through in an afternoon thing or would you need to expect to do it over the course of a couple days?

Safari Disco Lion
Jul 21, 2011

Boss, if they make us find seven lost crystals, I'm quitting.

Yeah, neither me nor the friend I'm doing it with have done or seen it before. Well, I did watch the Yogscast videos they did of the coop, but it was when the game came out and I don't remember any of it.

WarLocke: We spent about two hours on it and got through the first three chapters. I think we're about a third of the way through?

Pierzak
Oct 30, 2010

WarLocke posted:

How long is the coop? Is it a run through in an afternoon thing or would you need to expect to do it over the course of a couple days?
More like 2-3 evenings if you're playing for the first time.
That said, I'd love a Portal Professor achievement ;) (steamid is Pierzasty)

Malek
Jun 22, 2003

Shut up Girl!
And as always: Kill Hitler.

WarLocke posted:

For me and my ex, took us about 5 to 6 hours. Not perfection runs either.

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

:hmmorks: :orks:

Your ex? I can only wonder if those situations are related. :v:

This sale is hurting the backlog badly. I swear I'll finish Alice one day. And Fallout 1. And Full Throttle. And Magic 2013. And Super Mario 3D Land. And--

So I should be able to get into the new games, hm, somewhere in the next ten years.

Good-Natured Filth
Jun 8, 2008

Do you think I've got the goods Bubblegum? Cuz I am INTO this stuff!

I made some good progress yesterday on Ocarina of Time 3D. I quit at the Water Temple as a kid, so I'm happy to have made it past that stage and further. For some reason, the boss at the Shadow Temple was very difficult - took me 4 tries to get past it, using 2 fairies to revive myself. I had to have been doing something wrong, or is it really that tough?

I've also been playing more Borderlands than I expected. I'm usually not a fan of FPS games like this, but for some reason, I love this one. It's probably the co-op with people that I know that helps out.

ToxicFrog
Apr 26, 2008

Good-Natured Filth posted:

I made some good progress yesterday on Ocarina of Time 3D. I quit at the Water Temple as a kid, so I'm happy to have made it past that stage and further. For some reason, the boss at the Shadow Temple was very difficult - took me 4 tries to get past it, using 2 fairies to revive myself. I had to have been doing something wrong, or is it really that tough?

I don't know if this is commonly considered to be the case, but I found Shadow Temple in general to be the hardest temple in the game, and Bongo Bongo the hardest boss.

That said, it didn't take me four tries, and it shouldn't be that much harder than the other bosses - use hoverboots to dampen the bouncing, shoot both hands, lens of truth, shoot the eye, stab, repeat.

Dodoman
Feb 26, 2009

A moment of laxity
A lifetime of regret
Lipstick Apathy

Saoshyant posted:

Your ex? I can only wonder if those situations are related. :v:

This sale is hurting the backlog badly. I swear I'll finish Alice one day. And Fallout 1. And Full Throttle. And Magic 2013. And Super Mario 3D Land. And--

So I should be able to get into the new games, hm, somewhere in the next ten years.

:smith::respek::smith:

Good-Natured Filth
Jun 8, 2008

Do you think I've got the goods Bubblegum? Cuz I am INTO this stuff!

ToxicFrog posted:

I don't know if this is commonly considered to be the case, but I found Shadow Temple in general to be the hardest temple in the game, and Bongo Bongo the hardest boss.

That said, it didn't take me four tries, and it shouldn't be that much harder than the other bosses - use hoverboots to dampen the bouncing, shoot both hands, lens of truth, shoot the eye, stab, repeat.

Hover boots dampen the bouncing?!?! :doh: I didn't even think to try that. I thought the hover boots were a dumb gimmick to jump pits and stopped using them as quickly as possible. Figures that I would forget the tried and true method of using the dungeon item on the boss. :eng99:

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?

Hover boots dampen the bouncing?!?! :doh: I didn't even think to try that. I thought the hover boots were a dumb gimmick to jump pits and stopped using them as quickly as possible. Figures that I would forget the tried and true method of using the dungeon item on the boss. :eng99:
It's still a hard boss, even with them, so don't feel too bad. Also, as your health gets higher, red potions become more and more useful compared to fairies, since the former heal you to full, but the latter always heal you a max of 8.

ToxicFrog
Apr 26, 2008

The hover boots also give you more range than jumping, so they're critical for some gaps (primarily in the shadow temple and final dungeon) which aren't quite small enough to jump.

They also have all kinds of entertainingly exploitable physics characteristics when combined with explosives, but unless you're speedrunning that's probably not interesting to you.

