Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Zarkov Cortez
Aug 18, 2007

Alas, our kitten class attack ships were no match for their mighty chairs

theultimo posted:

darned you iPhone autocorrect! I was gonna put infinitally, but it came out wonky :/

Keep trying

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rastor
Jun 2, 2001

And now for something completely different:

Nexus 7 unboxing montage.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=32DD4DF7Qpo

Give it at least a minute (or jump to 30 seconds or so if you're in a hurry).

Mister Fister
May 17, 2008

D&D: HASBARA SQUAD
KILL-GORE

I love the smell of dead Palestinians in the morning.
You know, one time we had Gaza bombed for 26 days
(and counting!)

Rastor posted:

That guy trying to cut it open with a collar stay is just embarrassing.

Jensen
Jun 4, 2006
Android Tablet Thread: Making Up Words As We Go.

Even MG likes the Nexus 7. I'm truly curious how well this thing is going to sell for Google. I know it's going to sell well, but are we talking tens of millions?

Dr. Despair
Nov 4, 2009

39 perfect posts with each roll.

Heck, 10's of thousands would probably be good for an android tablet.

yamdankee
Jan 23, 2005

~anderoid fragmentation~

Rastor posted:

At 1:07, the woman resting the knife against her finger. :gonk: I've never understood the point of unboxing videos. Are people actually interested in how the things listed in "what's in the box" are stored in the box, or are they making judgments based on how how things are arranged? Quality of cardboard?

How in the world could you hold a knife like that?

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

If you're having problems you're either holding the phone wrong or you have tiny girl hands.

yamdankee posted:

At 1:07, the woman resting the knife against her finger. :gonk: I've never understood the point of unboxing videos. Are people actually interested in how the things listed in "what's in the box" are stored in the box, or are they making judgments based on how how things are arranged? Quality of cardboard?

How in the world could you hold a knife like that?

It gives people the feeling of opening new toys without spending the money.

Syrinxx
Mar 28, 2002

Death is whimsical today

Speaking of unboxing videos, here is the world's worst:

http://cnettv.cnet.com/always-unboxes-asus-transformer-pad-infinity-tf700/9742-1_53-50127631.html

Apparently this lady thinks Asus is pronounced "Uh-soos" and this video cuts directly from the Infinity in the box to the Infinity charged up, powered on and in her hand. There is literally not 1 second of unboxing shown.

Also she says "the weight is 1.3 pounds... so it's a little heavy :rolleyes:" and then less than 1 minute later she says how thin and light it is.

Syrinxx fucked around with this message at 19:59 on Jul 16, 2012

yamdankee
Jan 23, 2005

~anderoid fragmentation~
"Like, cause that's no iPad, right there." :psyduck:

randyest
Sep 1, 2004

by R. Guyovich

Rohaq posted:

So with the blessing of Thermopyle*, I bring you this news:

I called Google today regarding my Nexus 7 preorder (ordered 28/06). According to them, the first set of preorders for the UK should be going out today and tomorrow.

Hopefully this is true, and I wasn't just fobbed off. I guess we'll see.

*For just this post. Don't go crazy, people.
I am old and reasonably well-read and I have never heard that word (fobbed). I thought you made it up or mangled the spelling of something like that other guy, but it turns out I am just ignorant. Wow, thanks for the new word!

Captain Cancer
Sep 18, 2005

Teach em' young

Syrinxx posted:

http://cnettv.cnet.com/always-unboxes-asus-transformer-pad-infinity-tf700/9742-1_53-50127631.html

Apparently this lady thinks Asus is pronounced "Uh-soos" and this video cuts directly from the Infinity in the box to the Infinity charged up, powered on and in her hand. There is literally not 1 second of unboxing shown.

Also she says "the weight is 1.3 pounds... so it's a little heavy :rolleyes:" and then less than 1 minute later she says how thin and light it is.

Wow, how obnoxious. The infinity looks like a nice bit of kit though, that circular brushed metal look is pretty ace.

I don't know why I'm torturing myself reading this thread and subforum in general, as I definitely can't afford any of these devices right now. And I'm not quite ready to try Ainol

rigeek
Jun 12, 2006

randyest posted:

I am old and reasonably well-read and I have never heard that word (fobbed). I thought you made it up or mangled the spelling of something like that other guy, but it turns out I am just ignorant. Wow, thanks for the new word!

