Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.
Yes, every version is region locked, with the rationale that they're making the effort to release in every region ASAP so they want people to buy the game locally in order to justify Atlus' efforts, or something.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Black Mage Knight
Jan 25, 2012

stop biting my cape

PaletteSwappedNinja posted:

Yes, every version is region locked, with the rationale that they're making the effort to release in every region ASAP so they want people to buy the game locally in order to justify Atlus' efforts, or something.

More specifically, it's because in Japan the way the market works is that it only cares about Japanese sales thus encouraging companies to not care about a global market, and for the overseas market they want people to buy local copies because it shows more support for each regions publisher, and thus makes the publisher more willing to publish their games.

TheArchimage
Dec 17, 2008

Black Mage Knight posted:

More specifically, it's because in Japan the way the market works is that it only cares about Japanese sales thus encouraging companies to not care about a global market, and for the overseas market they want people to buy local copies because it shows more support for each regions publisher, and thus makes the publisher more willing to publish their games.

Considering Atlus has always been a company which survives on niche titles (even their big games like P3/4 and SMT: Nocturne are only blockbusters relatively, and when you take their yearly lineup in aggregate I'm pretty sure those are significant outliers), this makes some amount of sense. I'm not thrilled with the idea in the least; I don't import, but even if I usually don't telling me I can't does rankle. But I can see why Atlus of all companies would be the one to try and break the trend of region-free games.

ConanThe3rd
Mar 27, 2009

TheArchimage posted:

Considering Atlus has always been a company which survives on niche titles (even their big games like P3/4 and SMT: Nocturne are only blockbusters relatively, and when you take their yearly lineup in aggregate I'm pretty sure those are significant outliers), this makes some amount of sense. I'm not thrilled with the idea in the least; I don't import, but even if I usually don't telling me I can't does rankle. But I can see why Atlus of all companies would be the one to try and break the trend of region-free games.

Conversely, would you want the dubious title of "Those fucks who region locked the PS3" when your goal is to sell Niche titles to the most people?
Title A is in Direct opposition of Goal B here.

SMT, EO, Trauma Centre and Persona are all great series but I'm pretty sure telling a third of the world that they're SOL the moment the next one comes out regardless of which platform it eventually takes roost on is a pretty good way of scaring those customers into the arms of a competitor who have an active European market strategy like NIS and not one that's content in flinging the title randomly in the air and hopping some European publisher will catch it a year later.

Seriously if the story was "Game's delayed (in the US) a few months, sorry" this whole sordid tale would have been over with already.

ConanThe3rd fucked around with this message at 07:42 on Jul 17, 2012

Stelas
Sep 6, 2010

TheArchimage posted:

But I can see why Atlus of all companies would be the one to try and break the trend of region-free games.

On the other hand, a solid chunk of their catalogue - PSP especially - simply doesn't get released in Europe, or gets released so late that it's pointless to actually pick up the game locally if you ever wanted to play with friends. (See every version of Blazblue, pretty much.) Most of the time they love importing, because it'll get them a fair amount of extra sales that they otherwise simply wouldn't see. They've said as much and been very import-friendly in the past.

If P4A does get a timely release it obviously won't fall into that category, but the companies bringing it over don't have the best reputation for being on time and either way there's a real chance people will think twice in the future.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
I'm aggressively wrong about everything!
Really Europe's best hope is that the local publishers have more than normal riding on this. Dealing with a bigger company and franchise than they normally do, and this whole region-locking debacle, might actually kick them into gear and releasing in anything resembling a reasonable timeframe.

Or it'll get them stuck in meeting rooms puzzling over what to do about this and they'll release even later than they would have, but if they do that then we won't really see any appreciable difference.

TheArchimage
Dec 17, 2008

ConanThe3rd posted:

Conversely, would you want the dubious title of "Those fucks who region locked the PS3" when your goal is to sell Niche titles to the most people?
Title A is in Direct opposition of Goal B here.

