Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Wario In Real Life
Nov 9, 2009

by T. Finninho

Feenix posted:

The strangest thing has occurred since installing Mountain Lion. Things like SickBeard and Transmission will occasionally (not always,) stop working. Sickbeard stops responding and Transmission will tell me an IP:port is blocked. A reboot fixes it. It's just peculiar. Never had one lick of problems with either until the day I got Mountain Lion. I cannot fathom what got changed. If anyone has any ideas, I'm all ears! :)
Uhh just because it's a GM doesn't mean your software will somehow work. It hasn't gotten a public release and as such your apps haven't been updated to support it yet.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wario In Real Life
Nov 9, 2009

by T. Finninho

lol internet. posted:

So I'm trying to install the GM DP on my Mac Mini server.. and all I get is this screen. :(

I tried saving the ESD to a USB as I have no DVD drive on this. Any ideas? As soon as I boot off the USB drive, I don't even click anything or anything loads, this is the only screen I get. The bar is constantly moving but nothing else. I let it sit for like 30mins last time.

I've also tried running the ESD dmg directly. It says it's going to install some files, takes about 3mins, says it restarts, but it boots into the original OS.
You can partition your main disk, restore/mount the DMG on your 2nd partition, and then boot from that partition to install ML fresh.

Wario In Real Life fucked around with this message at 06:44 on Jul 16, 2012

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

Trolling Link for a decade

You do know you can put the mouse cursor up near the top and pull down a menu that includes a choice to display the Install Log window, right? Select it to display the Install Log and set it to Show All instead of Show All errors and then you can see where the install is failing.

You can even do this after the Mac reboots to finish the install. If you wait for the end it'll even tell you how long it took to do the install in seconds. The same thing works in regular Lion during install as well.

Gism0
Mar 20, 2003

huuuh?
I've just noticed that [in ML] airplay devices now show up in the sound control panel as an output device, though it doesn't let me select my airport express. Airfoil still has use!

Accipiter
Jan 24, 2004

SINATRA.

Star War Sex Parrot posted:

Don't install the GM seed on non-development machines until it's released to the public and developers release ML-friendly applications.

Problem solved.

This. Stop pretending you're a developer and stop using prerelease software.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Just wear the fucking mask, Bob

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

Any idea how ML performs on a Unibody Macbook (C2D 2.0GHz, NVIDIA 9400M, 4GB)?

I'm getting one in a few days and I'm not sure if I should run Snow Leopard, Lion, or ML (when it's released). I have a 64GB Kingston SSD that I'm not using right now, but if a Samsung 830 goes on sale this week I'll pick up a 128GB.

Lance Rivers
May 20, 2011

by Y Kant Ozma Post
Edited to preserve my Campaign.

Lance Rivers fucked around with this message at 17:57 on Feb 24, 2013

Sonic Dude
May 6, 2009

Lance Rivers posted:

Question: My Mom gave me a used mac Laptop. I can't get it to start up. I can't sell a gift.

So now I have to put effort into trying to work with it.

It turns on, then goes to a screen with a flashing question mark and a folder, then a globe, then back to question mark, repeat, repeat...

If I press the option key early enough when I'm turning it on, I get a Lock on the screen, and a line for a password.

*sigh*

I do not know the password. Is there anyway to get around this, or do I have a fancy white brick?
To get rid of the password: change the amount of RAM (add/remove something). On the first boot, hold down Command-Option-P-R and wait for a few boot chimes. Password should be gone.

The question mark thing is probably either a corrupted OS or a bad hard drive.

Shin-chan
Aug 1, 2008

To be a man you must have honor...
...honor and a penis!
:argh: got a phone call in the middle of my post ^^

Lance Rivers posted:

Question: My Mom gave me a used mac Laptop. I can't get it to start up. I can't sell a gift.

So now I have to put effort into trying to work with it.

It turns on, then goes to a screen with a flashing question mark and a folder, then a globe, then back to question mark, repeat, repeat...

If I press the option key early enough when I'm turning it on, I get a Lock on the screen, and a line for a password.

*sigh*

I do not know the password. Is there anyway to get around this, or do I have a fancy white brick?

The password is the Firmware Password. You can clear this by removing one stick of memory and then resetting the PRAM 3 times.

Lance Rivers
May 20, 2011

by Y Kant Ozma Post
Edited to preserve my Campaign.

Lance Rivers fucked around with this message at 17:58 on Feb 24, 2013

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.

Don't install the GM seed on non-development machines until it's released to the public and developers release ML-friendly applications.

Problem solved.
My bad. You're absolutely right. :) I guess it just seemed less like an app thing and more like a network issue/thing and I made the assumption it wouldn't change. I'll bite my tongue till I get retail. :) sorry.

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

Bob Morales posted:

I'm getting one in a few days and I'm not sure if I should run Snow Leopard, Lion, or ML (when it's released). I have a 64GB Kingston SSD that I'm not using right now, but if a Samsung 830 goes on sale this week I'll pick up a 128GB.

