Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
butt dickus
Jul 7, 2007

top ten juiced up coaches
and the top ten juiced up players

snowman posted:

Thanks! Works in the free version. Now I just have to figure out how to get rid of VZW's persistent wifi notification and it'll be golden.
Good luck with that unless you want to root. Maybe if enough people complain to Verizon they will push an upda…

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

poxin
Nov 16, 2003

Why yes... I am full of stars!

BoyBlunder posted:

Is there a Remote Desktop app that is preferred? Looking to run it on my N7. Hopefully something that can send basic commands to a terminal instead of me needing to constantly zoom in and out, etc.

I've used Splashtop and Remote Desktop Client before. Actually prefer "Remote Desktop Client" more than others.

Fcdts26
Mar 18, 2009
What do you guys recommend for a bill reminder/tracker app. It doesn't have to link to my accounts or anything like that. I'm coming from iOS and used billminder forever.

Maker Of Shoes
Sep 4, 2006

AWWWW YISSSSSSSSSS
DIS IS MAH JAM!!!!!!

Nask26 posted:

What do you guys recommend for a bill reminder/tracker app. It doesn't have to link to my accounts or anything like that. I'm coming from iOS and used billminder forever.

I just made a separate Google calendar for bills with various notifications for different ones.

rolleyes
Nov 16, 2006

Sometimes you have to roll the hard... two?

Thermopyle posted:

I haven't had it stick around, but that is a lovely thing.

It's not asking you to do anything, it's telling you can change something if you want to.

Whatever, different strokes and all that.

I'm kinda with him on this. Notifications should be about events which weren't triggered by the user. I'm not a big fan of music controls appearing in there either but at least that saves you having to task switch to your media player if you want to change tracks. I really don't see the need for what is basically just a user setting to be there constantly on the offchance you might want it; I mean if I'm in the text message app I might want to change the background colour but I don't expect the background colour user setting to hang around in the notification area whenever I'm texting.

Gyshall
Feb 24, 2009

Had a couple of drinks.
Saw a couple of things.
I was a fan of the longpress => Input method in gingerbread. My OCD goes nuts every time I look at my phone and see the little keyboard icon in the notification area.

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

...the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt. —Bertrand Russell

rolleyes posted:

I'm kinda with him on this. Notifications should be about events which weren't triggered by the user. I'm not a big fan of music controls appearing in there either but at least that saves you having to task switch to your media player if you want to change tracks. I really don't see the need for what is basically just a user setting to be there constantly on the offchance you might want it; I mean if I'm in the text message app I might want to change the background colour but I don't expect the background colour user setting to hang around in the notification area whenever I'm texting.

Right, I wasn't saying it's the best possible solution. Just saying that I can't see it as "terrible".

Gyshall posted:

My OCD goes nuts every time I look at my phone and see the little keyboard icon in the notification area.

There's something wrong if its there every time you look at your phone. It isn't even there when a text field is focused...only when the keyboard is onscreen.

Gyshall
Feb 24, 2009

Had a couple of drinks.
Saw a couple of things.
I keep the SMS app up most of the time. So if I go to check if I have an email or something, my eye is immediately drawn to the top left corner. Just annoying, since I've used my phone like this since Froyo or so.

Manky
Mar 20, 2007

Fun Shoe
Gods what I wouldn't give for Gmail controls in the notifications. My college insists on sending out endless emails and there's probably one out of twenty I don't want to delete on sight.

Jensen
Jun 4, 2006

rolleyes posted:

I think there is a subset of users who change keyboards often enough for this to be helpful. When a setting doesn't make sense to you, try and think outside your use case scenario.

Personally, I don't need it either.

Vykk.Draygo
Jan 17, 2004

I say salesmen and women of the world unite!

Jensen posted:

I think there is a subset of users who change keyboards often enough for this to be helpful. When a setting doesn't make sense to you, try and think outside your use case scenario.

Personally, I don't need it either.

On the other hand, this is such a niche group that frequently change their keyboard that it seems unnecessary for Google to implement it as standard. Make it optional, or an app or something. It doesn't bother me, but I can understand why it would bother some people.

IAmKale
Jun 7, 2007

やらないか

Fun Shoe

Manky posted:

Gods what I wouldn't give for Gmail controls in the notifications. My college insists on sending out endless emails and there's probably one out of twenty I don't want to delete on sight.
You could use rules and/or labels from within Gmail to tell those e-mails to skip the inbox. That'll probably help keep your notifications under control.

rolleyes
Nov 16, 2006

Vykk.Draygo posted:

On the other hand, this is such a niche group that frequently change their keyboard that it seems unnecessary for Google to implement it as standard. Make it optional, or an app or something. It doesn't bother me, but I can understand why it would bother some people.