SMT, EO, Trauma Centre and Persona are all great series but I'm pretty sure telling a third of the world that they're SOL the moment the next one comes out regardless of which platform it eventually takes roost on is a pretty good way of scaring those customers into the arms of a competitor who have an active European market strategy like NIS and not one that's content in flinging the title randomly in the air and hopping some European publisher will catch it a year later.

Stelas posted:

On the other hand, a solid chunk of their catalogue - PSP especially - simply doesn't get released in Europe, or gets released so late that it's pointless to actually pick up the game locally if you ever wanted to play with friends. (See every version of Blazblue, pretty much.) Most of the time they love importing, because it'll get them a fair amount of extra sales that they otherwise simply wouldn't see. They've said as much and been very import-friendly in the past.
Good points I had not considered. I was unaware Atlus had been relying on importers buying JP or US releases over localizing games in Europe in a timely manner (more correctly, I knew Europe gets screwed on timely game releases but I was unaware Atlus was worse than average in this regard). That does change things a bit.

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.

TheArchimage posted:

Good points I had not considered. I was unaware Atlus had been relying on importers buying JP or US releases over localizing games in Europe in a timely manner (more correctly, I knew Europe gets screwed on timely game releases but I was unaware Atlus was worse than average in this regard). That does change things a bit.

Again, the idea is that the region lock is a worthy tradeoff for a timely local release in all regions. If they don't deliver then yeah, it's a massive pain in the arse, but if this game sets a precedent for faster and more consistent worldwide releases then I don't see the problem.

Stelas
Sep 6, 2010

if this game sets a precedent for faster and more consistent worldwide releases then I don't see the problem.

I think it's still risky because at no point have they said 'if P4A works we'll start localising everything else and magically spring Atlus Europe into existence'. As far as I can tell this is all focusing on the differences between the US and the JP markets, leaving Europe as basically collateral damage. If no-one had picked it up for a European release we'd be SOL, just like we'd be SOL for many of Atlus' releases if they use the precedent of P4A's success to begin routinely region locking games.

Nickoten
Oct 16, 2005

Now there'll be some quiet in this town.
A small correction, but the OP lists Kanji's Throw description for the weak version of Cruel Attack. Also it might be worth pointing out that the D version of his standing command throw gives him invulnerability for a short moment as he waits before attempting to grab the enemy. Cool and informative otherwise!

ConanThe3rd
Mar 27, 2009

Again, the idea is that the region lock is a worthy trade-off for a timely local release in all regions. If they don't deliver then yeah, it's a massive pain in the arse, but if this game sets a precedent for faster and more consistent worldwide releases then I don't see the problem.

The problem is, beyond the tiniest squeaks of a fart regarding a release date, Zen (who really should be on top of this a lot more than they are) have said closest to gently caress all when in order not to make this a complete disaster, they really need to be within a month of the US release.

And with JoJo's Bizarre Adventure coming out digitally around the time the US release, I would begrudge no one who bought that as a placebo and in no short order told Zen (and by extension ATLUS) exactly where to shove it.

Asking for a reasonable release window for a game in Europe (or the ability to import it, failing that) is not entitlement (and is, frankly, expected in this day and age given we can transmit game of several gigabytes in size within a few hours) and to say as much reeks of "Let them eat cake".

ConanThe3rd fucked around with this message at 17:23 on Jul 17, 2012

LightningKimba
Nov 5, 2010

Unleashing my best...

LUMINARY UPPERCUT!!

Nickoten posted:

A small correction, but the OP lists Kanji's Throw description for the weak version of Cruel Attack. Also it might be worth pointing out that the D version of his standing command throw gives him invulnerability for a short moment as he waits before attempting to grab the enemy. Cool and informative otherwise!

Sorry about the typo on that info, I didn't mean to make an error like that man. Thanks fer pointin' it out though!

Also here:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9xdQM2vGO_k

heartcatcher
Oct 6, 2007

:patriot: woof :patriot:
Labrys's voice is not how I pictured it at all. Maybe it's similar to her Japanese voice but I haven't really seen videos with her. Oh well, everyone else seems fine.