What forum app is this?

Edit: derp. Nevermind.

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

If you're having problems you're either holding the phone wrong or you have tiny girl hands.

rigeek posted:

What forum app is this?

Awful for IOS

rotaryfun
Jun 30, 2008

you can be my wingman anytime
*nevermind

rigeek
Jun 12, 2006

rotaryfun posted:

*nevermind

Derp. Last time I used the app it was iPhone only. Wow that app is slick.

randyest
Sep 1, 2004

by R. Guyovich

rigeek posted:

Derp. Last time I used the app it was iPhone only. Wow that app is slick.
Yes it is indeed the poo poo but it doesn't get credit for the dictionary -- that's a built in system wide thing. I think Awful Betamax for android is supposed to be similar (but not the original android awful appl which is, well, awful.)

Mister Fister
May 17, 2008

KILL-GORE

(and counting!)
Now for some levity, a rather hilarious comparison of google search vs siri:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=grmixtB9dZM&t=195s

Dodoman
Feb 26, 2009

A moment of laxity
A lifetime of regret
Lipstick Apathy
"If you like, I can search the web for pictures of stallions" :haw:

rigeek
Jun 12, 2006

randyest posted:

Yes it is indeed the poo poo but it doesn't get credit for the dictionary -- that's a built in system wide thing. I think Awful Betamax for android is supposed to be similar (but not the original android awful appl which is, well, awful.)

Yeah I knew about the system-wide dictionary... had just been a while since I had loaded the Awful app on iPad. I had been using Tapatalk for other forums, but this Awful app is just plain badass. Goons rock.

Dodoman
Feb 26, 2009

A moment of laxity
A lifetime of regret
Lipstick Apathy

randyest posted:

Both Awful and Betamax for tablets have the same UI.

General_Failure
Apr 17, 2005

Nostalgia4Infinity posted:

Doesn't the anal elf ii have a resistive touch screen?

- resistive screen
- may corrupt your sd card
- "hilarious" name

"Buy, buy, buy!" - general_failure

Capacitative. I said it has a major issue and needs tweaks and that people should make their own choice. I also believe it has the most unfortunate name of any product ever and can't help think that there is some underpaid marketing person laughing their head off at it.

Although I'd prefer something with GPS and mobile network support they are pretty rare even in name brands except at really premium prices, and are usually smaller and called a "phone" whatever that is, or have a name starting with 'i'.

With all the Nexus talk above, I do have my concerns that it'll have a short life in its position, being pushed aside by a wave of more fully featured tablets. They could have extended its appeal so much with just a couple of minor tweaks, but perhaps that was by design. Get it right first time and who would buy another one?
Still don't get why they didn't give the Nexus 7 an SD card. Was it the licensing fee? Sure they could have cheaped out and gone SPI mode on an SD card slot, but that would have gained them a lot of criticism.

If people are wondering what I'm talking about, using a properly supported SD card slot carries a royalty. SPI mode bypasses the special protocol and talks to the card more directly but it is slower. All you really need to talk to an SD card like that is literally power, earth and a few IO lines. It's not hard. I've done it myself.
Such a shame too because I really like the Nexus 7. Spiffy tablet for money, even with the "Australia tax" to a degree.

butt dickus
Jul 7, 2007

top ten juiced up coaches
and the top ten juiced up players
Nexus devices will no longer have SD card slots. They expect you to use internal storage or cloud storage. The sooner people get over this, the better.

Mister Fister
May 17, 2008

KILL-GORE

(and counting!)

Doctor rear end in a top hat posted:

Nexus devices will no longer have SD card slots. They expect you to use internal storage or cloud storage. The sooner people get over this, the better.

I, for one, will never get over it :colbert:

I wouldn't mind it if they put 32 gigs or more of memory and that seems to be a sentiment of a lot of people. The 16 gigs on the galaxy nexus is just baffling.

I guess i can live with the 16 gigs on the nexus 7 since i won't put my music library on it.

General_Failure
Apr 17, 2005

Mister Fister posted:

I wouldn't mind it if they put 32 gigs or more of memory and that seems to be a sentiment of a lot of people. The 16 gigs on the galaxy nexus is just baffling.