Also if you need to change your keyboard frequently then you're going to have read up on how to do it, thus negating the "but people won't know how to change their keyboard" excuse for the 'notification'. The people who changed keyboards frequently would know all about the old long-press method. There's "making the OS intuitive" and then there's "catering for people who can't be arsed to read the manual". This is the latter of the two.

edit:
Entirely speculative, but I'm willing to bet most Android users don't know the keyboard can be changed, don't know what that notification does and would probably ask "Why would I want to change my keyboard? :confused:" if you explained it to them. Adding a notification to 'educate' people is stupid, especially when most people don't need to be educated as they don't need that feature. It's a bit like if Windows 7 brought up a tooltip with the accessibility options whenever you clicked into a text input field.

Nope.
VVV

rolleyes fucked around with this message at 23:31 on Jul 17, 2012

Grim Up North
Dec 12, 2011

Vykk.Draygo posted:

Make it optional, or an app or something. It doesn't bother me, but I can understand why it would bother some people.

At least on my CM9 build there's an option for the notification in the input settings. Isn't it there one in stock?

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

...the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt. —Bertrand Russell

I can't believe we're still talking about this notification.

rolleyes
Nov 16, 2006

Thermopyle posted:

I can't believe we're still talking about this notification.

But my sensibilities! Ok, I'll stop fuelling the derail.

ExcessBLarg!
Sep 1, 2001

rolleyes posted:

Notifications should be about events which weren't triggered by the user.
Android also has a history of persistent, "ongoing" notifications that are used, for example, to indicate to the user that a foreground service is active (and thus, not subject to being killed). Foreground services are definitely triggered by the user. So it's not just asynchronous notifications.

rolleyes posted:

I really don't see the need for what is basically just a user setting to be there constantly on the offchance you might want it;
I assume that the motivation for the "Select input method" "notification" is that some folks might be using an IME that doesn't actually show on-screen keyboard, like for bluetooth devices or some variant of speech-to-text or something. The problem is that in absence of both the notification and something on-screen, it might not be clear to the user when an IME is actually active or available for use.

I suppose it's somewhat redundant in the case of an on-screen keyboard, but as someone who changes keyboards somewhat frequently, and most often when a text box isn't on screen (that in GB you could long-press), I find it convenient.

Edit: Just to be clear, you can't long-press in a terminal to change the keyboard to something that's more useful than Swype in a terminal. That's why the notification is useful. But yeah, you should all be running CM9 where there's an option to disable it.

Syrinxx
Mar 28, 2002

Death is whimsical today

What's the goon preferred RSS reading app for 7" and 10" tablets?

IAmKale
Jun 7, 2007

やらないか

Fun Shoe

Syrinxx posted:

I just got my Nexus 7 today and have found Google Reader great for reading my feeds. The only downside might be that you have to have your feeds added into Reader.

Manky
Mar 20, 2007

Fun Shoe

Karthe posted:

You could use rules and/or labels from within Gmail to tell those e-mails to skip the inbox. That'll probably help keep your notifications under control.

That's actually a good suggestion - I'll have to start paying attention to find a reliable pattern to discriminate against. Thanks, I don't know why I didn't think of it.

stormrider
Sep 18, 2003

Absolut Awful
While downloading and installing Swype on my Nexus 7, I noticed this wording on the beta page: "Works alongside pre-installed Swype - Want to try out the Swype Beta but you have Swype preinstalled? Fret no more! The latest Swype Beta can be installed on all Android devices."

Sure enough, I was just able to install a new version of the Swype beta over the 2-year old pre-installed and never updated version on my Droid X.

I don't know if this is commonly known, and I've just been behind the times, but it is new to me. I know I've tried this in the past and it didn't allow it previously.

IAmKale
Jun 7, 2007

やらないか

Fun Shoe
What are some good split keyboards? Typing horizontally on the Nexus 7 isn't the most pleasant experience with all the reaching I have to do.

Napolean Bonerfarts
Dec 11, 2003

by Pragmatica

Karthe posted:

What are some good split keyboards? Typing horizontally on the Nexus 7 isn't the most pleasant experience with all the reaching I have to do.

Have you looked into Thumb Keyboard? It's ergonomically made specifically for...well... thumbs: https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.beansoft.keyboardplus

Maker Of Shoes
Sep 4, 2006

AWWWW YISSSSSSSSSS
DIS IS MAH JAM!!!!!!
Seconding Thumb, works great on larger devices.

Saliciouscrumb
Jan 15, 2002
Looks like Lightflow has been updated with JB compability. Hope this solves most of the issues we've been seeing.

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?
I've been trying out Brightness Manager for a few days, and it's mostly pretty great. However, it will occasionally dim the screen somewhat drastically without much of a change in the light conditions. If I go into the app from the notification, it puts the brightness back to whatever it was before (or close to it). What's going on here?

Manky
Mar 20, 2007

Fun Shoe

hooah posted:

I've been trying out Brightness Manager for a few days, and it's mostly pretty great. However, it will occasionally dim the screen somewhat drastically without much of a change in the light conditions. If I go into the app from the notification, it puts the brightness back to whatever it was before (or close to it). What's going on here?

