Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Nevets
Sep 11, 2002

Be they sad or be they well,
I'll make their lives a hell
I've been using the Pip-Boy 2500 for a while now. It's basically a readius type pip-boy replacer made to look like the original Fallout 1/2 pipboy interface.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SplitSoul
Dec 31, 2000

Nevets posted:

I've been using the Pip-Boy 2500 for a while now. It's basically a readius type pip-boy replacer made to look like the original Fallout 1/2 pipboy interface.

Is there still the issue with animations? That's what held me off on getting a replacer.

MrMidnight
Aug 3, 2006

SplitSoul posted:

Sadly, no. There was a whole lot of them, some just made minor changes and some were probably unintended. But it just goes to show that familiarity with FNVEdit is a necessity for large mod lists, even if it is a huge pain in the rear end to figure out what goes where.

I'm at about 25 to 30 mods at the moment, with most of them either recommended in the OP or during the course of this thread. I took out Mission Mojave when I discovered it changes things other than just doing straight fixes, which is what I thought an "unofficial" patch was only supposed to do.

Takes No Damage
Nov 20, 2004

The most merciful thing in the world, I think, is the inability of the human mind to correlate all its contents. We live on a placid island of ignorance in the midst of black seas of infinity, and it was not meant that we should voyage far.

Grimey Drawer

QuantaStarFire posted:

Mission Mojave is the "unofficial patch" as far as I'm aware. Grab The Armory for a shitload of additional guns, and Police Automaton's Armor compilation for a bunch of armors, as well as one of the Weapon Mod mods for a bunch of additional weapon mods for vanilla guns. Grab Arenovalis' weapon retextures to make a bunch of the vanilla guns look really pretty. Grab RobCo Certified if you want to be able to build tons of different robots. Grab a UI mod (I recommend DarNified UI) for a better interface. Grab Right To Bear Arms if you want guns from the Gun Runner's Arsenal DLC to spawn on NPCs (who will then shoot you with them). Get Invisible Wall Remover to remove all the invisible walls that plague the game. CASM will help with managing your saves. Project Nevada will add a bunch of new cybernetic implants and other fun stuff for you to play with, and restore some FO3 guns.

Oh, and you'll probably need New Vegas Script Extender for everything.

That's all I can think of if you don't want to stray into "overhaul EVERYTHING" territory with things like JSawyer and the like. Project Nevada has a rebalance mod, but it's entirely optional and can be reconfigured back to vanilla stats on a whim.

Thanks for the list. JSawyer was one of the ones that everyone over in the Steam thread was talking about. The changelog looks interesting but does it maybe add a bit too much difficulty for Fallout noobs to use it in a first playthrough?

Nevets
Sep 11, 2002

SplitSoul posted:

Is there still the issue with animations? That's what held me off on getting a replacer.

I haven't had any, but are you thinking of problems with the readius mod? This is actually an entirely different one, just looks similar.

Antignition
Oct 13, 2010

The city looks almost bearable from up here.

Takes No Damage posted:

Thanks for the list. JSawyer was one of the ones that everyone over in the Steam thread was talking about. The changelog looks interesting but does it maybe add a bit too much difficulty for Fallout noobs to use it in a first playthrough?

It depends. I found fallout 3 and NV way too easy to begin with. The in-game difficulty slider is just a flat change of damage you take vs. damage enemies take, which just makes the game more tedious and gives you bullet-sponge enemies.

I'd say it's worth it on a vanilla playthrough if you like having to use more of your resources and money to get by. Without it I find you turn into a demigod with thousands upon thousands of caps you'll never spend and ammo up the wazoo and the game stops being very challenging around the 3rd city you visit.

Main things Jsawyer does:
-Lowers player initial health (& health gained on leveling up): Initial health is cut by a lot compared to vanilla; health gained on leveling up was nerfed slightly
-Lowers carrying capacity - helps curb this compulsive hoarding problem so many goons seem to have; occasionally it forces you to weigh what to keep and what to drop
-Leveling is 33% slower (still a little to fast IMO but much better than the regular rate)
-Level is capped at 35 instead of 50
-Hardcore mode: Increases the rates of hunger/thirst, makes food and water less common people are mixed about this change. I like it because relative scarcity makes eating and drinking actually matter now; before it was so easy to get food and drink to me it felt like playing with meters
-Courier's Stash and Gun Runner's Arsenal DLC are better integrated: before, as soon as you walked out of the starter area you were given about 20 preorder DLC items. Jsawyer rebalances the stats on the armors and spreads them over stashes in the wasteland. Gun Runner's Arsenal weapons are now used by a few enemies.
-Rebalances various armors/weapons (nerfs and buffs where appropriate)
-Gives stimpacks weight, food/drink gives you less health [sunset sasparilla soda is no longer viable as a sole healing item)
-Minor rebalances to perks Example: Junk rounds used to be a loving useless perk, one tin can for one round of ammunition, now it actually bears consideration
-Karma overhaul: Vanilla scenario: Raped, pillaged, and murdered your way across the mojave? Fret no more, kill a few drug-crazed fiends for an hour and you are now a saint of the wasteland! [much easier to play neutral/evil characters]
-Various minor bug fixes/tweaks

Think that covers most of it.

