Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Manifest
Jul 7, 2007

HELLO THERE I COME FROM THE FUTURE
Nope, sorry. It's hilarious and always will be.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xAjFBslfapk

The way she sounds so disinterested just kills me.
"Can't imagine no horse mountin' no person."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

null_user01013
Nov 13, 2000

Drink up comrades
I liked the "I ate my brother" bit too, I can't explain why either.

Former Human
Oct 15, 2001

prefect posted:

Also, Shuli is much, much less funny than Benjy. Not even close.

At least Shuli can actually talk like a human being. Benjy shits up the radio with non-answers and constant shtick.

Shuli has some hilarious stories, like the time he was on the plane with the rear end in a top hat rabbi who talked trash about people in Hebrew thinking no one would understand it and Shuli totally busted him.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6e4mChUKRG4

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

Former Human posted:

At least Shuli can actually talk like a human being. Benjy shits up the radio with non-answers and constant shtick.

Shuli has some hilarious stories, like the time he was on the plane with the rear end in a top hat rabbi who talked trash about people in Hebrew thinking no one would understand it and Shuli totally busted him.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6e4mChUKRG4

I believe the term is "shitthatdidnthappen.txt". :)

Mr Hands Colon
May 7, 2009

requiescant in pace.

prefect posted:

Yes, pretty much a made up story because he blew it covering a red carpet event. It was still funny though.

Atheist Sunglasses
Jul 26, 2003

All the candy you want. Crotton crandy, crandy apple. I like to go on the best ride first. Name of roller croaster.

Did Howard talk about the death of Bianca on today's show?

Former Human
Oct 15, 2001

prefect posted:

You really think Shuli concocted a fake story to get 5 minutes of air time? What part of his story was unbelievable? He busted a guy on a plane by knowing Hebrew. Wow, that could never happen :rolleyes:

Do you also believe Howard wears a wig?

musclecoder
Oct 23, 2006

I'm all about meeting girls. I'm all about meeting guys.

Atheist Sunglasses posted:

Did Howard talk about the death of Bianca on today's show?

Yeah for about the first 15-20 minutes. He was on the verge of crying (justifiably) the whole time.

Crotch Bat
Dec 6, 2003

Much like with everything else in life, the Euros seem to have more sense on how to do things in a fun atmosphere without sucking the soul out of the event.

Former Human posted:

You really think Shuli concocted a fake story to get 5 minutes of air time?

You know, not that I necessarily believe he made it up but yes, I think he'd do it for air time.

Slaine
Feb 26, 2001
Benjy deserves every beating he gets, but this was worth his antics.

DangerDummy!
Jul 7, 2009

A little out of the loop here. Why does Benjy look like the guy from Nickelback?

Smeep
Jan 20, 2004

Holy poo poo it's fat Jared Leto.

Manifest
Jul 7, 2007

I dunno, Ben-She is pretty great.

I love how he irritates Howard all the time, the fact that Gary and Robin loving despise him, and his willingness to do virtually anything for the show.
I think people overblow the Kaufman thing, I believe that Benjy is a legitimately hosed up guy, which is why I like him on the show.

Slaine
Feb 26, 2001

DangerDummy! posted:

A little out of the loop here. Why does Benjy look like the guy from Nickelback?

Last December his pop singer girlfriend gave him a retarded rockstar makeover.

Sasquatch!
Nov 18, 2000

DangerDummy! posted:

He looks like the retarded offspring of Captain Jack Sparrow and Snooki in those pictures.

Smeep
Jan 20, 2004

I know I'll regret asking this, but who's in the background in the Ben-She picture?

Qaz Kwaz
Jul 24, 2003
What's your email? I've got some shitty posts that you NEED to read.
Looks like Jason Kaplan

beergod
Nov 1, 2004
NOBODY WANTS TO SEE PICTURES OF YOUR UGLY FUCKING KIDS YOU DIPSHIT
Benjy is worth having on just for Fred's impression and the spins on various celebrity names.

George Ballooney.

Chicago Death Rate
Jul 23, 2001

by Ralp
Am I completely out of line when I say that the only two people that consistently make me laugh are Richard Christy and Fred? Fred chuckling induces a smile from me and something about Richard is just funny as poo poo. His speech is so slow yet deliberate.