I guess I can live with the 16 gigs on the nexus 7 since I won't put my music library on it.

I'll agree with what you said. A lot of people like using tablets when they are traveling which pretty much cuts out cloud storage. Beyond that about the only way to swap around what is stored internally is to drag a notebook along for the ride too.
how is that any more convenient than a microSD card?

Rastor
Jun 2, 2001

There was no removable storage slot in the Nexus S, none in the Galaxy Nexus, and none in the Nexus 7.

You can read the Android engineers' explanation here, but what it boils down to is:
Nexus devices will no longer have SD card slots. They expect you to use internal storage or cloud storage. It's the same on Apple's devices. The sooner people get over this, the better. Because your only choices are get over it, or don't get a Nexus.

Fatal
Jul 29, 2004

I'm gunna kill you BITCH!!!

General_Failure posted:

I'll agree with what you said. A lot of people like using tablets when they are traveling which pretty much cuts out cloud storage. Beyond that about the only way to swap around what is stored internally is to drag a notebook along for the ride too.
how is that any more convenient than a microSD card?

Traveling with a tablet is a pretty normal occurrence. Traveling with a tablet for more than 2-3 hours a day? Extremely fringe to the point it doesn't matter. Not to mention that most people with "videos" aren't actually buying their content so to cater to :filez: is a waste of money.

Fatal fucked around with this message at 22:38 on Jul 16, 2012

IT Guy
Jan 12, 2010

You people drink like you don't want to live!

Syrinxx posted:

God drat, how many times did she mention the iPad? In a loving video about the Infinity.

averox
Feb 28, 2005

:dukedog:
Fun Shoe

Syrinxx posted:

this lady thinks Asus is pronounced "Uh-soos"

According the the Tech Report podcast Asus is apparently pronounced Uh-soos... As in pegasus. Some rep or something from Asus told them how to properly pronounce it. I still pronounce it A-soos.

Turnquiet
Oct 24, 2002

My friend is an eloquent speaker.

Do we have a release date on the Nexus 7 yet? It is on sale locally, but I preordered. I haven't heard a word from Google. Am I an outlier, or is this just the way it is?

Maker Of Shoes
Sep 4, 2006

AWWWW YISSSSSSSSSS
DIS IS MAH JAM!!!!!!

Turnquiet posted:

Do we have a release date on the Nexus 7 yet? It is on sale locally, but I preordered. I haven't heard a word from Google. Am I an outlier, or is this just the way it is?

Welcome to yet another botched Google launch.

Syrinxx
Mar 28, 2002

Death is whimsical today

Mister Fister posted:

This is exactly how I feel. Flash memory is cheap as gently caress and 8GB in the base Nexus 7 is quite frankly insulting, almost as insulting as the $50 it costs to get the additional 8GB which costs the manufacturer maybe $2-3. It's a huge markup on a cheap component and it comes straight from the Apple playbook.

averox posted:

According the the Tech Report podcast Asus is apparently pronounced Uh-soos... As in pegasus. Some rep or something from Asus told them how to properly pronounce it. I still pronounce it A-soos.
Tech report (and that cnet lady) would appear to be wrong, here is how you pronounce it: http://www.engadget.com/2010/12/17/how-to-pronounce-asus-video/

General_Failure
Apr 17, 2005

Fatal posted:

Traveling with a tablet is a pretty normal occurrence. Traveling with a tablet for more than 2-3 hours a day? Extremely fringe to the point it doesn't matter. Not to mention that most people with "videos" aren't actually buying their content so to cater to :filez: is a waste of money.

Oddly we are traveling about 4 hours today and the passengers will be using it for entertainment. And with good reason. There is nothing to look at the whole trip. One town, a few villages and a few scattered trees in amongst hundreds of square km of flat as a pancake farmland. I dread these trips.

And anyway it's not just the commute but the destination. It's not unheard of that people go away from home for more than a few hours. "Free" Wi-Fi is a joke (I don't blame the retailers for that), and mobile data costs are far too high to warrant copying anything from the cloud.
The argument could rightly be made that these people are not within the target demographic, but at the same time an SD card slot could expand that demographic massively. Or really even 32Gb internal.