-----

As for other mods I recommend for a vanilla playthrough:

Manual Reload
Darn's UI
Delay DLC - sucks getting bombarded with these quests as soon as you start the game
More Realistic Aiming
Arenovalis's Weapon retextures (only texture mod I'd say is mandatory for a first playthrough)

If you think the nights are too drat bright:
Nights are Darker (3 settings to choose from) - if you like the 25% version there is another modder who updated that part, look for the link in the comment section on the nexus.

Antignition fucked around with this message at 18:49 on Jul 16, 2012

Rev. Melchisedech Howler
Sep 5, 2006

You know. Leather.
About to start a run-through after some time away. I'd really like to give the JSawyer mod a go, but I really don't want to lose the ProjectNevada features like sprinting and biomod/surgery stuff. I don't suppose I can get them to play nice?

Antignition
Oct 13, 2010

The city looks almost bearable from up here.
Everything works fine with jsawyer with the exception of the PN - rebalance feature. In my current playthrough i'm using Project Nevada core with jsawyer with no problems.

Tyma
Dec 22, 2004

I love Leinster and I couldn't be happier that Jordie Barrett has signed with them on a short term deal.
Just bought New Vegas on Steam, and went about trying to install mods, but Nexus Mod Manager crashes every time I try to install Project Nevada. I tried with an older version of Project Nevada, and I've made sure UAC is off, and none of the files involved in the installation are in the /program files directory. Every time is lets me choose which modules I want to install, and then crashes to desktop.

Could I manually apply the patching process somehow, or will I have to run the entire modding process on another PC, and then copy the fully modded New Vegas folder back across to my gaming PC?

Doctor Shitfaced
Feb 13, 2012
Don't use the Nexus Mod Manager. Never use the Nexus Mod Manager. EVER.

Just download and install the Fallout Mod Manager (FOMM), run it, and use the package manager to activate Project Nevada.

Light Gun Man
Oct 17, 2009

toEjaM iS oN
vaCatioN

Lipstick Apathy
Dunno, I used the Nexus manager for months without any major issues. Some stuff didn't like to install, but for those I just did manual installs and it was fine. Maybe I'm a fringe case, who knows.

CitizenKain
May 27, 2001

That was Gary Cooper, asshole.

Nap Ghost
I haven't had any issues with the Nexus mod manager. Just recently I thought I'd give the game another run though, I'm trying MTUI and it breaks Project Nevada for some reason. Guess I need to get Darnified installed again.

Cream-of-Plenty
Apr 21, 2010

"The world is a hellish place, and bad writing is destroying the quality of our suffering."

Light Gun Man posted:

Dunno, I used the Nexus manager for months without any major issues. Some stuff didn't like to install, but for those I just did manual installs and it was fine. Maybe I'm a fringe case, who knows.

I've given personal help to a lot of people whose problem ended up being NMM. I really wouldn't recommend using it, since it makes it impossible to troubleshoot problems when they pop up (since everything is automated.) I wouldn't doubt that it works flawlessly for some people, but I've gotten the, "I don't know, I just had NMM install it" response more times than I can count.

Rather Dashing posted:

About to start a run-through after some time away. I'd really like to give the JSawyer mod a go, but I really don't want to lose the ProjectNevada features like sprinting and biomod/surgery stuff. I don't suppose I can get them to play nice?

Pretty sure you can run those in conjunction. When you install PN, just select the Cyberware and Core modules, but not the Equipment or Rebalance ones.

Takes No Damage posted:

Not to toot my own horn, but I do make an effort to keep the OP up to date with most of the recommended mods, and it remains a reliable place for all your grocery shopping needs.

Nevets
Sep 11, 2002

I've used FOMM since NV came out, and I never switched to NMM when it came out because it would require a couple hours uninstalling and reinstalling mods (and probably screw up my install in the process). Seems to work OK with Skyrim, though.

