Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
MrMoo
Sep 14, 2000

You could use mDNS for IPv6 DNS, domain search order is nigh on obsolete if you use a .local domain.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Xenomorph
Jun 13, 2001

MrMoo posted:

You could use mDNS for IPv6 DNS, domain search order is nigh on obsolete if you use a .local domain.

Would mDNS really help me?

Our systems have a good mix of conflicting local and public DNS names as well as private and public IPs.

It all works fine with IPv4 DHCP. I just want the DHCP server to work with IPv6.

rugbert
Mar 26, 2003
yea, fuck you
Well I just ran some system updates and now flash is hosed up. In chrome, flash videos and pandora play at like 7x normal speed. In firefox flash videos are all choppy and slow. I have no idea which package messed it up, I had like 160 updates waiting for me.

Anyone else having this issue?

Lysidas
Jul 26, 2002

John Diefenbaker is a madman who thinks he's John Diefenbaker.
Pillbug
Does anyone know the details of what runs in the initrd images?

I'd like to make read-only btrfs snapshots of my root and home subvolumes on every boot. I'm perfectly fine with needing to prune them manually. I have a script that does this already; the root of my filesystem contains the following:

code:
@
@home
btrfs-snapshot.sh
snapshots
   home@20120712-1228
   root@20120712-1228
I'm perfectly capable of writing a script that checks whether a filesystem is btrfs, and if so, mounts it and tries to execute something named btrfs-snapshot.sh. I'm not at all experienced with the initrd environment, though. I've been exploring /usr/share/initramfs-tools, but if anyone else has done something like this I'd rather avoid reinventing the wheel.

EDIT: Was unclear: btrfs-snapshot.sh just makes timestamped snapshots of @ and @home. It isn't yet designed to run automatically; I run it myself after mounting the root of the btrfs filesystem.

Lysidas fucked around with this message at 01:57 on Jul 13, 2012

Grumpwagon
May 6, 2007
I am a giant assfuck who needs to harden the fuck up.

rugbert posted:

Well I just ran some system updates and now flash is hosed up. In chrome, flash videos and pandora play at like 7x normal speed. In firefox flash videos are all choppy and slow. I have no idea which package messed it up, I had like 160 updates waiting for me.

Anyone else having this issue?

Yes. Flash in Chrome is hosed up right now. I'm not sure if there is a workaround. When I looked a few days ago, they were just telling people to disable it and wait for a patch.

angrytech
Jun 26, 2009
Youtube flash on my 12.04 system has some weird color inversion going on: blues are red and reds are blue kinda deal. I'd try fixing it, but videos just look so drat cool with crazy trippy colors. :3:

dont skimp on the shrimp
Apr 23, 2008

:coffee:

angrytech posted:

Youtube flash on my 12.04 system has some weird color inversion going on: blues are red and reds are blue kinda deal. I'd try fixing it, but videos just look so drat cool with crazy trippy colors. :3:
You use nvidia, right? If that's the case, it's a known thing. Disabling hardware acceleration for flash has helped some people. Personally I just use the html5-version, though that doesn't work for all videos.

other people
Jun 27, 2004
Associate Christ

angrytech posted:

You can do what Zom Aur suggested, but you might also want to try the solution here:
http://askubuntu.com/questions/117127/flash-video-appears-blue

It worked for me, surprisingly.

angrytech
Jun 26, 2009
Holy poo poo http://blogs.valvesoftware.com/Linux/ is pretty loving sweet.

Craptacular!
Jul 9, 2001

Fuck the DH
Praise heaven. Canonical was starting to run away with paid software in Software Centre, which wasn't great news for people who don't use Ubuntu.

angrytech
Jun 26, 2009

Craptacular! posted:

Praise heaven. Canonical was starting to run away with paid software in Software Centre, which wasn't great news for people who don't use Ubuntu.

Wait, are you complaining that Canonical was trying to convince developers to develop for Linux?

Craptacular!
Jul 9, 2001

Fuck the DH
Nope. Developing on Linux is great, I miss when id used to be somewhat expedient about it. It's not really so much Canonical's fault as much as it is the reality of package-based software, I guess. I don't want to go back to the days of "download source and compile" certainly, but the way they're distributing it isn't the most even handed?

