Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

Alchenar posted:

I honestly can't see why you would want either of those over the modern remake.

They're different experiences? Pirates! is one of my favourite games of all time, and I love the new one as well, but it's not perfect by any means. Just the feel and style of the old games is completely different, and although I'm sure not everyone will find them interesting these days, I don't think the new one is a marked improvement in every way. For one thing, I find the sense of exploration to be much stronger in Pirates! Gold.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

iastudent
Apr 22, 2008

Nice release. I grew up playing the NES version, now I get to see what the originals were like!

Scientastic
Mar 1, 2010

TRULY scientastic.
🔬🍒

I grew up playing the original Apple Macintosh version of the game. It took me a long time to realise that the game could be made a lot easier by employing an atlas.

With respect to the new Pirates! game, the best thing to happen to that game was the release of a trainer that could do the dancing for you.

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum

Alchenar posted:

I wasn't too sure either, but then I started reading the reviews:

five stars, naturally posted:

I played this game like crazy back when it was new.
Got me interested, too - I swallowed a truckload of books on pirates back then.
I wonder if it will run on Linux using Wine.
Wow! I'm sold!

Luisfe
Aug 17, 2005

Hee-lo-ho!

Pyromancer posted:

Because of dancing minigame in every governor's home in modern remake
Age of Pirates 2 is superior to either, but it's full of bugs, even with fan patches there are some left(and it has extra CTDs in win 7)

Dance Dance Pirates is awesome, but the strategy minigame was kind of boring.

404notfound
Mar 5, 2006

stop staring at me

anthonypants posted:

I wasn't too sure either, but then I started reading the reviews:
Wow! I'm sold!

Nostalgia makes everybody gush over just about every GOG release. The reviews are only good for determining if something is bad, not whether it's good.

Also, now that they're technically no longer Good Old Games, how do I refer to them? "Gog" like "goggles," or "gee-oh-gee"?

macnbc
Dec 13, 2006

brb, time travelin'

404notfound posted:

Also, now that they're technically no longer Good Old Games, how do I refer to them? "Gog" like "goggles," or "gee-oh-gee"?

In interviews they always refer to themselves as "Gee-oh-gee"

THE BAR
Oct 20, 2011

You know what might look better on your nose?

They refer to themselves as "gee-oh-gee", but it has always been Gog to me, as in the mythological creature of the end times, or that really crappy ranged Inferno unit in Heroes III you never bothered upgrading, since it would start hitting your own troops with its area effect attacks if you did.

SpRahl
Apr 22, 2008

THE BAR posted:

or that really crappy ranged Inferno unit in Heroes III you never bothered upgrading, since it would start hitting your own troops with its area effect attacks if you did.

The best part was that if you had the Bow of the Sharpshooter artifact (which allows ranged units to fire their weapon even if an enemy is adjacent) they would end up hurting themselves as well.

doctorfrog
Mar 14, 2007

Great.

404notfound posted:

Nostalgia makes everybody gush over just about every GOG release. The reviews are only good for determining if something is bad, not whether it's good.

I really wish reviews had flags, like "MY JUDGEMENT IS CLOUDED BY NOSTALGIA AND I AM REVIEWING THIS GAME WITHOUT HAVING PURCHASED IT FROM GOG OR PLAYING IT IN THE LAST DECADE. FIRST POST!!!"

The 200X release of Pirates was pretty good. I got it about five years ago in the bargain bin, and had some good fun with it. A bit shallow, but great production, well-balanced, and good fun while it lasts, and there's sufficient reason for repeated plays. This would be a great game to play with your kids (boy or girl... and there really should be a way to play as a female pirate), this is exactly the kind of game I would have played to hell and back as a 10 y/o. Soundtrack's pretty good too. I recommend it for casual players if and when it comes to GOG, and since it will probably land at the $10 price point, that you wait for a sale.

Charles Martel
Mar 7, 2007

"The Hero of the Age..."

The hero of all ages

Alchenar posted:

Because of the seagull sounds coming out of the PC Speaker.

This was my very first PC game ever and captured my imagination for a long time. I could still go back and play it.

Sail ho! OH NO IT'S THE SHIP OF THE TREACHEROUS COUNT VON DEL VAUGHT! SHE'S FLYING PIRATE COLORS, CAP'N!