Cream-of-Plenty
Apr 21, 2010

"The world is a hellish place, and bad writing is destroying the quality of our suffering."

quiggy posted:

I picked up both Fallout 3 and New Vegas in the Steam sale and decided to come looking here for mods. I found A Requiem for the Capital Wasteland and would love to have it so that I could just play both areas in the same game, but unfortunately the mod isn't currently available on Nexus. Is there either a different mod that does the same thing or an alternate place I can download the mod from?

Currently, it sounds like Bethesda issued a C&D for any mods that attempt to unite FO3 and NV. There's rumor that Requiem for the Capital Wasteland is in talks with Bethesda reps about getting the mod re-released, but I don't believe you'll find anything along the lines of these mods right now. Everybody's hiding from the lawyers.

Cirosan
Jan 3, 2012

History repeats. I remember this exact same thing happening with Morroblivion back in the day; frankly, I'm amazed that Requiem stayed up for as long as it did.

quiggy
Aug 7, 2010

[in Russian] Oof.

Cream-of-Plenty posted:

Currently, it sounds like Bethesda issued a C&D for any mods that attempt to unite FO3 and NV. There's rumor that Requiem for the Capital Wasteland is in talks with Bethesda reps about getting the mod re-released, but I don't believe you'll find anything along the lines of these mods right now. Everybody's hiding from the lawyers.

Interesting. I guess we'll have to see what happens with that.

Also, I installed Western Skies since I liked how the clouds looked. I knew that there were sandstorms but nothing quite like this. Made killing geckos with Sunny Smiles much harder.

http://steamcommunity.com/id/quiggy_b/screenshot/595849980689820376

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

I can't get FNV4GB to work. It says can't find the file specified, and the game crashes after the beth logo when running through fomm :(

edit: I got FN4GB to load but it still crashes no matter what I do, I don't have any mods right now.

edit2: it was that performance increaser dll thing from the op. It doesn't work anymore, or with this.

GreenBuckanneer fucked around with this message at 22:12 on Jul 16, 2012

Cream-of-Plenty
Apr 21, 2010

GreenBuckanneer posted:

I can't get FNV4GB to work. It says can't find the file specified, and the game crashes after the beth logo when running through fomm :(

edit: I got FN4GB to load but it still crashes no matter what I do, I don't have any mods right now.

Do you have NVSE installed?

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

Yeah I had that installed, for now the only things I have are CASM, Mission Mojave Ultimate, and BettergamePerf.

With the 4GB launcher it seems to give me almost 10+ fps to around 45fps on my old system.

Trying to get mods installed one by now now.

Legs Benedict
Jul 14, 2002

You can either follow me to our bedroom or bend over that control throne because I haven't been this turned on in FOREVER!
So, uh. I downloaded Lombard Station. Which is great, but I can only access it from The Sink. The key is simply no where to be found. Is there an item ID or something I can use to just add the key to my inventory?

Crigit
Sep 6, 2011

I'll show you my naval if you show me yours.
Let's get naut'y.

Legs Benedict posted:

So, uh. I downloaded Lombard Station. Which is great, but I can only access it from The Sink. The key is simply no where to be found. Is there an item ID or something I can use to just add the key to my inventory?

Should be on the dead NCR guy added to Jean Skydiving, just south of goodsprings.
Alternatively: open the console, click on the door, and type unlock.

Legs Benedict
Jul 14, 2002

You can either follow me to our bedroom or bend over that control throne because I haven't been this turned on in FOREVER!

Crigit posted:

Should be on the dead NCR guy added to Jean Skydiving, just south of goodsprings.
Alternatively: open the console, click on the door, and type unlock.

Yeah, no dead NCR guy there for me haha. Will I have to console-unlock the door every time, or will it stay unlocked permanently? Not that it's a big deal.

Crigit
Sep 6, 2011

Let's get naut'y.

Legs Benedict posted:

Yeah, no dead NCR guy there for me haha. Will I have to console-unlock the door every time, or will it stay unlocked permanently? Not that it's a big deal.

Should stay unlocked forever I think. Have you tried checking things out in FNVEdit? It's possible some other mod is also messing with the Jean Skydiving cell, overwriting lombard's changes. You might be able to fix it by putting lombard lower in your load order, or whipping up a compatibility patch to resolve any conflicts you find (you can do this pretty easily by using the copy as override function into your merged patch, or a new esp you made for this purpose).

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

Anyone able to get package manager working on FOMM? I can't seem to get it to work at all, it crashes fomm.

And no I haven't installed NMM.

edit: fomm doesn't seem to work but NMM works and is virtually the same.

Now I just need to figure out how to get DarnUI and Nevada to work together.

