Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Pleads
Jun 9, 2005

pew pew pew

:siren: Eagle River registration is live:
https://www.facebook.com/events/409869212373300/
http://www.usahockey.com/uploadedFi...ketWritable.pdf

If there isn't at least one other goon team there we will be disappointed!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

I think it'd be cool to go, but everyone says the people who play there are loving badass, I don't have a team, and worst of all I am a poo poo skater. When hockey players started using the term "pylon", it was me they were talking about.

Hockles
Dec 25, 2007

Resident of Camp Blood
Crystal Lake

xzzy posted:

I think it'd be cool to go, but everyone says the people who play there are loving badass, I don't have a team, and worst of all I am a poo poo skater. When hockey players started using the term "pylon", it was me they were talking about.

That's what the Novice or Beginner levels are for. We are hopefully going to be in Novice.

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

xzzy posted:

You are missing the entire point of pond hockey.

Pleads
Jun 9, 2005

pew pew pew

Technically our team is going for sellouts' bachelor party!

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

It looks several orders of magnitude more depressing when I see it written on an internet forum like that, especially when none of the people going to the tournament will be going to the wedding

Pleads
Jun 9, 2005

pew pew pew

Well, it's better than it not being tagged as your bachelor party and thus you not coming at all.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

sellouts posted:

You are missing the entire point of pond hockey.

I "get" pond hockey, the thing is I don't know if eagle river attendees see it the way I do.

Nor do I have a team, which is probably the biggest limitation.

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

As an Eagle River attendee I can tell you that people don't see it the way you do. They're not worried about their skills or being a pylon. They're there having a good time and drinking. When you sit in the warming tents changing you're sitting next to guys that you have no idea what skill level they are and it doesn't matter. No one is sizing anyone up. No one is taking notes about who is good and who is bad.

We hated losing all 3 games so much that we're going back again.

Last year the team I took to Eagle River was filled with people who had never met before, yet less played together. We were in the over 21 league (there's an over 30 league too) but our average age was I believe 41. We had players who weighed 250+, we had players who learned to play as adults, we had players who never skated outdoors in their life. Of course people were bad rear end compared to us. We had completely the wrong approach, the wrong skill set and were in the wrong division. We practiced everything that doesn't matter on Thursday night's ice time.

All I'm saying is that if you don't have a team, that's a bummer, but put one together. It takes years to find the people to do it. It took me 3 times before I was able to get people to commit and show up. Don't be worried about how much you suck. There's a division for you. For most winning doesn't matter, it's the stories and beer people come for.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Oh well then I'm doubly hosed because I don't drink. :v:

Some of the dudes I skate with already have a team together and are going, maybe I'll see about tagging along.

Bradf0rd
Jun 16, 2008

Agent of Chaos

sellouts posted:

...none of the people going to the tournament will be going to the wedding

:saddowns:

Pleads
Jun 9, 2005

pew pew pew

We didn't even receive invites so I don't see how he's pegging that on us :mad:

Funkutron5000
Jan 21, 2010
I live in Minneapolis so I feel like I have no excuse to not play in this drat pond hockey thing. Now, to see if I can scrounge together a team.

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

xzzy posted:

Oh well then I'm doubly hosed because I don't drink. :v:

Some of the dudes I skate with already have a team together and are going, maybe I'll see about tagging along.

Neither do I. It doesn't matter and you'll need a DD anyways. Teammates are stoked because they have my share of the beer.

Funkutron5000 posted:

I live in Minneapolis so I feel like I have no excuse to not play in this drat pond hockey thing. Now, to see if I can scrounge together a team.

I would sign up today. The fax line has been jammed non stop, the website crashed this morning, and people can email in apps. I'd send it in today and give your spot to a wait list if you can't get a team together.

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

Actually don't bother. This year most divisions sold out in under 30 minutes and we were locked out.

Fax machine was busy non stop, so I printed and scanned, emailed at 935am, and sold out / wait listed.

AAB
Nov 5, 2010

Thufir posted:

If you've been taking skating classes and practicing shooting than you will probably be better than most people in the class. You will also probably be way more awful than you expected.

TRIP REPORT!!!

Get to my class and had signed up for "Hockey 1" thinking that would be the right level. Got bumped up to "Hockey 3" with the big kids (read: 11-16 yr olds) because I can mostly skate. :3: Anyways, worked on stick work and some passing stuff. Holy crap is tracking a puck harder than I thought. Much harder. So pumped for my next lesson.