Works great on a late 2009 which is essentially the same hardware but .26 GHz faster. Only issue I've found is that apart from QuickTime Player, video playback on most apps isn't assisted by the 9400M very well, those 3rd party apps need to be updated for ML.

As SWSP said, if you're running mission critical stuff wait for ML-specific apps.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

Binary Badger posted:

Works great on a late 2009 which is essentially the same hardware but .26 GHz faster. Only issue I've found is that apart from QuickTime Player, video playback on most apps isn't assisted by the 9400M very well, those 3rd party apps need to be updated for ML.

As SWSP said, if you're running mission critical stuff wait for ML-specific apps.

I probably will try to just stick it out with Lion for a while, I probably won't upgrade my 2011 Air either - at least until I'm forced to for some weird reason.

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

Lance Rivers posted:

Okay.

Can someone email me a tiny Phillips head Screw Driver to get the back cover off this thing?

Make sure it's a #00 size.

Lance Rivers
May 20, 2011

by Y Kant Ozma Post
Editted to preserve my Campaign.

Lance Rivers fucked around with this message at 17:58 on Feb 24, 2013

oRenj9
Aug 3, 2004

Who loves oRenj soda?!?
College Slice
I think this is the appropriate thread for this question.

I am planning on upgrading the hard drive in my 2010 MBP. My plan is to grab a Ubuntu Live CD and use dd to move my data to the new drive. Are there any gotchas that I need to lookout for?

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

oRenj9 posted:

I think this is the appropriate thread for this question.

I am planning on upgrading the hard drive in my 2010 MBP. My plan is to grab a Ubuntu Live CD and use dd to move my data to the new drive. Are there any gotchas that I need to lookout for?

Why not use Carbon Copy Cloner?

Sir Sidney Poitier
Aug 14, 2006

My favourite actor

I have a mid 2008 Macbook on which I have put Lion (maybe a bad idea?). I used to use it with Leopard to run XBMC, but now I've got Lion on it, 720p x264 videos (in box XBMC and Movist) will occasionally stop the sound for a second - as though it's been playing the sound too fast and the video has the catch up.

I've looked in activity monitor and nothing's using up the resources too much that I can tell, is this just a case of it not being able to cope with Lion?

Communist
Jun 13, 2001
If found outside nmp3s, please return.

lol internet. posted:

So I'm trying to install the GM DP on my Mac Mini server.. and all I get is this screen. :(

I tried saving the ESD to a USB as I have no DVD drive on this. Any ideas? As soon as I boot off the USB drive, I don't even click anything or anything loads, this is the only screen I get. The bar is constantly moving but nothing else. I let it sit for like 30mins last time.

I've also tried running the ESD dmg directly. It says it's going to install some files, takes about 3mins, says it restarts, but it boots into the original OS.

Same thing happened to me. I had to go from SL -> Lion -> Mountain Lion

japtor
Oct 28, 2005

Bob Morales posted:

I remember seeing something on the Samsungs being on sale a few days ago, don't know if the deal is still on though :shobon:

Mercurius
May 4, 2004

Amp it up.

Communist posted:

Same thing happened to me. I had to go from SL -> Lion -> Mountain Lion
The ESD file from the ML GM installer package didn't really work for me when restoring it using disk utility as it either errored out during the restore or got stuck on the above installing screen. I had the same problem with ML dev preview 4 so I wonder if they've changed something about the DMG itself.

I ended up using Carbon Copy Cloner instead, which worked perfectly.

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

I've been using the InstallESD.dmg restored onto a USB 3 Patriot Supersonic using nothing but Disk Utility and it's been fine for me.

Pissingintowind
Jul 27, 2006
Better than shitting into a fan.
How can I replicate this Windows workflow on my new MacBook Air:

1. Manage ID3 tags for FLAC files (Mp3tag in Windows)
2. Convert FLAC files to MP3 V0 using LAME (foobar2000)
3. Manage ID3 tags for MP3 V0 (Mp3tag again)

Thanks for the suggestions!

vkeios
May 7, 2007

I've never found a tag manager I like much, but for converting from lossless to whatever, XLD is amazing.

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

I don't understand why I can't harass people online. Seriously, somebody please explain why I shouldn't be allowed to stalk others on social media!
From the iPhone thread:

The most notable inclusion of this beta is being able to send/receive iMessages on your iPad with your iPhone # as caller ID.

Can you tie iMessages in ML to a phone number now too? I think I remember they said they were unifying it so that would be cool (except I have no one to iMessage with, because all of my friends prefer Android :().

Dead Goon
Dec 13, 2002

No Obvious Flaws

Pissingintowind posted:

I use this for ID3 tags for FLAC files

http://sbooth.org/Tag/

Was hoping it would do MP3s as well so I could just suggest the same program for both tasks, but unfortunately, it does not.