Awesome game. Really showed me what games could be like on the PC. Then I played Doom a couple years later and that was it.

Edit: This was the one I played on 5.25 floppy. :corsair:

Charles Martel fucked around with this message at 02:51 on Jul 18, 2012

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

doctorfrog posted:

The 200X release of Pirates was pretty good. I got it about five years ago in the bargain bin, and had some good fun with it. A bit shallow, but great production, well-balanced, and good fun while it lasts, and there's sufficient reason for repeated plays. This would be a great game to play with your kids (boy or girl... and there really should be a way to play as a female pirate), this is exactly the kind of game I would have played to hell and back as a 10 y/o. Soundtrack's pretty good too. I recommend it for casual players if and when it comes to GOG, and since it will probably land at the $10 price point, that you wait for a sale.

I hope this isn't some sort of violation of a thread rule or anything but Sid Meier's Pirates! is available on Steam as of right now, and for cheaper than what GOG is selling the originals for:

http://www.steamprices.com/us/app/3920/sid-meiers-pirates

Also, I completely agree with your assessment of the game, and thank you to that person who let me know of the existence of a dancing-trainer - really reinvigorates the game for someone who's grown tired of that particular task.

Zeeman
May 8, 2007

Say WHAT?! You KNOW that post is wack, homie!
Reposting from the Steam thread:

Zeeman posted:

People that have been waiting for a Witcher II sale: If you buy both Witcher games on GOG, or if you already own the first one there, it's 66% off for the next 48 hours. It's 50% off otherwise.

http://www.gog.com/en/promo/the_witcher_series__gem__promo/

If you own the first game on Steam (or anywhere else), you can redeem it here to take advantage of the discount

4 inch cut no femmes
May 31, 2011
Can anyone access Gog.com at the moment? It's making my antivirus freak out for some reason.

edit: it got better the moment I posted.

4 inch cut no femmes fucked around with this message at 06:09 on Jul 19, 2012

Athletic Footjob
Sep 24, 2005
Grimey Drawer
Tomb Raider: The Last Revelations + Tomb Raider: Chronicles (4 and 5) are now on GOG together for $9.99 and Interstate '82 is $5.99.

Max Wilco
Jan 23, 2012

I'm just trying to go through life without looking stupid.

It's not working out too well...

I never knew there was an sequel to Interstate '76. Is it any good?

In addition, what was the issue that kept I'76 from working properly? I bought the game around a year ago when it was on sale, but never played it because of all the problems it had. I've heard that you have kill Windows Explorer to get it working properly, but the GOG forums also have installers that are said to fix the issues.

Was there a reason GOG wasn't able to fix it? Plus, does anyone know what the best method of fixing it is?

HoldYourFire
Oct 16, 2006

What's the time? It's DEFCON 1!

Max Wilco posted:

I never knew there was an sequel to Interstate '76. Is it any good?

I vaguely remember hearing that it was Earth-shatteringly bad.

Edit: But the only reviews I can find don't seem to agree.

Mr E
Sep 18, 2007

HoldYourFire posted:

I vaguely remember hearing that it was Earth-shatteringly bad.

Edit: But the only reviews I can find don't seem to agree.

It's pretty bad, and the reviews on GOG are probably very rarely not based off nostalgia.

hong kong divorce lunch
Sep 20, 2005

Mr E posted:

It's pretty bad, and the reviews on GOG are probably very rarely not based off nostalgia.

I doubt they've even bought it again to play. I wish there were some better review system, like if they blocked reviews on the first day or two of release. I don't know, it seems like sometimes people put up 5 stars saying "This isn't out yet but I can't wait" or trash like that.

Armor-Piercing
Sep 22, 2009

Nightly dance
of bleeding swords

synertia posted:

I doubt they've even bought it again to play. I wish there were some better review system, like if they blocked reviews on the first day or two of release. I don't know, it seems like sometimes people put up 5 stars saying "This isn't out yet but I can't wait" or trash like that.
Or at least block reviews from people who don't own the game on GOG.

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!
Don't you think you should put more thought into your battleplan?!