Today was my first Stick-n-shoot and I had such a fun time. Still getting used to skating in all the gear but it's not so bad. My passing is ok at best. Recieving a puck, while moving AND figuring out what you're gonna do with it was certainly something else with 8 upper tier players skating around. I did manage to get a garbage goal while sitting in front of the net during our scrimmage!

tl;dr hockey is hard, you guys. but holy poo poo is it fun.

sellouts posted:

Actually don't bother. This year most divisions sold out in under 30 minutes and we were locked out.

Fax machine was busy non stop, so I printed and scanned, emailed at 935am, and sold out / wait listed.

Goon teams for next year are filling up fast :v:

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

Bleh, had some fatass 2-hand tomahawk my stick last night after I lifted his and stole the puck away. Thankfully it didn't break, but geeze, what a dick move.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Goddamn is there anything worse than getting a new stick in and not being able to be on ice for two days?

I gotta see how it feels, man! :negative:

Teeter
Jul 21, 2005

Hey guys! I'm having a good time, what about you?

I'm glad you guys are right about the whole adults getting in to hockey thing. I've been out at the rink often enough to sniff out the people who were my age and similarly bad so I was able to introduce myself and take solace in knowing that there's a group of us working on this together. It was good to have those familiar faces around when my beginner skating class rolled around so that I didn't feel so awkward. There's probably a good 10-15 adults in the class, many of whom are much older though probably only 4 of us that have hockey as the end goal.

There's a lot more I need to practice but all in all I'm ecstatic with my results so far. I'm still a far cry away from a being a good skater, but I'm a significantly better one than when I started and that's enough to feel great about. I'm decent at skating backwards, can transition well in both directions, have figured out forward and backwards crossovers, can hockey stop in one direction, and almost have it down in the other. It goes without saying that I'm mediocre at best with all of these skills but every time I leave the rink I feel like I've accomplished something. Shouldn't be too long until I can try doing it all with a stick in my hands!

Teeter fucked around with this message at 05:01 on Jul 17, 2012

Verman
Jul 4, 2005
Third time is a charm right?
Played a hard game tonight and forced our team to look at a new strategy. I will be moving from winger to D since I play fairly defensively as is and have more comfort with the puck than one of the guys currently playing D. He tends to pinch the puck too often rather than staying with his guy, has a hard time getting passes out of the zone, and lacks a good hard shot from the point. I think we're going to end up putting him as a forward in front of the net to try and cause some screened/scrap goals.

I'm pretty comfortable going back to D and it will be interesting setting plays up more than putting the puck in the net, but it should be fun to see how things go.

I also noticed that I whiffed on about 10 scoring chances. The goalie that we were up against was pretty impressive. Small guy, went down a lot but had a ridiculously fast glove and overall reactions. It was about half way through the game when we started screening him and were able to tie the game, but then our D unraveled and let a few too many guys have odd man breaks at our goalie.

Uh, some of those games are so close then slip away.

Loqieu
Feb 27, 2001

Has anyone participated in one of the Can/Am tournaments? http://www.canamhockey.com/

Seeing as how the Labatt pond hockey stuff sells out in apparently 15 minutes, I started looking at other options. Only reason I know about this is a guy I met at a bar recommended it, which is always a good start for hockey. A weekend in Vegas or AC with a tournament sounds good to me. They also have a pond hockey tournament too. I have no clue what Double or Triple means for their player sign-up though.

shyduck
Oct 3, 2003

I did a Can/Am tournament years ago when I played travel up in Lake Placid, and my uncle has played in a few adult league Can/Am camps. They're pretty good organizers.

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

I've heard the canam in Vegas is pretty much the best time you'll ever legally have. I would love to get my team to sign up.

Pleads
Jun 9, 2005

pew pew pew

Our broken hearted bunch of Wisconsin rejects is turning our sights towards New York. Sellouts, hop in IRC when you get on tomorrow.

D C
Jun 20, 2004

1-800-HOTLINEBLING
1-800-HOTLINEBLING
1-800-HOTLINEBLING
I wanna play pond hockey :smith:

Doctor Butts
May 21, 2002

Teeter posted:

I'm glad you guys are right about the whole adults getting in to hockey thing. I've been out at the rink often enough to sniff out the people who were my age and similarly bad so I was able to introduce myself and take solace in knowing that there's a group of us working on this together. It was good to have those familiar faces around when my beginner skating class rolled around so that I didn't feel so awkward. There's probably a good 10-15 adults in the class, many of whom are much older though probably only 4 of us that have hockey as the end goal.

In my beginning skating classes, I was the only person with that as the end goal. It could be there are other wannabe learn to players out there, but maybe they were at different rinks/diff days. In any case, the guys I talked to at my floor hockey games maybe one was interested in getting back into Ice, but not necessarily learn to play. Another guy who did floor hockey actually runs the hockey north america thing around here though.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

So.. what's the deal with power turns?

