Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
mewse
May 2, 2006

Moniker posted:

I am gonna try that all day today. I'm curious if anyone has dealt with custom mouth guards? LIke the ones from http://custommouthguards.com. A lot of people say they're so non intrusive that they sometimes leave the gym and still have it in. If that's the case I'll get a custom and just skip out on all of the gagging. Heh.

The best mouth guards are custom made by dentists

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Paul Pot
Mar 4, 2010

by Y Kant Ozma Post

mewse posted:

The best mouth guards are custom made by dentists

^this

maybe he's using one of those dumb double mouthguards, only use mouthguards that stick to your upper jaw...

swagger like us
Oct 27, 2005

Don't mind me. We must protect rapists and misogynists from harm. If they're innocent they must not be named. Surely they'll never harm their sleeping, female patients. Watch me defend this in great detail. I am not a mens rights activist either.
Update for this who care but, talking to the other blackbelt at the GB place I went to, and in exactly the way I was told by my friends back in town, he doesn't care. Hell, the first day, the GB gi I was borrowing wasnt there so he just let me wear my own gi to class. When I first met him, he asked me where I trained, and didnt even hesitate to allow me in class. The other BB said Im going to have to rent one of their lovely gi's while Im here*

I miss kickboxing and no-gi, but I see this as a 6week gi BJJ camp (we do no-gi once a week though). Anyways, that being said, anyone here weightlift aswell as BJJ? I'm having a hard time fitting it into my schedule as I start work at 7am, till around 430pm. Most classes start at 630-7pm. I'm going to try to fit some sort of weightlifting in the morning, but I work a somewhat physical job during the day so we'll see. Any tips on weightlifting programs for MMA/BJJ/Wrestling/whatever? Im looking to cut weight, so I want the benefits of weightlifting for that, plus I need time to do more shoulder rehab and I found a good shoulder rehab protocol online that I want to work in. Am I just going to gas out at BJJ and feel like crap weightlifting or should I give it a go trying a 3-day lifting regime in the mornings before work? Probably Westside For Skinny Bastards plus the shoulder protocol.

*Seriously, any GB place that is mandatory about buying their own gis is a McDojo, plain and simple. One thing is team solidarity (which can easily be mitigated by mandatory patches) but the other thing is a mandatory $100-150 gi that is about the same, if not shittier quality than my $80 Fuji BJJ gi. Yes its a business practice, but I still think its over the top and ridiculous.

CRISPYBABY
Dec 15, 2007

by Reene
I hate that poo poo. I love my Kickboxing gym, but they say you have to wear a club shirt while you train. Just in case you forget where you are I guess? I bought the cheapest one to shut em up when I signed the contract and haven't worn it since and no one's ever given me poo poo about it so it hasn't been too bad but I think the principal is so stupid.

Rhaka
Feb 15, 2008

Practice knighthood and learn
the art that dignifies you

Black Cat posted:

I'll soon be looking for gyms and training programs. Is there any motivation to add my own mix to things and take what I may or is this kind of behavior severely frowned upon? I'm definitely not going to break any rules, but if I find that something I'm not instructed to do works better or if I find that I just don't feel natural or comfortable doing something instructed will I be "that guy" or is this ok? I can definitely see something with much more regiment to be expected to follow with as much precision as possible.

If you show up at a HEMA gym wanting to use your sweet LARP moves, unfortunately, yes, you will be *that guy*. Tons of LARPers end up poking their heads in, tons of them quit as soon as it becomes apparent that they can't spec as a dual weapons Fury Warrior. That said, any gym worth your time will be willing to explain why stuff does or does not work.

As soon as you figure out Winden, Mutieren and Duplieren you're invincible to LARPers anyway.

02-6611-0142-1
Sep 30, 2004

I'm in kind of a weird place with my BJJ right now. My game is basically a bunch of tricksy-guard-poo poo and collar chokes, but I want to take an MMA fight in the next six months or so, so I'm pretty much scrapping my entire game because it's worthless for MMA, and trying to build a new one from scratch. I wish I'd started actively planning my game a lot earlier, oh well.

