Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Ride The Gravitron
May 2, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
Caught Self-Medicated a couple nights ago. Still not sure if I liked it but it was an interesting movie about a youth on a downward spiral.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=?XhUuz6LAJL8

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dielectric
May 3, 2010
Peep Show anyone? We watched it all the way through, a couple at a time. Really funny, sick, and fun. They have all seven seasons so you'll get to spend some quality time there.

_aaron
Jul 24, 2007
The underscore is silent.

Dielectric posted:

Peep Show anyone? We watched it all the way through, a couple at a time. Really funny, sick, and fun. They have all seven seasons so you'll get to spend some quality time there.
Just started watching this recently, and it's pretty hilarious. Anytime you're hearing Mark's thoughts as he realizes he's doing something awful is especially great.

a starchy tuber
Sep 9, 2002

hi yes I'm very normal
Season 4 of Breaking Bad is up. Just in time to catch up for season 5.

maxnmona
Mar 16, 2005

if you start with drums, you have to end with dynamite.

Dielectric posted:

Peep Show is the best. If you haven't watched Peep Show, you haven't fully utilized your Netflix subscription yet.

Kro-Bar
Jul 24, 2004
USPOL May

Dielectric posted:

Peep Show is one of the best sitcoms of the past decade. It's a brilliantly caustic work whose initially-gimmicky first-person POV actually turns into a way to work in a lot of layered character development and way more jokes than a regularly-styled sitcom.

Plus the creators and head writers--Jesse Armstrong and Sam Bain--also co-created "The Thick of It," the excellent show that the brilliant "In the Loop" (which they also wrote, I believe) was spun-off from. They also wrote the Chris Morris' "Four Lions," which is the best comedy about a terrorist cell you'll ever see.

Basically, watch Peep Show. If you like it you might also want to check out "That Mitchell and Webb Look," which is an earlier sketch show featuring many of the stars of Peep Show. Many of the same actors also starred in "Magicians," where Mitchell and Webb play dueling magicians. Unfortunately neither of those titles are on Netflix at the moment. :(

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

You can't stop what's coming

Kro-Bar posted:

Basically, watch Peep Show. If you like it you might also want to check out "That Mitchell and Webb Look," which is an earlier sketch show featuring many of the stars of Peep Show. Many of the same actors also starred in "Magicians," where Mitchell and Webb play dueling magicians. Unfortunately neither of those titles are on Netflix at the moment. :(

Mitchell and Webb Look is streaming on Netflix.

Power of Pecota
Aug 4, 2007

Goodness no, now that wouldn't do at all!

_aaron posted:

Just started watching this recently, and it's pretty hilarious. Anytime you're hearing Mark's thoughts as he realizes he's doing something awful is especially great.

Mark's voiceover in the first season while he's peeing on Sophie's desk pretty much guaranteed I was going to watch and love the rest of the series.

Oh! Also if you're just discovering Peep Show now like I did earlier this year, Sophie's the teacher in Rushmore. It came up when a friend and I both recognized her in the trailer of Hyde Park on Hudson, and it blew my mind.

Power of Pecota fucked around with this message at 04:25 on Jul 17, 2012

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

maxnmona posted:

Peep Show is the best. If you haven't watched Peep Show, you haven't fully utilized your Netflix subscription yet.

Backing this. The show is legendary.

And TMaWL is basically Tim and Eric but British. WATCH THESE SHOWS

Kilometers Davis fucked around with this message at 04:30 on Jul 17, 2012

Hewlett
Mar 4, 2005

"DANCE! DANCE! DANCE!"

Also, drink
and watch movies.
That's fun too.

Power of Pecota posted:

Oh! Also if you're just discovering Peep Show now like I did earlier this year, Sophie's the teacher in Rushmore. It came up when a friend and I both recognized her in the trailer of Hyde Park on Hudson, and it blew my mind.

Alas, the teacher in Rushmore is Olivia Williams. Olivia Colman is who you're thinking of (she's also in the first season of Mitchell and Webb Look, and she was in Matt Smith's first episode of Doctor Who. Don't forget being Thatcher's daughter in the pretty-bad Iron Lady).

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

Dielectric posted:

I'm a fan of the earlier seasons, but it gets incredibly mean-spirited later on. I stopped watching when Super Hans makes that teenage kid give him a blowjob. That's regular messed-up, not funny dark-humor messed-up.

Mitchell and Webb look is good to the last drop though.

Yay Pudding!
Mar 26, 2010

Frrrrrrunkis
Peep Show got way too uncomfortable for me really fast. I don't relate to either character, and it just makes me cringe way too much. I like mean humor but it seems like it takes it to excess. I love other UK sitcoms, but Peep Show pushes my limit for uncomfortable humor.

oneof27
May 27, 2007
DSMtalker
I didn't see it mentioned yet. Check out Alice from 2009. It's a 2 part miniseries of Alice in Wonderland. It's just about perfect. It takes a steamy dump on Tim Burton's movie.
Also, Matt Frewer.