I don't quite know how to express myself, except to say go on a Debian forum and suggest somebody use a Launchpad PPA for practically anything and watch the "DON'T USE UBUNTU BINARIES YOU WILL DIE IN DEPENDENCY HELL AND VIRGINS WILL BE SACRIFICED" reaction. This is especially common in Wine, where people use the WineHQ PPA intended for Ubuntu to get unstable versions (though since Sid now keeps this up to date, you can pin to that and it's less of a problem).

Another example is a lot of quality community-built software distribute via a Launchpad PPA that asks you if you're using anything between Karmic and Quixotic but doesn't consider anything else. I just use those repos anyway, because what are the odds a simple Twitter client or what have you will have a dependency breakdown?

If Steam came in, and eventually supports multiple distros, and allows people to buy and download and auto-update games, which are usually among the most complicated software, without having to mess about with repositories and dependencies and whatnot? That'd be great.

Axel Rhodes Scholar
May 12, 2001

Courage Reactor

Xenomorph posted:

Ubuntu Server 10.04 question:

How difficult is it to get DHCPv6 working (without mucking up a perfectly-fine IPv4 server)? The dhcp3-server daemon doesn't seem to be able to support IPv6.

I have big bucket of static IPv6 addresses for my systems, plus IPv6 DNS working.

For end-users, I tried running as an "IPv6-only" system - their IPv6 address autoconfigures without DHCP, but I have to manually enter in DNS and domain search order since there is no IPv6 DHCP server giving out that info.

ISC dhcp server 3 doesn't support IPv6, 4.0 does but I think Ubuntu updated to that version at one of the 11.x releases.

There are alternatives though - there's wide-dhcpv6-server and maybe dhcp6s in the 10.4 repos (too lazy to check, pretty sure wide's in there).

I've used wide-dhcpv6-server and it was adequate for what you want (I was doing the same thing). It runs completely separately from all the DHCPv4 stuff. Note that netfilter based firewalls block DHCPv6 traffic unless it's explicitly allowed (netfilter's connection tracking doesn't properly track DHCPv6's multicast usage), so clients may need an explicit firewall rule allowing DHCPv6 traffic. Newer Fedoras and Ubuntus have this by default I think.

If you're in charge of the end-user's software image you could try giving them rdnssd and configuring their DNS using the RA option in RFC5006, although I don't know how the server side for that looks off the top of my head, how well supported it is in general, and if it supports domain search order.

angrytech
Jun 26, 2009

Craptacular! posted:

Nope. Developing on Linux is great, I miss when id used to be somewhat expedient about it. It's not really so much Canonical's fault as much as it is the reality of package-based software, I guess. I don't want to go back to the days of "download source and compile" certainly, but the way they're distributing it isn't the most even handed?

I don't quite know how to express myself, except to say go on a Debian forum and suggest somebody use a Launchpad PPA for practically anything and watch the "DON'T USE UBUNTU BINARIES YOU WILL DIE IN DEPENDENCY HELL AND VIRGINS WILL BE SACRIFICED" reaction. This is especially common in Wine, where people use the WineHQ PPA intended for Ubuntu to get unstable versions (though since Sid now keeps this up to date, you can pin to that and it's less of a problem).

Another example is a lot of quality community-built software distribute via a Launchpad PPA that asks you if you're using anything between Karmic and Quixotic but doesn't consider anything else. I just use those repos anyway, because what are the odds a simple Twitter client or what have you will have a dependency breakdown?

If Steam came in, and eventually supports multiple distros, and allows people to buy and download and auto-update games, which are usually among the most complicated software, without having to mess about with repositories and dependencies and whatnot? That'd be great.

Oh ok got it that's legit.

pienipple
Mar 20, 2009

That's wrong!

Craptacular! posted:

Yeah, that'd be amazing. Desura is already available on Linux but the selection of linux capable games available through it isn't that impressive.

MC Hawking
Apr 27, 2004

by VideoGames
Fun Shoe
Okay so weird thing happened yesterday. All of a sudden my moms Ubuntu 12.04 LTS machine decided that it won't connect to the internet via wifi. It just keeps asking for security credentials. I have it configured to automatically install important updates. Could something have slipped through which caused this error?