Also the MLP youtube video posted is getting blown the gently caress up still. Had no idea there were so many Bronies.

CapnPyro
Mar 18, 2003
I draw stuff.
Am I completely out of line in saying that I change the channel any time a phony phone call (or as they're now called a tradio call) comes on?

OG KUSH BLUNTS
Jan 4, 2011

That Obama impression was unreal.

CapnPyro posted:

Am I completely out of line in saying that I change the channel any time a phony phone call (or as they're now called a tradio call) comes on?

Those own, what is wrong with you.

quote:

Also the MLP youtube video posted is getting blown the gently caress up still. Had no idea there were so many Bronies.

Our nerd culture is trying to out beat Japan in the creepy factor.

null_user01013
Nov 13, 2000

Drink up comrades

CapnPyro posted:

Look how wrong this post is, look at it. It's amazing in it's wrongness.

I could listen to Ethel all day.

OG KUSH BLUNTS
Jan 4, 2011

AxeManiac posted:

I love this one so much:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WiNvHi0mogA&t=43s

Chicken Butt
Oct 27, 2010

AxeManiac posted:

My favorite aspect of the Ethel character is that not one person has ever believed that "she" is a woman, and yet Richard continues to try to fool people.

liz con queso
Feb 1, 2008

juguete sin queso

Sean_Miller posted:

Am I completely out of line when I say that the only two people that consistently make me laugh are Richard Christy and Fred? Fred chuckling induces a smile from me and something about Richard is just funny as poo poo. His speech is so slow yet deliberate.

Totally and completely agree with you about hearing Fred laugh and just, everything about Richard. I think Richard is genuinely a really sweet human being and his whole upbringing and attitude about life is so funny. His dad's voice mails kill me.

Oh my god, regarding Bianca, I definitely started crying while listening to Howard talk about her this morning. I'm a huge animal lover and also my family had to put our 14 year old dog asleep recently, so it hit really close to home. I feel so bad for him and Beth. RIP you floppy, sloppy faced doggie. <3

Manifest
Jul 7, 2007

AxeManiac posted:

FRED TELL EM ABOUT OUR ACCOUNTANT HE'S A JEW TOO

I'm amazed that no one has called out Ethel Mertz as being the name of a character on I Love Lucy.

UltimoDragonQuest
Oct 5, 2011

jimma posted:

My favorite aspect of the Ethel character is that not one person has ever believed that "she" is a woman, and yet Richard continues to try to fool people.
He's so dedicated to Ethel.

High Pitch was a more believable woman when he tried to get twat cream.

Streebs
Dec 6, 2003

RIP
Sal and Richard are really getting into those tradio calls. I wish I could find it on youtube but basically they use a recording of one of the tradio regular callers, Rick, to call in to tradio with. Then of course the real Rick calls the tradio guy complaining that someone is posing as him. It starts a bit slow but gets really funny. Sometimes Sal and Richard are geniuses

musclecoder
Oct 23, 2006

beergod posted:

Benjy is worth having on just for Fred's impression and the spins on various celebrity names.

George Ballooney.

Huge Hefner

Szyznyk
Mar 4, 2008

CapnPyro posted:

I've been known to skip a Nervous Mark call or two. Or long calls that I've heard seven billion times, like when they call a pitzeria or deli.

Mr Underhill
Feb 14, 2012

Not picking that up.
Listening to the latest show now and I'm moved by how affected Howard is by Bianca's death. Goes to show animals really bring out the best in people.

As for the show, am I the only one not really seeing it as a comedy show? I've only listened for 2 years (yeah, I know), but I really made up for something like six already, and the actual laugh out loud moments are really few and far in between (the latest I can remember off the top of my head other than prank calls was Benji with the city council Footloose speech). And I really don't mind. I just love the banter, whether it's positive or negative, I love Howard getting real angry, and I love either totally agreeing with him and Robin or raging at how dimwitted they can seem at times (especially regarding everything foreign, but that might be cause I'm European).

