Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

duckfarts
Jul 2, 2010

~ shameful ~

Soiled Meat

TetsuoTW posted:

I don't think there are monthly ones, but you can get prepay accounts that cover both mobile and data. If you want all-you-can-eat data, though, you're going to need to get a contract.
You should be able to get an all you can eat plan fine on a month to month basis; contracts are for subsidized phones.

Blackberries last I remember are only supported here through roaming from another country, so unless you have a company footing the bill for you, probably not a good idea.

^^^ welp, try taiwan mobile then

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ravendas
Sep 29, 2001

My wife has a blackberry purchased here in Taiwan. From Taiwan dageda (Taiwan Mobile). I was looking at new phones last month, and they still offer them.

sub supau
Aug 28, 2007

duckfarts posted:

You should be able to get an all you can eat plan fine on a month to month basis; contracts are for subsidized phones.
If you've got any more info on this I'd be happy as hell to hear it, because prepay sucks rear end.

url posted:

PAYG isn't that kind to foreigners here ime. When I landed I had to get a friend to get a SIM card for me, and that didn't do data. I only tried a couple of places, but I think you'll find that to be the case.
Really? I got a prepay Zhonghua Telecom SIM by walking into 7-Eleven (I think) a few months back and it's fine for data. It's not cheap, but it works.

Spanish Matlock
Sep 6, 2004

If you want to play the I-didn't-know-this-was-a-hippo-bar game with me, that's fine.
I just got an HTC One S and all I can eat data plan for 15k. (2 year contract) I vouch for the fact that data in Taipei is loving awesome. I'm listening to The Bugle on it right now. While walking through the city. And possibly posting this message.

url
Apr 23, 2007

internet gnuru

TetsuoTW posted:

Really? I got a prepay Zhonghua Telecom SIM by walking into 7-Eleven (I think) a few months back and it's fine for data. It's not cheap, but it works.

Did they take your ARC # to do it.

For me, the issue was that I was a foreigner, and we were told they are not supposed to hand out PAYG sims to prevent the money laundering/general crime/potential for massive bills going unpaid etc etc.

But yeah, with an ARC there is no issue.

sub supau
Aug 28, 2007

Oh yeah, with an ARC. I keep forgetting that's a thing.

Ravendas
Sep 29, 2001

Spanish Matlock posted:

I just got an HTC One S and all I can eat data plan for 15k. (2 year contract) I vouch for the fact that data in Taipei is loving awesome. I'm listening to The Bugle on it right now. While walking through the city. And possibly posting this message.

I got the One X a month or two ago, all you can eat data and whatnot. I think I paid like 7k for the phone, and 1300 a month or something for the plan. I didn't have to prepay the whole thing because I've had an account with them forever, but they'd make my wife pay a full year up front if she wanted the same thing. I even asked if I could have a 2nd number on my account and get the same deal I just got, but they said it goes by phone number, not account, as far as trustworthiness goes.

All this from Taiwan Dageda (Mobile).

POCKET CHOMP
Jul 20, 2003

me irl.
Is there any reason you keep calling them Taiwan Dageda (Mobile) rather than just calling them, y'know, their English name, Taiwan Mobile? For some reason that really stuck out to me in your last two posts, haha.

Spanish Matlock
Sep 6, 2004

If you want to play the I-didn't-know-this-was-a-hippo-bar game with me, that's fine.
I didn't know they had another name besides dageda until this thread.

Ravendas
Sep 29, 2001

Spanish Matlock posted:

I didn't know they had another name besides dageda until this thread.

That's why. I've never heard anyone call them Taiwan Mobile outside of this thread.

duckfarts
Jul 2, 2010

~ shameful ~

Soiled Meat
The name Dageda is pretty funny as it is, from what I hear. The story goes that in the early days of mobile phones, 1) only gangsters had mobile phones, and 2) phones were huge, so Dageda is slang for mobile phones because it means "Big bro's big (thing, IE phone)".

sub supau
Aug 28, 2007

Yeah, IIRC the term started in Hong Kong triad society and migrated out from there.

e: Huh, if Wikipedia is to be believed we're both wrong. Courtesy of Chinese-language Wikipedia:

quote:

In the late 1980s-early 1990s, mobile phones began to be referred to as "dageda". The supposed origin of this term is kung-fu movie star Sammo Hung. Hung was the first person in the Hong Kong movie industry to have a mobile phone, and he was known within the industry as "dageda" (Jackie Chan was referred to as "dage", big brother, and since Hung was Chan's 師兄 (senior fellow student of kung-fu), he was called "dageda", bigger big brother), hence mobile phones becoming known as "dageda." This term later spread to mainland China and Taiwan, and in Taiwan today the term "dageda" often refers to an early-generation mobile phone, while in China it specifically refers to the huge old phones.

