Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
BadLlama
Jan 13, 2006

So I am looking to invest in at least 3 brushes from http://www.dickblick.com/products/winsor-and-newton-series-7-kolinsky-sable-miniature-brushes/

Can someone help me pick which 3-4 would be best for Warhams painting? I currently have some cheap brushes but want to get some nice ones.

NM just going to follow op and get the 2,1,0, 0/3 size.

BadLlama fucked around with this message at 22:07 on Jul 17, 2012

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ijyt
Apr 10, 2012

Ah thanks guys. Blu-tac it is. I'd varnish it too if humidity wasn't +90% at the moment.

RJS, I was suggesting the Imperial Primer as a fix, I actually used Halfords Grey Primer.

Hellbeard
Apr 8, 2002

Please report me if you see me post in GBS so a moderator may bulldoze my account like a palestinian school.

selnaric posted:

So I made a thing.

Here's a link to the photoblog of the project.
http://s1071.photobucket.com/albums/u508/Selnaric/Solo%20Drakban/

Awesome! I love it.

Edit: OOOH it's got lights too. That's dope. PLZ take a better pic of what it looks like with the lights.

Hellbeard fucked around with this message at 21:18 on Jul 17, 2012

Signal
Dec 10, 2005

Holy poo poo, I didn't see the lights. That's absolutely astounding.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
Would it be possible to stick the images up on Flickr or Imgur, Photobucket is a steaming sluggish POS and it takes 10 seconds to load each image even on FIOS.

TheCosmicMuffet
Jun 21, 2009

by Shine

Hellbeard posted:

Awesome! I love it.

Edit: OOOH it's got lights too. That's dope. PLZ take a better pic of what it looks like with the lights.

Seconding this, I started off thinking 'oh wow, good for this guy doing such a great job DIYing an overpriced model' and then the fiberoptics showed up and I was like 'oh gently caress yes'.

@Selnaric
I'm curious, regarding 2 things;
- On your choice of sculpting techniques/materials for the prow. You made a frame and then filled it with putty, sanded it (apparently?) and then put more framing pieces over it. But you gave up on the card as framing for the eagle's wings. Was this because of the curvature? And how did you make sure the curvature was the same on both sides--eyeballing as you sanded or did you have a mold or a frame cut out you used like a real ship builder would? Why modeling material--considering the hassle of getting the mush to be symmetric vs heat treating a small piece of card over a form?

- On the paint job--is there no wash? It feels like there's no wash, and I feel like it robs the detail of feeling large scale. Did you skip the wash on purpose or is it coming later, or what?

TheCosmicMuffet fucked around with this message at 21:49 on Jul 17, 2012

Negative Entropy
Nov 30, 2009

Babe Magnet posted:

Depends on whether or not if you live in Australia. And the quality of your health insurance.

Yes and top cover Hospital + Extras...?

Your point?

Prevention > Cure

my kinda ape
Sep 15, 2008

Everything's gonna be A-OK
Oven Wrangler

Kommando posted:

Yes and top cover Hospital + Extras...?

Your point?

Prevention > Cure

That was what some people like to call a joke.

Negative Entropy
Nov 30, 2009

Its hard to tell considering how bad the American healthcare system has been of late.
It may be a real genuine concern for fellow goons who live on noodles to support their Warhams habit, oh the irony of dying from a respiratory disorder from inhaling solvents rather than malnutrition and vitamin D deficiency.

It was the miniatures that got him in the end.

Feeple
Jul 17, 2004

My favorite part of this hobby is the rules arguments.
Hey, I need to ask a non breathing airbrush question:

What ratio of paint to thinner do you all reccomend? I have the Tamiya X-20A thinner and will be using P3 Frostbite.

crime fighting hog
Jun 29, 2006

I only pray, Heaven knows when to lift you out

Feeple posted:

What ratio of paint to thinner do you all reccomend? I have the Tamiya X-20A thinner and will be using P3 Frostbite.

Well with windex I go about forty percent windex, sixty percent paint. Im not sure how real thinner will go over though.

Lovely Joe Stalin
Jun 12, 2007

Our Lovely Wang
I do it by eye now, more often than not. But that's probably because I use Citadel paints and using a pipette feels like wasting paint.