I complained about that once on the official forums. I got some stupid official response about not wanting to limit people's opinions. I can remember the exact wording and I can't even remember what game it was. Their forum sucks for searching for posts (clicking on my post history only shows the last week's worth of posts (all 1 of them), really?) so I can't seem to dig it up.

ToxicFrog
Apr 26, 2008

Max Wilco posted:

In addition, what was the issue that kept I'76 from working properly? I bought the game around a year ago when it was on sale, but never played it because of all the problems it had. I've heard that you have kill Windows Explorer to get it working properly, but the GOG forums also have installers that are said to fix the issues.

Oh man, what issues didn't it have? The most obvious ones are that if explorer is running, it'll have a palettized textures tragedy and go all psychedelic, and if the clock speed isn't just right, the physics engine will go insane and your wheels will start vibrating and the game basically becomes unplayable.

the Arsenal launcher...kind of fixes it. It's not perfect but it gets the game playable.

Cpt Thorne
Apr 13, 2009

I've been waiting ages to see Settlers III and IV in GOG, guess I'll settle (heh heh) for II then.

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

:hmmorks: :orks:

Cpt Thorne posted:

I've been waiting ages to see Settlers III and IV in GOG, guess I'll settle (heh heh) for II then.

God, that terrible pun. You'll actually want this version of Settlers 2 instead of the classic one. Now there's something I wish would show up on GOG at some point.

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

HOLD ON GUYS I'M POSTING ABOUT INTERNET ROBOTS
Interstate 82 is a loving horrific game, and I would urge fans of '76 to stay well away from it. Remember how in Driver 3 they added the ability to get out of the car and walk around and it was awful? Well I'82 did it first and it was even MORE awful. Remember how I'76 had cool funk music throughout? I'82 has Devo. Now I don't mind Devo, but they're not the soundtrack to a driving/shooting action game. It also used to crash a lot for me - I THINK it was overheating my old Voodoo 3, but
I can't really recall exactly.

It's just a bad, bad game. Somehow it's less fun than the original despite being a game where you put guns on cars and shoot people.

doctorfrog
Mar 14, 2007

Great.

Galaga Galaxian posted:

I complained about that once on the official forums. I got some stupid official response about not wanting to limit people's opinions. I can remember the exact wording and I can't even remember what game it was. Their forum sucks for searching for posts (clicking on my post history only shows the last week's worth of posts (all 1 of them), really?) so I can't seem to dig it up.

GOG has nothing to gain by restricting reviews inflated by nostalgia. Treat them like YouTube comments: don't read them. OTOH, they don't block negative reviews either. They're just lucky that their clients are, for the most part, beating the poo poo out of each other to make the first glowing review of every new game that comes out.

As for I76, I was so disappointed with how it ran "out of the box," I just put it on the back burner, hoping it would be fixed. I guess I will try the GOG forum fix at some time, but for now, I just figure I bought a kickass soundtrack for a couple bucks.

Athletic Footjob
Sep 24, 2005
Grimey Drawer
Ceville is now on GOG for $9.99.

Bet
Mar 10, 2003

illegitimate bastard child

Fil5000 posted:

Interstate 82 is a loving horrific game, and I would urge fans of '76 to stay well away from it. Remember how in Driver 3 they added the ability to get out of the car and walk around and it was awful? Well I'82 did it first and it was even MORE awful. Remember how I'76 had cool funk music throughout? I'82 has Devo. Now I don't mind Devo, but they're not the soundtrack to a driving/shooting action game. It also used to crash a lot for me - I THINK it was overheating my old Voodoo 3, but
I can't really recall exactly.

It's just a bad, bad game. Somehow it's less fun than the original despite being a game where you put guns on cars and shoot people.
Tittering because I agree with everything you said and still played through it to the end. I must like those angular 80s vehicles.

Athletic Footjob
Sep 24, 2005
Grimey Drawer
Nexus: The Jupiter Incident is now on GOG for $9.99 and Symphony is available to pre-order at $7.99 (20% off pre-order price).

ExiledTinkerer
Nov 4, 2009
Hmm, I've a weakness for music-involving games in general, and this Symphony game looks pretty solid, way to add to my backlog out of nowhere GoG.

macnbc
Dec 13, 2006

brb, time travelin'
The adventure game sale this weekend is decent.