Edit: never mind looks like having left it off overnight and giving it some time to establish a connection fixed it. :iiam:

Edit 2: Okay it connected but the speed is absolutely absurdly slow. To the point that rendering Google homepage in opera is a multi-minute affair and facebook is in html. I ran a speedtest on my phone right next to the comp and what with finally replacing the router, speeds are way better than what is going on here. I suspect the wifi doingle is finally dying.

Edit 3: Okay now I'm not so sure. I pulled the dongle and did a dozen speedtests on a different computer hooked to the same network and it's performing admirably. I think Ubuntu broke :(

Edit 4: Problem solved. Another USB port bit the dust :(

MC Hawking fucked around with this message at 21:29 on Jul 17, 2012

ShadowHawk
Jun 25, 2000

CERTIFIED PRE OWNED TESLA OWNER

Craptacular! posted:

For what it's worth, just about every package in the Ubuntu App Store (and "extras") repositories are just those "download and dump into a folder" archives extracted into the /opt folder. Proper packaging with distro-specific paths and so on is only for stuff in the supported archive.

quote:

This this is basically the long term consequences of Debian not solving this problem for users nearly as well as Ubuntu has. I know I personally stopped trying to make my packages Debian-compatible when Debian libraries (and multiarch) started falling very far behind, and Debian-policy meanwhile started mandating nonsensical package-splitting.

quote:

Launchpad did want to support Debian as a build-target for PPAs at one point, but it still hasn't been implemented yet.

quote:

Yeah no argument here. I do wonder how it will work with Wine also on the system though.

Longinus00
Dec 29, 2005
Ur-Quan

Craptacular! posted:

What is that supposed to mean? PPAs are built with ubuntu dependencies and depending on which version of debian you're running (including whatever libraries you've pulled from later versions) you can run into conflicts. This is no different from trying to run stuff packaged for fedora 17 in red hat 3.

Craptacular! posted:

I don't understand this. Are you running something older than karmic?

Craptacular! posted:

Steam is effectively it's own repository/package manager. I imagine they'll work around dependencies by doing a lot of static linking.

Craptacular!
Jul 9, 2001

Fuck the DH

Longinus00 posted:

What is that supposed to mean? PPAs are built with ubuntu dependencies and depending on which version of debian you're running (including whatever libraries you've pulled from later versions) you can run into conflicts. This is no different from trying to run stuff packaged for fedora 17 in red hat 3.

I don't understand this. Are you running something older than karmic?
I'm running Debian wheezy/testing. I understand how dependencies work and get broken, but I'm saying that we increasingly are living in a package based world, and in Debian/Ubuntu terms that means most projects in development are distributed via a PPA that is usually hosted by Launchpad.

Now, I can just use binaries intended for a recent version of Ubuntu and be okay on most simple applications and even some complicated ones (WINE unstable and Firefox being the ones most consumer-level Debian users will go for), but games will be one of those things where broken dependencies and differences between distros are likely to raise their head.

So I was saying that Steam for Linux, which is the post I was responding to, is going to be a good thing, because it will negate these issues. Whereas currently Linux retail games are most likely to be sold through Ubuntu's Software Center, and while encouraging retail linux development is a noble goal, USC presently not the ideal solution in it's current form.

Xenomorph
Jun 13, 2001

Longinus00 posted:

Steam is effectively it's own repository/package manager. I imagine they'll work around dependencies by doing a lot of static linking.

Ten copies of games with ten copies of the all the libraries they need inside the games' folders. Everything works, it just may eat up a lot of space.

Craptacular!
Jul 9, 2001

Fuck the DH
Given Valve's love of polling people's system configurations in the past, I don't see why they won't see all but the most niche distros. Check the uname -a result if nothing else.

dont skimp on the shrimp
Apr 23, 2008

Craptacular! posted:

Given Valve's love of polling people's system configurations in the past, I don't see why they won't see all but the most niche distros. Check the uname -a result if nothing else.
Why would they need to do anything? As Longinus00 and Xenomorph said, they could easily solve it with static linking. Much easier than to recompile each game every time a distro updates its libs.

