Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Baron Patsy
Apr 9, 2006

I'M SPECIAL DAMMIT

mediaphage posted:

This guy is right.

I've never had a problem installing Windows from USB, either on an old Mac Mini, a 2010 Air, or the 2012 rMBP. I just make a USB drive prepped with the Windows USB tool from a Windows ISO file and then it's off to the races.

I don't think the problem is that macs across the board don't support it, just that the particular model I'm using doesn't support it. I've tried every single method that gets recommended online and none of them have allowed me to install windows via USB. further, it seems like every example I can find of people successfully installing windows via usb comes from someone using a different model, and many examples of people not finding success come from those with the model I'm using or similar.

trying this method now, have seen some comments from people with my exact model of MBP saying that it worked when none of the others did so hopefully this long and painful journey is nearing an end.

edit: realized I didn't say this anywhere in my posts, but I'm using a mid-2010 15" MBP.

Baron Patsy fucked around with this message at 00:03 on Jul 18, 2012

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Experto Crede
Aug 19, 2008

Keep on Truckin'

Baron Patsy posted:

I don't think the problem is that macs across the board don't support it, just that the particular model I'm using doesn't support it. I've tried every single method that gets recommended online and none of them have allowed me to install windows via USB.

trying this method now, have seen some comments from people with my exact model of MBP saying that it worked when none of the others did so hopefully this long and painful journey is nearing an end.

Which mac specifically? All macs have basically the same bootloader, there's no reason apple would arbitrarily not support USB booting on a single one.

Mercurius
May 4, 2004

Amp it up.

Experto Crede posted:

Which mac specifically? All macs have basically the same bootloader, there's no reason apple would arbitrarily not support USB booting on a single one.
Actually, the BootCamp assistant will only let you create bootable Windows USB sticks on Macs that don't have an optical drive (Mac Mini, MacBook Air and Retina MacBook Pro). I don't know if it does something strange to the boot stick, but I haven't been able to get a normal USB boot stick created with the Windows 7 USB DVD Download Tool to work on any of the Macs with optical drives that we have at work.

Having said that, you can create Lion/Mountain Lion boot sticks and they'll work on all Macs.

Experto Crede
Aug 19, 2008

Keep on Truckin'

Mercurius posted:

Actually, the BootCamp assistant will only let you create bootable Windows USB sticks on Macs that don't have an optical drive (Mac Mini, MacBook Air and Retina MacBook Pro). I don't know if it does something strange to the boot stick, but I haven't been able to get a normal USB boot stick created with the Windows 7 USB DVD Download Tool to work on any of the Macs with optical drives that we have at work.

Having said that, you can create Lion/Mountain Lion boot sticks and they'll work on all Macs.

Yeah, but they all support booting windows install from USB. On a 2006 Macbook, a 2006 iMac, a 2008 Mac Mini and a 2009 iMac, I've installed Windows via USB.

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Excuse me, pardon me, sheer perfection coming through

Experto Crede posted:

Yeah, but they all support booting windows install from USB. On a 2006 Macbook, a 2006 iMac, a 2008 Mac Mini and a 2009 iMac, I've installed Windows via USB.

FWIW, I've gotten it to work on a Mac Mini before they stripped out the ODD, too.

frrtbkr
Apr 25, 2004

Sonic Dude posted:

Apps ≠ menu extras.

Menu extras are from (unsurprisingly) .menuextra files, and are things like Wi-Fi, Sound, Time Machine, etc. Those can be command-dragged off of the menu bar.
Apps cannot be dragged off (unless they use a .menuextra to put themselves there). Most of the time, as Gordon Cole said, there's a setting to remove the icon in the app's preferences.

Bartender is free while in beta:
http://www.macbartender.com/

crazysim
May 23, 2004
I AM SOOOOO GAY
Believe me, I've tried for hours on end with many different drives on my Late 2007 Macbook. I've tried official instructions, reFit, whatever. I settled for virtualization in the end. There's this at least:

http://www.andrewsavory.com/blog/2011/2156

crazysim fucked around with this message at 00:35 on Jul 18, 2012

Nuntius
May 7, 2004

(not a fag)
I have an extra hard drive on my 2011 MBP rather than the optical disk (using an optibay) and when I tried to install windows 7 from USB, using all the tools around (like reFit etc) I came to the conclusion that apple intentionally disables the ability to do this. I spent maybe 3 days trying to do this, before giving in, reinstalling my SuperDrive, installing and then after swapping the optibay back in.

Time spent trying the USB method = 3 days
Time spent swapping hardware around and installing via DVD = 90 minutes

All I can suggest is that if you are still covered by AppleCare go get a new SuperDrive from them

zalmoxes
Sep 30, 2009

:eurovision:
I'm having a strange issue with my mom's laptop. Whenever I open a torrent file, the application crashes right away. (it just quits and pop's up a crash report). The app works fine as long as no torrents are active.

