Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer

mindphlux posted:

yeah, I was gonna ask this too and had typed out a reply but then just decided to close the window.

as far as I know, sous vide supreme doesn't actually circulate the water - do you really want to go from having a real circulator to a tepid puddle bath?

Well thats really why I haven't done it yet. With a sv supreme, I'd have a countertop appliance, not a giant piece of lab gear. I think I would use it more. I could always keep the big one around for long cook stuff. Most things don't need the degree of precision offered by a real ic.

I only ever use the ic in the tub I got with it. Most of my pots either aren't deep enough or wide enough for it to be useful. It has a giant cage around the working parts that is optional, but I've never taken it off. It would make it a lot smaller I suppose, but I'm worried about doing that then clogging the intake line or something.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

taqueso
Mar 8, 2004

:911:
:wookie: :thermidor: :wookie:
:dehumanize:

:pirate::hf::tinfoil:

Fatal posted:

Don't know if you're interested in "beta testing" a product but the Nomiku seems to be an alternative, it's on kickstarter and doesn't ship till december... http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/nomiku/nomiku-bring-sous-vide-into-your-kitchen

I decided to pledge for this thing, hope it actually works.

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

HA! HA! NICE! WHAT A TOOL!

Flash Gordon Ramsay posted:

Well thats really why I haven't done it yet. With a sv supreme, I'd have a countertop appliance, not a giant piece of lab gear. I think I would use it more. I could always keep the big one around for long cook stuff. Most things don't need the degree of precision offered by a real ic.

I only ever use the ic in the tub I got with it. Most of my pots either aren't deep enough or wide enough for it to be useful. It has a giant cage around the working parts that is optional, but I've never taken it off. It would make it a lot smaller I suppose, but I'm worried about doing that then clogging the intake line or something.
Just for those who might buy this is a different model from polyscience pro - the polyscience pro should fit fine in basically any stock pot

mindphlux
Jan 8, 2004

by R. Guyovich

well, just in my mind anyways, the sv supreme seems really expensive for what it is. I've been doing tepid puddle just using a large pot of water and checking temps every 5-10 mins while I cook - or for longer term, been heating a pot of water to desired temp and then throwing it in my oven set at whatever degree (it goes down to 100F thankfully) - and hoping for the best.

maybe it's just my envy speaking, but you should totally just keep your ic and ball out, or forgo the fancy electronics altogether and do it manual-style. who wants a giant breadmaker sized crockpot thing sitting on their counter anyways. :(

Chef De Cuisinart
Oct 31, 2010

Brandy does in fact, in my experience, contribute to Getting Down.
I don't know if anyone had considered this, but we sv our short ribs at work in a hotbox. Set hotbox to 160F, toss vac bagged ribs into rondeaux with water, finished in 24 hours.

Our GM is too much of a cheap bastard to let us buy a nice temp bath =/

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

Chef De Cuisinart posted:

I don't know if anyone had considered this, but we sv our short ribs at work in a hotbox. Set hotbox to 160F, toss vac bagged ribs into rondeaux with water, finished in 24 hours.

Our GM is too much of a cheap bastard to let us buy a nice temp bath =/
This is fine I guess but are 160 degree short ribs actually any better than normal braised ones? 160 degrees is a well-done steak.

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer
I cook mine at 131.5 for 48 hours. They're pretty much a perfect medium rare.

Chef De Cuisinart
Oct 31, 2010

No Wave posted:

This is fine I guess but are 160 degree short ribs actually any better than normal braised ones? 160 degrees is a well-done steak.

They definitely turn out better than braising. As far as temp, 160F is as low as our hotbox elements go.

.Z.
Jan 12, 2008

Why is there such a large price difference between the Nomiku and a PolySci?

Difference in reliability of components? Temperature accuracy?

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

.Z. posted:

Why is there such a large price difference between the Nomiku and a PolySci?

Difference in reliability of components? Temperature accuracy?
You can't really say. Polyscience is probably charging more over cost (due to their distro model), but I will say looking at pictures of the Nomiku there's no way that it's as sturdy as the Poly Pro. The Poly Pro is probably more accurate, and can heat up more water, but the accuracy doesn't matter for any cook and the volume shouldn't matter for a home cook.

