Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

infraboy
Aug 15, 2002

Phungshwei!!!!!!1123
It sounds a little shady with the "my brother screwed me out of this deal"

I'd estimate the registration back fees are around 300$ + the sales tax you'll have to pay depending on what you put on the title before transfering.

I'd go for this instead:
http://www.bayarearidersforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=406500

It has a a few scratches but its got a gsx-r front end and it hasn't sat around for 2 years.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester
Oct 3, 2000

Safety Dance posted:

The repair shop near me has an older ('04? '05?) Multistrada 1000. I was chatting with the owner, and he let it be known that the bike would probably be coming up for sale in a couple of weeks, probably around $5000. Is this a deal, or should I bide my time and make a move on a more recent V-Strom 1000 when the time is right?
That sounds a little cheap actually. Get that Multi. Don't you dare get a V-strom. Budget for some electrical failures, though.

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

Five degrees to starboard!

Why the Multistrada so strongly over a V-Strom 1000 or a Buell Ulysses? General Ducati-ness?

I'll check my finances after I sell my KLR-650, and if the Multi is still for sale, I might jump on it.

Saga
Aug 17, 2009

Safety Dance posted:

Why the Multistrada so strongly over a V-Strom 1000 or a Buell Ulysses? General Ducati-ness?

I'll check my finances after I sell my KLR-650, and if the Multi is still for sale, I might jump on it.

The Weestorm is 15kg heavier. Also has lousy karma in CA due to a certain ex forums member so people will cross themselves whenever you post about it. :eek:

With the 1000DS motor, you don't have to deal with water cooling, albeit you do then have desmo belts and adjustment. The TL motor had high piston speeds and I know there are a number of common mods to them, but whether they actually have reliability issues in service I don't know. The DL1000 is only a year newer than the original multistrada however, and neither are particularly easy to resell (outside of ADVrider classifieds maybe?) due to the ugly duckling factor.

Not sure why you would bother with a newer Wee anyway, as I think it has only ever had cosmetic / instrument cluster updates. From the riding perspective a 2002 and a 2010 in good condition should be very similar machines.

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

Five degrees to starboard!

Saga posted:

The Weestorm is 15kg heavier. Also has lousy karma in CA due to a certain ex forums member so people will cross themselves whenever you post about it. :eek:

With the 1000DS motor, you don't have to deal with water cooling, albeit you do then have desmo belts and adjustment. The TL motor had high piston speeds and I know there are a number of common mods to them, but whether they actually have reliability issues in service I don't know. The DL1000 is only a year newer than the original multistrada however, and neither are particularly easy to resell (outside of ADVrider classifieds maybe?) due to the ugly duckling factor.

Not sure why you would bother with a newer Wee anyway, as I think it has only ever had cosmetic / instrument cluster updates. From the riding perspective a 2002 and a 2010 in good condition should be very similar machines.

I always thought Weestrom referred to the DL650, since it's smaller (it's a wee little thing).

In my mind, a Suzuki motor is going to be more reliable than a Ducati. If that's not the case, I'd be all over the Duc. If the money's right, I might be getting a new bike.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

I think the point is Z3n is a space cowboy on the edge of a frontier unknown to man, he's out there pushing the limits, trail braking into the abyss. Finding out where the edge of the razor is, turning to face the darkness and revving his 690 into it's vast gaze. You gotta live this to learn it bro.
That Duc motor is very reliable. Just gotta take care of maintenance like any other bike. Have heard intermittent tales of electrical woes, but nothing show stopping, generally.

Saga
Aug 17, 2009

Safety Dance posted:

I always thought Weestrom referred to the DL650, since it's smaller (it's a wee little thing).

In my mind, a Suzuki motor is going to be more reliable than a Ducati. If that's not the case, I'd be all over the Duc. If the money's right, I might be getting a new bike.

Pretty sure all 21st century Ducati air cooled motors are fairly indestructible. Just obviously change the belts and do the desmo adjust properly.

I call all V-stroms Weestorms because I don't like adventure bikes and I'm 11 years old basically.

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester
Oct 3, 2000

Safety Dance posted:

Because if you get one, then you can start every post with "As a Ducati owner," and make mootmoot mad.

epswing
Nov 4, 2003

Soiled Meat
What actually happened to mootmoot, for those of us who are (relatively) new to this fine subforum.

He crashed a couple of times, it seems?

echomadman
Aug 24, 2004

Nap Ghost

epalm posted:

What actually happened to mootmoot, for those of us who are (relatively) new to this fine subforum.

He crashed a couple of times, it seems?

