Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

hayden.
Sep 11, 2007

here's a goat on a pig or something
sigtrap would have never let this happen. Where is our savior.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Marv Hushman
Jun 2, 2010

Freedom Ain't Free
:911::911::911:

n8r posted:

a 40 year old 17hp shitbox

Step on each other's blue suede shoes all you like, but leave the bikes out of it. Bad form, bad karma, mother of all dick moves.

And yeah, it's as bitchy as a New Orleans cathouse with busted air conditioning in here.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Marv Hushman posted:

Step on each other's blue suede shoes all you like, but leave the bikes out of it. Bad form, bad karma, mother of all dick moves.

It's not even correct, because it's it's 41 years old and makes closer to 30hp thank you very much :colbert: (also I have brand new design bridgestones, not hipster tires, geez)

Here's a bike for the new page.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

You loving assholes, 20+ posts on one page of a pic/vid thread arguing instead of posting pictures and videos.

Silver
May 12, 2001

Suzuki lover number one!
:cool:

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Nuevo
May 23, 2006

:eyepop::shittypop::eyepop::shittypop::eyepop::shittypop::eyepop::shittypop::eyepop::shittypop::eyepop::shittypop::eyepop::shittypop::eyepop::shittypop:
Fun Shoe

Sagebrush posted:

Here's a bike for the new page.

There's something seriously off about having such a huge slab-sided fork on such an otherwise minimalist bike. The integrated front calipers are pretty tight though.

fake edit: While looking at the calipers I just noticed the front hub is hollow. That does kind of break up the giant slab of fork a bit... hrm.

ReelBigLizard
Feb 27, 2003

Fallen Rib

IOwnCalculus posted:

You loving assholes.

Oh, is it ok to post pictures in here now? Cool!

nsaP
May 4, 2004

alright?

Sagebrush posted:

I don't particularly care if you think I'm writing too much, and you're not required to make any replies. Report the post if it helps, and move on. I assume this is what you did, because you weren't participating until just now. N8r on the other hand doesn't seem to have the same problem with text diarrhea, given the last twenty posts or so in this thread.

The most valuable post to me has been schreib's single link to Racing Line, since now I understand what I was looking at in the video. Thanks, schreib! I was incorrect in my assessment and thanks to you, I know better.

I don't report people cause I'm not a sad pissant. I don't think you can report people for being ignorant anyway. You do realize that you're not required to make any replies, either? Just throwing that out there.

edit: whoops we're doing that picture thing again....here's a rider being too nice
(silver's host)

nsaP fucked around with this message at 19:23 on Jul 18, 2012

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Boat posted:

There's something seriously off about having such a huge slab-sided fork on such an otherwise minimalist bike. The integrated front calipers are pretty tight though.

fake edit: While looking at the calipers I just noticed the front hub is hollow. That does kind of break up the giant slab of fork a bit... hrm.

The fork is actually single-sided. It's just a rendering, though, so I'm not sure that everything on it will make geometric or mechanical sense. Glossy and cool to look at though.

Here's another view:

nsaP posted:

You do realize that you're not required to make any replies, either?

And yet I do! Your move. :)

Silver
May 12, 2001

Suzuki lover number one!
My move! Post pictures. Jeez.

ReelBigLizard
Feb 27, 2003

Fallen Rib

Is that a horizontal single with a turbo built into a combination intake manifold/frame? :psyduck:

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

I have an unhealthy obsession with motorcycles.

Proof

n8r posted:

The original 400F seat is probably one of the most interesting/distinctive parts of the 400F design. I'd stick w/ original personally.

Don't have one :(

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

I have an unhealthy obsession with motorcycles.

Proof
layer... uh, up?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6RPbx7DSRzQ

its all nice on rice
Nov 12, 2006

Sweet, Salty Goodness.

Buglord
What the gently caress where are all the pictures?

An observer
Aug 30, 2008

where the stars are drowning and whales ferry their vast souls through the black and seamless sea

Knot My President!
Jan 10, 2005

The pod contains a child that in a pinch can be disassembled to be used as spare parts for the inevitable failure of their transportation

that one guy chad
Jan 12, 2008

The best part about this is the Ohlins sticker on the carriage swingarm.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Xovaan posted:

The pod contains a child that in a pinch can be disassembled to be used as spare parts for the inevitable failure of their transportation

This ducati? Yeah its mostly just kid parts by now.

hayden.
Sep 11, 2007

Is there seriously a child in there? What the gently caress.

hayden.
Sep 11, 2007

clutchpuck
Apr 30, 2004
ro-tard

There was some discussion a while back regarding what happens to the swing arm when you give it all the throttle - whether the rear end stands up, squats, or remains fairly neutral. Keith Code says the suspension is going to want to decompress on throttle application with some of that offset by the weight transfer rearward, something about where the axle is located in relation to the front sprocket/pulley IIRC (does anybody have that link?).

Assuming I am remembering that properly, does the same thing happen on a bike like this, that's slammed so low that the axle sits ABOVE the front sprocket/pulley?

I am not a great motorcycle technician, let alone any sort of engineer so I am particularly clueless here, but curious.

GI Joe jobs
Jun 25, 2005

🎅🤜🤛👷
The impact of the throttle on suspension is driven by chain tension. Geometry of the drive chain determines whether the rear end stands up or squats down. That bike would have the same reaction as any other.