GreenBuckanneer fucked around with this message at 23:01 on Jul 16, 2012

Fantastic Alice
Jan 23, 2012

GreenBuckanneer posted:

Anyone able to get package manager working on FOMM? I can't seem to get it to work at all, it crashes fomm.

And no I haven't installed NMM.

edit: fomm doesn't seem to work but NMM works and is virtually the same.

Do not go with the option to keep yourself logged in. Or just don't log in when it asks.

QuantaStarFire
May 18, 2006

Grimey Drawer

GreenBuckanneer posted:

Project Nevada comes with files for compatibility with DarNUI, so install the UI and then install the compatibility files. They're in the "optional" folder in the PN download, I think.

Crigit
Sep 6, 2011

Let's get naut'y.

QuantaStarFire posted:

Project Nevada comes with files for compatibility with DarNUI, so install the UI and then install the compatibility files. They're in the "optional" folder in the PN download, I think.

If you use fomm, does PN automatically detect darnui and install those files, or do you need to do it manually?

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

I figured out what I was doing wrong, it was the [FONTS] part of the INI, I forgot about it.

bongwizzard
May 19, 2005

Then one day I meet a man,
He came to me and said,
"Hard work good and hard work fine,
but first take care of head"
Grimey Drawer
I took the plunge and bought New Vegas on PC and I want to mod it up. I read the OP and am looking to run the following:

Project Nevada
J.E. Sawyer's Overhaul
Electro-City
Nevada Skies - Weather Effects Beta
Increased Wasteland Spawns
rePopulated Wasteland
Military Expansion Program
Signature Armor
Signature Weapons

So two questions:

1)Are there any glaring incompatibilities in this list?
2)I would like some mods that add weapons and armor, but not a ton of tacticlol crap, but things that look like they "fit", if that makes any sense.

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

Where do I put "MMUE-CP-NVInteriors.esp"?

code:
falloutnv.esm
FalloutNV.esm
DeadMoney.esm
HonestHearts.esm
OldWorldBlues.esm
LonesomeRoad.esm
GunRunnersArsenal.esm
ClassicPack.esm
MercenaryPack.esm
TribalPack.esm
CaravanPack.esm
IWR.esm
domecity.esm
domecity_Kaz_plugin.esm
Interior Lighting Overhaul - Core.esm
Project Nevada - Core.esm
Project Nevada - Equipment.esm
Tales from the Burning Sands.esm
Project Nevada - Rebalance.esp
Project Nevada - Cyberware.esp
Mission Mojave - Ultimate Edition.esp
DarNifiedUINV.esp
CASM.esp
IWR - Rebuilt.esp
Readius_NV.esp
Lucky 38 Suite Expansion.esp
The New Bison Steve Hotel.esp
Existence2.0.esp
CONELRAD 640-1240.esp
CRL9K_ThisMachineSound.esp
NewVegasBounties.esp
NewVegasBountiesII.esp
Rustyhwys.esp
Better Binoculars High.esp
MMUE-CP-PNCore.esp
MMUE-CP-PNRebalance.esp
MMUE-CP-PNEquipment.esp
MMUE-CP-PNOWB.esp
LFox Bottle That Water.esp
Vurt's WFO.esp
Western Sky.esp
Western Sky - Darker Nights.esp
Interior Lighting Overhaul - Ultimate Edition.esp
ILO - PipBoy Light.esp
BetterGamePerformanceV4.esp

Crigit
Sep 6, 2011

Let's get naut'y.

GreenBuckanneer posted:

Where do I put "MMUE-CP-NVInteriors.esp"?

Any point after mission mojave and NV interiors should be fine. For the sake of organization and readability I'd just stick it right in the cluster of other MMUE compatibility patches you've got near the bottom.

Naky
May 30, 2001

Resident Crackhead

bunnielab posted:

2)I would like some mods that add weapons and armor, but not a ton of tacticlol crap, but things that look like they "fit", if that makes any sense.

LPAM and Project Nevada's equipment module are probably what you're looking for. You could try out our weapon mod, but you'll be forced to use the cabinet esp to go searching for weapons that suit your immersion tastes. We have poo poo for everyone in it, from the tactilolers to the immersionists to the roleplayers, but ya gotta be willing to sort through it first.