I ask because my instructor said that the inside foot is really only used for balance, and almost all of the body's weight should be on the outside foot. However, vast numbers of skaters seem to throw up snow with their inside skate when doing these turns which says to me they're splitting weight between the feet evenly.

Doing various internet search seems to agree with the "even distribution of weight", eg:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K0P_gpW8Vmc

I guess the easy answer is "my instructor is an idiot" but he's played college level hockey and at least looks like a pretty good skater so I'm not really sure how to reconcile what he's saying with what everyone else is saying.

It's an issue to me because if I turn like he says, I'm doing fine on technique. But if he's wrong, I'm not putting anywhere near enough weight on the inside foot and am concerned it's robbing me of speed or whatever.

Verman
Jul 4, 2005
Third time is a charm right?

xzzy posted:

So.. what's the deal with power turns?

I ask because my instructor said that the inside foot is really only used for balance, and almost all of the body's weight should be on the outside foot. However, vast numbers of skaters seem to throw up snow with their inside skate when doing these turns which says to me they're splitting weight between the feet evenly.

Doing various internet search seems to agree with the "even distribution of weight", eg:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K0P_gpW8Vmc

I guess the easy answer is "my instructor is an idiot" but he's played college level hockey and at least looks like a pretty good skater so I'm not really sure how to reconcile what he's saying with what everyone else is saying.

It's an issue to me because if I turn like he says, I'm doing fine on technique. But if he's wrong, I'm not putting anywhere near enough weight on the inside foot and am concerned it's robbing me of speed or whatever.

From a physics standpoint, it would make more sense to evenly distribute your weight as much as possible rather than putting all your weight on your outside edge because if you catch a rut in the ice, or get bumped by a playerwhile all your weight is on the outside edge, you will lose your balance just end up on your back.

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

That just looks like... a regular turn to me. I dunno, I think I have an even distribution of weight on both skates, if not more on the outside edge of the inside skate. I don't even think about it, to be honest. This was literally the first thing that was taught at my LTP class when they were going over skating 101.

Just put your inside foot slightly ahead of the other and let it rip. Don't worry about if you're kicking up snow. You will as you get practice and can do it with more speed. I'm pretty sure you're over-thinking this.

The only time you should be wondering about kicking up snow is when you purposely spray the goalie, or a dickhead teammate stretching on the ice during warmups.

Funkutron5000
Jan 21, 2010
After 3 years my rbk 7k is finally dead. Anyone have any favorite places to buy sticks from that won't set me back $200?

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

I'm not concerned about producing snow. I'm just curious what it says about how other players skate, and whether there's any information there I can apply to my own skating.

I am unapologetically a sperg about technique.. there's a lot of summer clinics going on lately and I time my lunch breaks so I can sit and watch them. I mostly pay attention to the coaches because there's a lot to see if you study them.

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

You should join one of the summer clinics!

But seriously, spray goalies and teammates.

Bradf0rd
Jun 16, 2008

Agent of Chaos

Henrik Zetterberg posted:

But seriously, spray goalies...

No don't. Well, do it if you want to find out just how hard a goal stick or a blocker is.

Also, instead of Eagle River we're going to Lake Placid. You all should also sign up.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Henrik Zetterberg posted:

You should join one of the summer clinics!

But seriously, spray goalies and teammates.

I considered it, but all the ones I could find in my area are for under 18. I am approximately 17 years too old for that.

I'm content with my placement, I'm seeing improvement every week and I think by the end of the year I'll be at the point where I can start getting involved with the local beer league.. which should double or triple the ice time I get and hopefully comes with a comparable increase in learning.

Doctor Butts
May 21, 2002

Bradf0rd posted:

No don't.

Do it. The goalies always need practice at perfecting their 'push screener's skate heel with stick so he falls backwards' and 'oops did you see that the silly dude tripped over my stick!' techniques.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

I'm up in the air on spraying goalies.

I mean, on one hand, I want them to enjoy being in net and stop all the pucks I fail to stop, but on the other, there's this one fucker I skate with who's constantly "poke checking" my skate blades even if the puck is nowhere near me. I keep warning him that if I fall it's his head that's getting crushed under my enormous rear end, but he just laughs like I'm joking.

So it has me thinking goalies are just dicks and I should stop acting like they're my friend.

Pleads
Jun 9, 2005

pew pew pew

Hello Goons!

A group of us are putting together a team for the CAN/AM pond hockey tournament in Lake Placid, New York, on the weekend of January 25th-27th. While our team roster is full, we were hoping some other hockey playing goons would be able to cobble together a team or two as well. Our team is planning to rent a fairly large cottage which, while only accomodating our group for sleeping, would be a :kickingrad: place for a party. If only we had other people to invite...