I think I'm going to imitate my friend who is really good at darce chokes: You can do them from a lot of top positions, if you don't get the choke to work you're still in a safe and dominant position, easy paths to the back, works no-gi, probably legal in judo. So I'm thinking I'll stop attacking from guard, make side control my central position, find a set of sweeps and escapes that'll help me get there when my position's worse, etc.

Maybe I should draw myself up a map, but a drawn map of a bjj gameplan would probably become a ten-dimensional mess. Then again, I should be trying to simplify my arsenal as much as possible, I guess?

BirdOfPlay
Feb 19, 2012

THUNDERDOME LOSER

Black Cat posted:

I'll soon be looking for gyms and training programs. Is there any motivation to add my own mix to things and take what I may or is this kind of behavior severely frowned upon? I'm definitely not going to break any rules, but if I find that something I'm not instructed to do works better or if I find that I just don't feel natural or comfortable doing something instructed will I be "that guy" or is this ok? I can definitely see something with much more regiment to be expected to follow with as much precision as possible.

I'm an olympic-style fencer, for what it's worth.

There is the basic assumption that anything you can come up with a neophyte is not going to be all that "new" and, probably, not very effective. For fencing, in most of the weapons being a "trick" or unorthodox fencer can make you a decent low level fencer, but not much above that. Unless your Seth Kelsey, that is...

For example, in fencing the on guard position is not normal, not comfortable, and even works the two halves of your body differently (left to right dimorphism is common in fencers). But, it's much easier to move back and forth in this position. So, if it's about not doing the basics or thinking that you're better than the basics after a month, you'll definitely be "that guy." Note, you're never done with the basics in most any MA or combat sport. NEVER :catstare:

That said, if you're talking about "seeing responses" to what you're actively learning at the time, that's a good sign. It shows that you're not only digesting and actively learning, but your thinking about how your actions work "for real." If I was your coach, I would pat you on the head if you did this. And then tell you do the drill as instructed. When I was first starting sabre, I realized that I could trick my opponents into parrying one way and then finishing in the newly formed opening. I had self-discovered a (crude, mind you) change of line. Change of lines and disengages are still a big part of my offensive game.

And, finally, about how your club/gym/what-have-you will treat this. Rhaka is completely right:

Rhaka posted:

That said, any gym worth your time will be willing to explain why stuff does or does not work.

Things like "that's just the way it is" are not valid reasons to be doing something a certain way and, really, actions don't become conventions without a very good reason.

Rhaka
Feb 15, 2008

Absolutely, I'm very much in favour of experimenting and figuring out what does and does not work, and why. Especially with HEMA, where everything is pretty much up for debate and instructor quality varies a lot. You explained it better than I did, until you figure out how things work you probably won't have any radical new insights that others haven't thought of before.

For example, the shield vision blocking and low attacks might seem to work against other beginners, but an experienced fighter will just hit you on the head while staying out of your attacking range, or stab over the shield.

Paul Pot
Mar 4, 2010

by Y Kant Ozma Post

attackmole posted:

I hate that poo poo. I love my Kickboxing gym, but they say you have to wear a club shirt while you train. Just in case you forget where you are I guess? I bought the cheapest one to shut em up when I signed the contract and haven't worn it since and no one's ever given me poo poo about it so it hasn't been too bad but I think the principal is so stupid.

That's sad, at my gym you only get to wear the shirt if you're a fighter...and being a fighter means you're expected to regularly train & compete, not show up once or twice a week.

Thoguh
Nov 8, 2002

College Slice
Here, have a totally staged but still impressive just for the athleticism involved Hapkido gif.

mewse
May 2, 2006

My coach opened his boxing/MMA gym in January and he told me he was heavily influenced by the Taekwondo gym he took his kids to

- Gym t-shirts are a mandatory uniform (I'm OK with this, at least its not a $150 gi)
- You can get all your basic gear from the front desk for a significant markup
- Shortest term membership is 3 months, drop in passes sold as a 10 pack

Paramemetic
Sep 29, 2003

Area 51. You heard of it, right?

Fallen Rib
Hello thread, looking for some advice or some advice on where to look for advice.