Gwyrgyn Blood
Dec 17, 2002

Yes it's pretty much spot on to the Japanese voice.

ACES CURE PLANES
Oct 21, 2010

Speaking of Labrys, look at dat fuckin' armor.

That's the first time I've ever seen that move used. Cue thousands of scrubs whining about it having armor and being unblockable being 'totally unfair' and 'OP'. (This has already started.)

Gwyrgyn Blood
Dec 17, 2002

S-Alpha posted:

Speaking of Labrys, look at dat fuckin' armor.

That's the first time I've ever seen that move used. Cue thousands of scrubs whining about it having armor and being unblockable being 'totally unfair' and 'OP'. (This has already started.)

You don't see it much obviously because it's really terrible for the most part. It makes a good Moujuu replacement for combos if you are in Awakening mode though:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hUsRvaaEQv4#t=55s

PunkBoy
Aug 22, 2008

You wanna get through this?
I'm hoping for a "BIONIC ARRRM" moment with that move in a tournament.

Forest Thief Pud
Dec 26, 2011
You know, for all the talk of potential DLC characters, I'm surprised that Margaret keeps falling through the cracks. You could probably get a lot out of her stealing the current crop of physical supers, such as Godhand and Myraid Arrows, as special moves, and then give her a flight/hover ability to play around with as her primary gimmick.

My guess is the real thing that's holding Margaret back would be what she'd get as a Persona in Arena, since she really doesn't have one she can borrow like Elizabeth could. You could just go with the stand-by end-game physical persona of 4, Yoshitsune, and you'd get a free move as a super/mortal blow out of it too.

Or maybe I'm just thinking about things too hard.

LightningKimba
Nov 5, 2010

Unleashing my best...

LUMINARY UPPERCUT!!

Minor spoiler about a certain new navigator.

Gwyrgyn Blood
Dec 17, 2002

Here's the full list of SBO Qualifiers. Looks like a Kanji did make it.
http://www.dustloop.com/forums/content.php?403

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
I'm aggressively wrong about everything!

It is absolutely amazing what a proper hairstyle does for her.

zooted heh
Oct 16, 2005

str8 mercin burgers my nigga
I love the guilty gear series and I played it all the time with my buddies back in the day but I did not enjoy blaze blue. Here's hoping it feels like GG to me.

Cityinthesea
Aug 7, 2009

Cleretic posted:

It is absolutely amazing what a proper hairstyle does for her.

Here's hoping her voice acting isn't as weird as it was last time I guess.

PunkBoy
Aug 22, 2008

You wanna get through this?
She improved a lot in FES, so I would think so.

Evil Canadian
Sep 10, 2000

No one man should have all that Psycho-Power.

Of the cast who plays the footsies/lame defense game the best? From what I have seen offhand it would seem to be Mitsuru but I have not played the game so I can't really be sure of it.

Axle_Stukov
Feb 26, 2011

Stylin'

Cityinthesea posted:

Here's hoping her voice acting isn't as weird as it was last time I guess.

Her new lines in P3P were pretty good, she just had terrible directing in the initial PS2 version it seems. Also a clearer and full image of her new look - http://www.famitsu.com/images/000/018/215/l_5006b641ec95c.jpg

Gwyrgyn Blood
Dec 17, 2002

Evil Canadian posted:

Of the cast who plays the footsies/lame defense game the best? From what I have seen offhand it would seem to be Mitsuru but I have not played the game so I can't really be sure of it.

Mitsuru might work since she has some of the fastest and longest range normals in the game, but she doesn't really do defensive play at all.

Naoto is probably a good choice, she has some really good normals and she's got some solid zoning and keep away stuff. See previously posted keep away games against Kanji for a fairly extreme example: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gnO_oT-uApU

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
Can I get a recommendation of offensive-based characters with no gimmicks? I've been looking, but I don't think I can find a good idea of who I'd like to use with good speed and simplicity. I think Akihiko or Chie, but I can't be certain if those two are good choices for what I'm looking for.