That bike Hayden posted would react the same way.

quote:

The rear wheel Fy tries to make the swing arm go down in the rear. The ground prevents this motion. The opposite vertical force at the front sprocket Fy1 tends to lift the frame, which unloads the rear shock spring. By applying 100 lbs of lifting force directly to the frame, the rear spring is relieved of 100 of the total 400 lbs of rider and bike weight. This causes the bike to rise.
Source: http://www.tootechracing.com/Engine%20torque%20-%20Suspension.htm

GI Joe jobs fucked around with this message at 23:35 on Jul 18, 2012

babyeatingpsychopath
Oct 28, 2000
Forum Veteran

Gullous posted:

The impact of the throttle on suspension is driven by chain tension. Geometry of the drive chain determines whether the rear end stands up or squats down. That bike would have the same reaction as any other.

That bike Hayden posted would react the same way.

quote:

The rear wheel Fy tries to make the swing arm go down in the rear. The ground prevents this motion. The opposite vertical force at the front sprocket Fy1 tends to lift the frame, which unloads the rear shock spring. By applying 100 lbs of lifting force directly to the frame, the rear spring is relieved of 100 of the total 400 lbs of rider and bike weight. This causes the bike to rise.
Source: http://www.tootechracing.com/Engine%20torque%20-%20Suspension.htm

This is, by far, the best explanation of this effect, ever. It shows, with pictures, why what you think should happen doesn't happen.

Marv Hushman
Jun 2, 2010

Freedom Ain't Free
:911::911::911:
Vinyl trawling like I always do 'bout this time, and what do I find but a bunch of leather clad rockers playing the home edition of Wheel of Fortune in front of a Long Island school circa 1987. Creepy? Affirmative.

Zool
Mar 21, 2005

The motard rap
for all my riders
at the track
Dirt hardpacked
corner workers better
step back

Gullous posted:

An ambitious track rider looks for some extra room:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hOSKaF32djw

Braking marker? But I've still got more passes to make!

Shimrod
Apr 15, 2007

race tires on road are a great idea, ask me!

That's awesome and I really want to do that now.

Tenchrono
Jun 2, 2011

I think I was just browsing motorcycle crashes on youtube when this came up on the related video list.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OX_weIUwd_o&feature=youtube_gdata_player

:stare:

Backov
Mar 28, 2010

Tenchrono posted:

I think I was just browsing motorcycle crashes on youtube when this came up on the related video list.

Oh so good.

nsaP
May 4, 2004

alright?

Tenchrono posted:

you've stumbled upon motojournal. Watch their other videos and enjoy. You don't even need to understand french.

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester
Oct 3, 2000

nsaP posted:

you've stumbled upon motojournal. Watch their other videos and enjoy. You don't even need to understand french.
They had me when I saw them mounting a suction cup dildo on the tank of a K1600 while riding.

Nuevo
May 23, 2006

:eyepop::shittypop::eyepop::shittypop::eyepop::shittypop::eyepop::shittypop::eyepop::shittypop::eyepop::shittypop::eyepop::shittypop::eyepop::shittypop:
Fun Shoe

gently caress practicality and sales metrics, Yamaha needs to make the Tesseract and take all my money immediately.

Slim Pickens
Jan 12, 2007

Grimey Drawer
Went to Backfire and didn't think I needed my good camera. Boy was I wrong.

One of those 2-wheel drive dual sports.

No loving clue what this is.

Ridiculous stock exhaust on a Moto Guzzi.

Sadly washed out because of my lovely phone camera.

Gay Nudist Dad
Dec 12, 2006

asshole on a scooter
Son of a bitch. This was the first Backfire I went to where I didn't actually wander the bikes at all, and it looks like I chose loving poorly. I just spent the whole time in Hilliard's with my fellow scooter nerds.

Slim Pickens
Jan 12, 2007

Grimey Drawer
Haha, I spent about a half hour there drinking beer, bullshitting with the brewers and waiting for more bikes to show up. Their dopplebock's pretty drat good(and pretty potent as well), I'll have to pick up a growler and a couple of their awesome glasses next time I'm over in Ballard.

2ndclasscitizen
Jan 2, 2009

by Y Kant Ozma Post

quote:

Bonnevile RZ?

HNasty
Jul 17, 2005

Video games are for children. Dr. Who, Sherlock and Community need to be canceled. Firefly sucked.

Everything you like is bad, everything I like is good and cool. I've had sex. I've stuck my big rod into a babe and it was good. There's proof I've had sex, where's yours ?
Ran across this on the interweb today, a CB750 done the right way.

USD forks, upgrades brakes, upgraded shocks, lightened, a true homage the grand daddy of all super bikes instead of the usual garbage.

HNasty
Jul 17, 2005

Video games are for children. Dr. Who, Sherlock and Community need to be canceled. Firefly sucked.

Everything you like is bad, everything I like is good and cool. I've had sex. I've stuck my big rod into a babe and it was good. There's proof I've had sex, where's yours ?
Almost forgot to trot out the pictures of my old CB, I really do miss this thing.

Knot My President!
Jan 10, 2005

Well, that's one way to tell people you ride a supersport. :haw:

gently caress I want one so bad. Sweet bike dude. :)

Valt
May 14, 2006

Oh HELL yeah.
Ultra Carp

HNasty posted:

Ran across this on the interweb today, a CB750 done the right way.

USD forks, upgrades brakes, upgraded shocks, lightened, a true homage the grand daddy of all super bikes instead of the usual garbage.

That is a awfully small oil tank for a cb750.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hayden.
Sep 11, 2007

HNasty posted:

Almost forgot to trot out the pictures of my old CB, I really do miss this thing.

That's super clean. How much does one in that condition go for?