When I was a little kid, like, 9-10 my parents had me doing TKD which unfortunately gave me some lovely habits, probably out of nervousness. I learned motions but never learned confidence with them and was always totally angst about if I'm doing it right or whatever.

A few years later, throughout upper-middle and high school I trained Bando. I had a great coach who taught me very well. I became much more capable and it helped me in more ways than just physical fitness and such. I unfortunately essentially stopped training when I moved to college, even though I'd chosen my college based on availability of a Bando teacher.

I'm now wanting to get back into some degree of martial discipline. I'm hopefully moving in a week or two, so I won't be able to look for a school/teacher until after that, but I did progress far enough in Bando to know what to work on and how to work on it as far as getting fit by punching things. So that's not the issue.

The one thing I can't figure out, and never have figured out, however, is how to loosen the gently caress up. All through my Bando training, my biggest enemy was that I can't get loose. I'm rigid and robotic. I throw punches that are mechanical. I'm stiff and my shoulders are constantly tense and I throw a punch in a staccato kinda way. I can deliver a dynamically effective technique, and I can even flow from one technique into another rather fluidly (if I was anticipating doing so), but I can't break this horrible feeling of jerking around like a marionette. When I was training to work with juvenile delinquents, even, my instructor for that was commenting that I need to relax and not be so drat rigid.

The thing is, I've heard that criticism forever but I can't do it. I breathe, do progressive muscle relaxation, whatever, but as soon as I need to throw a punch or block or whatever, I'm back up to robot beep boop machine man. I feel like this, more than anything else, has been my problem with developing as a martial artist and probably as a person. I just don't feel comfortable, like I don't trust my body to do what I want it to do. Hell, it undermines me in a lot of things, I don't take chances sometimes because I don't trust my body to do what I want it to - I don't trust something to go where I throw it, I don't trust myself to catch something that should be easy to catch. I'm just physically awkward as gently caress I guess, and it manifests as hella-rigidity and roboticness when I'm hittin' things.

So, how do I fix this? Or what Google terms should I use to search for myself? Or what kind of teacher should I seek out?

KidDynamite
Feb 11, 2005

Paramemetic posted:

Hello thread, looking for some advice or some advice on where to look for advice.

When I was a little kid, like, 9-10 my parents had me doing TKD which unfortunately gave me some lovely habits, probably out of nervousness. I learned motions but never learned confidence with them and was always totally angst about if I'm doing it right or whatever.

A few years later, throughout upper-middle and high school I trained Bando. I had a great coach who taught me very well. I became much more capable and it helped me in more ways than just physical fitness and such. I unfortunately essentially stopped training when I moved to college, even though I'd chosen my college based on availability of a Bando teacher.

I'm now wanting to get back into some degree of martial discipline. I'm hopefully moving in a week or two, so I won't be able to look for a school/teacher until after that, but I did progress far enough in Bando to know what to work on and how to work on it as far as getting fit by punching things. So that's not the issue.

The one thing I can't figure out, and never have figured out, however, is how to loosen the gently caress up. All through my Bando training, my biggest enemy was that I can't get loose. I'm rigid and robotic. I throw punches that are mechanical. I'm stiff and my shoulders are constantly tense and I throw a punch in a staccato kinda way. I can deliver a dynamically effective technique, and I can even flow from one technique into another rather fluidly (if I was anticipating doing so), but I can't break this horrible feeling of jerking around like a marionette. When I was training to work with juvenile delinquents, even, my instructor for that was commenting that I need to relax and not be so drat rigid.

The thing is, I've heard that criticism forever but I can't do it. I breathe, do progressive muscle relaxation, whatever, but as soon as I need to throw a punch or block or whatever, I'm back up to robot beep boop machine man. I feel like this, more than anything else, has been my problem with developing as a martial artist and probably as a person. I just don't feel comfortable, like I don't trust my body to do what I want it to do. Hell, it undermines me in a lot of things, I don't take chances sometimes because I don't trust my body to do what I want it to - I don't trust something to go where I throw it, I don't trust myself to catch something that should be easy to catch. I'm just physically awkward as gently caress I guess, and it manifests as hella-rigidity and roboticness when I'm hittin' things.

So, how do I fix this? Or what Google terms should I use to search for myself? Or what kind of teacher should I seek out?

