Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

cereal eater
Aug 25, 2008

I'd save these, if I wanted too

ps i dont deserve my 'king' nickname
Made a double batch of red beans and rice today, eyed out the hot sauce additions and put in too much. I googled how to decrease spice, and I think adding some shredded Mexican cheese will help a bit - any other advice please?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CzarChasm
Mar 14, 2009

I don't like it when you're watching me eat.

cereal eater posted:

Made a double batch of red beans and rice today, eyed out the hot sauce additions and put in too much. I googled how to decrease spice, and I think adding some shredded Mexican cheese will help a bit - any other advice please?

How much did you over do it by? A teaspoon or two? A quarter cup? Has it come to the point where it is inedible due to the spice level?

Did you cook all of your rice that you had on hand? If not, you can maybe cook up a little bit more and mix it in to the main batch, which should spread the heat around a little bit. Same with beans, if you have some left over, cook them up and add them in.

Otherwise cheese will help mellow it out, you can serve it with a little sour cream on the side to ease the burning.

If it is to the point however where it can't even be eaten, there's not a hell of a lot you can do.

GrAviTy84
Nov 25, 2004

CzarChasm posted:

If it is to the point however where it can't even be eaten, there's not a hell of a lot you can do.

Throw it all into a blender and serve it as spicy bean dip with chips.

Edit: lol that was pretty :goonsay: of me to recommend.

cereal eater
Aug 25, 2008

I'd save these, if I wanted too

ps i dont deserve my 'king' nickname
Thanks for replies guys. I'm using a variation of the goon recipe that I've been using for years. I usually throw half the beans in a blender when it's done, to help it thicken. I have canned kidney beans I could add at some point as well? Not sure if that'd be a good idea.

Anyways it's in the simmering stage now where it's pretty brothy, flavor is solid but you can definitely feel spice in throat. Not inedible, but my girlfriends mom is kinda sensitive to spice. I eyed out a good amount of siracha, and some habanero Tabasco.

I dumped in some cider vinegar, diced tomatoes, and a small cann of tomato sauce; seems to have helped a bit. I'm thinking continue cooking, and adding shredded cheese towards the end should help

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
I'm late to bean chat but the last post reminded me. Is the reason I've always found beans to have a kind of chalky texture because they've been canned? I sort of notice it with fresh broad beans but its been ages since I've had some so can't say I remember very well

Filboid Studge
Oct 1, 2010
And while they debated the matter among themselves, Conradin made himself another piece of toast.

Has anyone tried cooking char siu on a charcoal grill?

nwin
Feb 25, 2002

make's u think

What's the trick to making soft chocolate chip cookies? Cold butter, melted butter, put the dough balls in the fridge right before the oven?

FishBulb
Mar 29, 2003

Marge, I'd like to be alone with the sandwich for a moment.

Are you going to eat it?

...yes...

nwin posted:

What's the trick to making soft chocolate chip cookies? Cold butter, melted butter, put the dough balls in the fridge right before the oven?

Brown sugar instead of white.

RazorBunny
May 23, 2007

Sometimes I feel like this.

Shortening instead of butter helps too.

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

Are there any varieties of cheese with a similar texture but different taste than Parmesan? I'm looking for more gnawable cheeses, but most of these sites I'm finding on google interpret "hard cheese" as "non-soft cheese".

GrAviTy84
Nov 25, 2004

The Moon Monster posted:

Are there any varieties of cheese with a similar texture but different taste than Parmesan? I'm looking for more gnawable cheeses, but most of these sites I'm finding on google interpret "hard cheese" as "non-soft cheese".

Grana Padano, pecorino Romano, manchego, very long aged cheddars and goudas.

Mach420
Jun 22, 2002
Bandit at 6 'o clock - Pull my finger

Filboid Studge posted:

Has anyone tried cooking char siu on a charcoal grill?

It comes out better than restaurant offerings, where natural gas ovens are normally used.

