Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Shane-O-Mac
May 24, 2006

Hypnopompic bees are extra scary. They turn into guns.

wolrah posted:

You shouldn't do that. There's no reason to believe SAB has any major security issues, but there's also no reason to tempt fate by running it with root privs.

Thanks for the heads up. What should I set the permissions of the folder to?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?

Shane-O-Mac posted:

Thanks for the heads up. What should I set the permissions of the folder to?

I've gone a bit overkill because I like to run my home server "by the book", but my download directory is set up so all the primary folders are owned by media:media and have 775 permissions (owner and owner's group can write). Unsorted is 777 (all can write). Files are 664 and 666 respectively (same but no execute privs, which are not needed on any media files but are needed on directories). Each app runs as it's own user which is a member of the group media.

I use Greyhole so all my media directories run through Samba, even for local access, which makes sticking to these permission rules a lot easier since Samba can manipulate things differently than standard Unix permission rules like sticky bits.

The simple version would be to just have a "media" user if you don't want to have SAB and the like run directly as your own user. Add your own user to the "media" group and make sure the group has the appropriate permissions.

Shane-O-Mac
May 24, 2006

wolrah posted:

I've gone a bit overkill because I like to run my home server "by the book", but my download directory is set up so all the primary folders are owned by media:media and have 775 permissions (owner and owner's group can write). Unsorted is 777 (all can write). Files are 664 and 666 respectively (same but no execute privs, which are not needed on any media files but are needed on directories). Each app runs as it's own user which is a member of the group media.

I use Greyhole so all my media directories run through Samba, even for local access, which makes sticking to these permission rules a lot easier since Samba can manipulate things differently than standard Unix permission rules like sticky bits.

The simple version would be to just have a "media" user if you don't want to have SAB and the like run directly as your own user. Add your own user to the "media" group and make sure the group has the appropriate permissions.

Thanks a lot. I'll give it a try.

Smudgie Buggler
Feb 27, 2005

SET PHASERS TO "GRINDING TEDIUM"
Has SABconnect++ stopped one-click download support for nzb.su or something? A couple of weeks ago the site stopped sending .nzb files directly to SABNZBD, and all the little download arrows are greyed out. Everything still works except for this, I just have to download the files and open them and SABconnect++ will still tell me what SABNZBD is doing, but I can't seem to send .nzb files straight from the nzb.su to SABNZBD anymore.

Michael Scott
Jan 3, 2010

by zen death robot
http://www.downforeveryoneorjustme.com/nzbs.org back up

What's the best alternative, would it be something like binsearch or nzbclub? Those just seem like low-rent nzbs.org

Michael Scott fucked around with this message at 04:53 on Jul 16, 2012

UltimoDragonQuest
Oct 5, 2011

Michael Scott posted:

http://www.downforeveryoneorjustme.com/nzbs.org :(

What's the best alternative, would it be something like binsearch or nzbclub? Those just seem like low-rent nzbs.org
NZB.su is good.
Sickbeard's internal site is pretty great.

EC
Jul 10, 2001

The Legend

UltimoDragonQuest posted:

NZB.su is good.
Sickbeard's internal site is pretty great.

Looking at my history over the last month or so, I'd say a 3/4 of the stuff was snatched from Sickbeard's site. The rest is NZBs.org, with one episode being grabbed from DogNZB.

zalmoxes
Sep 30, 2009

:eurovision:
I finally got around to replacing CouchPotato with CouchPotatoServer and it looks really great. The best change of course is that the Manage tab now works and I can see what quality everything in my library is and instantly update it.

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

OFFICIAL #1 GNOME FAN

Michael Scott posted:

http://www.downforeveryoneorjustme.com/nzbs.org back up

I still think their beta site is the best out of all of them (and free), but nzbs.org has been going down and up a lot lately, and now it's throwing out internal server errors :(

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.
"You don't have the C version of NameMapper installed! I'm disabling Cheetah's useStackFrames option as it is painfully slow with the Python version of NameMapper. You should get a copy of Cheetah with the compiled C version of NameMapper.
"\nYou don't have the C version of NameMapper installed! "

Is this a thing I can remedy? (on a Mac, if it matters...)

And if so, how?

[edit] Disregard. I don't think this is a problem I need to concern myself with.

Thanks. :)

Feenix fucked around with this message at 03:34 on Jul 17, 2012

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.
So the issues just keep coming, but I feel like I keep getting further and further into what is at the root cause.

I've gotten Sickbeard to where the startup script runs fine. However, randomly, after a long period of time (Half a day? A day?) if I refresh it in the browser, it's no longer responding. Safari can't find the page.