Have you ever been punched in the face?

Paramemetic
Sep 29, 2003

Area 51. You heard of it, right?

Fallen Rib

KidDynamite posted:

Have you ever been punched in the face?

Yeah, I tend to be decent about touching up but it happens.

Edit: and it's been a few years, I'm out of practice.

Xguard86
Nov 22, 2004

"You don't understand his pain. Everywhere he goes he sees women working, wearing pants, speaking in gatherings, voting. Surely they will burn in the white hot flames of Hell"
Go box and make friends with a black lightweight.

This is only kind of a joke

Fontoyn
Aug 25, 2009

by Y Kant Ozma Post

Paramemetic posted:

Yeah, I tend to be decent about touching up but it happens.

Edit: and it's been a few years, I'm out of practice.

Punched hard?

Antinumeric
Nov 27, 2010

BoxGiraffe

Have you ever done full free sparring? Do that. And boxing.

Paul Pot
Mar 4, 2010

by Y Kant Ozma Post
idk if this is the right thread, but I read that guys post and can't keep myself from picturing him having sex..help?

mewse
May 2, 2006

When I learned how to relax my shoulders it felt like it improved my right cross by 100%

Xguard86
Nov 22, 2004

"You don't understand his pain. Everywhere he goes he sees women working, wearing pants, speaking in gatherings, voting. Surely they will burn in the white hot flames of Hell"

Paul Pot posted:

idk if this is the right thread, but I read that guys post and can't keep myself from picturing him having sex..help?

You could cross post a lot of stuff between this thread and the sex advice thread and no one would catch on.

entris
Oct 22, 2008

by Y Kant Ozma Post

Xguard86 posted:

You could cross post a lot of stuff between this thread and the sex advice thread and no one would catch on.

The self-defense discussions would not go over well in the sex advice thread, I think.

Rhaka
Feb 15, 2008

We hosted a tourney for the HEMA school today. First time in ages we'd done so, after me taking the initiative because none of our more casual members ever get a taste of tourney fighting, because they don't go abroad for HEMA events.

It went pretty well. Not a whole lot of people showed up, we had 8 participants and 4 refs, so everyone got to fight at least once against everybody else. Spent the whole tourney reffing, my first time really doing so. poo poo be tricky, yo. We used a fairly simple ruleset, 3 minutes/10 exchanges, 5 doubles both fighters are out. Hands weren't a valid target, which cut down on the broken fingers considerably.

Only had one person blow up and cuss out the refs, worst match ever, yada yada, so it went fairly well! Also the most inexperienced person there landed the cleanest mutieren of everyone, was pretty awesome to see.

Point sparring is silly.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

actually, yeah, I am a little mad

entris posted:

The self-defense discussions would not go over well in the sex advice thread, I think.

Look if you want to be 100% safe, just turn around, and run away as fast as you can. There's no more effective way of getting out of the situation than having good running shoes.

entris
Oct 22, 2008

by Y Kant Ozma Post

kimbo305 posted:

Look if you want to be 100% safe, just turn around, and run away as fast as you can. There's no more effective way of getting out of the situation than having good running shoes.

:raise:

There really ought to be a self-defense thread, because self-defense discussions in this thread often seem out-of-place to me.

G-Mawwwwwww
Jan 31, 2003

My LPth are Hot Garbage
Biscuit Hider

Paramemetic posted:

Whenever I see people thinking too hard or stressing the gently caress out too much in the gym, I have them sing me the Fresh Prince theme song. Everyone knows the words and everyone cracks the gently caress up and their punches get more relaxed and a lot faster.

Not a joke post, not a troll post, legit thing I make people do.

Xguard86
Nov 22, 2004

entris posted:

:raise:

There really ought to be a self-defense thread, because self-defense discussions in this thread often seem out-of-place to me.

Ehh just not much to talk about. Everyone agrees you should stay out of bad situations and locations and be ready to run asap.

If you need more than that and still talking about non firearm things you're probably a LEO and past talking about that stuff on the Internet.

CRISPYBABY
Dec 15, 2007

by Reene

Paul Pot posted:

That's sad, at my gym you only get to wear the shirt if you're a fighter...and being a fighter means you're expected to regularly train & compete, not show up once or twice a week.