UtahIsNotAState
Jun 27, 2006

Dick will make you slap somebody!
Friend got me Alan Wake and i'm determined to beat it, but god drat is there some bullshit with it.

3 enemies? I'm cool with that. 6 enemies? gently caress that. I understand you gave me a flare gun, flashbang, some shotgun ammo, and pistol ammo, but this is all worthless if the dodging function is bullshit. I'm already moving around all the time when I have dudes attacking me, and then having to press shift+directional button combo while doing this and evading enemies is starting to get on my nerves. Also, the fact that I get 3-4 shotted is annoying as hell.

I'm using all the weapons you give me, but god drat dodging is dumb as hell.

/rant

Bobby The Rookie
Jun 2, 2005

I finished the story campaign for Mirror's Edge in about five hours- I played up to a certain point in the game years ago, then forgot about it and wanted to finally finish it. Getting these out of the way first: really beautiful minimalistic visuals and pleasant soundtrack. Now, two cents effortpost incoming...

All of the problems I had with the game initially were amplified in successive levels, which made it increasingly frustrating to play as the game went on. The combat sections, which might as well be forced because there are scant few instances where you are allowed to run past your enemies without getting shot to hell, are agonizingly unfun and occupy a large chunk of the gameplay. It's so clunky, and there is essentially no benefit to going hand-to-hand in any instance, which means you're running right up to an enemy's face and hoping to pass the disarm QTE.

I was willing to overlook the weak story and characters if the game just let me RUN and JUMP on poo poo, but every other level section means it's time to get dropped in a room full of dudes and stumble my way through, dying all the way. Mirror's Edge actually could have had a good stealth mechanic, something along the lines of Deus Ex: HR if they really wanted to have some type of interaction with enemy types- it would have made sense with Faith, to be sneaking around and taking out people one by one, not this half-baked FPS, cop killer bullshit.

I'm not sure if a sequel were made that I'd want it to necessarily be more puzzley, however- maybe more paths you can take to accomplish something, but still keeping with the fast-paced action focus. Some of the puzzles had annoyingly specific solutions (and wonky hit detection), and I hated breaking the flow of the game by falling to my death over and over- but there's not much you can do to fix that, considering the premise, I suppose. Some of the action in the game is so satisfying, but also shortlived.

TL;DR: This is one of the few games where such little time investment has affected me so negatively (the inverse would probably be Portal)- ME could have been brilliant. Anyway, marking it off the backlog for good.

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

:hmmorks: :orks:

Yeah, about that, you aren't supposed to shoot your gun. Ever. It's all about running fast and jump on everything. If you try to play Mirror's Edge like a FPS you are not only doing it wrong but you'll have a terrible experience.

ToxicFrog
Apr 26, 2008

Saoshyant posted:

Yeah, about that, you aren't supposed to shoot your gun. Ever. It's all about running fast and jump on everything. If you try to play Mirror's Edge like a FPS you are not only doing it wrong but you'll have a terrible experience.

There are actually a few combat sections that are impossible, or nearly so, to bypass - the start of the loving ship comes to mind, as does the mainframe room.

That said, the vast majority of combat is not at all "forced" and even if you just slavishly follow the runner-vision highlights is pretty easy to bypass.

UtahIsNotAState
Jun 27, 2006

Dick will make you slap somebody!

Saoshyant posted:

I'm glad someone else posted this. I thought I was going crazy because I barely even remember using a gun. The only time I really remember "needing" a gun was at the very very last level, and only because I found it easier to just steal a machine gun and camp out the enemies from some top ledge thing. It was the scene where you had to kill the servers or whatever right before you face off with dude in helicopter. But even then, I think that was more of an exploit than anything.

Bobby The Rookie
Jun 2, 2005

Saoshyant posted:

I didn't want to play it like a FPS, I wanted to run fast and jump on everything, but I constantly felt like I was getting cornered into lousy combat situations, and the easiest way to get through those was to shoot mans.

ToxicFrog posted:

There are actually a few combat sections that are impossible, or nearly so, to bypass - the start of the loving ship comes to mind, as does the mainframe room.

That said, the vast majority of combat is not at all "forced" and even if you just slavishly follow the runner-vision highlights is pretty easy to bypass.
Yeah, try doing the last level with all of the snipers shooting at you without using a gun.

I can remember numerous instances where I was getting outnumbered by dudes and it just seemed simpler to take them out instead of searching for some non-immediately obvious escape route while getting shot. They're not "forced" in the strictest sense, but it seems obvious that you're meant to fight in those sequences, and if you're supposed to fight then it may as well be enjoyable, which it was not to me.

