Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
lunar detritus
May 6, 2009

Karthe posted:

Having come over from iOS-ville, I'm used to individual app icons being able to have badges displaying a number corresponding with things like unread messages, podcasts downloaded, etc... Does this convention exist in Android? I ask because there doesn't seem to be a way to get the standard Gmail icon on the home screen to display an unread message count. I even had to add an entirely separate icon-sized widget to the home screen to get an unread newsfeed count for Google Reader.

I just want to tailor my expectations for a new OS.

It depends on the launcher. Go Launcher EX has "GO Launcher EX Notification", ADW has ADWNotifier, Nova Launcher has TeslaUnread, etc.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

IAmKale
Jun 7, 2007

やらないか

Fun Shoe

gmq posted:

It depends on the launcher. Go Launcher EX has "GO Launcher EX Notification", ADW has ADWNotifier, Nova Launcher has TeslaUnread, etc.
Ah, so it's up to the launcher. I guess the stock JB launcher doesn't support anything like that?

butt dickus
Jul 7, 2007

top ten juiced up coaches
and the top ten juiced up players

Karthe posted:

Ah, so it's up to the launcher. I guess the stock JB launcher doesn't support anything like that?
Every launcher that supports it does through unconventional means. Some applications come with widgets that can display information like you want, but that's up to the developer.

ante
Apr 9, 2005

SUNSHINE AND RAINBOWS
Any particular reason my gmail has stopped updating/notifying me when I get new mail since I upgraded to ICS? Google tells me to go into the account prefs and enable it, but it's already enabled, always has been.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Karthe posted:

I even had to add an entirely separate icon-sized widget to the home screen to get an unread newsfeed count for Google Reader.

That's what widgets are for. Dynamic information.

That said, yeah, some custom launchers have the ability to put update numbers over common apps like gmail.

uapyro
Jan 13, 2005

Doctor rear end in a top hat posted:

Every launcher that supports it does through unconventional means. Some applications come with widgets that can display information like you want, but that's up to the developer.

Doesn't Apex do this without another App installed? I thought I remember seeing a number over some Google icon in the past

Lizard Combatant
Sep 29, 2010

I have some notes.
Anyone else having serious problems deleting letters/words with the swype beta? Every time I backspace it auto corrects and the cursor freaks out and jumps all over the place.

e: the forums are blaming chrome... and just when I was really starting to like chrome.

Lizard Combatant fucked around with this message at 07:07 on Jul 18, 2012

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

Lizard Combatant posted:

Anyone else having serious problems deleting letters/words with the swype beta? Every time I backspace it auto corrects and the cursor freaks out and jumps all over the place.

e: the forums are blaming chrome... and just when I was really starting to like chrome.
It's always done that in a browser which is why we're all using Awful Betamax.

Lizard Combatant
Sep 29, 2010

I have some notes.

LastInLine posted:

It's always done that in a browser which is why we're all using Awful Betamax.

Ai, very slick. Love the code feature.

vonManstein
Nov 5, 2006

uapyro posted:

Doesn't Apex do this without another App installed? I thought I remember seeing a number over some Google icon in the past

Yup, it's under the advanced settings of Apex, you can set missed call count, unread SMS count, and unread Gmail count and which are the associated apps, but not anything else (i.e. podcast downloads, new tweets, etc.).

Apex is pretty great, haven't tried Nova though, only Trebuchet.

Rye Bread
Nov 8, 2005
:razz:

Rye Bread posted:

My gf tried to download an image from the Facebook app. It's stuck in the notification shade, constantly trying to download. I've tried force stopping FB, rebooting, battery pull.. No luck, can't get it to stop. Any suggestions?

It's a rooted VZW GNex on 4.0.4 if it makes any difference.

My gf just remembered that she actually got the image via gmail. It's still stuck up there. Doesn't seem to be affecting battery life.

Shanakin
Mar 26, 2010

The whole point of stats are lost if you keep it a secret. Why Didn't you tell the world eh?

LastInLine posted:

That said anyone upset about the notification that's only there when you're typing is just sperging over nothing. It's far better than the old undiscoverable longpress method.

Long press was way more convenient in my opinion and so the draw seems like a down-grade to me, but it's obviously a lot more intuitive for new users and such and it doesn't take up enough extra time to really complain about extensively. As someone who changes keyboards a lot, it just feels like a hassle. That's just my entirely subjective experience however.

Aatrek
Jul 19, 2004

by Fistgrrl

Yikes A Zombie! posted:

Plume reads RSS feeds?

Crap, no - I meant Pulse.

Vykk.Draygo
Jan 17, 2004

I say salesmen and women of the world unite!

ante posted:

Any particular reason my gmail has stopped updating/notifying me when I get new mail since I upgraded to ICS? Google tells me to go into the account prefs and enable it, but it's already enabled, always has been.