Manifest
Jul 7, 2007

HELLO THERE I COME FROM THE FUTURE

Feeple posted:

I go 50/50 windex and water mixed about 60:40 with p3 paints. If it's too thin add a tiny bit of paint, but I prefer a couple of thin coats.

Also, when did Testors change the label on their dullcote? My lady picked some up for me today and at first I thought she'd gotten the wrong thing.

krushgroove
Oct 23, 2007

Disapproving look
I'm not planning to paint any white models, but I have to ask: why prime in black if you're going to paint something white? Why not prime it in white? I see this all the time and I don't know why anyone would prime *everything* in black.

Pierzak
Oct 30, 2010
Black's more grimdark.

Manifest
Jul 7, 2007

krushgroove posted:

I'm not planning to paint any white models, but I have to ask: why prime in black if you're going to paint something white? Why not prime it in white? I see this all the time and I don't know why anyone would prime *everything* in black.

I prime white all the time.
And grey, and black, and zenithal.

pr0digal
Sep 12, 2008

Alan Rickman Overdrive
A rather feeble first time painter WIP

I followed the noob guide to do this but apparently not well enough

I'm thinking I need a smaller brush and more even strokes for dry brushing. Though I'm tempting to black it again and start with a new paint scheme.

I'm not really happy with it, not as clean as I would have liked. I think I need more layers of the layers and thinner dry brushing.

Help would be greatly appreciated

pr0digal fucked around with this message at 01:55 on Jul 18, 2012

Fyrbrand
Dec 30, 2002

Grimey Drawer

someone buy and paint this, tia.

Dude has a whole category for sexy naked lady figs. Nerds. :ughh:

Baldrash
Oct 26, 2005
I hate to interrupt airbrushchat, but I'm thinking my Menites would look particularly cool with some kind of desert-themed bases, but some cursory Google searching didn't really give me what I was looking for.

If anyone has run across a decent tutorial or something, it would be appreciated.

krushgroove
Oct 23, 2007

Disapproving look

Pierzak posted:

Black's more grimdark.

...but, but...the frustration of painting bright colors over it...

Manifest posted:

I prime white all the time.
And grey, and black, and zenithal.

At the moment I'm just using cheap grey primer, but once I get started properly I'll get the Army Painter colored primers, skipping a step is just too enticing to pass up.

Manifest
Jul 7, 2007

krushgroove posted:

...but, but...the frustration of painting bright colors over it...

At the moment I'm just using cheap grey primer, but once I get started properly I'll get the Army Painter colored primers, skipping a step is just too enticing to pass up.

Don't do it! It never looks as good to prime and basecoat with one spray.

Ashcans
Jan 2, 2006

Let's do the space-time warp again!

krushgroove posted:

If you are going to paint something entirely or mostly white there really isn't a point in priming black. But if you are only going to paint parts of it white, it can still make sense. I prime a lot of stuff black even if it ends up in lighter shades because: 1) when I am doing tabletop stuff I am a lazy loving dude and a black undercoat is worth it for when I miss some nook or detail; 2) I generally prefer the more muted tones that you get over a dark undercoat compared to white, even for lighter shades.

Alternatively, maybe people are too lazy and didn't want to buy additional primer for a couple models?

krushgroove
Oct 23, 2007

Disapproving look
Yeah I guess the 'missing a part of the model' thing is an advantage - I was suprised how many little bits I missed just doing the basecoats on my Genestealers, and I had to go back and touch them up. I thought for some folks it has to do with not wanting to get additional colors of primer.

Manifest posted:

Thanks for that, it was a question I was going to ask at some point anyway!

Feeple
Jul 17, 2004

My favorite part of this hobby is the rules arguments.

Manifest posted:

i dunno, I've always been satisfied with my army painter super lazy technique.

CyberLord XP
Oct 18, 2005

Goldie...She says her name is Goldie
Withe the new random assault distance and snap fire rules, if you come up short in an assault do you still move?

Say I need 9 inches to assault but roll 4. Do I still move the 4 and get shot at? Or do my guys just sit tight?

EDIT - wrong thread, ha, ha.