It was happening in uTorrent, so I thought it might be a problem with the app, removed it, deleted all the .plist files and installed Deluge instead. Same exact error, with .torrent files from different sources.

This is the crash log. http://pastebin.com/WD3avtz3 I can't really see any useful info but the laptop has been acting strange lately.
The laptop has been freezing frequently, so I thought it might be dusty and overheating and opened it up last weekend and cleaned it, but it didn't look too bad. I ran disk utility and verified/repaired permissions but nothing really helped. Torrent app crashing is just the latest annoyance. It's an old MBP from 2006 and I'm beginning to suspect it's a hardware issue, but I thought I'd ask here first.

I'm going to back it all up, run the Hardware Test and if I can't find anythign there, wipe the OS and start fresh.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Just wear the fucking mask, Bob

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

I'd try swapping out the RAM, but aren't both of those Torrent clients written in Python? Maybe you need a different or newer version, not sure if you'd have to install one from Homebrew or what.

Sonic Dude
May 6, 2009

frrtbkr posted:

Bartender is free while in beta:
http://www.macbartender.com/
Holy poo poo, that's awesome. I have at least 15 icons up there at work and it drives me mildly insane.

brap
Aug 23, 2004

Grimey Drawer
no, it's free *whilst* in beta.

Krakkles
May 5, 2003

fleshweasel posted:

I'll be the idiot, then. What's the difference?

All of my googling says the words are synonymous.

Pug Rodeo
Feb 20, 2007

BRING IT ON BRING IT ON YEAH

Krakkles posted:

I'll be the idiot, then. What's the difference?

All of my googling says the words are synonymous.

Pretty sure it's just a reference to how it's worded on their website.

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

R.I.P. Inter-OS Sass - b.2000AD d.2003AD
He's saying that it's free to try out for the period that it's in beta, not that if you join the beta program you will have a free licence for the full version.

Pissingintowind
Jul 27, 2006
Better than shitting into a fan.

Cockwhore posted:

I'll echo everything above, and say I haven't found a great tagging solution. I dropped some cash on Media Rage a while ago, but its interface ended up annoying me. It does do a good job of using regular expressions to tag music based on filenames, or rename files based on metadata. If I have a whole album with messed up tags, I've found MusicBrainz Picard, to do a good job of doing everything automatically. Most of the time, for small changes, I'll just use iTunes, and then when I'm done I'll right click on the songs with edited metadata and do "convert ID3 tags" to save the changes to the files, and not just iTunes' internal database.

As for conversion of FLAC to MP3 V0, I'll also second XLD, which is amazing.

Thanks for the tips guys... Ended up just installing Windows Mp3tag with WineBottler. Seems to work fine, and it's free!

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

I don't understand why I can't harass people online. Seriously, somebody please explain why I shouldn't be allowed to stalk others on social media!

fleshweasel posted:

It looks cool but I'm going to refuse to use it just because they said whilst.

kapalama
Aug 15, 2007

:siren:EVERYTHING I SAY ABOUT JAPAN OR LIVING IN JAPAN IS COMPLETELY WRONG, BUT YOU BETTER BELIEVE I'LL :spergin: ABOUT IT.:siren:

PLEASE ADD ME TO YOUR IGNORE LIST.

IF YOU SEE ME POST IN A JAPAN THREAD, PLEASE PM A MODERATOR SO THAT I CAN BE BANNED.

Pissingintowind posted:

Thanks for the tips guys... Ended up just installing Windows Mp3tag with WineBottler. Seems to work fine, and it's free!

If anyone ever gets TagNRename to work in a WineBottle, please say so. I miss that program like the desert misses the rain.

kapalama
Aug 15, 2007

:siren:EVERYTHING I SAY ABOUT JAPAN OR LIVING IN JAPAN IS COMPLETELY WRONG, BUT YOU BETTER BELIEVE I'LL :spergin: ABOUT IT.:siren:

IF YOU SEE ME POST IN A JAPAN THREAD, PLEASE PM A MODERATOR SO THAT I CAN BE BANNED.

Boris Galerkin posted:

We will be having clean menu bars whilst you will be sorry.

pipes!
Jul 10, 2001
Nap Ghost
As far as I'm concerned, the menu bar is holy ground, and you've got to have a drat good reason to stick your icon there. I'm OCD about it enough to the point where I actually redesign some of the icons so they're all consistently (de)colored, because, man, there's some ugly-rear end stuff out there.

8ender
Sep 24, 2003

clown is watching you sleep
i really appreciate that the dropbox menubar icon has a black and white option

Shmoogy
Mar 21, 2007

8ender posted:

i really appreciate that the dropbox menubar icon has a black and white option

How about that, it does-- thanks a lot for letting me know about it.