Le0
Mar 18, 2009

Rotten investigator!
Hey guys, so being a filthy European I've always been deeply jealous of you Americans and your shiny Netflix.

I don't know much about it but is there any plan to have this in Europe in the coming years?

maxnmona
Mar 16, 2005

if you start with drums, you have to end with dynamite.

Yay Pudding! posted:

Peep Show got way too uncomfortable for me really fast. I don't relate to either character, and it just makes me cringe way too much. I like mean humor but it seems like it takes it to excess. I love other UK sitcoms, but Peep Show pushes my limit for uncomfortable humor.

Yeah, Peep Show is a tv show about the two worst human beings alive, which is what makes it funny. Everything that happens to them is totally their fault.

Which is why I love that scene where Sophie finally runs out of the car from Mark shouting "He's a horrible human being" because it's true! He is.

mod sassinator
Dec 13, 2006
I came here to Kick Ass and Chew Bubblegum,
and I'm All out of Ass
If you're a Gus Van Sant fan, Paranoid Park was just added yesterday: http://instantwatcher.com/titles/181004

Dielectric
May 3, 2010

Yay Pudding! posted:

But the best part is laughing, then feeling a deep sense of shame and disgust with yourself for it. I'm sure the Germans have a good word for it.

Keyser_Soze
May 5, 2009

Pillbug
I watched Breaking Bad 4.1 last night on streaming and I'll stream a few more - but will still probably order the disc so I can hear the commentary versions which are hilarity for the most part since it's then entire cast all hammered* making jokes and location comments.

*maybe they're not drunk but they might as well be. I remember the 1st season commentary sucked though.

I also can't watch Mad Men without the Matthew Weiner commentary (on a second pass) so more discs for that too, at least to catch the first/last episode(s) commentary.

Deadwood and the Wire (and Criterion Collection DVD's) really got me into commentary, you just learn so drat much about the films/shows. Drunk Olyphant/McShane was near the top as they pretty much just talked about everything except what was on the screen.

Keyser_Soze fucked around with this message at 01:51 on Jul 18, 2012

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

maxnmona posted:

Yeah, Peep Show is a tv show about the two worst human beings alive, which is what makes it funny. Everything that happens to them is totally their fault.

Which is why I love that scene where Sophie finally runs out of the car from Mark shouting "He's a horrible human being" because it's true! He is.

Yeah, but it's only funny when it happens to them. With Barney, for example, he didn't do anything wrong.

Manky
Mar 20, 2007

Fun Shoe

Pick posted:

Yeah, but it's only funny when it happens to them. With Barney, for example, he didn't do anything wrong.

No, but he was gullible and naive. It's not supposed to be fair and they make no attempts to justify it, but it's part of the underlying theme of random cruelty. It also draws a nice parallel to Jez's job with the Orgazoid.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

Keyser S0ze posted:

Watched Breaking Bad 4.1 last night on streaming and I'll stream a few more but will still probably order the disc so I can hear the commentary versions which are hilarity for the most part.

I also can't watch Mad Men without the commentary now on a second pass so more discs for that too I suppose.

They stream commentary now? This is huge!

Haha, I completely misread. The "4.1" threw me. I got all excited there for a second.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD fucked around with this message at 22:48 on Jul 17, 2012

GonSmithe
Apr 25, 2010

Perhaps it's in the nature of television. Just waves in space.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD posted:

They stream commentary now? This is huge!

Huh? You might want to read his post again.

Professor Clumsy
Sep 12, 2008

It is a while still till Sunrise - and in the daytime I sleep, my dear fellow, I sleep the very deepest of sleeps...

Le0 posted:

Hey guys, so being a filthy European I've always been deeply jealous of you Americans and your shiny Netflix.

I don't know much about it but is there any plan to have this in Europe in the coming years?

It's hit Britain already, so depending on where you are it may only be a matter of time.

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

New countries tend to be disappointing anyways since they start from zero on licensing deals. It's not like Germany would just get US NetFlix content.

marsisol
Mar 30, 2010
Just watched STEP INTO LIQUID which is a surfing documentary that will absolutely blow your mind. Amazing cinematography and stories, even if you have no interest in surfing. A lot of heartwarming stories and breathtaking waves, from Hawaiian barrels to riding the wake of an oil supertanker in east Texas, to Catholic and Protestant children braving freezing waters together in Ireland. This film will make you want to get off the couch and into the nearest water (even the Great Lakes) to catch some waves with your buddies and enjoy life. Highly recommended.