Anyway, I try to run it in Daemon again and I get this error:
code:
Brandon-Griffins-iMac:sickbeard BSTAR$ Exception in thread HTTPServer Thread-1:
Traceback (most recent call last):
  File "/Library/Frameworks/Python.framework/Versions/2.7/lib/python2.7/threading.py", line 551, in __bootstrap_inner
    self.run()
  File "/Library/Frameworks/Python.framework/Versions/2.7/lib/python2.7/threading.py", line 504, in run
    self.__target(*self.__args, **self.__kwargs)
  File "/Applications/Sickbeard/cherrypy/process/servers.py", line 75, in _start_http_thread
    self.httpserver.start()
  File "/Applications/Sickbeard/cherrypy/wsgiserver/__init__.py", line 1634, in start
    raise socket.error(msg)
error: [Errno 48] Address already in use
I can't tell if this is just an error because it thinks it's already running in Daemon mode, or if this is the error that is what's causing it to not be able to connect. I'd really like to get it to where it stays running. It used to.

Nitr0
Aug 17, 2005

IT'S FREE REAL ESTATE
"error: [Errno 48] Address already in use"

netstat in a terminal and find out what's using the port

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.
What's the proper command for that, just Netstat -r?

[edit] Yes, yes it is. (Just logged in remote to my machine from work to test it.)

Ok, so if Sickbeard is using Localhost:8081 and then it stops working, what am I looking for? I have Sickbeard running fine as Daemon for the moment and I did Netstat -r and I think I see CouchPotato, Sickbeard and SABnzbd (because I see 3 entries with the word "localhost" but I don't know which is which. I don't see any ports identified or anything like that.

[edit again] Ah using Netstat and not Netstat -r gives me more identifiable results. :)

[lastedit] I did Netstat and got a fairly big list. Poring over it I don't see anything that identifies my currently-running Sickbeard Daemon. So I'm not sure how to identify it (and the identify what might be blocking it once it stops working later...)

my SB is set to localhost:8081

Feenix fucked around with this message at 22:50 on Jul 17, 2012

EC
Jul 10, 2001

The Legend
Change the port to something else. If the problem persists, you have an issue with multiple versions of Sickbeard starting somehow. If it doesn't, then another program was using that port and causing a conflict.
Try a weird port like 9865 or something.

zalmoxes
Sep 30, 2009

error: [Errno 48] Address already in use

This means that your computer goes to sleep and Sickbeard doesn't come back on wake. Sickbeard is attached to a file it creates in /var/run and it won't start another process untill the file isn't there anymore. So you have to manually kill the process.

An easy way to find out which process it is is to type
ps aux | grep python
and it will spew out all the lines running python.
ps aux | grep Sickbeard should work as well
You can then kill that process easily with
'kill -9 ####' where ### is the process id you get from the previous command

ps aux | grep Sickbeard | grep -v grep | awk '{print $2}' | xargs kill

The above command should find and kill the sickbeard process for you.
I've never encountered this problem because I run all the usenet apps on a computer that never goes to sleep, but I imagine it would get tideous to do it every time you open up the laptop. You could probably write a launchd script to restart Sickbeard every time your computer wakes up.

Edit: nevermind my troubleshooting. Everyone else is correct about it being the port number. The command should still work to find and kill Sickbeard though, so I'll leave it.

zalmoxes fucked around with this message at 00:13 on Jul 18, 2012

gabensraum
Sep 16, 2003

LOAD "NICE!",8,1
I've just removed dognzb from sickbeard because just now it snatched some fakes that won't actually be available until next week. This surprises me, though, because I thought sickbeard would only check according to schedule. Does it do a periodic 'just-in-case' blanket search as well?

FISHMANPET
Mar 3, 2007

Sweet 'N Sour
Can't
Melt
Steel Beams

deep square leg posted:

I've just removed dognzb from sickbeard because just now it snatched some fakes that won't actually be available until next week. This surprises me, though, because I thought sickbeard would only check according to schedule. Does it do a periodic 'just-in-case' blanket search as well?

It does. I've had it grab stuff that airs in Canada the day before it airs in America.

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.
Thanks everyone! I'm gonna try some of the suggestions. That said I wanted to clarify a few things.

1) I have an iMac (that does not go to sleep.)

2) It very well may be that errno message is because I'm trying to run the daemon again in Terminal and it's just sensing that it's still running from the first time. However, the reason I run that daemon again is because it stops responding in Safari after half a day or something. So it could technically be stopping for some other reason. Not really sure yet.

I changed the port to 9865. We'll see what happens! :)

UndyingShadow
May 15, 2006
You're looking ESPECIALLY shadowy this evening, Sir

deep square leg posted:

Yeah, this exact poo poo happened to me. Passworded archive directing me to some poo poo site to "download the password"

I wish we could find these people and stab them in the dick until they die.