Medium heat, bank the coals on one side, and have the meat on the other. Having the coals directly underneath may burn the hell out of the meat because of all the sugar in the marinade. You'll have to flip the meat every so often so it doesn't char badly. About 5-8 minutes before they're done, brush some honey on and allow it to caramelize a bit.

Drink and Fight
Feb 2, 2003

GrAviTy84 posted:

Romano is not very gnawable but the rest of these are delicious.

Eeyo
Aug 29, 2004

nwin posted:

I guess this is rather obvious, but don't overbake them. When they start to brown a little on top is a good starting point to pull them. If they're well brown on top they might be too done and will be less soft.

Gorman Thomas
Jul 24, 2007
So I made some spaghetti bolognese over the weekend by following this recipe.

I thought it turned out pretty good but the meat tended to stick together in larger clumps than I would have liked. Any way to avoid this?

pile of brown
Dec 31, 2004

cereal eater posted:

more volume in general, by adding beans or rice or more sauteed veg. also the spicy is soluble in fat, so adding oil, meat fat or cream will disperse the heat most effecively.

nwin posted:

the stuff everyone else said, also kneading the cookie dough like bread for a minute or two will make them more chewy, but can also make them tough.

SubG
Aug 19, 2004

It's a hard world for little things.

THE RED MENACE posted:

So I made some spaghetti bolognese over the weekend by following this recipe.

I thought it turned out pretty good but the meat tended to stick together in larger clumps than I would have liked. Any way to avoid this?
Short answer: use some pasta water.

Longer answer: put the portion of Bolognese you're planning on using in a pan with a little oil, bring it up to temperature, add a little pasta water, raise the heat, add the pasta to the pan when it's almost but not quite done, finish it in the pan.

Much longer answer: see GrAviTy84's thread.

Didion
Mar 16, 2009
Please recommend me a feta based pizza. One that doesn't involve spinach :) (no way of getting it today)

rj54x
Sep 16, 2007

Didion posted:

Please recommend me a feta based pizza. One that doesn't involve spinach :) (no way of getting it today)

I'm a big fan of a basil-pesto sauce, feta, red onion. Toss a bit of fresh tomato on after you pull it from the oven. Very salty but ever so delicious.

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer

GrAviTy84 posted:

Don't forget asiago.

toplitzin
Jun 13, 2003

I started marinating some chicken in yogurt for curry on Monday night.

I've forgot about it until just now. Is it still worth cooking?

pile of brown
Dec 31, 2004
what does it smell like?

toplitzin
Jun 13, 2003

pile of brown posted:

what does it smell like?

I haven't checked it yet. I'll let you know when I get home, I was concerned it may have not even been worth smelling.

AHugeDickhead
Dec 8, 2008
I have roughly a pound of chicken livers. I do not want to fry them (although I do love deep-fried livers). Any recommendations?

SubG
Aug 19, 2004

It's a hard world for little things.

RHIN0002 posted:

I have roughly a pound of chicken livers. I do not want to fry them (although I do love deep-fried livers). Any recommendations?
How about pâté?

DekeThornton
Sep 2, 2011

Be friends!
Tomorrow i'm planning to cook a 3 kg leg of lamb, and i want it to end up at about 60 degrees or so inside. should 8 hours at about 70 degrees be good?

CzarChasm
Mar 14, 2009

I don't like it when you're watching me eat.
What is the best way to store baked goods? I make biscuits and scones and muffins and the like, but every time I try to store them the get a gummy texture to them and lose some of their appeal.

I have tried plastic wrap, tupperware, foil and ziploc bags, all have this same issue? How can I store these items to keep them at their best?

paraquat
Nov 25, 2006

Burp

CzarChasm posted:

What is the best way to store baked goods? I make biscuits and scones and muffins and the like, but every time I try to store them the get a gummy texture to them and lose some of their appeal.

I have tried plastic wrap, tupperware, foil and ziploc bags, all have this same issue? How can I store these items to keep them at their best?

tupperware or any other airtight storage is perfect, but you got to be sure they're completely cooled down after baking (and that takes way longer than you'd think...)