Evil Canadian
Sep 10, 2000

Gwyrgyn Blood posted:

Mitsuru might work since she has some of the fastest and longest range normals in the game, but she doesn't really do defensive play at all.

Naoto is probably a good choice, she has some really good normals and she's got some solid zoning and keep away stuff. See previously posted keep away games against Kanji for a fairly extreme example: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gnO_oT-uApU

Hoom that does look alright, looks like old style Testament trap laying.

Are Mitsuru's dashpunches(for lack of better term) safe on block? Also can you easily combo off a poke with her?

ACES CURE PLANES
Oct 21, 2010

Sex_Ferguson posted:

Can I get a recommendation of offensive-based characters with no gimmicks? I've been looking, but I don't think I can find a good idea of who I'd like to use with good speed and simplicity. I think Akihiko or Chie, but I can't be certain if those two are good choices for what I'm looking for.

Akihiko has a dash cancel gimmick that powers up his moves in a combo, so he probably isn't for you. Yu is probably your best bet. And he's stupidly offensive. As opposed to offensively stupid. (Get hosed, Mitsuru.)

Really, though, if you want to go with an offense character, Mitsuru is probably your best bet. Very long pokes, stupid high damage, and really easy confirms. And a DP hitbox roughly the size of a city block. The only character who ranks above her consistently is Aigis, but she's much harder to play, even if she has better tools. (Unreactable mixups, for example.)

Gwyrgyn Blood
Dec 17, 2002

Sex_Ferguson posted:

Can I get a recommendation of offensive-based characters with no gimmicks? I've been looking, but I don't think I can find a good idea of who I'd like to use with good speed and simplicity. I think Akihiko or Chie, but I can't be sure of those two are good choices for what I'm looking for.

Depends on your definition of 'gimmicks' I guess, but Mitsuru, Yu, and Chie are all pretty ungimmicky. Yosuke might be good too if you want someone who focuses on speed, frame traps, and the like.

Akihiko has the tornado meter thing which you need to learn, it's not super complicated but it is important to his gameplan.

Evil Canadian posted:

Hoom that does look alright, looks like old style Testament trap laying.

Are Mitsuru's dashpunches(for lack of better term) safe on block? Also can you easily combo off a poke with her?

AFAIK yes they're completely safe on block. I've seen people Instant Block them and still not punish them. Part of what makes them so good is that you can delay them, so it's hard to even attempt to Instant Block them, must less beat them out with anything.

I can't say anything about 'easily', but you can definitely get combos off of pretty much all of her random pokes. Those dash punches on CH you can link into 5A for free for example. 2B anti-air leads into combos, 5A is mashmashmash, 5C has a million hits so it's really easy to confirm off of. Her D pulls you can combo off of (though these are a bit more specific).

You can also do really stupid poo poo like put down EX Bufu shield as oki then do instant j.B overheads, the Bufu holds them in place all day so you can easily get combos after it.

She also gets free combos off her throw in the corner, though I guess the timing on this is pretty hard? But the damage is good anyway.

S-Alpha posted:

Really, though, if you want to go with an offense character, Mitsuru is probably your best bet. Very long pokes, stupid high damage, and really easy confirms. And a DP hitbox roughly the size of a city block. The only character who ranks above her consistently is Aigis, but she's much harder to play, even if she has better tools. (Unreactable mixups, for example.)

Hey now, Mitsuru has unreactable mixups too!

ACES CURE PLANES
Oct 21, 2010

Gwyrgyn Blood posted:

-Mitsuru poo poo-

Godfuckingdammit. Well, okay then, you have that too. But less on the range front. (GET hosed MITSURU. :argh:)

Oh well, that just makes the uphill battle all that much more fun.

Evil Canadian
Sep 10, 2000

Gwyrgyn Blood posted:

AFAIK yes they're completely safe on block. I've seen people Instant Block them and still not punish them. Part of what makes them so good is that you can delay them, so it's hard to even attempt to Instant Block them, must less beat them out with anything.