I love Robin's general attitude and I hate her fake laugh, but I guess that comes with the years and the territory. Of course, Artie and Jackie were long gone by the time I hopped on the bandwagon, but listening back, I don't really think the show suffers from lack of them, and believe me, the show kicks major rear end from a newbie's perspective. It's a little bit disconcerting reading how some people call themselves fans yet bash Howard worse than his official detractors do.

Other than that, glad I googled this thread, I'll be watching it. Hey Now!

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Star Trek: The Motion Picture is a boring movie

CapnPyro posted:

You need to visit a shrink because something is wrong with your head.

beep by grandpa
May 5, 2004

Mr Underhill posted:

It's a little bit disconcerting reading how some people call themselves fans yet bash Howard worse than his official detractors do.
Oh you'll understand one day, then you'll be just like us. Really though there's actually more love than hate in our posts :kiddo:

musclecoder
Oct 23, 2006

Mr Underhill posted:

As for the show, am I the only one not really seeing it as a comedy show?

I think a lot of Howard's humor is in subtleties that you pick up as you listen to the show for a while. For example, the other day he's doing his Ted Kennedy impression talking about how his parents removed his sister's brain because she touched her vagina.

They did actually give her a lobotomy (which is horrible), but the idea that they removed her whole brain, to me at least, is just absolutely hilarious.

I usually miss a lot of those the first time I listen to the show but pick up on them later in the afternoon when I'm listening to it again.

Mr Underhill
Feb 14, 2012

Not picking that up.
Yeah. Well, I love the show, it's just that, with the notable exception of Beet who is an absolute thrill every time, I just don't find the whack pack for example amusing. I find a lot of them very interesting to listen to but I rarely crack a smile.

And one thing that was really difficult to get used to was the tattletale aspect of the show that's almost omnipresent . I mean I know it's a trademark and an ongoing bit etc etc but it still is sometimes cringe inducing, and the undisputed master is no doubt Baba Booey. It's still amazing to me every time how intelligent 40+ men can turn into straight faced 2nd graders like that, and then of course the piling on... I think that and Howard's bickering about any other place other than good ol' US of A are the two elements of the show that were hardest to adjust to.

But hey, they're schticks and they work. It was just weird at first seeing how everyone, staff and callers, takes that attitude at face value and runs with it. And I gotta admit I was tempted to bail on them every once in a while when it sounded like they were the radio equivalent of a frat party... I can't even imagine what they were like in the 80s, and I'm not planning on listening to that stuff either. But I'm glad I stuck with it.

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

Mr Underhill posted:

And one thing that was really difficult to get used to was the tattletale aspect of the show that's almost omnipresent . I mean I know it's a trademark and an ongoing bit etc etc but it still is sometimes cringe inducing, and the undisputed master is no doubt Baba Booey.

I will now dispute. :D

Baba Booey is nothing compared to the backstabbing tattletale master, Stuttering John. Here's some of John in action:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K4CVyGhdEzc

He was like the CIA, spying on everybody else and reporting them to Howard.

Mr Underhill
Feb 14, 2012

Not picking that up.
well, jot that down as a beginner's mistake on my part, haven't really been listening to john-era reruns. Whatever happened to that Teflon don flick he was pushing around?

null_user01013
Nov 13, 2000

Drink up comrades
It's hilarious to see them scramble to blame each other and avoid the directed wrath of Howard. Throwing people under the bus is an Olympic sport with these guys.

Bonzo
Mar 11, 2004

Just like Mama used to make it!
It's so funny to hear Gary resort to "Oh yeah!? Well you..." and they just ignore him and laugh even harder.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

rawdog pozfail
Jan 2, 2006

by Ralp
No mention of Lisa G's most recent cringeworthy moment? She came in and was asked about her opinions of 50 shades of grey (fem erotica book) and revealed that while it turned her on she didn't get wet or masturbate. She said if she had a man it would be different, and then revealed that it's been so long for her that she'd probably be up for a night with Ronnie at this point.

It sounded like she was trying to joke around and go alone with the show (for the first time ever) but Howard picked up on what an insane statement it was and stopped her going "Lisa, Lisa, are you serious? You'd go out with Ronnie?" and she just kept up her "Sure, why not" schtick. On the wrap up show Ronnie was playing it cool going "Yeah, I think she could handle it, and I think it'd be no big deal and things would go back to normal right after"

so