I was playing on "Normal," however, so maybe "Easy" would have been the better choice.

SolidSnakesBandana
Jul 1, 2007

Infinite ammo
Chiming in to say I didn't think the gun sections in Mirror's Edge are as hard as you claim. I thought the only semi-difficult section was the Mainframe Room and it was essentially the last level so it got a pass. Once I found out there was an achievement for not using guns I went for it on my one and only playthrough. If the hard difficulty was available from the beginning, I'm pretty sure I was on it as well.

I seem to recall using the ability to leap on to dudes via bouncing on stuff a lot. Maybe that was your problem?

SolidSnakesBandana fucked around with this message at 03:51 on Jul 17, 2012

Zedicus Mann
May 5, 2012

Wellp. My Backloggery is stuck being Poisoned until the Summer Sale ends.

Bobby The Rookie
Jun 2, 2005

SolidSnakesBandana posted:

I seem to recall using the ability to leap on to dudes via bouncing on stuff a lot. Maybe that was your problem?
Maybe, I don't recall learning that move, let alone ever getting to use it.

Just finished up And Yet It Moves, which was actually not as bad as I've seen it made out to be on these forums. Decently fun little couple hour distraction with some interesting visuals and tunes of varying quality. It never really wore out its welcome since it's so short, but it wasn't all that challenging either.

Eh! Frank
Mar 28, 2006

Doctor gave me these, I said what are these?
He said that they'll cure an existential type disease
The damage so far...
BOUGHT:

Hitman Collection - The three games were in my wishlist after I read some goons talking them up, so I picked them up when they were a Daily Deal. I think I read somewhere that it's recommended to skip the first game and start with Silent Assassin. Is that the common opinion?

Dead Rising 2: Off The Record - Was on my wishlist, got it when it was a flash deal or whatever. What's the difference between this and regular Dead Rising?

Civilization Collection - Wasn't on my wishlist, it was pretty much an impulse buy. I'd been wanting to check out one of the games, but wasn't sure of the difference so picked up the whole pack for $25. Might install Civilization III soon and try it out so I don't regret getting this. Not going to add to backloggery yet (is there a definite end to the games?)

Football Manager 2012 - I know next to nothing about soccer/football, but this was in my wishlist for some reason :wtc: I think it was another instance of hearing goons talking about it. So I got it for $8, which doesn't seem too bad I guess. Not adding it to backloggery though.

Other than that, I've only gotten expansions/DLC for games I already had, including the one for Two Worlds II, which I was playing through anyways.

I also got Torchlight from GOG; downloaded, installed, and started playing it pretty much immediately. Fun game, a good way to keep me from giving into temptation and getting Diablo III before the price drops.

I have managed to keep myself from buying a few games though, like Rage and Mirror's Edge, both of which were in my wishlist but removed after I read up more on them and discovered they didn't interest me as much as I thought they did. And getting the Civilization pack seems to have satisfied my impulse-buy craving for now. So not doing great, but could be doing worse.

LostEnder
Jul 3, 2012

Getting in on this so I actually finish the backlog. I'll have to consider completion conditions for a few open-ended games like X3 and Sword of the Stars, but that can wait for now.

Zedicus Mann
May 5, 2012

Eh! Frank posted:

I have managed to keep myself from buying a few games though, like Rage and Mirror's Edge, both of which were in my wishlist but removed after I read up more on them and discovered they didn't interest me as much as I thought they did. And getting the Civilization pack seems to have satisfied my impulse-buy craving for now. So not doing great, but could be doing worse.
Not to try to cause more damage, but Mirror's Edge is amazing.

americanzero4128
Jul 20, 2009
Grimey Drawer
I broke guys, I caved and bought some games.

I bought Diablo 3 which I have marked as beaten but not completed. I'm in hell difficulty right now with a 52 monk and play it off and on. It's fun, but I'm trying to balance my minimal gaming time between games that I can actually beat and ones to pour endless hours into without beating it.

I was gifted Portal 2, Trine 2, and Dungeon Defenders by my brother. I'm going to start co-op Portal 2 tonight with him. I haven't played any of 2 yet so both of us are going into this fresh. I've heard it's really fun, so I am looking forward to it.

I also bought Rage and Divine Divinity. My backlog is poisoned as well. I'm not buying any more games during the sale, and I am going to hold off on buying any more games for myself until I've beaten at least 5 more games. If I get gifted a game that's fine, but no more money out of my pocket for games for a while. I plan on gifting a few games out, but since I'm not playing them, someone else can suffer under the weight of their backlog.