That does make a bunch of sense though - I know I heard all cellphones referred to as dageda as the most common term in HK in the late 90s, but since coming to Taiwan I've really not heard it much outside Taiwan Mobile's name.

Ailumao
Nov 4, 2004

I have never heard that term in the mainland. Though, these days 爱风 is the hip new thing.

url
Apr 23, 2007

internet gnuru

Ravendas posted:

I got the One X
All this from Taiwan Dageda (Mobile).

Sup OneX bro

sub supau
Aug 28, 2007

Magna Kaser posted:

I have never heard that term in the mainland. Though, these days 爱风 is the hip new thing.
Well yeah, from that I got the impression dageda specifically would be to refer to the old 磚頭 phones, the hilariously huge 1980s phones, so I can see why no-one would ever mention them in the 21st century.

Ravendas
Sep 29, 2001

url posted:

Sup OneX bro

Wishing the google store worked in Taiwan. Can't purchase stuff here.

Also wishing the camera wasn't messed up, I need to take it back. The left side of the pictures have weird coloring. Besides that though, loving it and it's hand melting awesomeness.

sub supau
Aug 28, 2007

Ravendas posted:

hand melting awesomeness.
Yeah too true, that thing gets hot as balls if you actually use it.

Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
fiddly digits, itchy britches
I love you all

You can take that that simplified nonsense and go straight to Mao-ist hell. :colbert:

url
Apr 23, 2007

internet gnuru
I got two yellow spots turn up on mine just the past week or so, it's a p common thing to happen with new screen manufacturing processes - iPhones had it the past couple of generations on their release too iirc.

As regards the funky stuff re the camera, i thought a firmware update had taken care of all that? My camera has been okay, though it's not a thing I use alot tbh.

I run mine pretty hard all day 24/7 and the heat hasn't really surprised me at all, I had a HD2 before this, and it was comparable - though, I was running that as hard as i do the One X. I do love this phone though - I was expecting Android to be alot worse than I've found it. I didn't even flash the firmware on this yet. I was expecting to have to flash it almost immediately after boot - but so far I've not had to.

I'll not put up with the constant stream of adverts for much longer though. That poo poo is garbage, and despite an unlimited data plan, gently caress that noise.

As regards the google store, I thought that changed this week?
If not, can you not grab the file elsewhere, and dump them on using the synch thingy?

/should_have_posted_in_a_phone_thread

sub supau
Aug 28, 2007

One of the joys of Android is that it's real easy to get apps through alternative channels. I haven't actually tried the Amazon app store yet, but yeah, if you can find the app you're after elsewhere, you can just load it on and go, although you might need something like Easy Installer. At least you did back on 2.2, dunno about 4. Haven't really tried since upgrading.

Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
I love you all

url posted:

As regards the google store, I thought that changed this week?

Wait, what?

sub supau
Aug 28, 2007

Yeah no. I just tried buying the full version of an app and it still says "This item is not available in your country."

Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
I love you all
I went straight to my tablet and I still don't have access to any paid apps. I can't find any English language news articles about it either.

Ravendas
Sep 29, 2001

Haraksha posted:

I went straight to my tablet and I still don't have access to any paid apps. I can't find any English language news articles about it either.

Something about Taiwan demanding Google do something about refunds, and Google just said "Welp, nope", so it can't do business in Taiwan or somesuch.

Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
I love you all
I know why Google Play purchases have been banned. url made it seem like the ban was ending this week, but nothing has changed on my tablet and I can't find any news stories that say anything like that.