Besides, dumping it in /opt is pretty much the standard solution for all non-OSS software.

pienipple
Mar 20, 2009

That's wrong!

Xenomorph posted:

Ten copies of games with ten copies of the all the libraries they need inside the games' folders. Everything works, it just may eat up a lot of space.

I can live with that, especially if I can set where the Steam folder goes.

unruly
May 12, 2002

YES!!!

pienipple posted:

I can live with that, especially if I can set where the Steam folder goes.
I'm the same. With HDD prices so low, anyone complaining about it is really just being unrealistic.

dont skimp on the shrimp
Apr 23, 2008

Worst case, a symlink would probably suffice.

Xenomorph
Jun 13, 2001
On Windows, many games may include a runtime installer that install stuff to a common system location.

For non-Windows games, they include a copy of the stuff needed to make it run, like this:

/Steam/SteamApps/Common/Doom 2/base/dosbox

/Steam/SteamApps/Common/Commander Keen/base1/dosbox
/Steam/SteamApps/Common/Commander Keen/base2/dosbox
/Steam/SteamApps/Common/Commander Keen/base3/dosbox
/Steam/SteamApps/Common/Commander Keen/base4/dosbox
/Steam/SteamApps/Common/Commander Keen/base5/dosbox

Yeah, downloading and installing the one "Commander Keen" package includes five copies of DOSBox & SDL libraries.

The duplicate libraries (and their source code) for that are 75% of the game install!

TobyObi
Mar 7, 2005
Ain't nobody Obi like Toby ;)

Xenomorph posted:

On Windows, many games may include a runtime installer that install stuff to a common system location.

For non-Windows games, they include a copy of the stuff needed to make it run, like this:

/Steam/SteamApps/Common/Doom 2/base/dosbox

/Steam/SteamApps/Common/Commander Keen/base1/dosbox
/Steam/SteamApps/Common/Commander Keen/base2/dosbox
/Steam/SteamApps/Common/Commander Keen/base3/dosbox
/Steam/SteamApps/Common/Commander Keen/base4/dosbox
/Steam/SteamApps/Common/Commander Keen/base5/dosbox

Yeah, downloading and installing the one "Commander Keen" package includes five copies of DOSBox & SDL libraries.

The duplicate libraries (and their source code) for that are 75% of the game install!
But in the end, it's not a huge space requirement.

And you're instantly away from any system compatibility issues, you've already brought the correct versions of the system files per game.

Install it to a deduplicating filesystem if you're really concerned, I guess?

ShadowHawk
Jun 25, 2000

Honestly when we're talking about games that are multiple gigabytes then worrying about duplication of libraries that are tens of megabytes is probably not particularly important.

There are other arguments for shared libraries, of course -- such as common updates and security and the like -- but many of them don't quite apply to a single trusted piece of software being installed in a user folder anyway (which I'm pretty sure steam will).

MrMoo
Sep 14, 2000

Use disk de-duplication if you care enough, there are already a few alternatives available on Linux.

The Gay Bean
Apr 19, 2004
For the first time since I started using (L)Ubuntu on my secondary computer an update Just WorkedTM. On top of that, it was on an EeePC with a 4 GB hard drive. Also, Lubuntu is coming along quite nicely and got noticeably better this time around. This thread seems to have produced a lot fewer tech support-style posts than previous versions too.

It seems like OSS is really getting its poo poo together.

Wheany
Mar 17, 2006

Spinyahahahahahahahahahahahaha!

Doctor Rope
For me, Linux has Just Worked the first time when I used a Knoppix live cd around 2004-2005. Shortly after I managed to install Mythdora (based on Fedora) and soon after I started to hear about Ubuntu.

Really, the big change was when I could just mash "Next" at a graphical install wizard.

pienipple
Mar 20, 2009

That's wrong!
Decided to try Lubuntu for 12.04, besides me screwing up grub somehow (and I also did that when I installed xubuntu so :shrug:) I like it more than xfce. The software center is especially nice, you can put things in the "app basket" and then install all at once instead of doing things individually.

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

We haven't had that spirit here since 1969.