Edit - for actual game progress, I'm still working on Dark Messiah of Might & Magic. I'm on Chapter 3. I realize that I'm probably the slowest video game player of all time, and I'm ok with that. Howlongtobeat.com puts this at 10 hours and I've put in 2 so far. Hopefully that time is accurate, and if I have free time this weekend, can get a decent chunk of the game knocked out.

americanzero4128 fucked around with this message at 17:46 on Jul 17, 2012

ToxicFrog
Apr 26, 2008

americanzero4128 posted:

I was gifted Portal 2, Trine 2, and Dungeon Defenders by my brother. I'm going to start co-op Portal 2 tonight with him. I haven't played any of 2 yet so both of us are going into this fresh. I've heard it's really fun, so I am looking forward to it.

It is worth noting that the co-op mode is set after the singleplayer and assumes you're already familiar with the core mechanics from playing through SP; you might want to both quickly run through singleplayer before you dive into co-op.

Pierzak
Oct 30, 2010

Eh! Frank posted:

Civilization Collection - Wasn't on my wishlist, it was pretty much an impulse buy. I'd been wanting to check out one of the games, but wasn't sure of the difference so picked up the whole pack for $25. Might install Civilization III soon and try it out so I don't regret getting this. Not going to add to backloggery yet (is there a definite end to the games?)
Install Civ4+expansions, run Beyond the Sword and don't look back. And yes, there's a definite end but you'll want to play it forever.

BeanBandit
Mar 15, 2001

Beanbandit?
Son of a bitch!
Yeah, it's not Steam, whatever...

gently caress Banjo Kazooie! :mad: Old 3D platformers are all terrible.

Doc Monopoly
Feb 18, 2011

Eh! Frank posted:

The damage so far...
BOUGHT:

Hitman Collection - The three games were in my wishlist after I read some goons talking them up, so I picked them up when they were a Daily Deal. I think I read somewhere that it's recommended to skip the first game and start with Silent Assassin. Is that the common opinion?

Dead Rising 2: Off The Record - Was on my wishlist, got it when it was a flash deal or whatever. What's the difference between this and regular Dead Rising?

For Hitman, whatever you do, play blood money last. You'll never want to play the others again.

The difference between DR2 and DR:OTR is just that it's with Frank West from the first game instead of the new protagonist. There's some changed dialog and a new final boss. It's basically still the same game.

Zedicus Mann
May 5, 2012

The good news is; I may stop buying new games since my drive is so full.
The bad news is; I may just buy a bigger drive and continue growing my backlog.

WarLocke
Jun 6, 2004

You are being watched. :allears:

Zedicus Mann posted:

I'll pick out 4 or 5 games and only keep those installed. Try to finish those instead of having 35 games installed and never making solid progress. :negative:

csm141
Jul 19, 2010

i care, i'm listening, i can help you without giving any advice
Pillbug

Zedicus Mann posted:

Have you tried the Steam Cleaner? Might free up some space.

Anyway I'm putting Driver: San Francisco down as completed. I got all 140 cars, all the garages, finished all the challenges and beat the game proper. Making progress on L.A. Noire (almost done with the Homicide desk) and also have finished the first 20 levels of Bad Rats (which is a truly horrible game).

Zedicus Mann
May 5, 2012

Chief Savage Man posted:

Yes, I did. I think I should run it again after this sale though.

RightClickSaveAs
Mar 1, 2001

Tiny animals under glass... Smaller than sand...

Bobby The Rookie posted:

I didn't want to play it like a FPS, I wanted to run fast and jump on everything, but I constantly felt like I was getting cornered into lousy combat situations, and the easiest way to get through those was to shoot mans.
This was my experience with Mirror's Edge as well. This and having to stop periodically and figure out how to get to the next area really interrupted the flow. But I guess if they hadn't done that, the game would have only been like 1-2 hours long.

americanzero4128 posted:

I bought Diablo 3 which I have marked as beaten but not completed. I'm in hell difficulty right now with a 52 monk and play it off and on. It's fun, but I'm trying to balance my minimal gaming time between games that I can actually beat and ones to pour endless hours into without beating it.
That's the way to play Diablo 3 really, it gets kind of dull if you power through it for hours at a time. I've been playing it exclusively for a couple weeks, then I got obsessed with the Auction House, which is it's own game.

Chief Savage Man posted:

Making progress on L.A. Noire (almost done with the Homicide desk)
I wanted to like LA Noire, and I had fun with it at first, but I thought the game got really repetitive, especially at the desk you're at. It seemed like it peaked with that story, and I haven't been able to get into it after that.