TO THAT END, here's an introduction to the 2013 CAN/AM Lake Placid Pond Hockey Tournament!

The Place
Lake Placid, New York, USA / (Mirror Lake)

middle of nowhere, NY

Lake Placid is best known for the titular movie franchise, Lake Placid, which chronicles the horrific events of a man-eating crocodile being set lose in the lake. The story follows a group of yo-oh.

Lake Placid is best known for the 1980 "Miracle On Ice", where the USA's men's Olympic hockey team struck down the red menace (and heavy favourite) Soviet Union on the way to capturing their second, and most recent, Olympic Men's Hockey Gold Medal. I'm pretty sure they didn't play on Mirror Lake, where the 2013 tournament will be held, but it's close enough! Our team will also be investigating some private ice time at the Olympic Centre, where the actual Gold Medal game was held, so we can all practice our celebration in the inevitable event that we have to stomp Communism again.

The city itself is 2-3 hours north of Albany, New York, and about 2 hours south of the Canadian border with Quebec. It's in the middle of a bunch of protected parks so the air will be crisp and the civilization minimal, as Lake Placid the town only has about 2000 people. It's a major tourist destination, however, due to the parks and lakes and the Olympic facilities.

The Cost
Probably the most important part!

maybe the actual tournament? i don't know. sled dogs optional

Costs are outlined here for the tournament itself. It's $190 base registration, per player, for a team of 6 (with a team deposit of $500 required up front). However, the CAN/AM organizers have a pretty decent deal with two hotels in the area that allows you to bunk with one or two teammates at one of their two hotels. Silver package folks pay an extra $115 (3 per room) or $155 (2 per room) and receive 3 nights at the Northwoods Inn, while Gold package folks pay an extra $205 (3 per room) or $255 (2 per room) for 3 nights at the Golden Arrow Resort which backs right onto Mirror Lake.

Check this out: http://goo.gl/maps/NEcV
You can fall out of bed, walk down the hall with your skates on, and step onto the lake to go play hockey.

Flights into the area, if you're American and not within reasonable driving distance, generally run $350-$500 round trip. International players add an indeterminate butt-rape charge from all major airlines. Check around for deals, stuff like https://www.expedia.com and stuff can get you there fairly reasonably! Look at flying into New York, New York, or Albany, New York, or Saranac Lake if you're fancy. Watertown is also an option apparently, that's about 2 hours West.

If you're like us, and the hotel deal is nice but you want to crash together so you can be drunk and loud without housekeeping getting annoyed, there are a crapload of rental homes available in town. https://www.vrbo.com is apparently a website for them, take a look and see if there's something better for you than 2 or 3 to a hotel room. It's generally more pricey, but likely lends to a better team experience. Also keep in mind you'll need space to air out your gear!

The Other Stuff
Stuff to do the other 22 hours of the day
  • Hike
  • Ice fish
  • Check out the Olympic museums
  • Check out the Olympic facilities (you can try ski jumping, bobsleigh, and skeleton at the appropriate spots! they don't even look to be that expensive)
  • Party with us! Like I said, assuming our plans work out we'll have a sweet cottage to ourselves with a good amount of amenities to host people. Details are still in the works with that, but either way we would love to meet up with any other Goons who come.
  • We also plan to reserve some ice time in the area, on the Olympic ice if possible, and we would love to invite any other Goons to take part (and share in the cost). If we have enough people, we have a goalie or two who might be willing to bring pads so we don't have to shoot on empty nets.
  • Probably more!

So there you go. You now have notice that this exists, and if you're interested in pond hockey, there's no better tournament to go to*. If you have any questions, we might be able to help as we've been doing our research.

*That you will get in to, probably...

shyduck
Oct 3, 2003

Lake Placid is a gorgeous town and I'm jealous that I won't be able to go to this one (military-related stuff). Maybe 2014, because that's an awesome trip.

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

None of these people are going to this tournament because none of these people are as insane as we are, but great post Pleads. I'm excited.

It would be fun to get an actual game going on real ice though, tournament aside.

Also this tournament doesn't do brackets by skill but rather by age. Which means we're going to get loving clobbered. Oh well!

Oh and in this tournament you get an additional game (4) vs the 3 in USA Hockey / Eagle River.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

poser
Jun 9, 2002

Are they booing the power play?

I was saying Boo-urns!

Thufir posted:

The team I subbed for tonight gave me #69 to wear. I felt like such a douche.

There is a team in one of my leagues that goes by Dunder Mifflin. They have jerseys with "Temp" on the back for the subs.