I have to say though, I'm still surprised that nobody's bothered to make an immersionist friendly esp based off TA's master. I figured there'd be enough of you out there who'd be willing to go placing weapons around the game world. Hell, I even started one for you guys :v:

jackofarcades
Sep 2, 2011

Okay, I'll admit it took me a bit to get into it... But I think I kinda love this!! I'm Spider-Man!! I'm actually Spider-Man!! HA!
Oh man, I haven't played this in a year and Cirosan's Overhaul looks awesome. I can't wait to get that working with Project Nevada and JSawyer.esp

Gyshall
Feb 24, 2009

Had a couple of drinks.
Saw a couple of things.
Yeah, CCO/PN/JSawyer is pretty much the holy grail. My recommendation: Use only CCO + Jsawyer for the overhaul, and use PN for the core and weapon module (Cyberware too, which is pretty good.)

jackofarcades
Sep 2, 2011

Okay, I'll admit it took me a bit to get into it... But I think I kinda love this!! I'm Spider-Man!! I'm actually Spider-Man!! HA!

Gyshall posted:

Yeah, CCO/PN/JSawyer is pretty much the holy grail. My recommendation: Use only CCO + Jsawyer for the overhaul, and use PN for the core and weapon module (Cyberware too, which is pretty good.)

So no rebalance stuff from PN? I've never used PN, either.

Cream-of-Plenty
Apr 21, 2010

jackofarcades posted:

So no rebalance stuff from PN? I've never used PN, either.

That's all JSawyer is, really, is rebalancing. So yeah, don't use the PN Rebalance module.

Crigit
Sep 6, 2011

Let's get naut'y.

Gyshall posted:

I can never not use PN's rebalance module just for the ability to modify carry weight on the fly. Turn it down for normal exploring, but once you've cleared an area and it's time to haul all that loot back to base, you crank that motherfucker to maximum and do it in one trip because gently caress, I don't want to spend my videogame time playing post-apocolyptic logistics transport services. Besides, the PN rebalance module can be customized in the configuration menu to behave like CCO or JSawyer for the most part.

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

Antignition posted:

Main things Jsawyer does:
-Lowers player initial health (& health gained on leveling up): Initial health is cut by a lot compared to vanilla; health gained on leveling up was nerfed slightly
-Lowers carrying capacity - helps curb this compulsive hoarding problem so many goons seem to have; occasionally it forces you to weigh what to keep and what to drop
-Leveling is 33% slower (still a little to fast IMO but much better than the regular rate)
-Level is capped at 35 instead of 50
-Hardcore mode: Increases the rates of hunger/thirst, makes food and water less common people are mixed about this change. I like it because relative scarcity makes eating and drinking actually matter now; before it was so easy to get food and drink to me it felt like playing with meters
-Courier's Stash and Gun Runner's Arsenal DLC are better integrated: before, as soon as you walked out of the starter area you were given about 20 preorder DLC items. Jsawyer rebalances the stats on the armors and spreads them over stashes in the wasteland. Gun Runner's Arsenal weapons are now used by a few enemies.
-Rebalances various armors/weapons (nerfs and buffs where appropriate)
-Gives stimpacks weight, food/drink gives you less health [sunset sasparilla soda is no longer viable as a sole healing item)
-Minor rebalances to perks Example: Junk rounds used to be a loving useless perk, one tin can for one round of ammunition, now it actually bears consideration
-Karma overhaul: Vanilla scenario: Raped, pillaged, and murdered your way across the mojave? Fret no more, kill a few drug-crazed fiends for an hour and you are now a saint of the wasteland! [much easier to play neutral/evil characters]
-Various minor bug fixes/tweaks

Think that covers most of it.

I don't get why people love jSawyer so much. Other than re-balancing certain aspects, literally all decreased carrying capacity does is make you play Inventory Keeper: New Vegas a lot more than the actual game. It makes nothing actually harder in any way whatsoever, and you will only have to throw stuff away if you're completely lazy.

Inventory is fairly ridiculous in vanilla, yes, but half of the problem here is that the game organizes inventory terribly. The only modern RPG inventory system I've seen that is worse is Mass Effect 1.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bongwizzard
May 19, 2005

Then one day I meet a man,
He came to me and said,
"Hard work good and hard work fine,
but first take care of head"
Grimey Drawer
Oh lord the acronyms are flying.

Gyshall posted:

What is COO?

Naky posted:

LPAM and Project Nevada's equipment module are probably what you're looking for. You could try out our weapon mod, but you'll be forced to use the cabinet esp to go searching for weapons that suit your immersion tastes. We have poo poo for everyone in it, from the tactilolers to the immersionists to the roleplayers, but ya gotta be willing to sort through it first.

I have to say though, I'm still surprised that nobody's bothered to make an immersionist friendly esp based off TA's master. I figured there'd be enough of you out there who'd be willing to go placing weapons around the game world. Hell, I even started one for you guys :v:

What does like any of this mean?

I literally got back into PC gaming like two months ago so all this poo poo is very foreign to me. Although the very nice guys in the STALKER thread talked me through getting that modded and running so I assume that a more normal game cant be that bad.