Baron Patsy
Apr 9, 2006

I'M SPECIAL DAMMIT
pretty specific question but does anyone here have any experience with installing Windows 7 via USB drive through boot camp in 10.7.4 on a MBP model with an optical drive? I've tried just about every method that I've seen suggested online and the only conclusion I've reached is that I seem to be poo poo out of luck. my superdrive is broken and doesn't accept discs so I can't just burn a DVD, and I can't get booting from USB to work. I've tried setting up the flash drive both through the Boot Camp Assistant, the official Windows 7 USB tool through VMware, and through Disk Utility and no dice. I just want to play my Steam games :(

crazysim
May 23, 2004
I AM SOOOOO GAY
I had the same experience too but with a MacBook.

I gave up. The fake BIOS on those Macs doesn't support USB booting.

There was something called Winclone that if I had another Mac I would try to use but that has gone to a paid version.

Neurophonic
May 2, 2009

Pissingintowind posted:

Best tag managers I found were Tagr (didn't like the workflow and reliance on mouse input) and The Tagger (expensive but the best option I came across).

Cockwhore
Jul 10, 2005
a quintessence of dust

Pissingintowind posted:

I'll echo everything above, and say I haven't found a great tagging solution. I dropped some cash on Media Rage a while ago, but its interface ended up annoying me. It does do a good job of using regular expressions to tag music based on filenames, or rename files based on metadata. If I have a whole album with messed up tags, I've found MusicBrainz Picard, to do a good job of doing everything automatically. Most of the time, for small changes, I'll just use iTunes, and then when I'm done I'll right click on the songs with edited metadata and do "convert ID3 tags" to save the changes to the files, and not just iTunes' internal database.

As for conversion of FLAC to MP3 V0, I'll also second XLD, which is amazing.

damaca
Feb 7, 2009
Quick question regarding time machine backups. I recently purchased a MacBook Air 2012 and have set it up with programs and settings as I require. If I back this computer up with time machine, then overwrite my old MacBook Pro 2010, will I run into any issues with licensing? Microsoft Office 2011 and the newer suite of iLife are a few grey areas I'm not sure about.

There are a couple of system bound applications (Ableton Live and Maple 15) that I look to install on the old MacBook Pro 2010. Will there be any headaches with licensing on this machine when using a time machine backup from the MacBook Air 2012?

Coming from a traditional Microsoft Windows background, this process seems rather inconvenient for OSX developers who look to keep a firm grip on licensing.

beefnoodle
Aug 7, 2004

IGNORE ME! I'M JUST AN OLD WET RAG
The hardware change will certainly cause Office to prompt for a registration key. Not sure about the others.

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

Boris Galerkin posted:

Can you tie iMessages in ML to a phone number now too? I think I remember they said they were unifying it so that would be cool (except I have no one to iMessage with, because all of my friends prefer Android :().
Nothing on that front yet.

Irritated Goat
Mar 12, 2005

This post is pathetic.
Is there a good way to tame my menu bar? It's getting a bit unruly with everything wanting to put itself up there. I've tried Bartender but it doesn't seem to work well.

Experto Crede
Aug 19, 2008

Keep on Truckin'

crazysim posted:

I gave up. The fake BIOS on those Macs doesn't support USB booting.

Bullshit. Trust me, macs do very much support installing Windows via USB (And linux for that matter). The problem is the windows installer is a complete bitch to get onto a USB drive due to bootloader issues. Not so much an issue in windows because there's a number of tools which do this all for you (WintoFlash springs to mind), but a bit of a bugger in OS X.

wizard sticks
Feb 16, 2005

Moeru posted:

Is there a good way to tame my menu bar? It's getting a bit unruly with everything wanting to put itself up there. I've tried Bartender but it doesn't seem to work well.

Just drag things off you don't want by holding option and clicking + dragging them down.

Irritated Goat
Mar 12, 2005

This post is pathetic.

wizard sticks posted:

Just drag things off you don't want by holding option and clicking + dragging them down.

Doesn't seem to be working. Latest build of lion. Tried on Evernote, Alfred and Mozy

dizzywhip
Dec 23, 2005

Moeru posted:

Doesn't seem to be working. Latest build of lion. Tried on Evernote, Alfred and Mozy

Most apps that have a menu bar icon allow you to remove it in their preferences. In Alfred, open up preferences and go to Appearance > Options and check hide menu bar icon.

Sonic Dude
May 6, 2009

Moeru posted:

Apps ≠ menu extras.

Menu extras are from (unsurprisingly) .menuextra files, and are things like Wi-Fi, Sound, Time Machine, etc. Those can be command-dragged off of the menu bar.
Apps cannot be dragged off (unless they use a .menuextra to put themselves there). Most of the time, as Gordon Cole said, there's a setting to remove the icon in the app's preferences.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Excuse me, pardon me, sheer perfection coming through

Experto Crede posted:

Bullshit. Trust me, macs do very much support installing Windows via USB (And linux for that matter). The problem is the windows installer is a complete bitch to get onto a USB drive due to bootloader issues. Not so much an issue in windows because there's a number of tools which do this all for you (WintoFlash springs to mind), but a bit of a bugger in OS X.

This guy is right.

I've never had a problem installing Windows from USB, either on an old Mac Mini, a 2010 Air, or the 2012 rMBP. I just make a USB drive prepped with the Windows USB tool from a Windows ISO file and then it's off to the races.