He posted a video of him falling off while failing to negotiate a mild left turn, and failing to beat a boy racer in a roll-on race. Then a mildly amusing bit of mockery snowballed into the biggest HURRR I'M FUNNY fest as everyone persisted in dragging his name up whenever anything vaguely stupid was done.

epswing
Nov 4, 2003

Soiled Meat

echomadman posted:

failing to beat a boy racer in a roll-on race

a whatnow?

Saga
Aug 17, 2009

echomadman posted:

He posted a video of him falling off while failing to negotiate a mild left turn, and failing to beat a boy racer in a roll-on race. Then a mildly amusing bit of mockery snowballed into the biggest HURRR I'M FUNNY fest as everyone persisted in dragging his name up whenever anything vaguely stupid was done.

I'm pretty sure when he crashed it was still a straight line. He sort of ran off the right side of the road under braking because he couldn't even get it turned. By Irish standards there aren't even any corners in that video are there? No cow poo poo, gravel, tractors, extreme radii, crowning etc.

I think the association with stupid things on bikes (Jack the Smack is dead, long live mootmoot?) wasn't due to his crashing, which can happen to anyone and is hardly contemptible even if it's one's own fault, but his extended and combative defense of his complete failure at riding a motorcycle.

(Hi mootmoot!)

He had a certain rough charm though. I mean he obviously likes his bikes given his ability to constantly ride into things and yet still get back on. It would be cool if he went club racing because he obviously has no fear and doesn't know how brakes work. Mootmoot, please come back and post more videos dude.

orthod0ks
Mar 2, 2004
anger is a gift

Safety Dance posted:

Get whichever bike you like the most, but I picked up an 04 Multi a couple months ago, and it's a blast. I was coming from a Versys, so I would have seen a power boost with any of those bikes, though. It feels a lot more nimble, and less top-heavy than the Versys.

The multis do have their share of issues, like any bike, but mine has been solid aside from a minor issue or two that people here helped me sort out.

XYLOPAGUS
Aug 23, 2006
--the creator of awesome--
After >3000 miles on my Ninja 250, I find myself browsing local Craigslist listings.

I haven't sat on one, but I've heard excellent things about the CBR600 F4i.

Here's one for sale in my backyard. :stare:

http://losangeles.craigslist.org/ant/mcy/3148389558.html

Hog Obituary
Jun 11, 2006
start the day right

XYLOPAGUS posted:

After >3000 miles on my Ninja 250, I find myself browsing local Craigslist listings.

I haven't sat on one, but I've heard excellent things about the CBR600 F4i.

Here's one for sale in my backyard. :stare:

http://losangeles.craigslist.org/ant/mcy/3148389558.html

The unfortunate thing I've found about the F4i is that it has near super-sport insurance costs while SV650s and Ninja 650s have insurance similar to your 250. Check with your insurer and see if that matters to you.

XYLOPAGUS
Aug 23, 2006
--the creator of awesome--
I went and looked at the F4i today. The owner was very legit and let me test-ride the bike without cash. He said his room-mate was looking at Ninja 250's so he rode mine to see how it felt as well. We followed eachother around town for about 7 or 8 miles. We chatted for quite a bit and I left.

It has 58,XXX miles a clean title, not perfect fairings, and a leaky fork seal (which he said he will have fixed with the asking price). Asking $3,500. I asked about maintenance and he said he has a guy at a local shop who has done all the work for the 2 years that he's owned the bike and that I could call and get all the history for the past 2 years. New chain and sprockets "recently". New tires (Michelin Pilots) and oil changes. It has a power commander and some un-recognizable aftermarket exhaust. We rode to the shop he takes it to and I jotted down the number.

I could flat-foot just as well on the F4i as I could on the Ninja. It was definitely comfortable with a slightly more forward position. Gobs of power, which was a bit addicting, but I did miss the feel of the 250. Shifted VERY smoothly, but I found the rear brake pedal in a bit of a funny spot. Front brakes functioned great though.

If I were to pick this up, I would want to keep the 250 for riding on the canyon roads at least for another 2 months or so and tool around and slowly ramp up to appropriate turning on the CBR. That would hit the bank account pretty hard, but it is tempting......

infraboy
Aug 15, 2002

Phungshwei!!!!!!1123
I would say you could get a lower mileage F4i for that price, but whats also true is that the F4i engine is pretty drat bullet proof, theres one guy who took it to ~170k miles before he had an accident with it and someone else who had ridden it over 200k miles and still going.

That being said I wouldn't pay more than 3k for it. Especially with a leaky fork seal.