Everyone who hasn't played the Journeyman Project games should do so, if my avatar isn't enough to say so.

dud root
Mar 30, 2008
^^ Is it worth starting with the 1st?

Xii
Dec 27, 2011

Only the coldest prevail.
Hmm, didn't know they offered Zork Grand Inquisitor on there.
drat ill have to pick that up now.

That reminds me that I wanted to search for an other old game called The Tone Rebellion, anyone remember that game?
That thing is nowhere to be found, cant even find it on ebay.

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

Xii posted:

Hmm, didn't know they offered Zork Grand Inquisitor on there.
drat ill have to pick that up now.

That reminds me that I wanted to search for an other old game called The Tone Rebellion, anyone remember that game?
That thing is nowhere to be found, cant even find it on ebay.

Yeah, I remember it. It was a really bizarre, like, sound-based strategy game from The Logic Factory, the dudes who made Ascendancy. I always wanted to play it, but even at the time of its release, it was impossible to find. No, can't tell you where to find it now, either, but Logic Factory still exists. You can maybe try mailing them and see if they will sell you a copy.

Xii
Dec 27, 2011

Only the coldest prevail.

Hakkesshu posted:

Yeah, I remember it. It was a really bizarre, like, sound-based strategy game from The Logic Factory, the dudes who made Ascendancy. I always wanted to play it, but even at the time of its release, it was impossible to find. No, can't tell you where to find it now, either, but Logic Factory still exists. You can maybe try mailing them and see if they will sell you a copy.

Yeah bizarre really is the word to define that game.
It had a unique feel to it, and the gameplay is like nothing else that has been produced so far (at least in the 4X/RTS genre there's nothing that really resembles it).

Too bad most of my old games have been lost with time.

Xii fucked around with this message at 01:11 on Jul 28, 2012

macnbc
Dec 13, 2006

brb, time travelin'

dud root posted:

^^ Is it worth starting with the 1st?

Not really. It (or at least the original version of it, which isn't even on GOG) hasn't aged well at all. The 2nd game does a good job of providing an optional summary of it early on too.

hong kong divorce lunch
Sep 20, 2005
I've been playing Uplink at work during my lunch breaks and waiting for my wife to get off work. It's amazing fun for what it is and is good to dip in and out of. I'm doing pretty well, but I need to get into some banks and government servers now.

Question: How can I raise my neuromancer rating? I thought I was doing pro-hacker stuff but I'm now listed as 'Notorious' and don't want to be phased out of jobs or ostracized by other hackers. What can I do to work back to the good side?

I really like how the story reveals itself, but you never feel pressured to rush anything and can play at your leisure. I did get the first big story reveal though... Interesting stuff, to be sure.

scamtank
Feb 24, 2011

my desire to just be a FUCKING IDIOT all day long is rapidly overtaking my ability to FUNCTION

i suspect that means i'm MENTALLY ILL

synertia posted:

Question: How can I raise my neuromancer rating? I thought I was doing pro-hacker stuff but I'm now listed as 'Notorious' and don't want to be phased out of jobs or ostracized by other hackers. What can I do to work back to the good side?

Data sabotage, file theft and mainframe destruction raise it. Falsifying personal information, tracing hackers and framing others for crimes tank it.

Stick it to The Man yay, stick it to a man boo.

Dolphin Fetus
May 31, 2006

We must kill them. We must incinerate them. Pig after pig. Cow after cow. Village after village. Army after army.
So I just purchased the Ultima 4,5 and 6 pack..but I'm getting no sound for Ultima 4. Is there anyway around this?

Also is the Might and Magic collection a good purchase? Sort of considering Wind Commander and the first Privateer along with Freespace but will they run with a modern joystick?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ToxicFrog
Apr 26, 2008

Dolphin Fetus posted:

Sort of considering Wind Commander and the first Privateer along with Freespace but will they run with a modern joystick?

Freespace should, and if it doesn't out of the box, the open-source engine upgrade definitely does.

WC 1-3 and Privateer run in DOSBox, which does all the necessary work to translate between modern joystick APIs and whatever crazy manufacturer-specific horrors DOS games expect.

That said, they all play just fine with keyboard+mouse too, and that is in fact my preferred way of playing them.