Catalyst-proof
May 11, 2011

better waste some time with you
I went on a rampage to clean up my menubar. As far as I'm concerned, Fantastical and the clock are the only icons that ever need to be on there, at least for a desktop. No volume icon (if I need to see what the volume is I can just use the keyboard keys), no Wi-fi (I'm either connected to the Internet or I'm not), no Bluetooth (though that doesn't stop OS X from putting it back when the batteries in a device start running low), no Dropbox (it'll let me know if it syncs, or is syncing, in Finder or with notifications). Before Fantastical it looked like it does in my sig:

ZeeBoi
Jan 17, 2001

All I have is f.lux, time machine, wireless and the clock. If an app offers to put an icon in the menu bar I never allow it to do so, or turn it off.

Irritated Goat
Mar 12, 2005

This post is pathetic.

ZeeBoi posted:

All I have is f.lux, time machine, wireless and the clock. If an app offers to put an icon in the menu bar I never allow it to do so, or turn it off.

I'm cleaning mine up too. I'm considering uninstalling apps just cause they only live in the menu bar and I don't necessarily need them.

Experto Crede
Aug 19, 2008

Keep on Truckin'
Calendar from the app store is a must for me. One thing I prefer in Windows 7 is how clicking the clock will show a calendar too.

duck monster
Dec 15, 2004

Boris Galerkin posted:

Why? Outside the US, whilst is a perfectly valid word.

lol internet.
Sep 4, 2007
the internet makes you stupid
Can anyone tell me the name of the emulator manager/front end which was in development?

Krakkles
May 5, 2003

duck monster posted:

It's actually a perfectly valid word inside the US, we just have a lot of retards who think they know better.

Wario In Real Life
Nov 9, 2009

by T. Finninho

duck monster posted:

It's perfectly valid everywhere, in certain contexts.

This is a computer software description, not an arousing work of prose.

It's perfectly valid to poke fun at the developers for using such wording.

pipes!
Jul 10, 2001
Nap Ghost

Experto Crede posted:

Calendar from the app store is a must for me. One thing I prefer in Windows 7 is how clicking the clock will show a calendar too.

I like Day-O. Exactly what it needs to be, nothing more.

lol internet. posted:

Can anyone tell me the name of the emulator manager/front end which was in development?

OpenEmu?

Wario In Real Life
Nov 9, 2009

by T. Finninho

pipes! posted:

I like Day-O. Exactly what it needs to be, nothing more.
That's so great. Thanks!

EDIT: In ML it for some reason puts the date between the notification center icon and the spotlight icon (none of which you can actually move).

Oh well I'll try it out for a bit and see if that little nuance causes me to sperg out enough to not use it. It's probably just part of the code for it to be "locked in as the 2nd menubar item" so maybe he'll make a quick update even though he said he won't do updates.

Wario In Real Life fucked around with this message at 19:17 on Jul 18, 2012

lol internet.
Sep 4, 2007
the internet makes you stupid

Thanks. That's the one. Forgot about it for a month, was hoping it would be out now :(

dox
Mar 4, 2006

Mug posted:

How can I remote desktop into my Mac from Windows?

I'm surprised no one mentioned TeamViewer... I use this on many different machines and find it impeccably useful for tech support for various family members, friends, etc.

Ratjaculation
Aug 3, 2007

:parrot::parrot::parrot:

Hey guys, is there any easy way to stop Snow Leopard creating all those hidden .files (.Spotlight/.Trashes/etc) on an external drive, its pesky when using the drive with non-Mac things.

zalmoxes
Sep 30, 2009

:eurovision:

Ratjaculation posted:

Hey guys, is there any easy way to stop Snow Leopard creating all those hidden .files (.Spotlight/.Trashes/etc) on an external drive, its pesky when using the drive with non-Mac things.

System Preferences > Spotlight > Privacy

Exclude the drive you don't want indexed from the list. Should get rid of OS X metadata.

A PC Game
May 7, 2007
Is there an RSS reader with a vertical interface that takes up about a third of the screen? Something I can leave open next to Safari? All of the ones I have seen are made to be used horizontally like Reeder or are integrated into the desktop background. Seems like this shouldn't be hard to find but I'm not having any luck.

kapalama
Aug 15, 2007

Ratjaculation posted:

zalmoxes posted:

System Preferences > Spotlight > Privacy

Exclude the drive you don't want indexed from the list. Should get rid of OS X metadata.

Unfortuately OS X has always poo poo up Fat32 volumes with random hidden files, most of which have nothing to do with spotlight.

On the other hand, Windows shits up volumes with a bunch of hidden files too, but we just don't usually see them.

Polymerized Cum
May 5, 2012
What is the best bit of software to convert PDFs into ePub format?

I know it sounds trivial, but I hate the fact that PDFs on my iPad have that stupid binder look, where ePubs look like an ordinary textbook.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kapalama
Aug 15, 2007

duck monster posted:

You mean whilst outside the US, 'whilst' is a perfectly valid word.

It's a dipshit word whilst in the US though.