Silly Ubuntu vs. Mint question. On a fresh install, some fonts in Firefox are a strange-looking narrow thing, especially noticeable here on SA:

But installing the MS fonts as part of ubuntu-restricted-extras always fixed that and made it look normal:

At least, on Ubuntu it always did. But I'm trying out Mint, and installing that package doesn't fix it -- the font is still that narrow one. All other settings are just the Firefox defaults. I don't know a drat thing about fonts; can anyone point me in the right direction?

ShadowHawk
Jun 25, 2000

Powered Descent posted:

Silly Ubuntu vs. Mint question. On a fresh install, some fonts in Firefox are a strange-looking narrow thing, especially noticeable here on SA:

But installing the MS fonts as part of ubuntu-restricted-extras always fixed that and made it look normal:

At least, on Ubuntu it always did. But I'm trying out Mint, and installing that package doesn't fix it -- the font is still that narrow one. All other settings are just the Firefox defaults. I don't know a drat thing about fonts; can anyone point me in the right direction?

Well, I can point you away from Mint and towards Ubuntu ;) -- this is a good example of a probable side effect from the Minty changes (they go beyond just switching the desktop default and installing some additional packages)

More productively, do you have the ttf-mscorefonts-installer package installed? That's the one that actually grabs the MS fonts.

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

We haven't had that spirit here since 1969.

ShadowHawk posted:

More productively, do you have the ttf-mscorefonts-installer package installed? That's the one that actually grabs the MS fonts.

Aha! Turns out the package was installed, but it hadn't actually retrieved the fonts at install time.

I had installed ttf-mscorefonts-installer from the Mint software center, and it certainly appeared to work fine. But on your tip I decided to try purging and reinstalling it with good old apt-get. Up came the EULA screen... which, come to think of it, hadn't shown up at all when I installed it from the Mint software center. Hmm. Anyway, once the install finished properly, everything worked. If I find time, I'll see if I can repeat the problem and send them a proper bug report.

Many thanks! Oh, and not to worry, I'm not abandoning Ubuntu. Just checking out the level of spit and polish in Mint's Cinnamon and MATE editions. :)

mindphlux
Jan 8, 2004

by R. Guyovich
so I have a dumb linux question

I bought an asus zenbook with a SSD, and I'm trying to dual boot a windows install with ubuntu.

I have windows 7 installed, and my partitions all set - with about 16gb free for a linux install. my disk is formatted as a 'basic' windows disk, not a dynamic.

when I try to install ubuntu, I get to the point where I'm selecting the partition/drive to install it to, and it sees my SSD, but it shows the drive as having 0 partitions, with 100% space free. obviously I'm not going to continue from that point, as the installer would just overwrite my partition table and gently caress my windows install.

anyone have any idea why linux wouldn't be seeing my partitions on this SSD?

Purple D. Link
May 17, 2011

HE IS THE HERO
I posted this on Ask Ubuntu but I'll paste it here too.

quote:

I'm new to Ubuntu and I'm trying out 12.04 on a Dell Latitude D360 laptop via USB flash drive. Everything seems to work except for wireless. I'll download the drivers with an ethernet cable, and restart the laptop, but then Ubuntu crashes when it's trying to start up.

I'm not sure what other info might be needed. I Googled for solutions, I think they were mostly alternate ways to download the drivers but none of them worked. I could just use the ethernet cable all the time but wireless would be easier. Does anyone know of any solutions?

Purple D. Link fucked around with this message at 23:24 on Aug 6, 2012

deong
Jun 13, 2001

I'll see you in heck!
Are the Quantal 12.10 alpha builds nearly complete at this point? I'm wanting to do a fresh install, I've got way too many random repos etc on my system and its just time to start fresh. I think this current build has 5 dist-upgrades. I'm in the mood to finally get'er done, and I figure with just a month to go it should be pretty stable?

angrytech
Jun 26, 2009

deong posted:

Are the Quantal 12.10 alpha builds nearly complete at this point? I'm wanting to do a fresh install, I've got way too many random repos etc on my system and its just time to start fresh. I think this current build has 5 dist-upgrades. I'm in the mood to finally get'er done, and I figure with just a month to go it should be pretty stable?

I've used it on my laptop for over a month, for what it's worth.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

deong
Jun 13, 2001

I'll see you in heck!
Works for me! Thanks.

• Locked thread