ItalicSquirrels
Feb 15, 2007

What?

paraquat posted:

tupperware or any other airtight storage is perfect, but you got to be sure they're completely cooled down after baking (and that takes way longer than you'd think...)

To be on the safe side, leave them out over night. That way you can also get up late at night and have a tasty snack already laid out. And no, food safety is not an issue unless you both live in a cesspit and have an immunodeficiency disease.

Splizwarf
Jun 15, 2007
It's like there's a soup can in front of me!
Oh god, don't do that, they'll dry out so bad.

Mr. Wiggles
Dec 1, 2003

We are all drinking from the highball glass of ideology.

DekeThornton posted:

Tomorrow i'm planning to cook a 3 kg leg of lamb, and i want it to end up at about 60 degrees or so inside. should 8 hours at about 70 degrees be good?

It depends a lot on the thickness of your leg, whether it's boned, etc. But personally I would go with a higher temperature for a shorter amount of time. Doing it the way you posted will result in very dry and not very tasty lamb unless you're braising it.

DekeThornton
Sep 2, 2011

Be friends!
well, the bone is still in. how about 200 degrees, centigrade, until it hits 60? should take about an hour and a half, i guess?

also, i'm thinking of serving it with a risotto made from stock left from when i made lambshanks mixed with white wine and chicken stock. would that pose any issues?

DekeThornton fucked around with this message at 21:48 on Jul 19, 2012

toplitzin
Jun 13, 2003

pile of brown posted:

what does it smell like?

After several deep sniffs, it smells like chicken, spices, and yogurt. Dinner is on!

homerlaw
Sep 21, 2008

Plants are the best ergo Sylvari=Best
What's a good light pasta recipe to go alongside fish?

Fleta Mcgurn
Oct 5, 2003

Porpoise noise continues.
I just bought a bunch of figs at Trader Joe's. Aside from just snarfing them, what are some ideas I could use them for? Savoury dishes a plus.

All I can think of is combining them with goat cheese...

Happy Abobo
Jun 21, 2007

Looks tastier, anyway.
Figs pair beautifully with strong and/or salty cheeses, particularly blues. They're great in appetizers, though I'm drawing a bit of a blank for savoury main dishes. Maybe a fig and grilled Haloumi salad?

GrAviTy84
Nov 25, 2004

bringmyfishback posted:

I just bought a bunch of figs at Trader Joe's. Aside from just snarfing them, what are some ideas I could use them for? Savoury dishes a plus.

All I can think of is combining them with goat cheese...

Split em and grill em and serve em with pork or lamb or a really rich beef thing. One of the best dishes I've ever put in my mouth was like this. Was a sous vide wagyu beef cheek with grilled figs and stonefruit, fresh spring peas, and demi glace at Jose Andres' Tres in Bev Hills. So good.

RazorBunny
May 23, 2007

Sometimes I feel like this.

homerlaw posted:

What's a good light pasta recipe to go alongside fish?

Toss some angel hair in a little lemon butter, that's all you need.

Mr. Wiggles
Dec 1, 2003

We are all drinking from the highball glass of ideology.

DekeThornton posted:

well, the bone is still in. how about 200 degrees, centigrade, until it hits 60? should take about an hour and a half, i guess?

That would probably work a lot better, and would get you a much nicer crust. Still watch for drying, though - maybe wrap it with some caul fat if you can get any.

quote:

also, i'm thinking of serving it with a risotto made from stock left from when i made lambshanks mixed with white wine and chicken stock. would that pose any issues?

Not at all, and in fact it sounds tasty. Use extra butter.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Airconswitch
Aug 23, 2010

Boston is truly where it all began. Join me in continuing this bold endeavor, so that future generations can say 'this is where the promise was fulfilled.'
Bit of an odd question, but does anyone know where I can order/purchase perlette grapes? I live in the Northeast, and my mother has been insisting that those were the variety she loved as a child. I would like to get her some, but cursory Googling has failed me.