I just find for a notoriously finnicky piece of equipment, I'd rather pay 50-70% extra for the unit available now that's universally praised. It'll take a while before we know if there are any problems with the Nomiku. And it looks silly.

But I'm not a normal home cook and I kind of fetishize toughness and weight on my kitchen equipment.

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer
I think the Nomiku looks pretty cool, and if it works as advertised, I will probably get one.

Anyway, here's the model I have. In the pictures in the cambro tank, you can see how much space is taken by the IC, and just how huge the whole setup is. The science geek in me is more or less over the cool factor of the giant rig on my kitchen counter, and now I long for something more space friendly and attractive.

wither
Jun 23, 2004

I have a turn both for observation and for deduction.
So I'm looking at getting a new set of pots and pans. I right now got the cheapo entry level Cuisinart 7 piece from Amazon. It's pretty okay but it's a bitch to clean compared to non-stick which is what I grew up using. I basically need a pretty fresh brillo pad to clean up anything, especially if i sautee meat in there. I'm used to being able to just wipe down with a standard sponge and be fine. Is it because the quality of this set is crappy, or is that just the nature of stainless steel. I.e., even if I were using All-clad, would I still have to exert more force and use a coarser pad to clean it? Eggs also seem to be a huge culprit, and its annoying since I like clean pans and I also like eggs. I can get the pans pretty clean after four or five minutes of scrubbing down each one, but the bottoms seem to have this gold color I can't get off. Would barkeepers friend remove this?

Anyway, I'm looking at getting a new set. Goon recommended MCP-7 seems tempting. But, this T-fal seems to be pretty heavily vetted for on amazon. I don't mind spending the extra money if the MCP-7 is better, but I don't just want to spend money on a brand name. Does anyone have any experience with this line? It's also oven-safe so that's pretty handy as well. Can anyone vet for the MCP lines being oven safe too?

Edit: Also, I'm curious about the situation with non-stick these days. I know it was generally looked down upon because of potential teflon poisoning and all, but now there are teflon-free non-stick pans, right? Are they still crappy since they don't distribute heat that well? People just use them for omelets?

wither fucked around with this message at 01:42 on Jul 18, 2012

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat
All stainless takes a little effort to clean compared to nonstick. Your set looks fine.

A sponge with a green scrubbing side should do fine on them. They don't have to have every single stain OCD clean, just clean enough.

You can supplement your set with a nonstick pan. T-Fal is good, just don't ever use the abrasive side of a sponge on them, they will lose their nonstick property quicker.

All non-PTFE nonstick pans are inferior compared to your typical Teflon pans, according to Cook's Illustrated. Quality of teflon pans has improved in recent times. As long as you don't use high heat or leave the pan empty for long they're perfectly safe.

Steve Yun fucked around with this message at 03:53 on Jul 18, 2012

PRADA SLUT
Mar 14, 2006

Inexperienced,
heartless,
but even so
I have the Cuisinart Multiclad Pro set and it rocks sack like an immersion circulator that keeps switching to reverse while my balls are dangling in the pot. The MCP's keep them so evenly heated that I could bang Paula Deen and she would ejaculate butter.

Doh004
Apr 22, 2007

Mmmmm Donuts...

PRADA SLUT posted:

I have the Cuisinart Multiclad Pro set and it rocks sack like an immersion circulator that keeps switching to reverse while my balls are dangling in the pot. The MCP's keep them so evenly heated that I could bang Paula Deen and she would ejaculate butter.

This makes perfect sense.

But really, get the Cuisinart MCP. It's awesome and I absolutely love it.

wither
Jun 23, 2004

I have a turn both for observation and for deduction.
Has anyone used the copper-based T-fal as well as the MCP extensively who could give a comparison between the quality of the two? Also the MCP versus All-clad and Calphalon?

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat
Without having used either, I can safely assume the MCP will be superior to the copper bottom T-Fals, because its aluminum layer goes around the whole pot and not just the bottom. Disc bottom pans tend to have a major heat difference where the disc ends, and this is where a lot of your burned sauces/stews will happen if you're not being diligent about mixing or watching the heat. Basically you can screw up a little and be lazy with aluminum core cookware and not have to worry as much about burning food.

