Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

kitten smoothie
Dec 29, 2001

Rastor posted:

It's offered when you set up the device. If you skipped the offer, you'll have to factory reset the device to be offered it again.

You also need to have a credit card linked to your Play account.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

I LOVE Musk and his pro-first-amendment ways. X is the future.

Jerk McJerkface posted:

That's the way every other Android tablet (with 3.0+) has rendered the home screen. For some reason the Nexus 7 didn't do that, instead uses the phone interface. I really don't like it, I'd prefer the traditional tablet interface. I'm going to try the posted hack and see if I like it, if there's a problem I can always reflash the stock image, no big deal.
Its not even a flash, its changing 3 numbers in a text file, albeit in /system/ so you need root.

stormrider
Sep 18, 2003

Absolut Awful
Hey, cool, in addition to the $25 Play store credit, the Nexus 7 came with a couple of free books (including newish Bourne series book I haven't read) and a free copy of the new Transformers film. Hadn't read that and wasn't expecting it.

Optimus Subprime
Mar 26, 2005

Ideas are more powerful than guns. We would not let our enemies have guns, why should we let them have ideas?

Rastor posted:

It's offered when you set up the device. If you skipped the offer, you'll have to factory reset the device to be offered it again.

Ahh ok, I didn't check the offer for emails about deals at the google play store, which is apparently what does it.

mushi
Oct 13, 2003
I am addicted to video games.
How does the offline navigation work on the nexus 7? I tried using both Google maps and navigation, and neither worked without a data connection and I don't see a GPS entry in options.

Is there a separate application or setting I need to enable to use this as a GPS device?

Hamelekim
Feb 25, 2006

And another thing... if global warming is real. How come it's so damn cold?
Ramrod XTreme

mushi posted:

How does the offline navigation work on the nexus 7? I tried using both Google maps and navigation, and neither worked without a data connection and I don't see a GPS entry in options.

Is there a separate application or setting I need to enable to use this as a GPS device?

I believe there is an option when viewing the maps on wi-fi to select download for offline use. You have to specifically select to download the map in order to use it offline.

Super-NintendoUser
Jan 16, 2004

COWABUNGERDER COMPADRES
Soiled Meat

ilkhan posted:

Its not even a flash, its changing 3 numbers in a text file, albeit in /system/ so you need root.

Have you noticed any market incompatibilities? Thats always been an issue when changing DPI.

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

My play store credit showed up as soon as I logged into the tablet for the first time. No option, just "hey, have some play store credit!" I don't think its optional.

Jerk McJerkface posted:

Have you noticed any market incompatibilities? Thats always been an issue when changing DPI.
Haven't seen any, but haven't gone looking or even loaded most of my phone's apps on the nexus7 yet.

dedian
Sep 2, 2011

mushi posted:

You need a data connection for Google navigation, but can get an offline map through maps. GPS should work offline on that map, but you can't get directions on it.

dedian fucked around with this message at 01:22 on Jul 18, 2012

Dr. Despair
Nov 4, 2009

39 perfect posts with each roll.

For people who haven't received their pre-order yet, google just sent out an email it seems. People who ordered before the 11th will have their orders shipped this week, with the shipping upgraded to overnight with no charge, and orders after the 11th will ship next week, also with overnight shipping.

Trillest Parrot
Jul 9, 2006

trill parrots don't die
Unboxed my Nexus 7 and almost got it just the way I want it! If I want to stream HD .mkv's over samba, is DicePlayer my best bet? Is there a better way to stream video I don't know about?

Gravitom
Jul 27, 2001

Jerk McJerkface posted:

OK Cupid doesn't work. It also took them a few weeks to get working on the Galaxy Nexus. Those guys are slackers.

stormrider posted:

Hey, cool, in addition to the $25 Play store credit, the Nexus 7 came with a couple of free books (including newish Bourne series book I haven't read) and a free copy of the new Transformers film. Hadn't read that and wasn't expecting it.

Also a few magazines. Esquire, Popular Science, Traveler, Family Circle and The Food Network Magazine.

Gravitom fucked around with this message at 02:05 on Jul 18, 2012

blugu64
Jul 17, 2006

Do you realize that fluoridation is the most monstrously conceived and dangerous communist plot we have ever had to face?

urbancontra posted:

Unboxed my Nexus 7 and almost got it just the way I want it! If I want to stream HD .mkv's over samba, is DicePlayer my best bet? Is there a better way to stream video I don't know about?

I'm still playing with it, but I think I'm liking minidlna and a dlna client(not sure which one I like yet) on the phone/tablet. If you're using OS X/Windows I'm sure you could find a dlna server.