Whatever. It's a shirt dude. There's a whole lot of status bitching in fighting that I don't get.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

actually, yeah, I am a little mad

My sex joke was too oblique :(

Amalek
Jan 3, 2012
Great thread, learned a lot.

Is it reasonable to say that I will sign up for Aikido first, and then when I get in better shape to sign up for Krav Maga?

Rinar
Sep 9, 2007

Amalek posted:

Is it reasonable to say that I will sign up for Aikido first, and then when I get in better shape to sign up for Krav Maga?

If you want to do Krav Maga, then start doing Krav Maga. You'll get in better shape as you train so just show up and don't worry about it.

Thoguh
Nov 8, 2002

College Slice
Never get in shape to do a martial art. Do a martial art to get in shape instead.

mewse
May 2, 2006

But isn't Krav Maga dangerous?

henkman
Oct 8, 2008
Krav Maga is pretty safe compared to Aikido, the martial art so dangerous they do everything at 25% speed or else they'd kill or maim their partner

Guilty
May 3, 2003
Ask me about how people having a bad reaction to MSG makes them racist, because I've never heard of gluten sensitivity

Amalek posted:

It's like you 'learned' a lot and chose to ignore all of it...

Xguard86
Nov 22, 2004

Guilty posted:

It's like you 'learned' a lot and chose to ignore all of it...

yep...

Anyway, I updated the OP with the "dont workout before you workout" advice since a lot of people ask that or think they need to prep.

entris
Oct 22, 2008

by Y Kant Ozma Post
Is it even possible to use Aikido to get in shape for Krav Maga? :psyduck:

That's like walking around your block to prepare for a half-marathon.

manyak
Jan 26, 2006
Actually its like walking around your block to prepare for walking around your block while wearing a big sign that says "I am an idiot"

Xguard86
Nov 22, 2004

I get the idea of krav maga it's kind of an ma sampler platter. Learn some striking learn some wrestling learn some subs. Most people are not going to be world champions, so no harm in diversifying.

What I don't get is when they go right back to that "too deadly to spar" bullshit and spend all day doing one step sparring and choreography.

manyak
Jan 26, 2006

Xguard86 posted:

I get the idea of krav maga it's kind of an ma sampler platter. Learn some striking learn some wrestling learn some subs. Most people are not going to be world champions, so no harm in diversifying.

What I don't get is when they go right back to that "too deadly to spar" bullshit and spend all day doing one step sparring and choreography.

The thing is theres a million MMA gyms now where you can get a better sampler platter, for instance any decent MMA gym will have at least a few brown/black belts in BJJ, if youre in the states a decent wrestling coach usually, and a boxing/muay thai coach with some pro or at least amateur experience. Or you could go to krav maga and learn all 3 from a fat jewish guy with no experience in any of them who claims to be Israeli special forces and wears israeli flag pants like the Rex kwon do guy

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

entris
Oct 22, 2008

by Y Kant Ozma Post
I think good Krav Maga is a great intro course to martial arts. It exposes you to some striking, some grappling, some joint-lock stuff, and some weapons stuff. It also focuses a lot on conditioning, and it tries to instill aggressiveness/assertiveness in the students. It's kind of like an associate's degree. (In this metaphor, a blue/purple belt in bjj, a blackbelt in traditional martial arts, and maybe three to four years of intense training in any other system are bachelors degrees, and anything beyond is a graduate degree.)

The problem is that a lot of krav instructors are pay-for-certification instructors, and also the curriculum is not particularly deep, so a krav guy is going to get out-grappled by a grappler, out-punched/kicked by boxers and kickboxers, and murdered by weapons people.

But for most krav students, that doesn't really matter because they a) won't be competing in grappling, striking, or weapons sparring and b) almost certainly won't be relying on their krav in self-defense circumstances.

Krav is really great if you want to dip your toe in the pool of martial arts, and you want a good work-out, and you like hitting pads instead of aerobic boxing/kickboxing. If you find yourself really getting into striking, or grappling, or weapons, then it's time to switch to a system dedicated to that.

• Locked thread