Just noticed you're in LA if you took a relatively short trip up to Paso Robles heres a nice red one for the same price.

http://sfbay.craigslist.org/scz/mcy/3140041976.html

The older ones have a split seat as opposed to the banana seat on 04+ models, otherwise they're the same.

Also test/check the charging system, the notorious Regulator Rectifier problems crop up on these bikes I believe.

Abe Froman
Jul 2, 2003

The Sausage King of Chicago
Today I finally got the Ninja 250 I posted about few pages ago...and it had this wonderful surprise courtesy of the PO:

:v:

Abe Froman fucked around with this message at 04:40 on Jul 21, 2012

Zazamoot
Apr 2, 2005
I completed my MSF course a few weeks ago and have been casually watching for bikes to buy. A Ninja 250 seemed like the best bet, but they're often listed for 2.5-5k around NYC.

What about something like this?
---------------------------------------------------
Suzuki GS850 - Great Condition - $1490
What a great bike she is - low mileage (under 17,000) a great runner and a very realistic price point. She is in superb condition for her age. Runs very well at all speeds, handles amazingly. I am only selling her because I have to return to the UK next week - hence the great price.

As you can see from the photos below this is a steal. She has been garage kept, so in superb condition. She comes with a parcel rack that slides, giving you or your partner a back rest.

BRAKES - f and r disk in good condition
SHAFT DRIVE - good condition
TIRES - Shinko V Rated
BATTERY - new last summer
SPARK PLUGS - new last summer

Two very minor issues to note:
1. fuel gauge not working - not sure why, have not investigated
2. two very small tears in the seat cover

If you are into classic bikes, this is for you. The Suzuki GS range was superb. Fantastic engines known to go 100k+ with appropriate servicing and maintenance.

---------------------------------------------------

I'm concerned about the age of the bike and the size of the engine. Is it too much bike, too old, for a beginner? I've got no mechanical experience (or automotive purchasing experience, for that matter). However, I've heard great things about UJMs and this one appears to be in good condition. The price is in line with what I'd like to spend on a first bike.

Zazamoot fucked around with this message at 05:28 on Jul 21, 2012

kenny powerzzz
Jan 20, 2010
I recently got back into riding on a 1982 gs650e and it has been a great bike to do so. The gs are great bikes and pretty reliable except for a lot of them having regulator rectifier and or stator issues. This shouldn't be a reason not to get one as its pretty easy to fix with upgraded parts. As for being too much bike for a beginner they are probably near the top of CA's suggested horsepower at around 75 I would guess but nowhere near a newer four cylinder Suzuki.

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester
Oct 3, 2000

Abe Froman posted:

Today I finally got the Ninja 250 I posted about few pages ago...and it had this wonderful surprise courtesy of the PO:

:v:
Need some spinnaz or something to complete that look. Maybe those valve stem caps that light up.

Nerobro
Nov 4, 2005

Rider now with 100% more titanium!

Zazamoot posted:

I'm concerned about the age of the bike and the size of the engine. Is it too much bike, too old, for a beginner? I've got no mechanical experience (or automotive purchasing experience, for that matter). However, I've heard great things about UJMs and this one appears to be in good condition. The price is in line with what I'd like to spend on a first bike.

Yes, it's to much bike. It's not to old. It's an L, which makes it a bit more comfy for long rides, but makes it harder to deal with in low speed corners. It's got lots of torque, and it comes in low.

That age range is a sweet spot. Nothing complex, electronic ignition, and commodity parts. Someone buy that, not you, not as a first bike. That thing doesn't need you dropping it. :-)

My bike right now is a 1982 GS650E.

Snowdens Secret
Dec 29, 2008
Someone got you a obnoxiously racist av.

Zazamoot posted:

I completed my MSF course a few weeks ago and have been casually watching for bikes to buy. A Ninja 250 seemed like the best bet, but they're often listed for 2.5-5k around NYC.

Widen your search. Here's one just a short train ride away:
http://newyork.craigslist.org/fct/mcy/3147167938.html

There's probably plenty more.

Zazamoot
Apr 2, 2005

Snowdens Secret posted:

Widen your search. Here's one just a short train ride away:
http://newyork.craigslist.org/fct/mcy/3147167938.html

There's probably plenty more.

Thanks, I suppose ought to. My concern is getting the bike home from that distance, since I certainly won't be riding it.

blue squares
Sep 28, 2007

That Ninja actually kind of looks cool in that picture. Don't know if it works in real life.

Snowdens Secret
Dec 29, 2008
Someone got you a obnoxiously racist av.