Ailumao
Nov 4, 2004

Haraksha posted:

You can take that that simplified nonsense and go straight to Mao-ist hell. :colbert:

A lot of my Taiwanese friends say this then go writing the Japanese の's in lieu of 的's

:ironicat:

Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
I love you all

Magna Kaser posted:

A lot of my Taiwanese friends say this then go writing the Japanese の's in lieu of 的's

That actually makes sense given the island's Japanese heritage.

url
Apr 23, 2007

internet gnuru

TetsuoTW posted:

One of the joys of Android is that it's real easy to get apps through alternative channels. I haven't actually tried the Amazon app store yet, but yeah, if you can find the app you're after elsewhere, you can just load it on and go, although you might need something like Easy Installer. At least you did back on 2.2, dunno about 4. Haven't really tried since upgrading.

this too.

yeah usually i grab what i need from other sources (usenet) and install using the HTC Sync thingy.

Sorry Haraksha, it might have been navigation or something that Google changed in Taiwan. If not Play or Navigation they did change something but meh, too lazy too look.

sub supau
Aug 28, 2007

Magna Kaser posted:

I'm OK with that, given that Japan did run the place for 50 years and also aren't threatening to wipe us off the face of the Earth on a regular basis.

duckfarts
Jul 2, 2010

~ shameful ~

Soiled Meat
Asked a friend about the "can start an all you can eat 'net mobile plan without contract" thing, and they said "probably not", so whoops, I was wrong. Sucks to be you guys!

On the other hand, if you complete a contract, you can continue with the plan on a month to month basis if you want, just don't get another subsidized phone + contract setup.

Also, went to Ed's Diner for BBQ(it's a BBQ hut, and not really a "diner") yesterday, and it was pretty boss. It's western-style BBQ, prices were decent, and their spicy BBQ sauce has good heat(vs spicy). Best of all, their prices aren't jacked up and the portion size was decent. Anybody know any other good BBQ places, hopefully in Taipei?

url
Apr 23, 2007

internet gnuru
I am definitely gonna head back there to try some pulled pork.
The BBQ chicken burger was great, but I've never had pulled pork, and I hear so many good things about it - I just gotta find out.

Ailumao
Nov 4, 2004

TetsuoTW posted:

I'm OK with that, given that Japan did run the place for 50 years and also aren't threatening to wipe us off the face of the Earth on a regular basis.

But but but traditional :china: culture!

Also that simplification schemes were discussed as early as the Qing Dynasty and first carried out when Sun Yat-Sen and the 国民党 were in charge.

sub supau
Aug 28, 2007

What does that have to do with Taiwan? Taiwan was part of Japan when Sun was in charge.

sub supau fucked around with this message at 06:42 on Jul 19, 2012

url
Apr 23, 2007

internet gnuru
off topic:

I picked my Chinese name based on Sun Yat Sen's

:D

Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
I love you all
I spent my first year telling everyone my name was Qin Shi Huang.

url
Apr 23, 2007

internet gnuru

Haraksha posted:

I spent my first year telling everyone my name was Qin Shi Huang.

ha, gj.

Ravendas
Sep 29, 2001

My Chinese name is my new legal alias here in Taiwan. I have an AKA!

Needed a Chinese name to get married here, so it was just part of that process.

Edit: Named after one of Confucius's students, and Cao Cao. Kinda.

POCKET CHOMP
Jul 20, 2003

me irl.
Don't you need to have a Chinese name to get an ARC and stuff? That's what my boss told me when I first got here, so I just had to pick something.

Actually, I share a name with one of the first whities who visited China, so my girlfriend at the time just copied his name, which is just a...what do you call the opposite of romanization?...version of my name in Chinese. Of course, since it dates back hundreds of years ago, it's kind of a lovely translation from English to Chinese, but whatever, it's a good conversation starter, mostly because people think it's a really weird name.

Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
I love you all
You do not need a Chinese name to get an ARC. My ARC, motorcycle license, and car license all have English names on them, as does my bank account. The only thing I think you have to have a Chinese name for is a bank account at the post office.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

POCKET CHOMP
Jul 20, 2003

me irl.
Weird. I dunno, all that stuff for me has both the English and the Chinese. Actually my bank account at the post office also has both. The only thing I can think of that has Chinese-only is my Health Insurance card.

But yeah come to think of it I guess when filling out the tax forms or something I never had to write down any Chinese name so I guess it makes sense that it's not required. No idea why my first boss told me it was.