Also, that's a great point about the :filez: situation. But on the rare occasion that what I want is available for purchase (see Sony's stranglehold on online movies in Australia) I will. It's the Amazon situation again. They don't want our money for some reason.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

Maker Of Shoes posted:

Welcome to yet another botched Google launch.

Pretty much. If you preordered, it is arriving in a nebulous "sometime."

I preordered on the 27th (16gb) and mine is arriving tomorrow, as is one of my friends who preordered two 8gb models on the 28th. However, I know someone who preordered before me on the 27th and he's heard nothing yet. No shipment email, no charge, no tracking number. He did order a case as well. I did not. So it's possible the cases are holding up shipping. It's anyone's guess at this point though.

However, retail availability is pretty much shot at this point. Anyone who had any either used it to fill preorders for that store or they are completely sold out already. Gamestop went through their first two waves of shipments and aren't expecting any more until August.

rock2much
Feb 6, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Is anyone planning on getting a non-official case? The wooden one from skintomi looked nice but it only covers the back: http://www.amazon.com/Skinomi-TechS...od+nexus+7+case

General_Failure
Apr 17, 2005

rock2much posted:

Is anyone planning on getting a non-official case? The wooden one from skintomi looked nice but it only covers the back: http://www.amazon.com/Skinomi-TechS...od+nexus+7+case

What is that? Silicon? No wait. 0.1mm thickness? That's thinner than the sheetmetal on a Nissan! Scroll down a bit and it says it's a film and not a case. Pretty much a woodgrain screen protector.

Radbot
Aug 12, 2009
Probation
Can't post for 3 years!

Syrinxx posted:

This is exactly how I feel. Flash memory is cheap as gently caress and 8GB in the base Nexus 7 is quite frankly insulting, almost as insulting as the $50 it costs to get the additional 8GB which costs the manufacturer maybe $2-3. It's a huge markup on a cheap component and it comes straight from the Apple playbook.
[/url]

Which would seem to be a pretty drat good playbook to be cribbing off of. If you're a supernerd, you can always install that app that allows you to connect USB thumb drives. Goddamn, it's 199 freaking dollars!

ElProducto
Oct 9, 2001
if you want to live low, live low

bull3964 posted:

However, retail availability is pretty much shot at this point. Anyone who had any either used it to fill preorders for that store or they are completely sold out already. Gamestop went through their first two waves of shipments and aren't expecting any more until August.

I thought so too but I was able to just walk into a Staples and take one home. It might help that I don't live in a super populated area. Still, I almost feel bad that I have one and so many people who preordered don't.

Tunga
May 7, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Radbot posted:

Which would seem to be a pretty drat good playbook to be cribbing off of. If you're a supernerd, you can always install that app that allows you to connect USB thumb drives. Goddamn, it's 199 freaking dollars!

I was going to ask about that app (not in this thread but what the hell, since you mentioned it...), would it work with USB HDDs?

General_Failure
Apr 17, 2005

Radbot posted:

Not exactly leet haxxor territory there installing that but then your nexus will have a vulnerable appendage. $297 is the cheapest I've seen the 16gb here at EB. 8gb, hard to say but direct from Google seems to be $249. That bit extra for what it offers puts it on shaky ground for me, although the markup isn't as bad as a lot of others. I mean the TF101 is still selling for a lot more than that. Don't know how much it's dropped in the last month or so but last time I checked it was still painful. One place has it listed for $698. ouch. Good luck unloading that. Most places it's slightly cheaper.

So anyway... Australia = :(

Moving on, yes the nexus 7 offers relatively good value but that is still relative. most of the tablet market is a wallet rape-fest here.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

potentiometer
Dec 31, 2006

letsgoflyers81 posted:

What home screen layout does Nova Launcher use on the Nexus 7 in landscape? Is it the same phone-ish layout as the sock launcher, or does it switch to the HC/ICS tablet layout? I know people have gotten the tablet layout by changing the screen's DPI, but I'd rather not do that unless I have to.

Not exactly sure if i've seen the tablet layout in landscape unless you mean what i'm seeing now. When I switch to landscape in Nova Prime the search bar turns into a magnifying glass icon on the left side of the screen and the dock moves to the right side in a vertical format, the rest of the screen icons, folders, ect just stretchs out. I tried to get a couple screen shots up but imgur won't play nice with me.