Somebody else posted about this yesterday either in here or the general Android thread. I believe the fix was to uninstall the latest Gmail update.

Splizwarf
Jun 15, 2007
It's like there's a soup can in front of me!

ante posted:

Vykk.Draygo posted:

Somebody else posted about this yesterday either in here or the general Android thread. I believe the fix was to uninstall the latest Gmail update.

That was me in the phone thread; whatever the Gmail update was over the weekend, it broke notifications for me. Roll it back to fix.

ante
Apr 9, 2005

SUNSHINE AND RAINBOWS
It's been doing that for a couple weeks, but I'll try that anyway, thanks.

rotaryfun
Jun 30, 2008

you can be my wingman anytime

Karthe posted:

Having come over from iOS-ville, I'm used to individual app icons being able to have badges displaying a number corresponding with things like unread messages, podcasts downloaded, etc... Does this convention exist in Android? I ask because there doesn't seem to be a way to get the standard Gmail icon on the home screen to display an unread message count. I even had to add an entirely separate icon-sized widget to the home screen to get an unread newsfeed count for Google Reader.

Not provided as a "stock" option but there are many available options in the store
this one is free and will do sms/phone/gmail
https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.kanokgems.smswidget

paid option
https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=se.alexanderblom.gmailunreadcount2

rotaryfun fucked around with this message at 14:29 on Jul 18, 2012

Splizwarf
Jun 15, 2007
It's like there's a soup can in front of me!

General_Failure posted:

I've been searching in vain for an outlining program like BrainForest Pro on PalmOS but for Android. Does anyone know of one? It was really useful to me and I've yet to find anything for Android that compares.

You might like Evernote or MindJet depending on what you specifically like about BrainForest.

IT Guy
Jan 12, 2010

You people drink like you don't want to live!
Before I buy a book on the Play Store, does anyone know if I can download it or extract it from my device in epub format or is is basically locked to my Google account?

I might just spend the extra $5 to buy the epub format from a third party if so.

Manky
Mar 20, 2007

Fun Shoe

IT Guy posted:

Before I buy a book on the Play Store, does anyone know if I can download it or extract it from my device in epub format or is is basically locked to my Google account?

I might just spend the extra $5 to buy the epub format from a third party if so.

I don't know if it's every book, and it probably varies by publisher, but you should be able to go to books.google.com in your browser and you'll see this in your library:

Click here to view the full image

Looks like it uses Adobe DRM.

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?

Manky posted:

I'm afraid I haven't been privileged enough to ever use JB, but on my device with cm9 it is settings - display - sleep (2 minutes of activity). If it's not there, I hope someone else can help you out

That only affects when the OS turns the screen off though, right? Not the dimming that happens a few seconds prior?

IT Guy
Jan 12, 2010

You people drink like you don't want to live!

Manky posted:

I don't know if it's every book, and it probably varies by publisher, but you should be able to go to books.google.com in your browser and you'll see this in your library:

Click here to view the full image

Looks like it uses Adobe DRM.

Oh nice, thanks.

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?
Has anyone had any luck with PocketCast's lockscreen controls on ICS or Jelly Bean? Or using the widget via WidgetLocker? I used WL on ICS because it worked great on GB, but the widget was so flakey - play/pause worked maybe half the time, and rewind/fast-forward worked occasionally. On JB (Verizon GNex), the lockscreen controls don't respond to anything. I've emailed the developer about the widget, but didn't get a response (a couple months ago). I suppose I could try emailing again, and include the lockscreen controls in my complaint, but it'd be nice to know if anyone else is seeing the same issues I am.

Manky
Mar 20, 2007

Fun Shoe

hooah posted:

That only affects when the OS turns the screen off though, right? Not the dimming that happens a few seconds prior?

Yes, I believe that's right.

Syrinxx
Mar 28, 2002

Death is whimsical today

Aatrek posted:

Crap, no - I meant Pulse.
Well you helped me discover Plume as well so thanks :cool:

Jensen
Jun 4, 2006

hooah posted:

Has anyone had any luck with PocketCast's lockscreen controls on ICS or Jelly Bean? Or using the widget via WidgetLocker? I used WL on ICS because it worked great on GB, but the widget was so flakey - play/pause worked maybe half the time, and rewind/fast-forward worked occasionally. On JB (Verizon GNex), the lockscreen controls don't respond to anything. I've emailed the developer about the widget, but didn't get a response (a couple months ago). I suppose I could try emailing again, and include the lockscreen controls in my complaint, but it'd be nice to know if anyone else is seeing the same issues I am.

The lockscreen controls work fine on ICS. The Widget however is pretty buggy. It generally works OK if you already have a podcast loaded and playing, but if the main app has gotten kicked out of memory it doesn't seem to work correctly. Spotify has this same problem - GMusic doesn't.