Zazamoot posted:

Thanks, I suppose ought to. My concern is getting the bike home from that distance, since I certainly won't be riding it.

If you're find a bike in western CT near the train lines but are worried about riding it home to NYC, give me a holler. Assuming it's in good rideable shape, I can ride it in for you for the cost of a few beers afterwards. Manwasmatter at the g mail.

Alternately find a bro with a pickup truck or a big van, get a ramp and some straps and toss it in the back.

Splizwarf
Jun 15, 2007
It's like there's a soup can in front of me!

Snowdens Secret posted:

find a bro with a pickup truck

But you'd need a 20-foot ramp! :v:

Zazamoot
Apr 2, 2005

Snowdens Secret posted:

If you're find a bike in western CT near the train lines but are worried about riding it home to NYC, give me a holler. Assuming it's in good rideable shape, I can ride it in for you for the cost of a few beers afterwards. Manwasmatter at the g mail.

Alternately find a bro with a pickup truck or a big van, get a ramp and some straps and toss it in the back.

That's might neighborly of you!

I'm going to take a look at this one today:

------------------------------------------
kawasaki ex 250 with very low milage ** Great Buy*** - $2000 (kensington)

Kawasaki ex-250 blue. Great shape, never dropped, less than 1000 miles, kept in garage, great light weight bike, good for nyc type traffic. I am looking for 2000 or your best offer. email me and I will forward you pictures. cheers

Key features

---excellent first bike
---6 speed
---there is no other light weight bike in the market as efficient as kawasaki ninja 250

--------------------------------------------

I'm concerned about the absence of any specific details regarding condition or year of the bike. I'm reviewing a used-bike checklist to get ready to look it over.

alnilam
Nov 10, 2009

Hi y'all, I'm thinking of giving this one a look for my very first motorcycle ever. I am currently learning to ride in a MSF class.
It has a bit of a weird look, but that's okay. The engine size seems about right for me - that is, not too big. I was thinking of 400 or 450, so 500 is close enough.

Can anyone recommend a used bike checklist for me to read before going to check it out?
And does this seem like a good beginner motorcycle?

The craigslist ad is a little hmmm, but so are many of them. Also, the photo shows that it has 5800 miles and not 5000, so I guess this poster is using floor() instead of round() :reject:

craigslist posted:

honda v30 super clean - $1500
1983 honda magna v30 500cc super clean bike low miles 5000 , super nice shape aways garage kept 1500.oo please no low ball offers or trades for a 500 it runs great

alnilam fucked around with this message at 02:24 on Jul 23, 2012

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester
Oct 3, 2000

alnilam posted:

And does this seem like a good beginner motorcycle?
Good beginner bike as long as it doesn't need any work. Decent price.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg
:colbert:

Was it all those old 500s that had top end problems or was that just in interceptors of that vintage?

alnilam
Nov 10, 2009

slidebite posted:

Was it all those old 500s that had top end problems or was that just in interceptors of that vintage?

What's "top end problems"?

One thing I heard is that their, um, cams are hard to clean?
I heard this from somebody who read it in a comment section online, so this is super reliable :colbert:
I believe it was a comment about hondas from that year in general, not sure about this model.

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

I have an unhealthy obsession with motorcycles.

Proof

alnilam posted:

What's "top end problems"?

One thing I heard is that their, um, cams are hard to clean?
I heard this from somebody who read it in a comment section online, so this is super reliable :colbert:
I believe it was a comment about hondas from that year in general, not sure about this model.

how can a cam be hard to clean?
remove
clean with parts wash
relube
replace.

slidebite posted:

I'm pretty sure it was both. They had oiling problems, er... not the best oiling and any slight disruption of flow would ruin the ability to get oil to the camshaft.

alnilam
Nov 10, 2009

Okay, the honda v30 has slipped away, but here are two new considerations.
They both seem about right as far as engine size for me as a brand new rider. Note that I'm also possibly hoping that one of them will last long enough to be used for a long tour in a year or two. This explains why the first of these two is a bit more expensive, but I'm still considering it because I think it'd be good for touring.

Craigslist posted:

Cruiser Motorcycle - Mint condition - $3500
1987 Suzuki GS450L. 9k miles. Excellent running and cosmetic condition. Not a scratch, ding or mark on it. No rust. Clean tank, clean chain. Carbs were cleaned last summer. Beautiful metallic blue paint which does not show well in these pics. Garage kept and maintained like no other. Good tires, brakes, battery and just changed filters and plugs. Aftermarket running lights. Very comfortable. Needs nothing, not the slightest flaw . Bike has plenty of power and awesome gas mileage, 60 miles per gallon. I work an extraordinary amount of hours. Anyone wanting to see it or have further questions please call xxxxxxxxxx. I prefer texts. Anyone wanting to see it is welcome. That can be done any day of the week. But, it has to be at noon due to my line of work. I will deliver it anywhere up to 60 miles by truck, free of charge once purchased. If need be. NO TRADES. Please do not waste my time, as I will not waste yours. Thank you.