Modern Pragmatist
Aug 20, 2008

zalmoxes posted:

An easy way to find out which process it is is to type
ps aux | grep python
and it will spew out all the lines running python.
ps aux | grep Sickbeard should work as well
You can then kill that process easily with
'kill -9 ####' where ### is the process id you get from the previous command

Not the Linux thread, but this is always useful:
code:
$ pgrep -lf python
$ pgrep -lf Sickbeard
pkill is a useful command as well.

:eng101:

zalmoxes
Sep 30, 2009

pgrep and pkill doesn't work on OS X, but you can tweak the line I typed to get something similar and alias it.

gabensraum
Sep 16, 2003

LOAD "NICE!",8,1
The DogNZB admin is working on a change to prevent the indexing of episodes that haven't aired.

UndyingShadow posted:

Yeah, this exact poo poo happened to me. Passworded archive directing me to some poo poo site to "download the password"

Let's hope it doesn't come to that.

Shane-O-Mac
May 24, 2006

UndyingShadow posted:

You could just add their username to your "blocked words" list. Or go for the dickstab.

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.

Feenix posted:

Thanks everyone! I'm gonna try some of the suggestions. That said I wanted to clarify a few things.

1) I have an iMac (that does not go to sleep.)

2) It very well may be that errno message is because I'm trying to run the daemon again in Terminal and it's just sensing that it's still running from the first time. However, the reason I run that daemon again is because it stops responding in Safari after half a day or something. So it could technically be stopping for some other reason. Not really sure yet.

I changed the port to 9865. We'll see what happens! :)

Ok so Sickbeard has stopped again. I changed the port back earlier to 9865 but it stopped anyway.

I'm really having a tough time determining why. Safari won't load it, and I have no reason to believe it's on. I can't determine anything (as far as I can tell) using Netstat in Terminal.

[edit]
Wait... in Netstat I see this:
code:
Proto Recv-Q Send-Q  Local Address          Foreign Address        (state)    

tcp4     508      0  localhost.9865         localhost.53257        ESTABLISHED
tcp4     461      0  localhost.9865         localhost.53255        CLOSE_WAIT 
tcp4     499      0  localhost.9865         localhost.53245        CLOSE_WAIT 
tcp4       0      0  localhost.9865         localhost.51781        CLOSE_WAIT 
That would be the address : port I set to Sickbeard. What does that mean??

Feenix fucked around with this message at 04:23 on Jul 18, 2012

mrmcd
Feb 22, 2003

Pictured: The only good cop (a fictional one).

UndyingShadow posted:

Heh. Were probably all downloading the same nzb. It seems to have been nuked from dognzb site now though. I checked the site with Tor, looks like it's just some spam site trying to trick you into signing up for free iPad type scams.

Hopefully dognzb fixed whatever was causing them to index passworded files.

zalmoxes
Sep 30, 2009

Feenix posted:

Ok so Sickbeard has stopped again. I changed the port back earlier to 9865 but it stopped anyway.

I'm really having a tough time determining why. Safari won't load it, and I have no reason to believe it's on. I can't determine anything (as far as I can tell) using Netstat in Terminal.

[edit]
Wait... in Netstat I see this:
code:
Proto Recv-Q Send-Q  Local Address          Foreign Address        (state)    

tcp4     508      0  localhost.9865         localhost.53257        ESTABLISHED
tcp4     461      0  localhost.9865         localhost.53255        CLOSE_WAIT 
tcp4     499      0  localhost.9865         localhost.53245        CLOSE_WAIT 
tcp4       0      0  localhost.9865         localhost.51781        CLOSE_WAIT 
That would be the address : port I set to Sickbeard. What does that mean??

The local address is your SickBeard, the foreign address is your browser window. It doesn't mean anything. Did you try killing the sickbeard process?

or

ps aux | grep python | grep -v grep | awk '{print $2}' | xargs kill

Have you tried wiping sickbeard from your computer and reinstalling it?

UltimoDragonQuest
Oct 5, 2011

Is it possible for SABNZBD to detect a RAR within a RAR?

"Pause job when encrypted RAR is downloaded" is great but an encrypted RAR within an unencrypted RAR will slip by.

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.

zalmoxes posted:

The local address is your SickBeard, the foreign address is your browser window. It doesn't mean anything. Did you try killing the sickbeard process?

or

ps aux | grep python | grep -v grep | awk '{print $2}' | xargs kill

Have you tried wiping sickbeard from your computer and reinstalling it?
I'll try the kill command and also
A fresh install. Do you know what the 2 files are I want to keep that hold my shows and preferences?

Bonzo
Mar 11, 2004

Just like Mama used to make it!

Feenix posted:

I'll try the kill command and also
A fresh install. Do you know what the 2 files are I want to keep that hold my shows and preferences?

sickbeard.db, config.ini, and autoProcessTV/autoProcessTV.cfg (if you're using it)

...!
Oct 5, 2003

I SHOULD KEEP MY DUMB MOUTH SHUT INSTEAD OF SPEWING HORSESHIT ABOUT THE ORBITAL MECHANICS OF THE JAMES WEBB SPACE TELESCOPE.