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

...the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt. —Bertrand Russell

Jensen posted:

The lockscreen controls work fine on ICS.

They also work fine on JB.

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?

Thermopyle posted:

They also work fine on JB.

I wonder what both of you are doing differently than I am. I think I only tried the lock screen controls once on ICS and wasn't happy with them (or perhaps just missed Widgetlocker?), but I can't get them to respond at all on JB. Perhaps it's because I'm using a 3rd party ROM?

Maker Of Shoes
Sep 4, 2006

AWWWW YISSSSSSSSSS
DIS IS MAH JAM!!!!!!

hooah posted:

I wonder what both of you are doing differently than I am. I think I only tried the lock screen controls once on ICS and wasn't happy with them (or perhaps just missed Widgetlocker?), but I can't get them to respond at all on JB. Perhaps it's because I'm using a 3rd party ROM?

Try reinstalling and blowing away any folder/data its created. Stock lockscreen controls have been fine for me with PC on both ICS and JB. Their widget is poo poo though. Never works right.

chizad
Jul 9, 2001

'Cus we find ourselves in the same old mess
Singin' drunken lullabies
What's the best app to use for recreating the "quiet hours" feature in CyanogenMod?
I know I could do it with Tasker or Setting Profiles or the like, but those are way overkill for my needs. All I need is something that will let me silence text/email/etc notifications but still allow my phone ringtone. And if I can restrict the phone ringtone to just calls from certain people, that's even better, but that's a want more than a need since I wasn't able to in CM7.

Ragingsheep
Nov 7, 2009
Use Llama. https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.kebab.Llama

highme
May 25, 2001

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

ante posted:

It's been doing that for a couple weeks, but I'll try that anyway, thanks.

I had that problem. Search my posts in this thread for my convoluted solution.

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

chizad posted:

What's the best app to use for recreating the "quiet hours" feature in CyanogenMod?
I know I could do it with Tasker or Setting Profiles or the like, but those are way overkill for my needs. All I need is something that will let me silence text/email/etc notifications but still allow my phone ringtone. And if I can restrict the phone ringtone to just calls from certain people, that's even better, but that's a want more than a need since I wasn't able to in CM7.

Sound Manager v2 is pretty much exactly what you are looking for.

Beeb
Jun 29, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 15 days!
Hopefully this is the right thread and I know it's a ridiculous shot in the dark, but does anyone know where I can get ahold of this theme for GoLauncher? It's been removed from the market:

http://www.androidzoom.com/android_themes/wallpapers/deus-ex-hr-go-launcher-ex_bhmta.html

I really miss my pretty black and gold icons, but that theme was on my Desire and now I've got an S3 with no apparent way of transferring the theme to the new phone :(

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

Capn Beeb posted:

Hopefully this is the right thread and I know it's a ridiculous shot in the dark, but does anyone know where I can get ahold of this theme for GoLauncher? It's been removed from the market:

http://www.androidzoom.com/android_themes/wallpapers/deus-ex-hr-go-launcher-ex_bhmta.html

I really miss my pretty black and gold icons, but that theme was on my Desire and now I've got an S3 with no apparent way of transferring the theme to the new phone :(
Well no other way except copying it.

TwystNeko
Dec 25, 2004

*ya~~wn*
So I've been playing with my new Nexus 7, and I rather like some of the prepackaged widgets - the Google Books widget in particular. Sadly, I have no way of sideloading my plethora of books into Google Books, so it's going to go unused.

Is there any other similar book reader that has a widget like this? Aldiko was my go-to book app on my phone, but their idea of a widget is "link to a book directly". Not to mention it doesn't work properly yet, as there's no menu button in JB.

Any suggestions? Or is there even a way to make a widget in that style that doesn't involve learning Android programming?

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?
Where can I snag an apk of the browser from the I/O release of Jelly Bean? I just switched to Bugless Beast, but I prefer the old stock browser with the quick controls to Chrome.

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

hooah posted:

Where can I snag an apk of the browser from the I/O release of Jelly Bean? I just switched to Bugless Beast, but I prefer the old stock browser with the quick controls to Chrome.
Just grab it out of a stock ROM on xda, like this one.

I'll grab you mine in a few hours when I get home if you still need it.

Roundboy
Oct 21, 2008
Can anyone recommend a imgur upload app that lets me upload in bulk or use the share interface via gallery or similar?

My current go to: imgur for Android, seems to fail authentication, and others I tried lack the share option

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tirinal
Feb 5, 2007
Is there a youtube app that has all of the stock one's features but also:

1) Works with the screen off or in the background like God intended?

2) Allows automatic or manual switching to 4G for streaming (without switching over the rest of the phone) if the wifi network is slow as hell? I live in one of those weird countries that has youtube throttling over ISPs but not cellular networks.

• Locked thread