The MCP's have been used by many on the forums, everyone who has one likes them a lot and the 12 piece set typically goes for $200 at Costco, and even goes on sale every now and then for $150.

I personally got the Calphalon tri-ply set because I wanted glass lids, but if that doesn't matter to you, the MCP is a much better deal.

Cook's Illustrated did tests with stainless steel cookware where they put sheets of paper or pieces of solder in different skillets and measured how even the heating was. They found that the All-Clad was the most even, but after seeing the patterns of browning on the paper I decided that the difference wasn't extreme enough for me to shell out the extra money for the All-Clads. The Cuisinart MCPs came out after CI's tests, but as I mentioned several people have bought them and were pretty happy with them.

Personally, I think your current set is good enough that you can hold onto them for a few months until Costco puts the MCP's on sale again.

Steve Yun fucked around with this message at 09:12 on Jul 18, 2012

nmfree
Aug 15, 2001

The Greater Goon: Breaking Hearts and Chains since 2006
If you've been thinking about getting a Thermapen but can't see paying full price the manufacturer currently has open box units on sale for $69 + $6 S/H. If I hadn't literally just purchased their RT600C yesterday I'd be all over this.

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

How does Circulon stuff rate on the Farberware/Cuisinart/Calphalon/All-Clad scale? As far as pots and pans, I only have an 8 qt tri-ply stock pot and 12" non-stick frying pan, both Calphalon. The 3 qt straining pan seems like it would be a good all-purpose small pot: http://home.woot.com/plus/circulon-contempo-red-cookware

I'm also considering this: http://www1.macys.com/shop/product/calphalon-contemporary-nonstick-pour-strain-saucepan-3.5-qt.?ID=571974

Josh Lyman fucked around with this message at 21:22 on Jul 24, 2012

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
Soiled Meat
I dunno about that Circulon, but I have that Calphalon and it works fine. I think I got it at Home Goods for $35. Go shop around TJ Maxx, Home Goods, Marshalls, etc.

I only use it for cheeses and pasta, most other cooking I do in stainless steel sauce pans. Since non-stick doesn't last forever I try to keep non-stick pan usage to a minimum.

Dirty Phil
Jul 3, 2012

I have actually used that exact pot, and I can say that in a house with rowdy careless roommates, it held up well. I like that type of non-stick a lot better than the typical Teflon-coated wares you normally see. It is also a good size and the handles/lid are nice.

ahmeni
May 1, 2005

It's one continuous form where hardware and software function in perfect unison, creating a new generation of iPhone that's better by any measure.
Grimey Drawer
The Circulon nonstick has a high and low layer so the high layer will take the brunt of your metallic mistakes. It's good, cheap nonstick and I love the hell out of my Circulon Commercial 20cm pan for eggs. The Infinite Circulon range is also great for cheap nonstick that's induction capable.

They're also the same company that does Analon. Analon Advanced pans/knives are decent if you can get them cheap but avoid the Analon Basic anything as they're poo poo.

It's also all made in Thailand, which means absolutely nothing other than its not made in China.

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

Steve Yun posted:

I dunno about that Circulon, but I have that Calphalon and it works fine. I think I got it at Home Goods for $35. Go shop around TJ Maxx, Home Goods, Marshalls, etc.
Good point. Never trust Macy's, even when they have something on "sale".

quote:

I only use it for cheeses and pasta, most other cooking I do in stainless steel sauce pans. Since non-stick doesn't last forever I try to keep non-stick pan usage to a minimum.
So general consensus is that aside from a large frying/omelet pan, everything else should be stainless?

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
Soiled Meat
One nonstick skillet, maybe one nonstick saucepan and you're good. The rest should be stainless. And maybe a cast iron skillet.

modig
Aug 20, 2002
I wouldn't buy any stainless or cast iron pans. Non-stick is the way to go for all time. All I know is every time my wife uses the stainless pan it is a pain in the rear end to clean.