ACPaco
Jan 3, 2009

:420: party everyday :420:

Chief Savage Man posted:

That just saved me 2.2 GBs. Thanks!

I had started Borderlands and Saint's Row 2 before the sale hit. Borderlands is cool. I really want to like SR2 but the horrible vehicle control is killing it for me. The Third is so much smoother. Anyway that's on hold for now because I've now started Skyrim. Over 20 hours trudging the tundra so far and only at level 15. I don't even think I've done a third of the main story, either. I love it. I started Max Payne 3, too. For three hours I am bullet-time diving everywhere and at all times. The Jersey Shore chapter was epic.

ManxomeBromide
Jan 29, 2009

old school

BeanBandit posted:

gently caress Banjo Kazooie! :mad: Old 3D platformers are all terrible.

It turns out Rayman 2 was kind of OK except for a few bits. Other than that, :mad: :respek: :mad:.

I have beaten Assassin's Creed: Revelations, which wasn't really the plan, but hey, all my games on Steam that start with A are now off the backlog!

As a game, ehn, it's more AC. The gameplay and metaplot batshittery, however, were much more Assassin's Creed II than Assassin's Creed Brotherhood, for both good (those last two sequences) and bad (total bullshit hypersensitive stealth sections).

I've been messing with Botanicula, which I got in the Steam sale and which looks like a cute palate cleanser, and also I have been assured that it doesn't have the problems I had with Machinarium.

If I clear Botanicula, and then Call of Duty 4, that will also wipe the Bs and Cs off my Steam backlog.

As for the sale...

Most of my wishlist stuff has come up as flash sales. Most of it I found I didn't really want after all. At this point I'm actually doing the reverse of good practice: by the time this sale is over, one way or another, my wishlist will be empty. However, I'll also keep an eye out for new things to fill out my backlog.

It's getting gaps in it! This is kind of unnerving. I might be in the mood for some genres and not have a new game to play there :gonk:

There's been a fair amount of damage already, but there's no sense in counting my wounds until the sale is over, especially since I think I'm going to need to do some subclassification. That's more crucial for my GOG backlog than my Steam one, but it's some work that needs doing.

americanzero4128
Jul 20, 2009
Grimey Drawer

ToxicFrog posted:

It is worth noting that the co-op mode is set after the singleplayer and assumes you're already familiar with the core mechanics from playing through SP; you might want to both quickly run through singleplayer before you dive into co-op.

Realize I'm a bit late for this, but thanks for the heads up! I started the single player last night and got to Chapter 2 in about 45 minutes. It's a really enjoyable single player experience and I feel pretty smart when I figure out the puzzles after looking at them for a minute or two. So, single player wise I'm balancing Portal 2 and Dark Messiah of Might and Magic. This Saturday all I have lined up is laundry and video games. Hopefully I'll have Portal 2 single player done by Sunday night.

MrDoDo
Jun 27, 2004

You better remember quick before we haul your sweet ass down to the precinct.
Finally making some traction on my backlog by beating Deus Ex: Human Revolution. I will most likely replay through it at some point get some of the more significant achievements, and really try for all stealth next time. I am trying to keep a two game policy with one continuous (MMO or multiplayer) and one beatable.

Amplicon
Apr 27, 2011

Captain Obvious
So.. Hi!
My name is Amplicon, aka Bioslock, and I have a steam sale problem.
Everytime a summer or winter sale comes along I buy more games than my limited free time allows me to finish.
This will be an effort to correct said problem.
It has been a long time since I played a game through to the credits. Actually no, that was Diablo III on normal and nightmare, but hey.

My current projects are to beat Batman Arkham Asylum and Hitman Bloodmoney.
Cant wait to do that, for it will open up a slot for L.A. Noire.

Amplicon fucked around with this message at 17:53 on Jul 20, 2012

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ACPaco
Jan 3, 2009

:420: party everyday :420:
Beat Max Payne 3, I really enjoyed it. Didn't snag all the collectibles or clues, not really sure if I feel like running through it again immediately at a higher difficulty. The story is pretty well written, though, and Max is such a great trainwreck of a man.

Also beat the main storyline of Skyrim. I was nearly 35 hours in at level 20. I thought Alduin was going to be a lot harder to beat at this stage but I figured I'd give it a shot, next thing I know he's dead as fast as any other dragon I've run into. At this point I haven't even touched any of the civil war quests and I have about a dozen side quests still incomplete, and I'm sure there's a ton more I haven't even found. I played through as a good-natured tank with a strong focus on one-handed maces and swords, heavy armor and blocking. I really want to try again already as a sneaky thief with bad moral judgement.