EDIT: VV ES File Explorer lets you browse samba shares, and from there you can play with MX Player. You can also use SyncMe, to synchronize a folder on your device and share. Comes in handy with no external media.

blugu64 fucked around with this message at 02:51 on Jul 18, 2012

General_Failure
Apr 17, 2005
Just installed and played Dead space on the Elf II. No problems.

Now what's this about streaming via SMB? That'd save a lot of time copying throwaway files.

stormrider
Sep 18, 2003

Absolut Awful
Anyone else find the unboxing completely frustration free and not at all difficult? I mean the videos online were funny, but definitely make me think less of the people than the product.

TooLShack
Jun 3, 2001

SMILE, BIRTHDAY BOY!
So mine was shipped out and it appears the UPS driver dropped it off at the wrong house or lost it. I checked with all my neighbors and they didn't get it, UPS says it's delivered and told me to contact Google. I had mine shipped preconfigured with my google account, does that lock the Nexus to just my account? Been on hold with Google for the past 45min, I hope I can get a new one shipped to me.

teethgrinder
Oct 9, 2002

Mr. Despair posted:

For people who haven't received their pre-order yet, google just sent out an email it seems. People who ordered before the 11th will have their orders shipped this week, with the shipping upgraded to overnight with no charge, and orders after the 11th will ship next week, also with overnight shipping.

My email basically says "lol Canada". It's okay, we're used to it.

Edit: 8gb ones are all out, 16gb ones 1-2 more weeks

teethgrinder fucked around with this message at 03:01 on Jul 18, 2012

moK!
Aug 9, 2007
For those of you that have received your Nexus 7, do you guys have any ghosting problems? I noticed it the moment I turned it on and swiped across the homescreens and it was pretty bad. I let it sit for about 10 minutes with the screen off and the issue seems to be gone :shrug:

mushi
Oct 13, 2003
I am addicted to video games.

dedian posted:

You need a data connection for Google navigation, but can get an offline map through maps. GPS should work offline on that map, but you can't get directions on it.
Thanks. That seems kind of weird. Are there any recommended apps that would function as a navigation tool with directions, without some dumb subscription or anything?

Syrinxx
Mar 28, 2002

Death is whimsical today

TooLShack posted:

So mine was shipped out and it appears the UPS driver dropped it off at the wrong house or lost it. I checked with all my neighbors and they didn't get it, UPS says it's delivered and told me to contact Google. I had mine shipped preconfigured with my google account, does that lock the Nexus to just my account? Been on hold with Google for the past 45min, I hope I can get a new one shipped to me.
Man, this sucks. Sorry to hear it. I hate to use your experience as an example but this is why people should always have things shipped to their work. UPS treats businesses a LOT better than residential customers.

TooLShack
Jun 3, 2001

SMILE, BIRTHDAY BOY!

Syrinxx posted:

Man, this sucks. Sorry to hear it. I hate to use your experience as an example but this is why people should always have things shipped to their work. UPS treats businesses a LOT better than residential customers.

I work from home....

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

So, a bit of an odd thing.

I was playing around with the Play Magazines app and was looking at the preloaded issue of popular science. It wasn't working properly. It would default to a half zoom mode and you couldn't zoom out nor could you pan down to see the rest of the page. From the comments, I can see I wasn't the only one. I tried clearing out all data in the app and downloading again to no effect.

Well, when I got home, the first thing I did was unlock the bootloader which wiped the device. I've been playing around with it all evening and decided to try the magazine again. Now it loads up properly.

So, I'm not sure at this point if they fixed the download between the first time I downloaded it or the second time I downloaded it or if some other weird mystical combination kept it from happening again. None of the other magazines had formatting problems like that.

GonadTheBallbarian
Jul 23, 2007

stormrider posted:

Anyone else find the unboxing completely frustration free and not at all difficult? I mean the videos online were funny, but definitely make me think less of the people than the product.

There were a couple good rebuttal videos to the montage. I also found it to be very standard; if I recall correctly, this wasn't the first tablet to have this sort of packaging.

Super-NintendoUser
Jan 16, 2004

COWABUNGERDER COMPADRES
Soiled Meat

Gravitom posted:

OK Cupid doesn't work. It also took them a few weeks to get working on the Galaxy Nexus. Those guys are slackers.

I meant after you modify the DPI settings.

I figured I'd try it, and it works pretty well. The only problem is that the font is a little small, but I set it to large in the display settings. The buttons are a little small, but I really like the tablet interface better. Especially the notification shade, it's so much better, and the quick settings are nice. I'll see if there's any market incompatibilities, but I haven't ran into any yet.