CyberLord XP fucked around with this message at 12:40 on Jul 18, 2012

my kinda ape
Sep 15, 2008

Everything's gonna be A-OK
Oven Wrangler

CyberLord XP posted:

Withe the new random assault distance and snap fire rules, if you come up short in an assault do you still move?

Say I need 9 inches to assault but roll 4. Do I still move the 4 and get shot at? Or do my guys just sit tight?

W&N brushes are always able to get into assault but dollar store brushes don't move AND must take hits from Overwatch.

Bavius
Jun 4, 2010

Smurfs don't lay eggs! I won't tell you this again! Papa Smurf has a fucking beard! They're mammals!

ghetto wormhole posted:

W&N brushes are always able to get into assault but dollar store brushes don't move AND must take hits from Overwatch.

:bravo:

E: someone recommend a mask - going out to get a new one.

Chenghiz
Feb 14, 2007

WHITE WHALE
HOLY GRAIL

Baldrash posted:

I hate to interrupt airbrushchat, but I'm thinking my Menites would look particularly cool with some kind of desert-themed bases, but some cursory Google searching didn't really give me what I was looking for.

If anyone has run across a decent tutorial or something, it would be appreciated.

Really depends on what kind of desert you are going for. Rocky, sandy, scrub?

pr0digal
Sep 12, 2008

Alan Rickman Overdrive
Update on Hive Fleet What A Terrible Color Scheme

After getting it mostly painted and realizing how drab (and terribly painted) it looks I'm going to dunk this little guy into simple green for a day, scrub it all off, re-black and go with a different scheme and hopefully steadier hands

You guys make this look easy

Bavius
Jun 4, 2010

Smurfs don't lay eggs! I won't tell you this again! Papa Smurf has a fucking beard! They're mammals!
Did you buy any shade or wash paints? They'll help you get through those little guys. Are you using any guide, do you know what color scheme you want to accomplish?

pr0digal
Sep 12, 2008

Alan Rickman Overdrive

Bavius posted:

Did you buy any shade or wash paints? They'll help you get through those little guys. Are you using any guide, do you know what color scheme you want to accomplish?

Yup, I've got the GW washes and shades but I guess I did them in the wrong order. I was following the paint guides on their website for the order and the third post in this thread for a guide and it didn't turn out as planned. I'm tempted to pick up the How To Paint Miniatures book.

Originally I wanted a darker color scheme but it looks too drab, doesn't work for Tyranids. I'm thinking now of going red for the carapace, that weird pinkish color being used for the carapace now for the body and I have no idea anymore for the muscles and such. I've got this guy and the genestealer I started soaking in simple green right now.

Why oh why do I play the race with nooks and crannies

The three paint sets below are what I have

Originally for the muscles and such, now for carapace

Original carapace, now for body

I don't know what the gently caress

pr0digal fucked around with this message at 04:17 on Jul 18, 2012

Slandible
Apr 30, 2008

^^^^^

I would suggest something easier to start for nids. The basic color scheme GW always like to show off is on several guides and looks well. The yellowish skin tone with a red carapace. Just cover the skin in white and completely wash it with a Sephia I believe than Mephiston red on the carapace and maybe just a quick wash if you aren't ready for highlights yet.

You don't want to be putting all your detail into gaunts or you will go insane. Especially for just starting out, take it slow and easy. Work up to highlights once you've figured out how to base coat and wash well enough.

Edit >> Hell, here's most of the guide:

Slandible fucked around with this message at 04:35 on Jul 18, 2012

sexart
Jan 5, 2001

Damn...I know alotta big words
For what its worth, I think we are starting Tyranids at the same time and I have like the inverted colour scheme of you.

I did Mephiston Red for the skin, and Abaddon Black for the shell. Doing a wash of nuln oil over the basecoat made my guys go from 'kinda crappy' to 'hell yes I can almost play this isn't so bad'. The wash is like, liquid talent. Definitely not as noticable over the black shell on my guys, so I'm doing the highlights before the wash. But with the skin I did base then wash, and plan to try highlighting on my HQ units and not bothering with the rank-and-file terms/genes/horms.

pr0digal
Sep 12, 2008

Alan Rickman Overdrive

Khorne Flakes posted:

^^^^^

I would suggest something easier to start for nids. The basic color scheme GW always like to show off is on several guides and looks well. The yellowish skin tone with a red carapace. Just cover the skin in white and completely wash it with a Sephia I believe than Mephiston red on the carapace and maybe just a quick wash if you aren't ready for highlights yet.