Tennis Ball
Jan 29, 2009
I just started watching Peepshow. Pretty good if you can get past the sometimes disorienting camera work.

human snorlax
Apr 20, 2011

the brutality of nature

etalian posted:

It's a groan worthy bad movie, which is really disappointing since the low fantasy setting for Conan stories is really awesome.

But at least it has Ron Perlman

Ron Perlman's big huge gigantic fake beard is the highlight of that movie.

Erebus
Jul 13, 2001

Okay... Keep your head, Steve boy...

Tennis Ball posted:

I just started watching Peepshow. Pretty good if you can get past the sometimes disorienting camera work.

It should be a little less disorienting after the first season. I think originally they were actually using head mounted cameras on the actors, then from season 2 onward they just shot people talking into normal cameras.

Tennis Ball
Jan 29, 2009

Erebus posted:

It should be a little less disorienting after the first season. I think originally they were actually using head mounted cameras on the actors, then from season 2 onward they just shot people talking into normal cameras.

Yeah I just started watching season 2 and there is still some head cam stuff but it is better.

Aafter
Apr 14, 2009

A is for After.
Transformers 3 is up on Netflix. Did it bomb at the box office or something? I've never known big movies like this to get on Netflix so soon. Conan is a good example of what I mean.

pr0p
Dec 8, 2011
A year out from release doesn't seem so bad. I thought it wasn't a bad movie. I had only watched a bootlegged copy of Transformers 2 a few years back (never seen the first) and the only thing I remember is '21 Guns' by Green Day seeming to play all the time. This one was sort of lighthearted and the action scenes were okay. The idea of alien robots having earth accents seemed dumb as hell, but clearly these movies weren't made for me.

JediTalentAgent
Jun 5, 2005
Hey, look. Look, if- if you screw me on this, I shall become more powerful than you can possibly imagine, you rat bastard!
I noticed the Chasing Ghosts documentary has been loaded up, it looks like. I've not watched it, yet, but from everything I've heard it covers some of the same material as the King of Kong documentary but from a different angle. I know a few people have said to prefer it to KoK, though. I need to give it a watch when I get the chance.

Le0
Mar 18, 2009

Rotten investigator!

Professor Clumsy posted:

It's hit Britain already, so depending on where you are it may only be a matter of time.

I really hope that it gets to Switzerland sometimes. Still it's great to hear thanks for the heads up

Spanrah
May 6, 2006
These are small, Those are far away

JediTalentAgent posted:

I noticed the Chasing Ghosts documentary has been loaded up, it looks like. I've not watched it, yet, but from everything I've heard it covers some of the same material as the King of Kong documentary but from a different angle. I know a few people have said to prefer it to KoK, though. I need to give it a watch when I get the chance.

I watched it - it's ok, but it lacks the narrative structure of King of Kong, so not quite as good. Probably still worth the watch though, if you enjoyed KoK!

Slate Action
Feb 13, 2012

by exmarx

Aafter posted:

Transformers 3 is up on Netflix. Did it bomb at the box office or something? I've never known big movies like this to get on Netflix so soon. Conan is a good example of what I mean.

:stare:

Worldwide box office gross according to boxofficemojo.com: $1,123,746,996

In fact it might be up there now because of how much it made.

Donovan Trip
Jan 6, 2007

Slate Action posted:

:stare:

Worldwide box office gross according to boxofficemojo.com: $1,123,746,996

In fact it might be up there now because of how much it made.

Jesus christ, that's a real number? I couldn't take a whole five minutes of it on streaming.

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

Aafter posted:

Netflix seems to have some budget for individual "first run" movie licenses. Like maybe one a month that you would rent as a new DVD.

Like:

Thor
Immortals
Rum Diary
Drive
Rango
Limitless
No Strings Attached

I saw two of those in the theater, so that's not bad.

screenwritersblues
Sep 13, 2010

marsisol posted:

Just watched STEP INTO LIQUID which is a surfing documentary that will absolutely blow your mind. Amazing cinematography and stories, even if you have no interest in surfing. A lot of heartwarming stories and breathtaking waves, from Hawaiian barrels to riding the wake of an oil supertanker in east Texas, to Catholic and Protestant children braving freezing waters together in Ireland. This film will make you want to get off the couch and into the nearest water (even the Great Lakes) to catch some waves with your buddies and enjoy life. Highly recommended.

If you liked Dana Brown's film, then go watch his father's, Bruce Brown, film The Endless summer. It's on of the first surf film, it was made 1966, but it's so awesome to see that 60s surf culture and the influence that it had on modern surfing.

Grandmaster.flv
Jun 24, 2011

Power of Pecota posted:

The teacher in Rushmore was Olivia Williams. I think the last movie she was in was The Ghostwriter.

She's also still a babe.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fenix down
Jan 12, 2005

echronorian posted:

Jesus christ, that's a real number? I couldn't take a whole five minutes of it on streaming.
Never underestimate the power of marketing.

• Locked thread