Super-NintendoUser fucked around with this message at 03:46 on Jul 18, 2012

Genderfluid
Jun 18, 2009

my mom is a slut
I am in love with this thing

rock2much
Feb 6, 2004

Grimey Drawer
What note-taking app are you guys using? Occasionally I need to do this at work and I've been using AK Notepad, but I was thinking about just using Google Docs/Drive.
Also in love with this Nexus 7.

Genderfluid
Jun 18, 2009

my mom is a slut
Any recommended media players? I've got a 720p mkv on my computer that I want to try out on the 7

GonadTheBallbarian
Jul 23, 2007

Genderfluid posted:

Any recommended media players? I've got a 720p mkv on my computer that I want to try out on the 7

MoboPlayer offers .mkv support, but there are a few media players out there, some free.

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

...the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt. —Bertrand Russell

rock2much posted:

What note-taking app are you guys using? Occasionally I need to do this at work and I've been using AK Notepad, but I was thinking about just using Google Docs/Drive.
Also in love with this Nexus 7.

Evernote.

Squatch Ambassador
Nov 12, 2008

What? Never seen a shaved Squatch before?
So does the $25 credit for the Nexus 7 only redeemable for the account it was ordered from? I'm selling the 8gb one they wouldn't let me cancel, and I'd like to pass it on if possible.

Also:

So much for 2 day shipping.:canada: Not that I actually expected it to actually be 2 day shipping to Canada.

Dr. Despair
Nov 4, 2009

39 perfect posts with each roll.

Genderfluid posted:

MX Player is great.

shodanjr_gr
Nov 20, 2007
This thing is definetely worth the $250. Can't wait to see Apple's response (if any).

And honestly Google Now wipes the floor with Sirii.

Now I gotta find a nice keyboard case for it.

What's a decent .docx viewer for android?

General_Failure
Apr 17, 2005

Mr. Despair posted:

MX Player is great.

Seconded. just using the freebie version on a couple of phones and the Elf II and it works really well.

On the Elf it can play an HD MKV without issue including me being cruel to it by pinch zooming in and out like a spacker while it's playing. As you may have guessed it supports pinch zoom, swiping left and right to track through the video, vertical depending on which side of the screen controls volume and brightness.
It also does a pretty good job of finding all the videos on a device. For $0 it's worth a try.

IT Guy
Jan 12, 2010

You people drink like you don't want to live!

shodanjr_gr posted:

What's a decent .docx viewer for android?

I picked this up when it went on sale for cheap: https://play.google.com/store/apps/...2lzdGVyZWQiXQ..

works really good but it's expensive when not on sale.

shodanjr_gr
Nov 20, 2007

IT Guy posted:

I picked this up when it went on sale for cheap: https://play.google.com/store/apps/...2lzdGVyZWQiXQ..

works really good but it's expensive when not on sale.

Actually android has a built-in one that seems to work relatively well with my files...

Genderfluid
Jun 18, 2009

my mom is a slut

Mr. Despair posted:

MX Player is great.

I just tried it out, and the mkv i was using would only play sound using software encoding, which was noticeably lower quality. I tried vplayer and it worked perfectly. Was 2 bux, but hey i have $25 of store credit

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

Battery life is living up to the hype as well. I've been using the poo poo out of this thing tonight. Right now I'm sitting at almost 4 hour screen on time and I've downloaded about 2.5 GB of applications (as well as installed all of them) and I'm sitting at 45% battery remaining.

Once I finish up all setup tasks and fall into normal use patterns, this thing is going to last forever on a charge.

atomicvocabulary
Oct 21, 2002

Say hello to the sunrise for me...
I can't figure out how to make chrome obey the screen rotation. Seems to only want to be in portrait. Speaking of chrome I was really hoping when they said it was a desktop version of chrome that it actually would be, maybe I misread. But sites are still defaulting to mobile even after I request the desktop.

YouTube stops playing as well when I shift tabs, but then again the videos only seems to be able to display mobile no matter what I do.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

atomicvocabulary posted:

I can't figure out how to make chrome obey the screen rotation. Seems to only want to be in portrait. Speaking of chrome I was really hoping when they said it was a desktop version of chrome that it actually would be, maybe I misread. But sites are still defaulting to mobile even after I request the desktop.

YouTube stops playing as well when I shift tabs, but then again the videos only seems to be able to display mobile no matter what I do.

Orientation lock is on by default. Pull down the notification shade and hit the icon between the date and settings.

As an aside, I highly recommend the aquarium life wallpaper on the Nexus 7.

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=fishnoodle.aquarium_free

It works perfectly with no performance impact and looks great on the high DPI screen.

bull3964 fucked around with this message at 06:38 on Jul 18, 2012

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

I have one complaint about this Nexus7.
It makes the screen on my GNexus seem tiny. :(

Had to login to google drive on both devices, and going from landscape typing on the 7 to portrait on the galaxy was really really painful.