You don't want to be putting all your detail into gaunts or you will go insane. Especially for just starting out, take it slow and easy. Work up to highlights once you've figured out how to base coat and wash well enough.

Edit >> Hell, here's most of the guide:

So I went from 0 to OH poo poo COMPLICATED way too quick

I shall take your advice and start simple and sexart no poo poo? We're gonna have inverted 'nids cause I'm going Mephiston Red for the shell and probably that Uruk-Hai base for the skin.

I doubt I'll have these guys painted for the game I'm playing thursday but I want to start.

Thanks again, I'll post another picture when I do a more simplistic color scheme

sexart
Jan 5, 2001

Damn...I know alotta big words
Yup. http://imgur.com/a/aVLsA

Mephiston Red with a Nuln Oil wash, along with Uskabi(?) Bone for the teeth/claws/hooves, and a brown with orange highlight for the guns.
Genestealers have yet to be washed.

For the shell I am probably going to either draw highlight lines or do a drybrush over the whole of the shell in two grey layers.

Jonny Nox
Apr 26, 2008

pr0digal posted:

Update on Hive Fleet What A Terrible Color Scheme

After getting it mostly painted and realizing how drab (and terribly painted) it looks I'm going to dunk this little guy into simple green for a day, scrub it all off, re-black and go with a different scheme and hopefully steadier hands

You guys make this look easy

Save that photo and re-visit in a year. You will be amazed.

As for steady hands, I paint with both elbows on my desk and the mini held at eye level. I hold my brush about halfway up, and have side of the hand holding the brush touching the hand holding the mini. I'm sure the talented painters can give better advice.

Manifest
Jul 7, 2007

The color scheme itself is pretty good. Just keep at it.

selnaric
Feb 20, 2006

TheCosmicMuffet posted:

@Selnaric
I'm curious, regarding 2 things;
- On your choice of sculpting techniques/materials for the prow. You made a frame and then filled it with putty, sanded it (apparently?) and then put more framing pieces over it. But you gave up on the card as framing for the eagle's wings. Was this because of the curvature? And how did you make sure the curvature was the same on both sides--eyeballing as you sanded or did you have a mold or a frame cut out you used like a real ship builder would? Why modeling material--considering the hassle of getting the mush to be symmetric vs heat treating a small piece of card over a form?

- On the paint job--is there no wash? It feels like there's no wash, and I feel like it robs the detail of feeling large scale. Did you skip the wash on purpose or is it coming later, or what?

For the eagle's wings I didn't think I could do a good job bending plasticard around the shape. I think I did some measuring for the prow when I started but near the end I mostly just eyeballed the shape. I decided to fill in the frame with putty and sand it because I was just going to make one. If I was going to make more than one heat treating a piece over a form would be a great idea. I'll have to remember that.

On the paint job, from the very beginning I was intending this to be like a ship model in the captain's quarters. So I was going for a more clean look.

Also, I just wanted to be done with project. I've been working on it off and on for 2 and a half years and with being involved with the oath thread I just needed to have this off my table. I don't know. I might go back later and add more painting detail.

Edit: I'll try and get some better pics of the lighting. If anyone has any suggestions for this I'd love the advise.

selnaric fucked around with this message at 06:52 on Jul 18, 2012

Sing Avoca!
Feb 26, 2008
I just read indolent bastard's instantmold megapost (you are an absolute hero), and I'm about to start casting a few heads for an all Druze infinity force. I'm going to try and make a two part mold and try and press the heads with a liquid resin.

Has anyone had success using the two part process to get finicky details?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lovely Joe Stalin
Jun 12, 2007

Our Lovely Wang
I'm thinking about getting into this oil washing stuff and I was wondering if there was an oil colour close to the old Citadel Shadow Grey, or the current The Fang ?

I'm guessing not, and that I would have to mix it myself, so any ideas on which oils would be best to start with ?

• Locked thread