Either BM's service has been killed or the Android built-in manager has taken over. You might want to check your system settings and see how long you have it set to dim when idle, that was my main source of trouble for a bit.

Yikes A Zombie!
Jul 18, 2003

BoyBlunder posted:

Is there a Remote Desktop app that is preferred? Looking to run it on my N7. Hopefully something that can send basic commands to a terminal instead of me needing to constantly zoom in and out, etc.

2xclient works well for me. I like it better than Pocket Cloud b/c you can save multiple connections without paying.

swickles
Aug 21, 2006

I guess that I don't need that though
Now you're just some QB that I used to know
I just got a Galaxy 3 today, after being on an iphone for 4 years. So far, I love everything about droid and will be keeping up on this thread. Awful app is way better, and in general everything is better.

Is there an SA emoticon pack for android? That would be awesome to add.

Vykk.Draygo
Jan 17, 2004

Regarding the keyboard notification, I'm pretty sure it doesn't show up if you only have one keyboard installed. If you hate it so much, you could probably just uninstall/disable any keyboard you don't plan to use.

Saliciouscrumb posted:

Looks like Lightflow has been updated with JB compability. Hope this solves most of the issues we've been seeing.

Still doesn't work for the SGS3 but it's being worked on.

General_Failure
Apr 17, 2005
I've been searching in vain for an outlining program like BrainForest Pro on PalmOS but for Android. Does anyone know of one? It was really useful to me and I've yet to find anything for Android that compares.

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?

Manky posted:

Either BM's service has been killed or the Android built-in manager has taken over. You might want to check your system settings and see how long you have it set to dim when idle, that was my main source of trouble for a bit.

Eh, mind giving a hint as to where that is? There's nothing like that under display or accessibility (GNex running JB).

Manky
Mar 20, 2007

Fun Shoe

hooah posted:

Eh, mind giving a hint as to where that is? There's nothing like that under display or accessibility (GNex running JB).

I'm afraid I haven't been privileged enough to ever use JB, but on my device with cm9 it is settings - display - sleep (2 minutes of activity). If it's not there, I hope someone else can help you out

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

Vykk.Draygo posted:

Regarding the keyboard notification, I'm pretty sure it doesn't show up if you only have one keyboard installed. If you hate it so much, you could probably just uninstall/disable any keyboard you don't plan to use.
You're not allowed to deactivate the stock Android keyboard so if you want anything other than that the notification will stay.

That said anyone upset about the notification that's only there when you're typing is just sperging over nothing. It's far better than the old undiscoverable longpress method.

Vykk.Draygo posted:

Still doesn't work for the SGS3 but it's being worked on.
Isn't that only because the colors have been Samsunged? Like it works fine but Samsung decided there was no reason to use the standard color mapping so they're all mixed up but are consistently the incorrect color?

2ndclasscitizen
Jan 2, 2009

by Y Kant Ozma Post
Solved this:

2ndclasscitizen posted:

Does anyone know how to make the Play Music app update album art? I went through my music library on my phone (HTC OneXL) and updated a shitload using MediaMonkey, rebooted the phone after I was done and fired up the app, and then tried playing one of the albums I updated. It's art changed, but none of the others I did seem to have picked up the new artwork. Anyone way to force a library refresh/rescan? The artworks are all named and placed in the folders correctly, but no dice it seems.

Delete app data and it rebuilds the library database and updates album art.

Vykk.Draygo
Jan 17, 2004

LastInLine posted:

Isn't that only because the colors have been Samsunged? Like it works fine but Samsung decided there was no reason to use the standard color mapping so they're all mixed up but are consistently the incorrect color?

Yeah, basically.

Aatrek
Jul 19, 2004

by Fistgrrl

Syrinxx posted:

Pulse is pretty awesome.

Aatrek fucked around with this message at 12:10 on Jul 18, 2012

Yikes A Zombie!
Jul 18, 2003

Aatrek posted:

Plume is pretty awesome.

Plume reads RSS feeds?

Steriletom
May 11, 2009

My inability to write has angered the ghost of Thunderdome! Beware my example, lest you be haunted.
For anyone interested, Kitchen Confidential can finally be read on the Gnex. I'm guessing it's because of Jellybean.

Related, why does Google Books tell me the actual page I would be on in the actual book rather than recalculating page counts based on how the specific device is displaying the book? Am I missing something in the settings?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

IAmKale
Jun 7, 2007

やらないか

Fun Shoe
Having come over from iOS-ville, I'm used to individual app icons being able to have badges displaying a number corresponding with things like unread messages, podcasts downloaded, etc... Does this convention exist in Android? I ask because there doesn't seem to be a way to get the standard Gmail icon on the home screen to display an unread message count. I even had to add an entirely separate icon-sized widget to the home screen to get an unread newsfeed count for Google Reader.

I just want to tailor my expectations for a new OS.

• Locked thread