Craigslist 2 posted:

2007 Kawasaki Vulcan 500 - $2500
Very good condition and runs strong. Removeable windshields (two sizes,) backrest, and saddle bags. Great starter bike and selling to trade-up to larger cruiser. 10,700 miles, $2,500 OBO. Please reply via email with questions.

On this one I found the motorcycle consumer news value to be roughly what this person is asking. The first one is too old to be on that list.

Also, I read this guide on checking out a used motorcycle, seems pretty helpful. But if there are any pittsburgh-area motorcycle goons, I'd really appreciate someone to help me check out bikes! I'll pay in beer :)

A Proper Uppercut
Sep 30, 2008

While nice, 3500 is WAY too much for the GS450. The Vulcan 500 seems much more reasonable to me, and would probably make a decent starter bike.

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

I have an unhealthy obsession with motorcycles.

Proof

Zubumafoo posted:

While nice, 3500 is WAY too much for the GS450. The Vulcan 500 seems much more reasonable to me, and would probably make a decent starter bike.

I don't even think they were that much brand new!

Sir Tonk
Apr 18, 2006
Young Orc

Nerobro posted:

My bike right now is a 1982 GS650E.

So what's your opinion on the GS850G's from that era? I'm looking at an '81 that seems to be in pretty decent shape for under a grand. I've been riding an '83 VT500 for about seven years off and on and don't really care about going fast or amazing handling (I've got fast cars for that). The Shadow isn't very comfortable for distance riding, but it's fun around town. I want something from that era that's decent on the highway, but not Goldwing-sized.

It's been a breeze to get parts for the Shadow, as Honda seems to make most of the stuff still, but have never dealt with parts for thirty year old Suzukis. Are there any parts that'd be challenging to acquire other than proprietary things like decals?

The bike in question:

VVVV Thanks so much, gonna go check it out this weekend. I'll grab some photos even if I end up not getting it.

Sir Tonk fucked around with this message at 17:31 on Jul 26, 2012

Nerobro
Nov 4, 2005

Rider now with 100% more titanium!

alnilam posted:

GS450, $3500
Wow, what's that guy smoking. A minty GS1100 will get that. Wait two weeks, offer $2k. Or offer $2k now, and say the offer stands. My money is he'll come to you later. It also needs new tires.

Sir Tonk posted:

So what's your opinion on the GS850G's from that era? *snip*

It's been a breeze to get parts for the Shadow, as Honda seems to make most of the stuff still, but have never dealt with parts for thirty year old Suzukis. Are there any parts that'd be challenging to acquire other than proprietary things like decals?

The bike in question:

Well, what do I think of them? You don't need to ask my opinion, ask all the messengers in Europe. Suzuki put the GS850G out of production, and it produced such an uproar that Suzuki put the bike BACK INTO PRODUCTION.

They're like most GS's. You can expect "running like new" to last well past 100,000 miles. And with the G's you're not swapping chains.

Suzuki only re-engineers parts when they absolutely have to. The GS850G wheels, swingarm, transmission, headset, fork, etc... are all the same as most other GS####Gs. So parts are very, very common. And unlike honda, not model specific! For a vast number of GS parts, it's a GS part. Not a GS750 part. Or like most hondas a 1982-84 CB450SC part.

The parts supply is deep, the only thing that can get hard to find are clean exhausts.

Just to give you what I think too. If I bought a big block GS, it would be a GS850G. That said, it's going to be a long while before I give up my GS650E. :-) That 850 is also the right color.

the walkin dude
Oct 27, 2004

powerfully erect.
So I just finally landed myself a great job with great pay. My years of sliding by on savings and inadequate-pay jobs are now over. I can start working more comprehensively on my bike addiction and start expanding my stable from SV650's onward. Been looking for DRZ's and 1000cc I-4s and v-twins, as the autumn horrors start to emerge on the horizon and people start to think about offloading their bikes.

Just wanted to say gently caress YEAH. Motorcycles rock.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

n8r
Jul 3, 2003

I helped Lowtax become a cyborg and all I got was this lousy avatar
The first thing you should do is sell your sv650 don't include it in your stable of bikes.