Chef De Cuisinart
Oct 31, 2010

If your stainless pans are hard to clean, l2deglaze.

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer

modig posted:

I wouldn't buy any stainless or cast iron pans. Non-stick is the way to go for all time. All I know is every time my wife uses the stainless pan it is a pain in the rear end to clean.

You are cooking wrong.

Chef De Cuisinart
Oct 31, 2010

You are cooking wrong.

More specifically, his wife is. I mean, I caught my 13in stainless on fire (lolol sesame oil) and it only took me maybe 5min to scrub it back to shiny silver.

Knockknees
Dec 21, 2004

sprung out fully formed
Put some soap and water in the pot before all the crud dries on, jeez. It is not hard to wash a pot!

Phummus
Aug 4, 2006

If I get ten spare bucks, it's going for a 30-pack of Schlitz.
The cleaning method isn't the problem. The cooking method is the problem.

PRADA SLUT
Mar 14, 2006

Inexperienced,
heartless,
but even so
Are those square silicon pot handlers enough to handle a cast iron pan in a 500 degree oven, or should I pick up something else for it?

Aramoro
Jun 1, 2012

PRADA SLUT posted:

Are those square silicon pot handlers enough to handle a cast iron pan in a 500 degree oven, or should I pick up something else for it?

No probably not, not for very long anyway.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
Soiled Meat

PRADA SLUT posted:

IME, the most heat-resistant ones have both silicone and fabric. Oxo's oven mitts and pads for example.

CuddleChunks
Sep 18, 2004

PRADA SLUT posted:

I haven't had any trouble. Just move the cast iron to a heat resistant surface (stovetop) quickly and you'll be fine. Dawdling will result in a melty sensation in your hands.

Chef De Cuisinart
Oct 31, 2010

PRADA SLUT posted:

Use a towel, like the rest of us.

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Just make sure your wife hasn't just cleaned up some water with said towel without telling you.

Chef De Cuisinart
Oct 31, 2010

As an aside, I like to make fun of our bakers for using oven mits instead of towels.

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

It's total heresy I guess but has anyone used diamond swiss nonstick? I was cooking at someone else's house and I cooked two chickens under a brick in two pans and holy poo poo. No sticking, no nothing, beautiful golden brown. At first I was disappointed because I wanted to make a pan sauce but a.) I was already making a gravy from the bones and poo poo so I didn't really need it and b.) this meant that the flavor stayed on the chickens.

So I used to be all "non-stick sucks" but this really turned me around. It would probably kick rear end for fish cooked/basted whole as well. I mean there are a lot of sites that are dubious of this but drat it worked well. So I don't know, if I just use it for fragile proteins cooked whole it seems kind of useful. I know plenty of restaurants use non-stick oval pans for sole meuniere, for example.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
Soiled Meat
DuPont has a monopoly (edit: or maybe it's a duopoly with 3M?) on the teflon used in nonstick pans, but rather than just resting on their laurels they continue to come up with improved teflon formulations. Cheaper teflon pans use the older formulas, more expensive teflon pans use newer formulations. It's possible Swiss Diamond uses one of the newer formulas. Calphalon Unison pans also use one of the newer formulas and it's impressively slippery.

I don't think everyone's against nonstick, it's just that you have to take into account that they don't last forever so we advise against making big investments into nonstick sets.

Steve Yun fucked around with this message at 20:57 on Jul 25, 2012

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

Steve Yun posted:

DuPont has a monopoly on the teflon used in nonstick pans, but rather than just resting on their laurels they continue to come up with improved teflon formulations. Cheaper teflon pans use the older formulas, more expensive teflon pans use newer formulations. It's possible Swiss Diamond uses one of the newer formulas. Calphalon Unison pans also use one of the newer formulas and it's impressively slippery.

I don't think everyone's against nonstick, it's just that you have to take into account that they don't last forever so we advise against making big investments into nonstick sets.
Oh yeah - sets don't make sense.

Basically, nonstick is good for applications where you're not going to be tempted to use metal utensils, you won't need to deglaze, you won't need to get it super hot, and sticking is an issue. This is pretty much just large fragile proteins and eggs for me.

• Locked thread