I can't say anything about 'easily', but you can definitely get combos off of pretty much all of her random pokes. Those dash punches on CH you can link into 5A for free for example. 2B anti-air leads into combos, 5A is mashmashmash, 5C has a million hits so it's really easy to confirm off of. Her D pulls you can combo off of (though these are a bit more specific).

You can also do really stupid poo poo like put down EX Bufu shield as oki then do instant j.B overheads, the Bufu holds them in place all day so you can easily get combos after it.

She also gets free combos off her throw in the corner, though I guess the timing on this is pretty hard? But the damage is good anyway.

That all sounds excellent. I guess I should have been a tad more specific early but when I meant lame defense/footsies is that I love staying at max poke range and just harassing the hell out of someone and waiting for the opening. I know it is a bit different with Arcsys games but I had great success with that style of play with Litchi in BB.

There wouldn't happen to be any kind of video that just walks through all the characters normals would there? I have looked for something like this but have not found anything.

Gwyrgyn Blood
Dec 17, 2002

I haven't seen anything like that for all of the characters. There were some for the new characters (Labs/Liz/Shlabs) when they came out but I can't find any for the rest of the cast. Maybe if you are handy with Nico you might have some luck starting from here: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sAFJAJgPoUI

Those videos Atlus put out are really deceptive too because they only show off command specials, and a lot of normals in this game are what you'd think of as special moves in other fighting games.

The Grimace
Sep 18, 2005

Are you a BigMac of imbeciles!?

Axle_Stukov posted:

Her new lines in P3P were pretty good, she just had terrible directing in the initial PS2 version it seems. Also a clearer and full image of her new look - http://www.famitsu.com/images/000/018/215/l_5006b641ec95c.jpg

This is awesome. Now do Junpei and Yukari, Soejima! :neckbeard:

Latte Lottie
Oct 6, 2011

Getting 1st place is impossible...
I really can't get the desire for Yukari being in this. She bitches about having to fight constantly and pretty much continues to bitch for the entire game. Maybe it's just me but I think she's really boring and I only used her in P3 because she had healing spells.

If they can add a crap ton of characters I wouldn't really care. But if you look at Blazblu it went for 3 different versions and ended up adding 4 characters. That's over the course of 2 or 3 years, too. Make the DLC count, basically.

Gwyrgyn Blood
Dec 17, 2002

I'm not sure that many people here actually want Yukari in the game, just considering that she's a really likely choice to make it in. The characters I actually want in the game are... Ulala and Baofo, but that's never gonna happen.

Though as far as BlazBlue goes, I suspect a lot of their inability to crank out new characters might be related to the fact that they were developing Persona 4 at the same time. Of course, they might be working on another new fighting game already for all we know.

Cityinthesea
Aug 7, 2009
Yeah, I would definitely prefer some P2 characters, I don't think Tatsuya makes much sense after what happened in Eternal Punishment... I'd want Eikichi just for his weapon.

LightningKimba
Nov 5, 2010

Unleashing my best...

LUMINARY UPPERCUT!!

Gwyrgyn Blood posted:

Though as far as BlazBlue goes, I suspect a lot of their inability to crank out new characters might be related to the fact that they were developing Persona 4 at the same time. Of course, they might be working on another new fighting game already for all we know.

From what I've HEARD, it takes ArcSys a year to completely create a character, though I don't know how well "completely" means in this, whether it's by their sprite sets, or even including their VA work.

I'd also love to see Ulala and Baofu, since they're a power duo from EP, and having Japanese David Bowie would rock too. Junpei and Yukari are really what I considered easy picks for the game for how they're the first party members in P3, and also the fact that, well, they do get a lot of character growth their own way.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shadow Ninja 64
May 21, 2007

"I stood there, wondering why the puck was getting bigger...

and then it hit me."

I want the chill weed fox from the shrine as a playable character.

Seriously, though, I went ahead and jumped on that Newegg discount deal for this and then started watching some videos, and I gotta say the game has me somewhat more excited than I had expected. I'm definitely interested in giving the axe robot girl (both versions I guess) and Akihiko a try.

• Locked thread