CAN SOMEONE PLEASE TELL ME WHAT A LAGRANGE POINT IS?
Sickbeard really needs more options for episode naming; I can't seem to set it up to put the episode number but not the season number on each file. That means I'm going to have to rename everything it downloads which kills most of its utility. :(

The Gunslinger
Jul 24, 2004

Do not forget the face of your father.
Fun Shoe

...! posted:

Sickbeard really needs more options for episode naming; I can't seem to set it up to put the episode number but not the season number on each file. That means I'm going to have to rename everything it downloads which kills most of its utility. :(

Sickbeard follows all of the popular naming conventions so I don't really see the problem, he can't support every customization people want. Most shows follow a seasonal format and the only reason I'd ever want to do what you're saying is for maybe a miniseries or something. It would probably introduce other issues as well like maintaining the internal database and stuff being picked up properly by scrapers. If people want to do personalized naming for their own libraries then they can modify the autoprocess scripts or use a renamer. I guess I just don't see the problem but maybe I'm not looking at it from the right perspective, why do you want the season numbers removed?

...!
Oct 5, 2003

I SHOULD KEEP MY DUMB MOUTH SHUT INSTEAD OF SPEWING HORSESHIT ABOUT THE ORBITAL MECHANICS OF THE JAMES WEBB SPACE TELESCOPE.

Because it already separates by season, which is preferable to leaving all the episodes in one huge directory. This makes putting the season number on the episode itself extremely redundant. I guess I'm a little OCD in how I like my files named.

Hello Spaceman
Jan 18, 2005

hop, skip, and jumpgate

amf5 posted:

I still think their beta site is the best out of all of them (and free), but nzbs.org has been going down and up a lot lately, and now it's throwing out internal server errors :(

And now there's just a default Apache placeholder page. I hope they're just reconfiguring and the server wasn't rooted and wiped :ohdear:

EC
Jul 10, 2001

The Legend

...! posted:

Because it already separates by season, which is preferable to leaving all the episodes in one huge directory. This makes putting the season number on the episode itself extremely redundant. I guess I'm a little OCD in how I like my files named.

Most of your media programs are gonna look at the file name 90% of the time, so it's good to have the Season number in there. In theory, XBMC just uses the NFO files, but I'd still say its worth it to have S01 or whatever in there.

Keito
Jul 21, 2005

WHAT DO I CHOOSE ?

EC posted:

Most of your media programs are gonna look at the file name 90% of the time, so it's good to have the Season number in there. In theory, XBMC just uses the NFO files, but I'd still say its worth it to have S01 or whatever in there.

I would argue that clogging up all the directories with a bunch of nfo files is a lot more redundant than having a season number in the filename.

kri kri
Jul 18, 2007

Keito posted:

I would argue that clogging up all the directories with a bunch of nfo files is a lot more redundant than having a season number in the filename.

I haven't look in my TV folder in over a year.

Keito
Jul 21, 2005

WHAT DO I CHOOSE ?

kri kri posted:

I haven't look in my TV folder in over a year.

Yeah using sickbeard and good htpc software one shouldn't even need to think about what the filenames are or if the folders contain lots of files.

What is redundancy in a filename anyway? They should contain as much relevant information as possible to increase readability for machines, while we look at pretty pictures.

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

OFFICIAL #1 GNOME FAN

Hello Spaceman posted:

And now there's just a default Apache placeholder page. I hope they're just reconfiguring and the server wasn't rooted and wiped :ohdear:

Well, the 500s said the server was running nginx, so I guess it's possible they're just switching to Apache or something.

...!
Oct 5, 2003

OK, I really, really don't get Sickbeard. It tells SABNZBD to download stuff, does not move or rename it at all even though I've told it to, and now it's having SABNZBD redownload stuff it just downloaded for no apparent reason. This is a mess.

Edit: It's actually downloaded several shows three times tonight. gently caress Sickbeard, I guess I'm just going to have to keep doing this poo poo manually. :sigh:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kri kri
Jul 18, 2007

...! posted:

OK, I really, really don't get Sickbeard. It tells SABNZBD to download stuff, does not move or rename it at all even though I've told it to, and now it's having SABNZBD redownload stuff it just downloaded for no apparent reason. This is a mess.

Edit: It's actually downloaded several shows three times tonight. gently caress Sickbeard, I guess I'm just going to have to keep doing this poo poo manually. :sigh:

Its not that hard man. You need to set up the script to move the file, it will rename the file if you tell it to. Really just take a day or so to learn it, its kind of hard to get your head around but I don't think I have manually started a TV show download since I started using it.

This is a decent guide

http://forum.xbmc.org/showthread.php?tid=120406